Challenge: President Henry Ford

I've just finished reading My Life and Work by Henry Ford, which is less of an autobiography than his views on business and the world in general. After reading his work it seems peculiar to me that Ford never went into politics. He built his own school and hospital and ran them according to his own philosophies as he did with his factories and farms, and this suggests to me that he was actively trying to reform things by setting an example.
What if he went one step further and built a political career to fulfill his vision? Could Ford have become President? And what would a Fordian inter-war America be like?
Unfortunately my knowledge of American inter-war politics is somewhat limited so I'm going to need some help with this.

Ford was very authoritarian (not to mention anti-Semitic). He may have gathered a following c. 1916, but not in the twenties, a period of prosperity in the US. His own desire to completely control his domain might have made politics in a pluralistic democracy unattractive to him.

Suppose a democrat had been elected president in 1928 and suppose that president practically ignored the economic crisis that would become known as the Great Depression. Then, Ford might have attracted an audience in 1932. But at the time, automobile manufacture was one of the few healthy sectors of the economy, so again, he may have backed off. At age 69, such a career turn would have been a stretch.

Is there any way that Henry Ford might have become the ruler of another country? Maybe the Russian Empire or the Soviet Union collapses, in the period 1915-1925, and Henry Ford is sent over with US connivance to take control of an oil-producing region, perhaps...? Is that too unlikely?

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World was based in part on Ford's assembly-line ideas.
"Cleanliness is next to Fordliness" is one of the slogans.
Has anybody written a timeline showing how the world went from OTL 1900 (let's say) to the novel's 25th century (or whatever year it was)? What would be the POD from OTL?

Sorry, I've not checked up on this thread over the past couple of days but thanks for the feedback.
I am aware that Ford was anti-semitic, but I don't think that would have been particularly controversial in the inter-war period, since there were many in America who appear to have shared those views. Also, I am not suggesting that Ford even has to build up the Ford Motor Company before a career in politics although it would make it difficult for him to fund his political career considering his humble background.
I think if Ford applied his philosophies to the US in the late 1920's, it would look quite similar to the economic and industrial rejuvination of Germany after 1933. I base this theory on the fact that Hitler was heavily influenced by Ford's ideas after reading his autobiography. So the Great Depression might be avoided by job creation programs and possibly rearmament. Also, I think he would try to overhaul the industrial infrastructure of the US by siting secondary production in the vicinity of primary production. For example, grain mills relocated away from the industrial regions of the Great Lakes (Detriot and Chicago) and sited in the grain producing regions of the country to save on unnecessary transportation.
Unfortunately, I think that President Ford would be somewhat heavy-handed with unions, as he was known to use soldiers to supress strikers at his factories. Also, we have to wonder what kind of relationship he might foster with Nazi Germany if he is still in office at that time.

Last edited: