A Portuguese TL, So tem um Deus. Portugal Inherits. Burgundy...

CHAPTER 1
The Marriage.

The Young Prince of Portugal, Joao II is still waiting for him to suceed his father, he has alot of plans with the nation of Portugal.
He bravely joined his Father in the campaign in Morocco against Arzilha and is ready to become King of Portugal when its needed.

His wife Eleanor of Visu sadly died in a accident on a horse, while trying to lift it up, this left the young king, Joao II a bit dissappointed, he wished to see her again, now its not
possible, Afonso V nearly lefted Portugal bankrupted and most discoveries were abanndond in Africa it was not looking fine for the Portuguese Empire after the Castillian Succession War, they had to pay Ducats aswell.

4 Years ago, the Holy Roman Emperor former Husband of Mary I of Burgundy died aswell, he died from illness, leaving Mary alone.
So Mary gave up the title Holy Roman Empress and disestablished the uncontinued Marriage.

Afonso V proposed a Royal Marriage between his Son, and Mary and Burgundy to relate the 2 realms closer to each other,
The Holy Roman Empire died of Age, which left Mary of Burgundy alone, She would accept the offer to marry the Prince, for exchange that Portugal would pay 200 Ducats Monthly for 2 years for Burgundy.

Afonso V would try to come up with a plan, taking up more Advisors and Nobles to help him out to come with ideas to make Portugal Economy better again
Merchants would go trading across all types of places in the Atlantic,
Explorers would also be involved into these type of Stuff, making money, trade, and etc.
The Crown would slowly Recover, but its not enough, too make it even worse, Portugal was nearly Bankrupt.

The Tribute Payment would be over, and Afonso V would die in 28 August of 1481, his Son Joao II suceeds his throne, and Mary of Burgundy becomes Queen of Portugal.

As Joao IV suceeds Portugal, he also became King of Burgundy by Jure 2 years ago, in 1489, Portugals Economy would do better since both The Kingdom of Burgundy and its counties would allow trade with Portugal, Portugal would start be more focused on seeking trade routes across the world, and perhaps settling a few colonies here and there. Mary is Pregnant
Joao IV would establish a new trading and Communcation Systen Across his Empire, as his Son would inherit both Kingdoms, invents a new System called ¨Lavidaćao´ this would benefit, creating Governors in many lands these Governors warent actual Governors but they would check the Trade and the ¨Lavidaćao´ would automatically know better Trade Routes from other country, gaining as much Information as possible, this would benefit for both Kingdoms.
Filipe I was born in in 1482
A Prince would be born, infante Fillpe I
He would be heir to The Kingdom of Portugal, Algarves, Burgundy. and low Countries.
Joao like in OTL would improve the Economy and bring Discoverys back on track in Portugal,
Joana of Castile would be furious of Fillpe Existence,
she hoped nothing more but failure to Portugal.​

Last edited:
CHAPTER 2
Inheritance.

As Joao IV suceeds Portugal, he also became King of Burgundy by Jure 2 years ago, in 1789, Portugals Economy would do better since both The Kingdom of Burgundy and its counties would allow trade with Portugal, Portugal would start be more focused on seeking trade routes across the world, and perhaps settling a few colonies here and there. Mary is Pregnant
Joao IV would establish a new trading and Communcation Systen Across his Empire, as his Son would inherit both Kingdoms, invents a new System called ¨Lavidaćao´ this would benefit, creating Governors in many lands these Governors warent actual Governors but they would check the Trade and the ¨Lavidaćao´ would automatically know better Trade Routes from other country, gaining as much Information as possible, this would benefit for both Kingdoms.

1 Year Later....

A Prince would be born, infante Fillpe I
He would be heir to The Kingdom of Portugal, Algarves, Burgundy. and low Countries.
Joao like in OTL would improve the Economy and bring Discoverys back on track in Portugal,
Joana of Castile would be furious of Fillpe Existence,
she hoped nothing more but failure to Portugal,
The Castillian Throne is secured trough marriage Joana of Castile would have childeren with a English Noble, John Cambets.

1789? I suppose you made a typo there. Also I highly doubt Joana would marry a mere noble like John Cambets, IMHO she would end up with someone with a higher pedigree.
As for the Colonies, if Portugal and Burgundy can find a way to work together and not against each other, they can benefit from each other.

CHAPTER 2
DOM FILLPE I

After his official accession to the throne in 1481, John II took a series of measures to curtail the power of the Portuguese aristocracy and concentrate power in himself. As one example of the measures he took, he deprived the nobles of their right to administer justice on their estates. Immediately, the nobles started to conspire,
Mary of Burgundy dies on 1482, should we be missed and be remembered troughout Portuguese History.
However Joao II would be damaged enough by this, he would start the Portuguese Golden Age, he declined the Colombo Offer. and in 1482, In the following year, the Duke of Viseu, John's cousin and brother-in-law, was summoned to the palace and stabbed to death by the king himself for suspicion of a new conspiracy. Many other people were executed, murdered, or exiled to Castile, including the Bishop of Évora, who was poisoned in prison.

Joao III dies in 1495.

Filipe I of Portugal suceeds the Throne as he inherits all of Burgundy and Portugal, a great discovery, he would be warshed on the riches in the America, sending Merchants in the Carribean to make Spain lose Money, and steal it from them, his Relations with Spain would be rather okay, he still has England after all.

Filpe I of Portugal would appoint Rosàrio De Braganza as Governor of the Low Countries, he is known from his skills and preformance in the Castillian Sucession War and campaigns in morocco, he also fought many battles in italy, defending Napals. and Filipe has known him since he was a young infant.

Map of Portuguese Empire in Europe:

burpor.png

Filipe appoint a Explorer named, Nuno De Cabo to find a new route across asia. going up north to nowdays Newfoundland, his mission was to find a new passage to reach China
in 1496 he would be already in the Arcitic part of Canada where he discoveres are new land and he calls it ¨Terra de Cabo.´ He then goes back to Portugal with his men and survivors which were 5000 + Men and Sailors, for the 2nd expedition the expedition was fully funded by the Crown of Portugal, having more Fur, Food, Etc, and better navy. and more man. meaning that every Discovery goes to him Cabo would be the Capitain of the Expedition once again he then reached modern day Alaska and is regarded as discover of Alaska. and claimed it as Portuguese Terriotory. he comes back with a loot amount of money, by the King same with his sailors, and is appointed as head of the North Sea by the Pope.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 01.24.04.png

Red - First Expedition,
Yellow - Second Expedition.

The marriage between Joana and John Cambets they continue it got canceled, turned out he wasnt a actual noble.

Last edited:
1789? I suppose you made a typo there. Also I highly doubt Joana would marry a mere noble like John Cambets, IMHO she would end up with someone with a higher pedigree.
As for the Colonies, if Portugal and Burgundy can find a way to work together and not against each other, they can benefit from each other.
Yeah it was a typo, and your right but I have a bad time figuring it out, who Joana should marry there still is time tho, Portugal and Burgundy are united now, that means there are no habsburgs. also I suppose Portugal would do alot of better in this tl, but yes they are working together and they do benefit from each other alot actually, but France might have problems with it, but then again Portugal has England to help out. also I fixed everything so there is is no John Cambots

I messed up, but I fixed it. fr.

Last edited:
Yeah it was a typo, and your right but I have a bad time figuring it out, who Joana should marry there still is time tho, Portugal and Burgundy are united now, that means there are no habsburgs. also I suppose Portugal would do alot of better in this tl, but yes they are working together and they do benefit from each other alot actually, but France might have problems with it, but then again Portugal has England to help out.
There are still Habsburgs in Austria, IIRC some Portuguese Infantas married into the Imperial house of Habsburg. However now a strategic ally would be France, England or Portugal-Burgundy.
IOTL England, which tended to switch between France and Burgundy-Spain-Austria and they determined, who had the upper hand, so I wouldn't count too much on England.

One thing I like to add, ''Burgundy'' though united wasn't a kingdom, de jure, de facto it was though. As trade, including Colonial trade, is concerned Burgundy controls places like Brugge, Gent, Antwerpen, Amsterdam and Rotterdam etc. They are economic powerhouses, once in their hubris 'Spain' and Portugal divide the new world, Portugal would be wise to give Burgundy free reign in the Spanish share.

There are still Habsburgs in Austria, IIRC some Portuguese Infantas married into the Imperial house of Habsburg. However now a strategic ally would be France, England or Portugal-Burgundy.
IOTL England, which tended to switch between France and Burgundy-Spain-Austria and they determined, who had the upper hand, so I wouldn't count too much on England.
I meant in Spain, there probably no Habsburgs there, since well Philip The Handsome wouldnt exist.
And yeah, Spain and France would have a better relationship since no Habsburg Spain, but England probably not.

One thing I like to add, ''Burgundy'' though united wasn't a kingdom, de jure, de facto it was though. As trade, including Colonial trade, is concerned Burgundy controls places like Brugge, Gent, Antwerpen, Amsterdam and Rotterdam etc. They are economic powerhouses, once in their hubris 'Spain' and Portugal divide the new world, Portugal would be wise to give Burgundy free reign in the Spanish share.
Possible, but its too soon for Portugal to lose Burgundy my opinion, but they have to find a way to keep it, Portugal would obviously be more powerful then in otl, and Spain a bit weaker, but Spain would have more Potential.next chapter will be about Morocco.

Possible, but its too soon for Portugal to lose Burgundy my opinion, but they have to find a way to keep it, Portugal would obviously be more powerful then in otl, and Spain a bit weaker, but Spain would have more Potential.next chapter will be about Morocco.
Maybe you misunderstood me. I don't want Portugal to lose Burgundy so soon either. I was talking about keeping Burgundy satisfied. Portuguese traders might want to seal off the trade to the east, in the long run this will make Burgundian traders unhappy, hence my suggestion to 'allow' them to trade in the ''Spanish'' part of the world.

Also it's fitting, that a descendant of the Capetian house of Burgundy ends up with Burgundy.

what about Marie's BFF, Philippe of Cleves? He only married to the second half of the 1480s IIRC and his mother was Beatriz of Coimbra, his stepmom was Marie's governess.
Good Suggestion I might think about it,i´ll get over it in Chapter 3.

Last edited:
Maybe you misunderstood me. I don't want Portugal to lose Burgundy so soon either. I was talking about keeping Burgundy satisfied. Portuguese traders might want to seal off the trade to the east, in the long run this will make Burgundian traders unhappy, hence my suggestion to 'allow' them to trade in the ''Spanish'' part of the world.

Also it's fitting, that a descendant of the Capetian house of Burgundy ends up with Burgundy.
That would be a nice suggestion since Portugal and Spains Relationships are Neutral for now, Fillipe I might appoint another noble as Governor of Burgundy.

Couldn´t Portugal allow Burgundian Merchants/Traders in West Africa, as well I can see it benefit for both these countries, but yeah your right allowing to trade with the Spanish Trade Notes would benefit alot, Portugal is entering its prime right now all of this will be mentioned in the next chapter.

That would be a nice suggestion since Portugal and Spains Relationships are Neutral for now, Fillipe I might appoint another noble as Governor of Burgundy.

Couldn´t Portugal allow Burgundian Merchants/Traders in West Africa, as well I can see it benefit for both these countries, but yeah your right allowing to trade with the Spanish Trade Notes would benefit alot, Portugal is entering its prime right now all of this will be mentioned in the next chapter.
It's possible Portugal would allow Burgundian traders there, but protecting vested interests is much more likely in this period. Hence my suggestion Portugal does allow them the part of the world, which was denied to them.
Not just trading, Burgundy, like France and England, will want to have colonies of its' own eventually.

It's possible Portugal would allow Burgundian traders there, but protecting vested interests is much more likely in this period. Hence my suggestion Portugal does allow them the part of the world, which was denied to them.
Not just trading, Burgundy, like France and England, will want to have colonies of its' own eventually.
Yeah, I see The King of Portugal doing that to improve relations with his Personal Kingdoms, but this probably would last 10-25 Years Max, and after that Portugal needs to find another idea to make Burgundy feel equal or prevent rebellion.

Burgundy having Colonies would be intresting, but what about The Treaty of Tordesilhas, since Burgundy techically isnt Portugal shouldnt it be allowed to expand in
Spanish Claims??? Portugal could argue this, but I dont think Spain would be happy if Portugal allows that....

Last edited:
Yeah, I see The King of Portugal doing that to improve relations with his Personal Kingdoms, but this probably would last 10-25 Years Max, and after that Portygak beeds ti fubd another idea to make Burgundy feel equal or prevent rebellion.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand, what you mean by that. Why only 10-25 years max? This is a reasonable compromise to make Burgundy feel valued, while minimizing the impact on Portugal proper. Denying even this, is a recipe for rebellion in the long run. Burgundy is so equal to Portugal, that a Portugal, which will treat them as second rate, will eventually lose them. Plenty of other European powers will be very willing to support this.
Burgundy having Colonies would be intresting, but what about The Treaty of Tordesilhas, since Burgundy techically isnt Portugal shouldnt it be allowed to expand in
Spanish Claims??? Portugal could argue this, but I dont think Spain would be happy if Portugal allows that....
Portugal also needs to be worried about the more wealthy Burgundy they are in a personal union with. The alternative is to allow Burgundian traders in Portuguese colonies, good luck selling that in Portugal, even when a Burgundian knife is on your throat.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand, what you mean by that. Why only 10-25 years max? This is a reasonable compromise to make Burgundy feel valued, while minimizing the impact on Portugal proper. Denying even this, is a recipe for rebellion in the long run. Burgundy is so equal to Portugal, that a Portugal, which will treat them as second rate, will eventually lose them. Plenty of other European powers will be very willing to support this.

Portugal also needs to be worried about the more wealthy Burgundy they are in a personal union with. The alternative is to allow Burgundian traders in Portuguese colonies, good luck selling that in Portugal, even when a Burgundian knife is on your throat.
My typovision translates that mistake to "needs to find" :D