A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

Part 18-Peninsula
  • Napoleon's decision to invade Russia had completely upended the situation in Iberia, where French forces had finally seemed close to victory. Marmont's defeat at Salamanca in August had forced Marshal Soult to abandon the two year siege if Cádiz, not to mention led to Madrid having to be abandoned. Wellington even managed to besiege Burgos, but a lack of siege guns and the consolidation of the French position forced him to withdraw back to the Portuguese border in Autumn. Well this was a setback, huge areas of Spain had been liberated from French control, and their situation wasn't improving.

In addition to the 20,000 men who'd been poached to attack Russia, another 20,000 were recalled to rebuild the Grande Armée in November. This was much to the annoyance of the Marshals in Spain, as it seemed like Napoleon undermined their positions every time they managed to stabilize the line. What's worse is that the guerillas, already a major thorn in the French's side, were becoming better led and organized than ever before. The largest bands, such as those under Espoz y Mina and Juan Martín "El Empecinado" Díez, held thousands of Guerillas, and launched huge attacks on French convoys.

Another problem faced by the French was the nature of their command from the top-down. Napoleon hadn't stepped foot in Spain for years, and didn't comprehend the situation fully. His orders were often out of date, and lacked a true understanding of the conditions faced by his generals. King Joseph himself had little of his younger brother's military skill, but was at least aware of this fact. His military advisor, Marshal Jourdan, was somewhat capable, but was also sickly and hadn't had a major independent victory since the 1790s. The fact that three of among Napoleon's arguably best marshals, Soult Suchet and Marmont, had to take orders from three men who didn't understand what was going on, certainly didn't help matters.

While the Peninsular Winter's were nowhere near as harsh as those in Russia, they still came with problems. The terrible dusty roads were turned into mud by cold rainfall, and both armies soon became locked up where they stood. The Rain in Spain fell mainly on the plains, but the mountain passes also soon became all but impassable. Wellington didn't plan to be idle long however. As soon as the weather permitted, he intended to see the Pyrenees by next Fall...

Part 19-Winding Up.
  • As 1813 began throughout Europe, the actual military situation in Russia changed little. Disease, malnutrition and the cold continued to take a toll on the garrisons of both armies, who didn't dare attack despite being mere days from eachother. Marshal Bessiéres was still busy, reorganizing tattered units and trying to fortify Minsk when the weather permitted. The cold meant that supplies couldn't be brought in from Germany at all, and the soldiers were forced to subsist on stale biscuits and rock hard salted meat.

General Barclay was in a similar predicament, much to the chagrin of his superiors, General Kutuzov and Tsar Alexander himself. The Tsar in particular had made a show of personally taking command of Russian forces in Borisov, but had little to do. Many of his advisors indeed urged him to return to St. Petersburg, where negotiations to form the Sixth coalition were ongoing. But the Tsar, despite his fury at his chancellor for botching said negotiations, and needlessly antagonizing Bernadotte, insisted he was needed with the army. He even issued a proclamation on the Orthodox new year, vowing not to return to Moscow or St. Petersburg until he'd seen Paris first.

The French position was made even worse in early January, when orders came to withdraw some of the best remaining troops. Indeed, Marshal Lefebvre and the Imperial Guard were called home, as were many of the German states most intact units. While this did have the effect of severely hitting morale, as many soldiers who remained thought they were being abandoned, Napoleon had his reasons for this. For one he was going to need seasoned officers and NCO's to make up the backbone of his new army, and thusly so would the Germans.

As such, most of his best remaining Marshals and other Corps commanders were recalled. Bessiéres was left with about a divisions worth of cavalry under Grouchy, who had served well as his cavalry commander so far. Ney and Davout kept their respective III and I Corps, which were now a multinational mess of units of various strengths and nationalities, along with the Polish V Corps under Poniatowski. The rest of the major commanders and Marshals left in early Febuary, about 15,000 in all. Between the Winter attrition and this detachement, the French had barely 30,000 men and 150 guns left in Minsk. While the 1812 campaign had been grueling, the largest war in European history to that date was just starting...

Part 20-In Laws, am I Right?
  • Tuileries, March 1st, 1813​

"Maret! Caulaincourt! Where are you!" Napoleon shouted as he stormed about the halls of his palace. A royal residence was both a home and a seat of government, and nowhere was the contrast more striking than the court of Napoleon during wartime. Ministers and aides rushed to and fro, as the work of building an army was thrust upon the existing pressures of maintaining a nation. All the parlours and great rooms had been turned into offices and workspaces, while nobles and even the occasional other Bonaparte tried to keep out of their way. Napoleon was busy, though this wasn't the first time he'd had to create an army, now he had bigger problems.

As he finally found his Foreign Minister and advisor, he rushed up to them, fractically clutching an opened envelope. "My father in-law is really a twit, you know that." He said, rage bubbling. Caulaincourt motioned for the letter, and Napoleon shoved it into his hands "I was aware of that sire." He said "But let's see what the damage is before..." He trailed off as he studied the letter. "You're kidding, really?" Was all he could say. Napoleon went off again "I know! 'Can't maintain his position' what horseshit!"

"So the Austrians just went home, sire?" Maret now asked "That's right, just packed up and went home." Napoleon put his hands behind his back "Well, one quality I certainly don't lack, is the ability to know when I'm being fucked over, and I am. Something odd happening, and my father in-law is a bad actor, and a coward." He turned to see his minister had no clue what he meant "He's too scared to openly oppose me now, but also won't support me, he's setting up to betray me when the time is right." Maret had a thought "You do realize sire, that this is quite a clear violation of the Treaty of Schönbrunn, grounds for war even."

Napoleon let out a chuckle "War with Austria? Russia is all the headache I need right now, I don't fancy fighting two great powers at once." "You've done that before." Maret flattered him "True, true. But..." He stared off into space for a moment. "These animals, have learned something I think. They aren't so easy to put down anymore." "Anyway sire, what do you want to do?" Napoleon thought for awhile longer "Tell my father in-law he's a bastard- in more diplomatic terms." He said quickly as his minister nodded and began to write something down "We can't risk a war with the Hapsburgs as well, not unless they get greedy."

"Tell him that we won't require any more direct Austrian commitment to the war with Russia, I don't need help from them anyway. If they keep getting bold, they can be dealt with whenever the time comes." Napoleon realized he'd forgotten something "Damn, what time is it?" "7:30, sire." "Son of a whore, I have to meet with Clarke to discuss the new corps commanders. You both know what to do, good morning." The Emperor left without another word.

Once he was gone, both ministers all but collapsed into their seats "That man... is murdering me." Maret sighed "Indeed, I hate to imagine what the actual campaign will be like." "That's when it pays to be a minister my friend." Caulaincourt laughed "Well it won't hurt to have a corps commander for a brother." "Really? Is that sure thing?" "Not quite, but the Emperor was impressed with how he took over when Montbrun was wounded at Borodino." "Even if he got wounded in the first charge himself?" Caulaincourt laughed "That's what I said, but still, you know how the Emperor values luck..."

Part 21-Order of Battle
  • In the final week of March 1813, Napoleon began his final preparations for his renewed campaign in Russia. He found himself at the head of an army that plainly didn't exist six months prior, of the new French troops, barely one in five had actually seen regular service. Many were part time soldiers of the National Guard, whose "Provisional line infantry regiments" showed terrible discipline and cohesion on the march. Most of the rest were simply teenaged concripts, who were both eager and frightened, many of their fathers hadn't come home in one piece over the last 20 years.

The Imperial Guard had been entirely reorganized. The old guard had lost just under 2/3 of its men in Russia one way or another, and so the best of the Peninsular war veterans refilled the ranks. The hitherto monodivisional old guard now had two, the second one was formed from middle guard regiments and some Polish, Saxon and Italian grenadiers. The young guard though was a new beast, a full two divisions of the best conscripts and volunteers, and another corps worth were on the way. In any case Marshal Mortier led the old guard, Oudinot the young guard, and General Kellermann (Son of the marshal of the same name) led the guard cavalry, though barely quarter of them were French.

The six French corps were all similar in composition, usually mostly conscripts with a handful of experienced soldiers sprinkled in, plus some donations from the Confederation of the Rhine. II Corps was led by Marmont, IV Corps by Soult. These detatchments left Suchet and Jourdan as the only marshals left in Spain, and both men even joked that they'd never return, one way or another. Generals Bertrand and Lauriston took command of VI and VII Corps respectively. X and XI Corps were the special ones in the group, due to the nature of their commanders. Marshal Augereau nominally retained his command of the vastly reorganized XI Corps, ironically one of the most experienced units west of the Oder, with how many deserters had been caught over the past months. Marshal Masséna it seemed had come back into the good graces of Napoleon, and so would fight in his army once more.

While many of the German states were noticeably chintzy in providing troops, Prussia even refused to send a single soldier to war, two Corps were still provided for the Emperor. IX Corps under Bavarian Field Marshal von Wrede was waiting near Leipzig to deploy. Reynier and the Saxons were folded into XII Corps. Both these corps heavily included troops from the more minor German states, as well as the occasional Italian, Dane, or Swiss.

The Duchy of Warsaw managed to form another unit as well, XIII Corps, which General Dąbrowski took charge of. They also gave Napoleon II Cavalry Corps under General Sułkowski, which was sorely needed, as I Cavalry Corps under General Nansouty was the only other such unit Napoleon had. Many horses and cannon had met their end in Russia, so in that regard the French were severely undergunned. Overall Napoleon had about 100,000 Frenchmen (though this figure also includes soldiers from The Neatherlands and other regions under direct French administration) 50,000 Germans, 50,000 Poles, plus a handful of Italians under arms by April. This however does not include the over 200,000 men in training from Bayonne to Białystok and everywhere in between. As this massive army began its march out of Mainz on March 30th, Napoleon had only one vision, Moscow in flames...

Last edited:
    Part 22-Opening Move
  • Minsk, April 3rd, 1813​

"So Berthier, any reports from the Grouchy?" Marshal Bessiéres wearily asked for the dozenth time that morning "...No." His chief of staff said, letting his impatience show "As I've told you precisely seven times today, I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. Besides, weren't you supposed to supposed to be inspecting the siege works?" Bessiéres shook his head "Not much point to that, this isn't Smolensk, the city just isn't a fortress." It was true, the fortifcations they'd managed to build up during Winter and moreso early Spring would help keep the Cossacks and scouts away, but the numbers the were facing were too large to make a siege possible

"Fine..." Bessiéres shook his head "You're right, I'll go have a look at the artillery." Just as he began to step out of the parlour of some Russian countess' apartment that had been serving as his HQ, and aide rode up. Both the horse and the man riding it looked close to death "Marshal..." The man gasped "Marshal Bessiéres?" and sloppily saluted "That's right, come down son, catch your breath." "Yes sir." He led the messenger back to his HQ, where the man threw back half a bottle of bad Russian wine and demolished a pound of bread.

"It's been a hell of a week, sir." He said "General Grouchy wanted me to send you this" He pulled a letter out of his waistcoat "Then on the way back a messenger from The Emperor makes me pass this along." He pulled out an envelope with Napoleon's seal Bessiéres tore it open "Berthier" Oh it's for you. Berthier took the letter "I have Duroc and Coulaincourt filling in for you, and they're shitting themselves. I need you, depart for my headquarters as soon as you recieve this." "Oh thank christ." "Language." Bessiéres chided him. "Well, you know how they say it's been a pleasure, it hasn't." Bessiéres said sarcastically.

"I'll leave today, oblige me with a fresh horse and some guards will you." his commander nodded "Best of luck friend." Berthier left without another word. Turning to Grouchy's letter, he figured it was likely more urgent "Large groups of Cossacks and regular cavalry have been spotted around Lahoysk and Maryina Horka, about two corps in total. Looks to be a classic screen, and an effective one at that. I believe the Russians have crossed the Berezina in force." Bessiéres frowned as he finished reading "Have orders for the army to leave at dawn tomarrow, destroy everything we can't take." Only then did he realize his chief of staff was gone, and only the ravenous aide was still there, paying him no mind as he gnawed on a piece of salt beef the size of his head. The Marshal sighed "I really hate this job sometimes."

Last edited:
    Part 23- The Bravest of the Brave
  • Indeed the Russian army had begun to move in the first week of April. After the French retreat from Smolensk in November, General Bennigsen's army had linked up with those of Barclay and Wittgenstein, but due to the overcrowding at Borisov, had Wintered in Smolensk. By April these three forces in total numbered around 170,000 men, facing hardly 30,000 Franco-Allied troops. In all likelihood all that was needed was a simple frontal attack, there was no stroke of tactical genius that would allow victory against odds of more than five to one.

In fact this seemed obvious enough that for once, both Kutuzov and Barclay were in complete agreement about a cautious but steady advance on Minsk, but the Tsar objected. He insisted that nothing but the total annihilation of the foreign invader would buoy the morale of the Russian Army and people, and ordered a plan that could achieve that. Somewhat reluctantly, Kutuzov drew up a plan for Barclay to carry out. Using Cossacks under Platov in the North and Karpov to the South, they would screen their movements from the French. These forces forded the Berezina near Kimiya and Byerazino on April 1st.

The next day around 50,000 men each under Wittgenstein in the North and Bennigsen in the South followed them on pontoon bridges, while the rest of the Army under Barclay and company crossed at Borisov. The plan did achieve its goal on its face, Bessiéres had no idea the number nor composition nor movements of the Russian infantry. However, thanks to the efforts of General Grouchy and his cavalry (Who were even more severely outnumbered than the infantry) Bessiéres knew that the army was likely crossing in force. Despite having no permission from Napoleon to do so, the French left Minsk on the 4th, 28,000 fighting men, and 115 guns. Barclay reached the city just later that day, and launched a frantic pursuit against the French.

Bessiéres decided to keep retreating the way they'd come, to Vilnius, where he hoped to resupply one last time before falling back to cover Warsaw. As he did so, the Cossacks attacked in force, but without infantry support could do little but slow the French down. The retreat soon became another race, as both sides sprinted to try and outrun eachother. Barclay and Bessiéres both knew the latter couldn't afford a protracted battle, and both sides thusly strove to prevent it. However the going was tough both sides, as the rasputista (The mud caused by Autumn rain and spring thaws) was in full swing, fed by melting snow and thawing ground. Wagons and guns got stuck and were abandoned, horses broke their legs falling in the muck. Both sides trudged through it, until finally Bessiéres luck ran out.

Russian partisans had burned the bridge over the Oshmyanka river at the town Oshmyany (OTL modern day Ashmyany) in an attempt to stop the French. Bessiéres arrived on the 13th, and quickly drove out said partisans, getting his engineers to work rebuilding them. The Russians arrived at around 3pm, before they were completed. For two hours the French resisted artillery and relentless Cossack attacks, forming square among the farmhouses to keep them at bay. At 5pm the bridges were ready, and Grouchy and Poniatowski's V Corps crossed over. As Davout's Corps began to cross next, the French lines broke as Russian guard cavalry and infantry arrived (The Russian army had been strung out as it attempted to catch the smaller French army). Ney led his III Corps, amongst the fireband chaos rallying the men in the streets and attempting to organize them. However in the twilight and confusion around 8pm, a French Corporal mistook some French scouts for Cossacks, and detonated the gunpowder under the bridge, cutting off Ney and around 7,000 men.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I find that Corporal, I swear to Christ Marshal Ney thought, rage filling him. A heavy wind was blowing both his mens powder and that of the Russians back in his face, making the red twilight even dimmer. "Goure!?" he shouted over the din of cannon fire and screams of the wounded "Any chance we can swim the river!?" His chief of staff shook his head with despair "No sir, that water is freezing and it's getting dark. Even if the men could survive we'd have no powder, and look!" Through the smoke and noise, Ney could here the bugles and see the guns limbering up "That fucking bastard is leaving us! How very fucking Christian of him!" He threw his telescope on the ground in rage "If I ever see that man again, I'll slap the fucking powder out of his hair!"

Just then, one of his aides rode up to him, a hussar with a white flag in tow "Agh Christ." He muttered under his breath "The hell do you want?" "Marshal Ney" the trooper said in awful French "His Majesty Tsar Alexander and General Barclay send their complements. You and your men have fought well today, and honor is satisfied. I beg you, surrender to his majesty now, and your wounded will receive our aid, and your men will be well treated." "Does he now?" Ney said with a sly grin, which just as quickly vanished "Tell your Tsar this. All the Russians and Cossacks in the world will not prevent me from rejoining the army. Now get out of here, before someone doesn't see that flag." The hussar, stunned, did as he was told. "Now then!" Ney called out "You want to live!?" He picked a musket up from a dead soldier near him "Grab a weapon and follow me!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure enough, Ney rallied about 4,000 men, and led them on foot out of the town. With few options but to charge through the Russian lines, they did so, but were mown down. Still refusing to surrender, Ney formed square with the survivors and marched onward, looking for a crossing upriver. Stumbling through the dark, and with their musket flashes being the only light source, which often illuminated hordes of Cossacks surrounding them, Ney pressed on. That night, about eight miles upstream, the men found a ford shallow enough to cross without getting soaked. Despite his rearguard being down to just 300 men, Ney made contact with friendly cavalry at dawn, and managed to rejoin the army at about noon. It had come at terrible cost, but they escaped a situation where any other commander would've surrendered.

Ney was so furious at Bessiéres that when they reunited that day, they nearly came to blows. Nonetheless, Napoleon was so impressed when he heard the feat, that he exclaimed "What a soldier! The army is full of brave men, but Michel Ney is truely the bravest of the brave!" News of teh Marshals escape spread, and the men rejoiced happy in spite of the relentless, muddy marching. They army arrived in Vilnius four days later, where they received fresh food, ammunition, and 6,000 reinforcements. They couldn't stay long however, Barclay was right on his heels, and so he was forced to retreat back toward Warsaw.

The remnants of the army crossed the Niemen river back into Polish territory on the 23rd. According to legend, Marshal Ney was the last man across. Without a Corps to speak of, he was sent back to France to take charge of a new III Corps, still forming out of the new recruits. The invasion of Russia had been a disaster for Napoleon, one that had cost him half a million men, a quarter million horses, and over a thousand guns. In exchange the war was where it had been nearly a year before, and now the Russian bear had woken up. With Poland all but open to the enemy, and Napoleon's German allies wavering, the fate of Europe was about to be decided.

Part 24-Taking Shape
  • Dresden, April 27, 1813​

The Saxon capital was bursting at the seams, as soldiers of the Grande Armée more than doubled its population overnight. Taverns were emptied out as teenage conscripts drank themselves silly after a grueling march, brothels closed as the staff were soon tired out. Most of the soldiers were at least quartered in barracks during their short stay in the Dresden, so at least the civilians weren't too bothered by their French and German guests. There had been troublemakers of course, but Napoleon had orders that they be treated no differently than had the crimes been committed against their fellow Frenchmen, Marshal Masséna even won the respect of the locals when he led the firing squad that shot four of his own men who'd been caught in a rape attempt. So even though the Saxons were somewhat nettled that their city was overcrowded, and that their native Saxon Corps was attached to the army's left wing over 100 miles to the North, but they tolerated it nonetheless.

Before an energetic crowd of soldier and civilian alike, their Emperor and protector gave an electric speech beside their King Frederick Augustus. He called out the disloyalty of their former ally Tsar Alexander, and promised a swift end to the war. Praising the conduct of the Saxon soldier, he worked the crowd into a fervor. Many were surprised with how coherent his German was, if a bit accented for the average city dweller to make out every word. Despite the chill of the late April evening, Napoleon had the people roaring. He left them by exclaiming loudly "Ich bin ein lieber Freund der Sachsen!" (I am a dear Friend of the Saxons)

With that complete, he and the Saxon king stepped off the palace balcony into one of the sitting rooms within. The king motioned for his attendants to leave him, and the two monarchs were alone "Frederick..." Napoleon said, bluntly, but with an air of sympathy as he continued to speak German "How many times have you been to Warsaw, Duke of Warsaw?" Frederick blinked, but replied "None, which you're well aware of. Get to it if you please." Napoleon nodded, as impressed by the king's business sense as he was annoyed by the show of disrespect. "I don't believe it's in the interest of the Polish people for you to remain their sovereign much longer."

Frederick chuckled at that "Nor the interest of the Saxon people. You know Bonaparte-" "Don't push it." "Your Majesty" he stood and walked to a window, outside which still stood thousands of his subjects, slowly filing back home "God made me Elector of Saxony, and I've tried to carry out my task ever since I was still a boy. You made me King, and I didn't see much reason for my task to change. I serve Saxony, just like all my soldiers do. What happens to Poland isn't really my concern, nor the concern of my people. All I do, I do for my people, you're the same, no?" Napoleon stood to meet the king, and smiled "I'm glad we understand eachother, once this war is over we'll make it official." The king nodded "I'll take my leave then, I promised the queen we'd have dinner. The room's all yours, I know you need to confer with the Marshals, good evening." They shared a bow, and the king left.

Within 10 minutes, all of the Corps commanders had arrived, and on the floor a large map of Central Europe was sprawed out. "Now, Berthier, give us the latest." "Yes, sire. Marshal Bessiéres and his two remaining Corps should've crossed the Neimen a few days ago, they're continuing to fall back on Białystok, and from there Warsaw." Napoleon interjected "Two Corps?" He shook his head "Too small, too small. What we'll do is this, I want Bessiéres back in charge of all cavalry, no offense Nansouty." The general shook his head, brushing it off. "Dabrowski is still near Warsaw yes, have Poniatowski take over, and organize the rest of the troops under Davout." "Yes, sire." Berthier complied, as his secretaries scribbled down the orders.

"It seems not all the Russians are heading Southwest, however. Reports say a large contingient may be resting in Vilnius, but these are very spotty reports indeed." The Emperor laughed "Resting? Resting? No, no, deploying more likely. Entering Prussia I'll bet, right in time for them to turncoat, we can't have it." He thought for a moment "Masséna." he motioned for him to come over "Take Marmont, Bertrand, and Lauriston, cover Danzig, and Königsberg if you can, don't let them deep into Prussia. Now go, go, go, All of you." The men bowed and began to exit "Oh and Masséna?" "Sire?" "Another cock up like Portugal, and you'll be out of eyes." "Yes sire."

Napoleon turned back to the map "The rest of us will confront the Tsar head on, if we move fast Warsaw won't fall. We should be expecting roughly equal numbers, yes?" "Uh?" Berthier threw his hands up "Very roughly, but that's almost impossible to tell. We'll be outdone in horsepower for sure." Napoleon frowned "That is a shot up the ass indeed. Either way, I'll pull something, you'll all see. This is going to be Friedland all over again." "Uh sire, what of X Corps? They need a commander." "Ah yes, we'll put Ney in charge once he gets here, he'll get a warm welcome after that stunt of his that's for sure." His face went grim "We'll need that sort of thing...".

Part 25-Battlefield
  • As the Russians continued to press into Poland, Marshal Davout and his jumbled III Corps were both in a fight for their own survival, and desperate to delay the Russians as much as possible. Napoleon was concerned that should Warsaw fall, it may signal to his wavering German allies that now was the time to turncoat. But Davouts men were exhausted, malnourished, sick, and low on ammunition. General Grouchy's mere 3,000 cavalry could do little more than protect the French columns, let allone harass the enemy. However as the invasion into Poland continued, the Russian command, or rather its top heaviness, began to cause hiccups. As general Bennigsen wrote to his wife is early May "There is a reason why armies are not run as triumvirate's."

On paper, the three senior commanders of the Russian army agreed with a strategy, an offensive ti take Warsaw and drive the French as deep into Germany as possible, the issue was that none could agree on an execution. General Barclay suggested a wider flanking manuver, allowing them to isolate and besiege several Polish garrisons to the South, and link up with Austria. Kutuzov wanted more coordination with Wittgenstein to the North, isolating Danzig and opening the door to Berlin. Alexander himself wanted an immediate and direct confrontation with the Grande Arméee, to bolster the morale of his army, now far from home. This bickering, combined with the worsening health of Kutuzov, lead to pointless confusion and delay among the Russian army, perhaps allowing Davout to escape.

Davout for his part, maintained an active and fierce readguard as he fell back on Warsaw from Białystok. As retreated he burned bridges and stores, feigned deployments on high ground, and constantly held off Cossack raids. This seemed to pay off when on the 13th of May, Napoleon won the race to Warsaw, entering the grateful city. After some debate, the Russian commanders on the far side of the Bug agreed to a plan. They'd find a good defensive position, and force Napoleon to launch an attack. Without the edge in horsepower he'd be unable to pursue, and even a victory would wear down his forces. As they set up on the North bank of the Bug river, the first great battle of the Polish campaign was about to begin.

Part 26- The Battle of Drohiczyn, part 1
  • Near Wegrow, Poland, May 17th, 1813​

"You're sure he's not crossing himself?" Napoleon asked as he looked over the freshly drawn map, hard to make out by candlelight. Marshal Berthier nodded "I'm certain sire, Davout's been camping on his side of the bug, he reports no enemy movement." "Odd. Odd odd..." Napoleon thought as he paced the room, racking his brain "Who's the closest to Davout?" "Uh... Reynier, he's only about 12 miles out from Davout." Napoleon nodded as he continued to pace the room "Good... very good. Tell him to march to Davout at once, as soon as he gets the order." "Yes sire." "Every other corps is to do the same at first light, who's the furthest?" "XIII Corps Ironically, they'll take about three days. The rest of the army can probably be there in two." "Alight, tell Duroc I want to be ready to ride out at four." Berthier looked at his pocket watch "That only gives you two hours sire." "Nothing more refreshing than a battle Berthier, something someone in your position would understand." Berthier nodded "It's certainly less entertaining from a desk sire. Anyway I'll get those orders sent out, rest well sire." "You certainly won't!" Napoleon joked back as climbed into his campaign bed

Meanwhile in Drohiczyn...​

"Sire I am telling you, let us build the boats, we can have two corps over by morning." General Barclay pleaded " "General.." Kutuzov stopped as he hacked into his handkerchief, pausing a moment in alarm at how much blood came up "Two corps would be sufficient to take Davout, I have complete agreement there. But He's done running, he's digging earthworks and trenches of his own. Bonaparte is coming, and soon, I'll bet by dawn. Two corps will be demolished." Barclay held a hand to his temple "Not if he isn't as close as you claim. If the emperor were coming, he'd be planning an attack, Davout wouldn't have burned his boats, they'd be felling more trees. He's likely still days away." "It's not worth the risk my friend." "And what good will sitting here-" "Enough." The tsar, who'd been sitting silently, finally said

"Start building some boats, if there's no sign of the French by an hour after dawn, we'll land downstream-" "Excuse me!" A messenger bowed at the entrence to the tent "French and German troops have been spotted along the far side of the Bug downstream, likely to arrive by mid morning!" "Thank you major." Alexander said "Tell the scouts to cross the river if possible, and try to estimate the size of these forces "Sire!" He bowed again and left the tent. "Well... cancel those boats gentlemen, mon cher Bonaparte is coming." "I think he's looking for a fight." Kutuzov said "I agree." Barclay said, almost shocked at saying it "He'll come over here and get it." Kutuzov nodded "Yes, he's not foolish enough to cross the Bug with a thousand guns staring at him, he'll cross a ways downstream."

"What shall we do gentlemen? Their own emperor asked "We let him come." Kutuzov said, Barclay picking up his thoughts "He'll either attack our center or try some flashy manuver on the flanks, and he has neither the numbers for the former nor the cavalry for the latter. He'll be had." The Tsar grinned "It's time to embarrass the French again..."

Battle mod 2.png

Last edited:
    The Battle of Drohiczyn, part 2
  • Order of battle at Drohiczyn:​

Russia: Line of battle from north to south
    Cossacks: Platov
    III Cav Corps: Korff
    II Corps: Tolstoy
    III Corps: Baggovout
    VI Corps: Tuchkov
    VII Corps: Saint-Priest
    VII Corps: Dohturov
    V Cav Corps: Uvarov
    603 guns: Loevernstern
    In reserve: Russian Imperial Guard, GD Constantine
    ~170,000 men

France: Line of battle from north to south
    I Cav Corps: Nansouty
    IV Corps: Soult
    X Corps: Ney
    XI Corps: Augereau
    IX Corps: Wrede
    XII Corps: Reynier
    II Cav Corps: Sułkowski
    480 guns: Sorbier
    III Corps: Davout, uncommitted on far bank of the Bug
    XIII Corps: Dąbrowski, was not expected to arrive until the second day
    Reserve: Imperial Guard, Mortier
    ~200,000 men

In the early morning hours of May 27th, The Grande Armée began to concentrate near Marshal Davout's position, only to find still no sign of a Russian crossing. Eight miles downstream from the Russian position, French engineers rapidly began constructing several pontoon bridges for the army to cross the Bug. By nightfall IV Corps had crossed the river, setting up a defensive position on the far bank. By early morning on the 28th the entire army was across, and Napoleon ordered his force to march on Drohiczyn.

The Russians hadn't been idle however. Their center had been reinforced with trenches, anti-cavalry stakes, and fortified batteries. On the flat fields of Poland, there was little expected manuvering or struggles for high ground. As the French army arrived on the field in the evening, small skirmishes broke out between cossacks and light infantry, but neither side made a serious effort to attack the other.

French HQ​

Napoleon was greatful for the nearly full moon as he scanned the Russian lines with his telescope. The sky was clear, and he could make out the tents of the soldiers and the improvised stables for their cavalry. "They've puffed out their flanks quite a bit" He commented to his generals who'd crowded around him "They could be preparing for an attack" Marshal Soult spoke out "Sire if that was the case they'd likely have attacked while we were getting into position." The emperor nodded "That's true that's true." He took a long, silent moment to ponder "Sorbier." The general stepped forward "I want three quarters of your guns on the Russian center. Get close, as close as you can bear, and give the impression you're clearing the way for an attack.

"Augereau, Wrede. You'll be playing the attackers in the little ruse. Protect the guns, and posture as if you're waiting for the guns to cease fire. Don't, and I cannot stress this enough, don't attack unless I say otherwise." "Yes sire!" Both men belted out in unison. "Ney. You'll be the hinge in the door for an echelon attack, to be carried out by Soult and Nansouty." "Sire." Soult again spoke "There's an ocean of cossacks on the flank, our own cavalry will be outnumbered three, maybe four to one." "I know that." The emperor said with a hint of irritation "I'll have the Poles send up a division or two of their horses from the right." The Marshal nodded, and the emperor turned to look at them all "Well? Off you go, you'll have you specific orders within the hour." The men all filed out without a word "Well Berthier, no sleep for you tonight!" The emperor joked, Berthier only replying with an exhausted expression...

Last edited:
    The Battle of Drohiczyn, part 3
  • On the morning of the 29th, a third of a million men had formed up about 3/4 of a mile apart. The Russian line was 400 yards west of the North road out of Drohiczyn, the abandoned village itself anchoring the left flank. Half an hour after dawn, the French opened a massive barrage of 350 guns on the Russian center. The Russians soon massed 400 guns of their own, and replied with their own brutal exchange. The Russians gradually opened a gap behind their guns, the regiments trying to avoid the hail of shot. The French merely took cover, keeping up the ruse that they were preparing an attack on the Russian center. The artillery duel would last nearly three hours, both sides taking significant losses.

Around 9am, Napoleon spotted cossacks massing behind the Russian guns, and sent word to Marshal Soult to begin his attack. It was supported by 60 guns, along with support from Ney and Nansouty's cavalry. General Baggovout, supported by Platov's cossacks and regular cavalry, rose to meet them. For the next two hours Soult was at his best, intricately manuvering his divisions forward into an equally sized Russian line. Baggovout committed what the Marshal himself called "The greatest two hours of soldiering I've seen in a foe." His men met every French advance with a fiercecounterattack, inflicting heavy casualties. By 11am, the French attack had stalled, the conscripts beginning to buckle.
    _________

Napoleon watched the carnage from his headquarters, observing with alarm dozens of soldiers scrambling West. "Damn.." he muttered under his breath, he'd asked too much of these children. "We're going North! Have Oudinot and the young guard follow me!" He called out to his staff as he rode towards the fray. Several minutes later, as he rode among the rear of IV Corps, many of the teenage conscripts stopped their flight as they saw their emperor "Go back and we've got them!" he roared as his flashed his saber "You've got your emperor at your back, how can we fail!" All of them to a men turned back into the fight many screaming out "Long live the Emperor!"

_____

With renewed momentum, and the arrival of the young guard, Baggovout was forced back, though the arrival of jagers of the imperial guard allowed him to hold the road. By noon though it was clear he wasn't going to hold for much longer, though the Russian responce was bold. In the center, two corps and a guard division charged into the French center, the exhausted gun crews still inflicting great losses on the attackers. Augereau and Wrede's corps fought with courage, but were forced to yield ground. Russian hussars nearly overran the French batteries, while their own artillery poured fire into the enemy ranks. It seemed that Kutuzov and Alexander were about to smash the French center, as Napoleon considered his options
    _______

"Send in the middle guard." Napoleon grimly called out to his aides, as he watched the chaos emerging before him. This was getting ugly, and he knew it. The enemy left was massing as well, his left was fully committed, he could hardly spare a brigade. He'd have to throw in the old guard if this didn't turn out. "Sire!" A familiar voice called out. Napoleon turned on his horse "Poniatowski?!" He said, puzzled "I thought you were with Davout what are you doing here?!" The general and his horse both looked one foot in the grave "Marshal Davout thought it best I inform you sire, Dąbrowski marched with fire under his ass. He'll be here within the hour." Napoleon permitted himself to smile a moment, before quickly turning to his staff again "Send a message to the Poles, tell them to come at once straight into the fight!" The Prince asked him "Permit me to take part sire?" Napoleon considered "Very well, don't kill yourself, today's not that day." Poniatowski nodded.

_____

The arrival of XIII Corps took place at the ideal moment around 2pm. The Russians were repulsed, and gradually forced back towards their start lines. At this critical time, Field Marshal Kutuzov, despite his increasingly poor health, rode foward to urge his men on, when he was hit by a cannonball, and killed instantly. Rather than be demoralized by the loss of their iconic commander, the Russian soldiers made a last determined charge, including butchering a Polish company that tried to surrender. But as Soult finally severed the northern road, the agreed upon signal to pull back, thearmy began a disciplined retreat to the east. French forces, bloodied and short on cavalry, did little to stop them.

The French had the field, and 30 captured guns, but had the worse of it in casualties. Whereas the French lost 25,000 men killed wounded or captured, the Russians only suffered 12,000 themselves. Having retreated in good order, Barclay was in good position to continue the campaign. A guest of his was keen to make note of it.

____

The Russian army's HQ was a somber sight, even the usually talkative tsar hardly spoke as they awaited the answer of their observer "My condolences to you, Kutuzov was a rare character indeed." "Thank you General Scharnhorst, is it sufficiant?" The Tsar asked tensely. "As we agreed, promise us continued support, and we're set." Alexander nodded "Very well, please let his majesty know." Scharnhorst bowed and stepped out. "Such is the toll." He said to nobody.

Last edited:
    Letters to The Emperor
  • June 3rd, 1813​

"Sire.

I have failed to sufficiently explain myself to you. Yes, the navy has countless spare cannon, and yes, they would be of better use in Germany. But most of these guns are 24 pounds or more, they cannot be converted to field batteries. I've nonetheless been able to secure 200 guns to be converted to field use in Mainz, they'll arrive imminently. Additionally the 500 sailors and another marine regiment are marching out of Brest. I reviewed your request for information on the 'Repentant Englishman.' And he's agreed to meet with me. I'll inform you of any additional developments sire."

-Minister Decrés
    ________

"To His Majesty the Emperor Napoleon, it is with the greatest duty to my people that I declare war on France. You've overwritten the balance of power, and plunged Europe into decades of ghastly war. For the best interests of the people of Prussia, and all free Germans, your hegemony of Germany must end if there is to be peace. I beg you, Your Majesty, don't allow more young lives to perish in a pointless conflict."

-His Majesty King Frederick William of Prussia
    ______

"To my dear husband

It's been very busy at the Tuileries this week, all the ministers need my consultations and my approvals, I haven't worked this hard since I delivered our son! He misses you just as much as I do, he asks for you often. You have no need to worry about the new recruits who've taken my name, they're such delightful boys! They can't wait to serve their emperor. Still though, many of my friends say there are some ill words being spoken of you in private, I beg you to win this war quicky.

-Your Wife, Marie-Louise"
    _____

"To His Majesty the Emperor

Sire, as I told you, I can accept neither the Polish crown, nor your baton. Poland is being overrun, and while I understand why, making me a king or a marshal now will be an insult to all the Pole serving Your Majesty. Please understand that with all due respect, I wish to speak no more of this matter.

-Your loyal GENERAL Poniatowski

Last edited:
    Part 27- Holding a Grudge
  • Mere days after Napoleon's bloody victory over the Russians at Drohiczyn, he received most unwelcome news, his reluctant ally, the Kingdom of Prussia had declared war on France. General Scharnhorst, who'd been been observing the battle, was sufficiently satisfied with the Russian's performance, rode a breakneck speed back to Berlin to inform his king. Frederick William III rather reluctantly made the official declaration of war in early June. Almost immediately, a massive portion of the Prussian army was tied down, due to the need to contain around 50,000 French and allied soldiers in the various fortresses of Prussia. In particular, General Rapp's newly designated XIV Corps in Danzig was well prepared for a long siege, even as Russian units moved to assist the Prussians, and the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin defected from Napoleon's Condederation of the Rhine.

Nonetheless despite having just two corps, about 30,000 men available in the field, General Blucher intended to aggressively march to the aid of Benningsen, who with around 60,000 men was facing a similar sized French force led by Marshal Masséna. Ten miles South of Stettin, Masséna had fallen on Bennigsen just as he'd crossed the Oder, their forces meeting on the 8th of June. At first the French had the better of it, Bennigsen was forced to pull his men into a tight defensive perimeter to defend his river crossing, hoping to hold out until nightfall. Masséna kept up an intricate and well planned assault, inflicting heavy losses on the Russians.

From a small rise behind the battlefield, Masséna observed the struggle between his own forces and the Russians. Marmont was pushing hard, urging his men into the fight. "Tell Marmont to get his horse artillery up front." He said to his chief of staff "I want Bertrand to launch a full assault in half an hour." An aide-de-camp suddenly caught the marshals eye, he looked spooked "Sir!" He saluted "It's the Prussians, they're right on top us!" "Shit..." Masséna muttered under his breath "How many, and how far?" "At least a full corps sir, probably more. They can't be more than two, three miles at most.

The marshal grunted in frustration, this was exactly what he'd feared. "Alright, alright, how long until sunset?" His chief of staff looked at his pocket watch "Should be two more hours sir." "Alright, I can work with that. New orders, all three corps are to begin retreating South. Once Marmont is to the South of the Russian I'll coordinate the rearguard with him. This is going to be bloody."
    ________

Despite the surprise of Bluchers attack, achieved in large part due to the French lack of cavalry to scout ahead, Masséna reacted quicky. While Bertrand and Lauriston's corps immediately marched to the south, Marmont's II Corps rapidly set up a defensive position. Bennigsen, not realizing how close Blucher's forces had come, was slow to organize a counterattack. While Blucher did launch a cavalry charge supported by infantry against Marmont, Masséna carefully coordinated a responce, and despite high casualties the French were able hold out until nightfall.

Despite the battle ending in a French defeat, Masséna's army was intact, and inflicted 12,000 Russian and Prussian casualties to just 8,000 of his own. As the retreat south to cover Dresden began, Napoleon and the main body of his army found themselves in an awkward position in Poland. Despite achieving victory against the Russians, and killing their top general, the race was on to escape Poland before they were trapped there. The French passed through Warsaw on the 8th of June, the Russians occupying the city two days later. Despite orders to behave, many Russian soldiers, Cossacks in particular, partook in looting, raping, and even murder. The officers were eventually able to resotore order, but not before almost 100 Polish civilians were murdered in the chaos. The war of the Sixth Coalition, had officially begun...

Part 28- In a Pickle
  • Near Łódź, June 15th, 1813​

It was another rare day in the Grande Armée, The Emperor was seeking council, and his marshals were summoned. "Desertions have been climbing." Marshal Berthier dryly read a report "Although oddly it seems more French and Germans are deserting, not Poles." "We're still fighting for Poland, Marshal Berthier." Poniatowski said sternly "Have no doubt of it.". Berthier read on "Many of the new recruits are finding the marches extremely taxing." Marshal Soult scoffed at that "And diseases are all increasing." "Enough." Napoleon finally spoke "Enough, enough. I appreciate all that you say."

"This is not a good position, if Austria betrays me we could lose another army. What would you have me do?" Marshal Davout stood "We pull back to the Rhine and consolidate, fortify." "Am I to give up all I posses in Germany?" Napoleon fumed "You ran from Smolensk to here, and you'd like to keep going Davout?" The Marshal didn't speak, but kept his eyes on Napoleon. "We could hold the line at Dresden" Soult spoke up "And try to keep the two enemy army's pryed apart." "Much better!" Napoleon's face shot up.

"Yes, yes! If we can hold at Dresden, and beat the Prussians in the North, we can knock them out again, Jena all over again. Yes, alright. Reynier, Augereau, go North. Tell Masséna he's to take Berlin at all costs, then to link up with Rapp." The men nodded "Go, go now, he'll need you three days ago." Both generals left without another word. "Are we due any reinforcements?" he asked Berthier "Saint Cyr and I Corps should be leaving Mainz by now." He pulled out yet more reports "MacDonald and XV Corps are about two weeks behind him, besides that we can probably scrape up a few divisions of Germans." "Good, good. I want both of them in reserve at Dresden, just in case the king decides to throw open the gates. And send a message to the Tsar, ask if he'll agree to a prisoner swap with the Mecklenburgers, I don't want to have to feed them all the way to Germany." He referred to the 2,000 soldiers in his army who'd been made enemies with a single letter.

"Very good sire." Berthier said wearily, as Napoleon turned to the rest of his silent marshals "Well? Don't you all have more important things to do than stare at me? Get lost, I have things to do." The men quickly filed out. Alone with Berthier, the emperor relaxed slightly, letting out a sigh "My eagles are again victorious, but my star is setting." "Indeed sire." Berthier didn't look up from whatever he was writing "We're loosing something like 15,000 men a month from pure attrition, these kids aren't ready for a long campaign." "We need a victory, a good one, and soon."

Last edited:
    Part 29- Innovations of the New World
  • Hôtel de la Marine, June 20th, 1813​

Minister of the Navy Denis Decrès sat in his office, perusing his way through documents and orders. There wasn't much to do these days, the Royal Navy had most of the fleet taking in the scenery at their harbors. Most of his orders and assignments revolved around transferring personel to Germany, Where Napoleon had better use of them. He opened one report from an admiral, asking for his lead supply not to be cut, a futile effort to avoid the above problem once again. Ringing a bell for a servent to bring him a fresh coffee, one he desperately needed. The servant arrived "Yes sir." he replied to the order "And a Mr. David Bushnell is waiting to see you." A twinge of curious anticipation came over the minister "Send him in, send him in."

An elderly man strode rather unhurriedly into his office, walking cane in hand "Secretary Decrès!" He called out in fluent if rusty French "I'm so glad I was able to respond to your request!" Decrès smiled "His Majesty's request actually." "And the Emperor is a busy man indeed! What could be so important?" The minister shook Bushnell's hand "You do remmber of course Turtle, that wonderful little submersible boat of yours?" "Ah yes!" Bushnell felt nostalgic "Tried to throw the redcoats out of New York I did." "And as far as it seems all you destroyed was a rowboat and some children." Bushnell shrugged "Not every invention works straight away." The minister raised an eyebrow "Well, we'd like to help you get back to work, how would you like to help us beat the redcoats once again?"

Bushnell let out a chuckle and took a seat "That's one flattering offer, but to be honest if you're looking for someone to build a submersible, you want Mr. Robert Fulton." "Yes, the steamboat captain. He did some work for us in the past, but it seems he's fallen back on his old habits, he's also done some work for the royal navy." Bushnell nodded "I see, so what do you want me to build? And please be more specific than 'Something to defeat the Royal Navy'." Decrès sighed "Fair enough. In Spain they've been making chaos behind our lines. Their frigates pull into ting harbours and drop supplies for the guerillas, then dissappear before we can respond." Bushnell nodded "So you want something that can intercept them... that will be tricky."

The American stood as ideas began flowing "It could never be fast enough to catch a frigate, so it would need a mothership, a sloop or something similar." The minister nodded "We could arrange that." Bushnell held up a hand "First let's discuss terms." Decrès rolled his eyes "You really are American. You'd get a salary if 50,000 Francs a year, and an additional budget of 70,000 for development." Bushnell nodded eagerly "I'll also need two dozen sailors, preferably the crafty types, carpenters and such." "That's no problem, I'll have the best I can find selected." "I'd also like to be aquainted with some of your nation's balloonists." "Balloonists?" Decrès asked baffled "Whatever for?" "Buoyancy my friend, whether in air or water, it's the same principal. And if we're operating further out to sea, I think you'll understand it's imperative we don't sink like a stone." The minister nodded "Very well Mr. Bushnell, we have a deal, I'll make arrangements for you to stay in Paris, and you'll have a space to begin development immediately." "Splendid!" He replied "I assure you and the Emperor, good things will come from this!"...

Part 30- Vittoria
  • Over the Spring of 1813, Wellington and his Iberian allies had renewed their offensive against the French. Guerillas, now supplied and cooperation with Wellington, launched attacks on the French supply lines and intercepted their dispatches. Five weeks prior, King Joseph and Marshal Jourdan had been forced to abandon Madrid once more, the British having outflanked the capital. Marshal Suchet meanwhile, was forced to slowly yield ground to General Murray's force. While Jourdan had intended to face Wellington at a position just North of Madrid, Wellington managed to repeatedly outmanuver him.

Finally settling on a defensive position on the Zadorra river, near the town of Vittoria, Joseph and Jordan began to set up the line, consisting of about 60,000 men. Wellington was hot on their tail, with 85,000 seasoned soldiers, intending to attack before the French could consolidate. On the 25th of June, with Jordan ill and the French forces still getting into position, the Coalition attacked. The out of position French troops were rapidly overwhelmed, as the British columns swept them across the countryside. From here a pattern developed, the Frech would retreat to a new line, and the British wouldn't wait to attack it, breaching a section of the line and forcing yet more retreats.

In early afternoon, as the British neared Vittoria itself, there was a late scare as General Clauzel and 20,000 men arrived, who launched a well coordinated counterattack. But by now Wellington had outflanked the town, and fearing encirclement, many of the soldiers routed. Amid chaotic and brutal street fighting in the town, the army's baggage train, holding the half decades worth of loot from Spain, desperately tried to escape. In the North, Guerillas turned regulars under Colonal Longa charged into the city, destroying the last tenuous defensive line of the French.
    ______
    Around this time Wellington wasn't far behind the line, observing with approval. He turned to his staff "Not a bad days work eh?" "Certainly so, your grace." General Hill, who'd join the Marquess at his obersation point noted "I think we'll knick most of the baggage train, I'm sure the Cortes will appreciate it." "Whatever doesn't vanish into private hands that is, sir." Hill quipped. Wellington frowned at that, before his attention was drawn by a French cannonball. He had a mere moment to express concern about its path, before there was a deafenning boom.

"My god sir!..." General Hill said, stunned "You've lost your arm!" Wellington turn down and to the left, gazing at the mess of blood and torn cloth "My god sir!..." His voice trembled "So I have!"...

Part 31- German Campaign
  • By the start of July, Napoleon had been forced to retreat across the Warta, abandoning Poznań to the Russians. Upon hearing of his brothers humiliating defeat at Vittoria, he'd considered sending a marshal to salvage the situation. But, with Germany so hotly contested, he decided to send his stepson Eugène, who was holding the still peaceful Italian border. Eugène left with 10,000 Italian troops on July 7th, intending to fight a retreating battle to the Pyrenees. In the meantime, the main body of his army was to hold Germany at all cost.

Napoleon had correctly guessed the Coalition's intention to crush him at Dresden, with Barclay and the Tsar's newly named Army of Poland, and Blucher's Army of Silesia coming South. Having sent 35,000 reinforcements to Massèna, he ordered the marshal to threaten Berlin, hoping the Prussian capitulation would force Alexander to sue for peace. Saint Cyr's I Corp had begun to ready the fortress city of Dresden, either for a siege or a storming, while MacDonald's XV Corps was coming East to support the emperor.

By now, the Russian mobilization had begun to catch up, and the Army of Poland recieved two additional corps of reinforcements, with a third aiding the Prussians in their sieges. With nearly 200,000 soldiers to Napoleons 160,000, Alexander opted to continue the pursuit. The Frech copied what the Russians had done the prior year, stripping the countryside of all they could take, and burning what they could not. On July 3rd, Ney and Davout, whose corps formed the rearguard, were ambushed by Platov's Cossacks near the town Kuślin. Surrounded and briefly cut off, the marshals managed to ward off the Cossacks and rejoin the army, albeit with 10,000 casualties on both sides.

To the North, Massèna and his new reinforcements, numbering around 85,000 men, had been forced to abandon their position on the Oder. Fighting a running battle until his new troos reached him, he finally made a stand at Cottbus on the 9th, the French threw back the Coalition, inflicting 15,000 casualties compared to just 6,000 French. But three days later at a strong defensive position of Lübbenau, Bennigsen and Blucher were joined by Bernadotte, now crown prince of Sweden. The ex-marshal brought the first two divisions of the Swedish army with him, and together the three generals held off Massèna. The two day battle of Lübbenau saw the French fail to push back the Coalition, before a Prussian-led cavalry charge on the second day forced their withdrawal, at the cost of 12,000 coalition and 15,000 French casualties.

With his Northern flank stalled, Napoleon revised his plan. He left Marshal Ney in charge of a 60,000 strong force, with orders to delay Barclay, and led the rest of the army North. The coming battle would decide the fate of Prussia...

Part 32- Marital Drama
  • Bautzen, July 12th, 1813​

"Sorbier, he's been having trouble... getting the spare lead for his balls." Napoleon said with a full mouth as he tore to shreds what had once been a German chicken "He says his quartermaster is being too conservative, and apparently he thinks you can help." Marshal Berthier watched with disgust as Napoleon multilated his breakfast "Well he's not wrong, I think there's plenty, at least until the end of summer the way things are going." Napoleon grunted as he continued his meal "Well I know this is a bit below your salery, but will you straighten this out for me, he's been riding me all week about it, and I'm not sure I can handle anymore headaches these days." Berthier nodded "Of course sire, I'll talk with Sorbier today." Napoleon nodded "Good Berthier, what would I do without you?" Berthier shrugged.

"Sire?" General Duroc, Grand marshal of the palace stepped inside "Forgive my impertinence, but might I join you?" He looked at Berthier "Alone?" Berthier looked at both men "I have an artillery quartermaster to scream at anyway, good day sire." Napoleon nodded to give the marshal permission to go. Once he had, he pointed at an empty chair "Sit please." He said quickly "Must be important after all." The general awkwardly pulled up a chair "Sire..." He struggled for the words "I've always been frank with Your Majesty..." Napoleon nodded "And I've always rewarded you for it." "Indeed sire, and do you wish me to continue this?" "Always." He said without thinking "Even if it will cause such pain for your majesty?" "Especially then." The emperor grew concerned "Nothing has happened, to my wife or my son?" Duroc was uncomfortable "Well sire-" "Josephine?!" he blurted out in panic "No... no, no." Duroc quieted him "The Empress is with child."

Napoleon slumped back in his chair, letting out a bitter and intimidating chuckle "And just to what extent is she with child Duroc?" The general held his ground, even as sweat trickled down his forehead "Well I'm no doctor sire, but from what I can see there's no way it's-" In one fluid motion, Napoleon flung his small table across the room "You were spying on my wife?" He asked plainly, his expression unchanged, his eyes locked on the general "I have a correspondence with one of her lady's maids." He answered "If I told you how many times it's saved both your lives you'd be offended "Clearly." Was all Napoleon could muster "Do you know who?" "No sire, though if I had to guess I'd say one of the new recruits, they're closer to her age than we are after all." Napoleon chuckled again "If there really is a lord in heaven, I must praise his narrative." Was all he could say "Well... besides us, who knows?" Duroc stood "Well, her of course, my contact, and besides her physician merely whoever she's gossipped with."

The emperor was silent "I don't want anyone else finding out, not one soul." He stood, and walked up to Duroc, unsheathing his sword "Swear to me, on this, you'll make that happen." Duroc stood at attention "I swear on my sword sire, that not one soul will discover what I have told you, at least not willingly from me." Napoleon let out a sinister smile "I'd expect nothing less my friend, now would you give me the room please." Duroc bowed and exited without a word. Alone with his thoughts, Napoleon felt alone indeed. His chest felt tight, his breathing became rapid, and with no other recourse in sight, the emperor ripped the sheets off his bed, flung his furniture about the room, and for the first time since his son was born, Napoleon wept...

Part 33- Eve of Battle
  • By mid July, Napoleon had advanced into Saxony, and with the Russians at his heels, turned North. His new plan was to rapidly move to join Massèna with the bulk of his forces, clearing a path to Berlin. Putting Ney in command of a 50,000 strong rearguard, the Marshal was ordered to delay Barclay, but avoid a general engagement with the much larger Russian force. Ney disregarded this order on the 16th at Radeburg, launching a surprise attack on the Russians, that rapidly bogged down as they moved up reserves. Ney lost 8,000 men, 30 guns, and four standards, doing little to slow the Russians.

Barclay chose to bypass Dresden, defended by Saint Cyr's I Corps and another 10,000 Saxon militia. As MacDonald's XV Corps joined Ney, Napoleon and the main body of the army raced North. Massèna meanwhile, was being driven Southwest by Blucher, and fell back towards the Saale to avoid being cut off. While Napoleon didn't know it yet, the Coalition was preparing a plan of their own...
    _____
    Trachenberg July 15th, 1813

An unusal and officially nonexistant meeting had been convened at the quiet German palace. The Tsar had been joined by his Prussian counterpart, and a certain ex-Frenchman Bernadotte, who'd joined their ranks in all but name in Sweden. There was a reason for their excluding Britian, and if there were any treatcherous motives they were secondary at best. The three sovereigns here had a task to deal with, one the British had been spared, they needed to defeat Napoleon Bonaparte.

The Tsar had invited an unual guest to join the monarchs, General Moreau, a former ally and competitor of Napoleon. It was he and Bernadotte who'd laid down the solution. "It's quite simple, if a bit cowardly." Moreau said "Every campaign, every war, he's the central factor in his own plans. The Emperor is always present at the pivotal moments." Bernadotte nodded "He doesn't much concern himself with secondary battles, not unless he can make them decisive."

Frederick William nodded "So we make every battle where Bonaparte isn't as destructive as possible." Moreau nodded "Expect a defeat whenever the Emperor attacks in person, attack and defeat his lieutenants wherever you can." The Prussian king gave a tired chuckle "Blucher certainly won't take joy in hearing that, are we not planning to converge on Napoleon himself at Leipzig." Moreau's expression darkened "And you should expect a defeat, and prepare as such. Bloody him even in defeat, and be ready to respond immediatly. He can't face all of Europe, not forever."

The men in the room looked at eachother, none of them had a better idea...
    _______

As the coalition armies converged on Napoleon, some of his marshals urged him to pull
    back to the Rhine, a more defensible position closer to his logistic hubs. But the Emperor refused to concede Germany without a fight. He decided that he'd stake the war on one decisive battle, one that may well decide the fate of his empire...

Order of Battle at Leipzig
  • Order of battle​

French and allies, Northern sector:​

Masséna in overall command in the North
    II Corps: Marmont
    IV Corps: Soult
    VI Corps: Bertrand
    VII Corps: Lauriston
    IX Corps: Wrede
    XII Corps: Reynier
    In reserve:
    Imperial Guard: Mortier
    XI Corps: Augereau
    I Cav Corps: Nansouty

Southern sector:
    Ney in overall command in the South

X Corps: Maison
    III Corps: Davout
    XIII Corps: Poniatowski
    XV Corps: MacDonald

~195,000 men and 460 guns (Sorbier) overall

Coalition forces, Army of Silesia: Blucher in command​

Prussian I Corps: Yorck
    Swedish Army Corps: Bernadotte
    Corps-Group Bennigsen:
    X Corps: Langeron
    I Corps:Kapzevich
    XII Corps: Yermolov
    95,000 men and 400 guns (Yachvill)
    Army of Poland: Barclay in command
    Cossacks: Platov
    III Cav Corps: Korff
    II Corps: Tolstoy
    III Corps: Baggovout
    VI Corps: Tuchkov
    VII Corps: Saint-Priest
    VIII Corps: Dohturov
    IX Corps: Osten-Sacken
    XI Corps: Wintzingerode
    V Cav Corps: Uvarov
    In reserve: Russian Imperial Guard, GD Constantine
    658 guns: Loevernstern

(Map of the OTL battle of Leipzig, for reference purposes only)

1704831053629.png