The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

View attachment 899877
Claimed administrative divisions of both Chinas. Note that the vast majority of information about the continental ROC is in mandarin so the map is very incompleate, also I *think* ROC recognised mongolia as an independant country in 2002, so the claims over mongolia no longer apply.

So while doing the research for a different question I came across the fact that the RoC actually recognized Mongolia's sovereignty in 1945, however starting in 1947 the stopped recognizing it, but did not claim it, which makes me think this was a case of them not recognizing the Communist Regime and that the 20202 recognition was basically reiterating its sovereignty but also officially re-recognizing its government.

So while doing the research for a different question I came across the fact that the RoC actually recognized Mongolia's sovereignty in 1945
yeah wikipedia says that they recognsed mongolia but then broke off dyplomatic relations due to border conflicts (which figures, the borders of ROCs outer mongolia were slightly different than those of the country of mongolia)
the stopped recognizing it, but did not claim it
But I don't know about "not claiming" it, i think it kinda depended on political alignment, with the ROC kinda, officialy, on paper claiming outer mongolia but not bothering in reality. And now (as well as from 2000 to 2008) that the dpp is in power they focus on the mainland claims as a whole even less. I'm pretty sure it's also a constitutional issue, since the 1947 constitution which has tibet and outer mongolia enshrined in it as special regions, so the 2002 recognition might not even be constitutional. Idk, it's complicated

View attachment 899877
Claimed administrative divisions of both Chinas. Note that the vast majority of information about the continental ROC is in mandarin so the map is very incompleate, also I *think* ROC recognised mongolia as an independant country in 2002, so the claims over mongolia no longer apply.
At that point, we might as well start drawing the non-autonomous prefectures and cities, starting with Xining and Haidong, Qinghai.
Also, all the districts and counties of ex-Qianjiang Prefecture in Chongqing Municipality (red in map below) are still autonomous in practice, retaining minority policies from back when it was part of Sichuan Province.
1280px-Location_of_Qianjiang_Prefecture_within_Sichuan.png

yeah wikipedia says that they recognsed mongolia but then broke off dyplomatic relations due to border conflicts (which figures, the borders of ROCs outer mongolia were slightly different than those of the country of mongolia)

But I don't know about "not claiming" it, i think it kinda depended on political alignment, with the ROC kinda, officialy, on paper claiming outer mongolia but not bothering in reality. And now (as well as from 2000 to 2008) that the dpp is in power they focus on the mainland claims as a whole even less. I'm pretty sure it's also a constitutional issue, since the 1947 constitution which has tibet and outer mongolia enshrined in it as special regions, so the 2002 recognition might not even be constitutional. Idk, it's complicated

From what I was reading it seems that after they recognized it initially they dropped the claims, but when they stopped recognizing the government they never actually implemented any legal stuff re-establishing the claim; essentially it seems to be a situation like where for a while a few countries did not recognize Slovakia.

It's a bit late, but here's a patch for the Ethiopian Civil War as of January the 7th, 2024 (the last definitive source map I can find);

Situation in Ethiopia, 2024 (Jan. 7th).png

Given the amount of patches I've been doing as well as some changes I haven't posted I figure I should post an updated full map; note this is more or less* as of April 10th, 2024:

Aside from the previous patches it also includes;
-Changed international border color to a slightly different shade of black to prevent confusion when editing.
-Some minor fixes in the Caribbean, namely some changes to some ocean borders as well as to the shape of Bonaire.
-Minor change to the Somalia-Somaliland border and re-adding the internal border for Puntland as it's pulled out of the Federal structure and is now effectively an autonomous region.
-Corrected the size and shape of Lake Tana.
-Minor fixes to some of Norway's insular territories.
-Changed the color of the various autonomies borders from admin. div. border to a different autonomous border color.

*The sources I use for the C.A.R and Syrian Civil War have not posted a new map since late November, the last discreet map for the Ethiopian Civil War was early January and there have been some changes in the Burmese Civil War, but nothing major (IE a few pixels of difference).

CE 2024 (4.10.24).png

Last edited:
1712849861380.png

so i traced the map of china conveniently posted in the Q-Bam Historical Thread by athgtq16129 at 1:4 using some 2023 linbot borders where thought I couldnt do better
1712850380221.png

this is what I got
1712850403633.png
1712850417505.png

1712850586353.png
1712850599618.png

this is overlayed on the alexandrian and linbot worldas respectively, with and without borders

now, full disclosure, I'm dumb when it comes to scaling & projection, so is worlda suposed to be slightly stretched verticaly and contracted horisontaly compared to q-bam?

View attachment 900368
so i traced the map of china conveniently posted in the Q-Bam Historical Thread by athgtq16129 at 1:4 using some 2023 linbot borders where thought I couldnt do better
View attachment 900373
this is what I got
View attachment 900374View attachment 900375
View attachment 900377View attachment 900378
this is overlayed on the alexandrian and linbot worldas respectively, with and without borders

now, full disclosure, I'm dumb when it comes to scaling & projection, so is worlda suposed to be slightly stretched verticaly and contracted horisontaly compared to q-bam?
I'm highly sure that's the case, however your scaling is off by a good amount:
1712853897962.png

I would still like to see some slight modifications to eastern Ladakh, Nepal, Bhutan, and Bangladesh based on how they're shown on the R-QBAM.

View attachment 900368
View attachment 900373
this is what I got
View attachment 900374View attachment 900375
View attachment 900377View attachment 900378

I believe it is, I've never been able to make QBAM stuff fit on worlda without some vertical-horizontal distortion.
yeah thats what I thought, any tips on fixing that or do I have to figure out on my own what exactly I did wrong?
So basically, as you might have heard, neither the QBAM nor the worlda are actually in any well-defined projection that can be identified, and therefore there is no canonical way to convert between them, as far as I know, so you really do kind of just have to do it by eye. This is why the R-QBAM is so needed, and why today I habitually use the XK-BAM and VT-BAM instead of the worlda and QBAM.

I believe it is, I've never been able to make QBAM stuff fit on worlda without some vertical-horizontal distortion.

That would make sense given both were created independently of each other; the Worlda was originally a low quality box map and was later converted into a globe map, though in both cases it's a Robinson Projection, the main reason it probably looks off is how many edits everyone has had to do to it overtime manually as there really aren't a lot of HD Robinson maps; the Q-BAM was IIRC based on a Robinson Projection, but was put together piecemeal and slightly warped to make it look more like a larger Worlda.

Actually, I am kinda tempted to make a rectangular WorldA remake (I wasn't even in this site when the rectangular WorldA was a thing, but given my hatred of pseudocylindrical projections, I don't want to remake the current WorldA, so I think the rectangular WorldA would be the best analogue)
Though I am really worried about the high potential of it being completely useless, and I would like to hear your opinions on the subject
In order to not derail this thread any further, if you really want to contact me, then you can start a conversation here on this website
Note: Don't get me wrong, I love the aesthetic of the WorldA maps some of you folks produce, it's just my obsessions and perfectionism driving me towards trying to make a new one

So basically, as you might have heard, neither the QBAM nor the worlda are actually in any well-defined projection that can be identified, and therefore there is no canonical way to convert between them, as far as I know, so you really do kind of just have to do it by eye. This is why the R-QBAM is so needed, and why today I habitually use the XK-BAM and VT-BAM instead of the worlda and QBAM.
That would make sense given both were created independently of each other; the Worlda was originally a low quality box map and was later converted into a globe map, though in both cases it's a Robinson Projection, the main reason it probably looks off is how many edits everyone has had to do to it overtime manually as there really aren't a lot of HD Robinson maps; the Q-BAM was IIRC based on a Robinson Projection, but was put together piecemeal and slightly warped to make it look more like a larger Worlda.
well thats annoying ://
ugh, guess I'll get to messing with the scaling then

Also while I'm here, might as well dump some things I've got laying around on my PC
1713113711763.png

Europe in 1477(without the HRE, because just NO)
1713114280531.png

Map of German dialects in the 19th century (unfinished, partially due to a lack of sources)
1713114309537.png

And a map *roughly* showing sparceley populated & people-less areas (deserts, jungles, mountains, tundras etc.) based off of @ItsaMapping people-less areas in America (with correction to modern day) and some other stuff. Usefull for showing the actual usable territory of big blob land empires like USA or Russia

Usefull for showing the actual usable territory of big blob land empires like USA or Russia
I say it's usefull, but it's kinda hard to make it look good
1713117834538.png

here is normal, stripey and disaturated russia to show you what I mean. It can get really cluttered

Given the amount of patches I've been doing as well as some changes I haven't posted I figure I should post an updated full map; note this is more or less* as of April 10th, 2024:

Aside from the previous patches it also includes;
-Changed international border color to a slightly different shade of black to prevent confusion when editing.
-Some minor fixes in the Caribbean, namely some changes to some ocean borders as well as to the shape of Bonaire.
-Minor change to the Somalia-Somaliland border and re-adding the internal border for Puntland as it's pulled out of the Federal structure and is now effectively an autonomous region.
-Changed the color of the various autonomies borders from admin. div. border to a different autonomous border color.

*The sources I use for the C.A.R and Syrian Civil War have not posted a new map since late November, the last discreet map for the Ethiopian Civil War was early January and there have been some changes in the Burmese Civil War, but nothing major (IE a few pixels of difference).

View attachment 900966
Just a heads up: the borders of Libya, Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen, Oman, and Northern Ireland have the same colors as the coastline, this can, and does, cause confusion.

Last edited: