La Reina Loca: A Juana I of Castile Timeline

Eltham Palace, Kingdom of England. June 1496.
Elizabeth of York, Queen of England, rocked her youngest daughter gently, cooing at the handsome face of her little girl. Mary was just two months old, with wispy red hair and grey eyes that opened and closed lazily and Elizabeth had already fallen deeply in love.

Her fifth child was a balm to her poor heart, with all the worries she had over Arthur in Ludlow and the boy that claimed to be her brother. The birth had been difficult enough, but to have her in hand was a great gift from the Lord.

Little Bess jumped at her feet, wanting to take a closer look at her little sister. She was almost four, with angelic golden curls and bright green eyes, as well as round pinkened cheeks that likened her to the cherubic images now favoured by the artists. Behind her stood Henry, called Harry, the five-year-old Duke of York, with wide blue eyes. He attempted to tug at his mother’s skirts, always demanding her attention.

“Careful, children,” said Queen Elizabeth. A nurse came to pick Mary and she handed her off with a smile, before looking at her two older children. Margaret was a proper lady now at seven and had no desire to be with her younger siblings, but Bess and Harry were so close in age, she sometimes thought of them as twins rather than anything else. “What is it that bothers you so?”

Harry kicked at the ground. “I wanted the baby to be a dog,” he admitted in a low voice and Elizabeth smiled.

“We can get you a dog, my love,” said Elizabeth. Her favourite son smiled in return.

She spent another two hours in the nursery before returning to Whitehall, just as the sun was setting. Her movements attracted the attention of the people, her barge running down the Thames. Elizabeth smiled gracefully as they called out her name.

She had healthy children, a country at peace after so many years—the man claiming to be her brother notwithstanding— and a husband who loved and respected her. It was good to be Queen.

When she arrived at Whitehall, a servant of her husband came to tell her that the King was summoning her to his chambers. It was not evening yet, so Elizabeth didn’t assume he wished to perform their marital duties. Despite their desire for each other, both believed it was not proper to do such an act during the daytime, when servants could walk in and some matter might need a king’s attention to be solved.

She found Henry by the hearth, though the logs were unlit and he was reading a paper. Her husband turned to look at her when she entered and Elizabeth could see the way his shoulders relaxed visibly in her presence, how he seemed more at ease with himself and the world around him.

But the smile that had begun to spread across his mouth melted off and was replaced by a grimace. Elizabeth frowned.

“Is there something wrong?” she asked, walking closer to him. Henry took her hands in his and sighed.

“That damned boy,” he said. “The one claiming to be the Duke of York and your brother has married Lady Catherine Gordon, a kinswoman to King James of Scotland. If she has a son…” Elizabeth squeezed his hand.

“No one will accept him,” she said. “Catherine Gordon is a junior noblewoman, not a match for whom they see as a king, even if false.”

“My spies say they are preparing an invasion,” Henry answered, ever the nervous fellow. Elizabeth smiled.

“Then you will crush them,” she responded. “Your army is strong, the coffers are filled and you have a peace treaty with France.” She pulled him closer, wrapping her arms around his waist. Henry was lean, and tall, just a handful of inches taller than her. “Don’t worry about it, my king. When we’re together, you mustn’t think of the future.”

He embraced her back as Elizabeth placed her head over his chest, listening to the steady beats of his heart.

“In the end, we will prevail,” she said. “We must have faith in God.”

“As Job did?” he asked. Elizabeth looked at him and smiled. “I love you, Bessie.”

“I love you too,” she said in return. Elizabeth kissed him and smiled when she felt his hands clutch the laces at the back of her dress.

They might not do this in the daytime, but she could make an exception.
I love them, your honor. If only Henry VIII could have been half as decent a husband as his father

Also, love Elizabeth Tudor the Elder surviving
I see a future queen of Denmark-Norway-Sweden 👀
Agreed!

I love the relationship between Elizabeth of York and Henry VII and you wrote it so well. I'm glad little Bess is alive. And Juana and Catalina have a great sisterly relationship.

Awww good to see the Tudors are well, though hopefully, this new pregnancy (if there is one) isn't too dangerous for Elizabeth.

Just love how you wrote the relationship between Catalina and Juana, always love it when they interact, they're truly special sisters.

Last edited:
I don’t know how many people know that with Anne of Brittany marriage to Charles there was no agreement that a second child would receive Brittany as there was with her marriage to Louis. So even if Anne were to have five healthy sons after Charles Orlando , he will receive the full inheritance……

I don’t know how many people know that with Anne of Brittany marriage to Charles there was no agreement that a second child would receive Brittany as there was with her marriage to Louis. So even if Anne were to have five healthy sons after Charles Orlando , he will receive the full inheritance……
Did anyone say a second son would inherit Brittany?

Anne of Brittany had very bad luck when it comes to OTL surviving issues, so I doubt that it can happen here. Besides, she is still married to Charles at this point of history in this timeline and we don't know if Charles Orlando is still alive at this point. However! Izzy has yet to write a chapter about France, so there is no need to talk about Anne of Brittany's children just yet. Please focus on the countries that made an appearance so far, which are Spain(which was technically two separate kingdoms at the time), Portugal, and England for now.

Last edited:
If only Henry VIII could have been half as decent a husband as his father
Yeah, if only. I imagine that Henry VII and Elizabeth of York gave him a earful after he died and arrived in the afterlife. Hopefully, Arthur will survive and succeed his father and Henry can stay as Duke of York. That is up to Izzy, though.

Yeah, if only. I imagine that Henry VII and Elizabeth of York gave him a earful after he died and arrived in the afterlife. Hopefully, Arthur will survive and succeed his father and Henry can stay as Duke of York. That is up to Izzy, though.
I could see Arthur surviving. Or perhaps both brothers dying. In a TL dedicated to female rage, it seems fitting that Henry VIII wouldn’t be around