Planetocopia Map Thread

Anybody know how much taller the Scandenvian and Coredellan mountains would have been if not for Glacial erosion?. Even educated guesses are okay.

Also, there's been a study on that for Greenland and Antarctica, is there one for Europe and North America as well?.

And anyone know how I can get the high quality TIFF file that this study must have made to make their maps?.

9-Figure1-1.png

The Study is "How the Andean tectonics and dynamic topography shaped the landscape evolution in Amazonia: a numerical approach" by V. Sacek, T. C. Bicudo, R. P. Almeida

While the prograde and retrograde earths don't have the exact same climate types, one thing that did catch my eye is the there appears to be less steppe on retrograde earth.

Where is the equivalent of Oklahoma/Kansas/Iowa? And does this also mean that retrograde earth has fewer tornados?

While the prograde and retrograde earths don't have the exact same climate types, one thing that did catch my eye is the there appears to be less steppe on retrograde earth.

Where is the equivalent of Oklahoma/Kansas/Iowa? And does this also mean that retrograde earth has fewer tornados?
Well Central Asia seems the closest tornado territory due to the big temperature swings annually.

Side by Side comparison of Prograde and Retrograde simulations, showing a direct comparison of temperature conditions, plus it may help see any potential errors in the prograde baseline.

A similar one but with 22+C regions blacked out, showing hot summer climate zones and seasonal variations.

I tried to do one for the temperate-continental boundary as well, but it formatted badly.

The point of this one was using a bi-monthly rather than monthly format for more precision, plus it shows prograde baseline as well, which may show any innaccuracies up.

Well Central Asia seems the closest tornado territory due to the big temperature swings annually.

Side by Side comparison of Prograde and Retrograde simulations, showing a direct comparison of temperature conditions, plus it may help see any potential errors in the prograde baseline.

A similar one but with 22+C regions blacked out, showing hot summer climate zones and seasonal variations.

I tried to do one for the temperate-continental boundary as well, but it formatted badly.

The point of this one was using a bi-monthly rather than monthly format for more precision, plus it shows prograde baseline as well, which may show any innaccuracies up.
But that isn't that different from our world, and they don't have nearly as large a number. the available humidity from the Gulf of Mexico seems to be a large part of it.

Would seapole have ice at poles? Since tropical currents could move to the poles? Also how long would it take for Antarctica to speciate and have a full biome if it was moved from South Pole?

Also I think it was mentioned that sea level rise would cut off as 80m not the 100m he thought, so there wouldn’t be a seaway thru Eurasia. How far would the ice go during interglacials?

Last edited:
But that isn't that different from our world, and they don't have nearly as large a number. the available humidity from the Gulf of Mexico seems to be a large part of it.
looking closely, perhaps it does seem that way. Although there is an influx of wetter summer rain from the middle east coming up into central asia here, not too different from the very light summer rains of otl Mongolia. In fact, Central Asia ittl isn't that far off otl Mongolia climatically, although Mongolia itself is trickier to estimate. Compared to prograde, it appears to be *slightly* cooler in summer (at least as far as my eyeballs can see on the gifs) but noticeably warmer in winter, along with being a tad wetter annually.
Would seapole have ice at poles? Since tropical currents could move to the poles? Also how long would it take for Antarctica to speciate and have a full biome if it was moved from South Pole?
Well realistically millions of years to be colonised and evolve distinct organisms if we’re realistic here. In this case, east Antarctica would be lush and humid due to warm water currents across it and the south straddling the equator, leading to extensive tropical forests and subtropical highlands, whereas west Antarctica would be more a mix of savannahs, deserts and some Mediterranean region.

Well, the data suggests there is more grassland here than otl, as the biome map helps suggest as well as study data, it’s more concentrated in tropical regions like North Africa, the drier parts of Arabia and Brazil in the form of savannahs, as is expanded grasslands in Australia, similar to the otl Pliocene. Unless you mean temperate steppe environments under Holocene conditions, in which case it would seem you are right there. There’s still some in Central Asia and southern Russia, but local specifics are reversed in the east-west sense.

On a non-retro note, I’ve seen people propose introducing Amur tigers to southern Russia or the Caspian to replace that extinct population. This may seem doable, given these regions are considerably warmer on average than the Amur or Manchurian region, and serve as a transitional habitat between amurs and the traditional tigers of South Asia. For instance, even Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad) has a pretty similar climate to Shenyang, and therefore could theoretically harbour such cats as in old historical times. The obvious issue is human protests haha.

Last edited:
This isn't very scientific at all, but for this, in GIMP I changed the exposure of the whole image so the shoreline (or what I assumed to be the shoreline, might be a bit off) on the alt map is equivalent to the OTL map, and then selected the part of the image that was land and moved up the contrast to 25, which kind of looks about right. Not really sure though!

PthZ8gL.png
Yo, do you know of a way for me to merge these two images.
Lowland.png

Highland.png

Where the brightest points on the resultant map would be equal to the brightest point on the bottom map, while the dimmest value of the top map be the darkest colour range in the resultant map and everything else, some graduation between both.

Last edited:
Yo, do you know of a way for me to merge these two images.
Lowland.png

Highland.png

Where the brightest points on the resultant map would be equal to the brightest point on the bottom map, while the dimmest value of the top map be the darkest colour range in the resultant map and everything else, some graduation between both.
Oops

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 19.54.42.png