AHC: Give Sonic the Hedgehog a stronger gameography

It's probably not at all controversial to say that Sonic the Hedgehog has had a pretty rough time of it since Sega left the console market. That's not to say every game he's been in from 2002 on has been bad, but the blue blur's definitely had a lot of rough patches, with plenty of his games being polarizing, disappointing, widely mocked, or just plain broken. Why this is so continues to be debated, and it's doubtful that there's a single unifying answer, but the fact remains.

Your challenge is to significantly improve Sonic's gameography from 2002 onwards.

Sonic adventure 2
changes I would make to it make metal sonic the vilian that dies instead of shadow causing shadow to be the main vilian of every sonic game going forward
pros it causes a movie adaptation of the game to be put into active development with Stephen Norrington slated to direct and it gains a huge amount of success of the sonic games and it remains a critical darling
cons it means that there is an after credits of the better version of sonic 06 that features elice and shadow getting it on

Gameography? Is that even a real word? I guess it inwant to make sonic's game timeline better, I'd make sonic unleashed the new 2006 anniversary game, merge sonic 06 and sonic generations into one game sense they both involve time travel, and push the sonic boom franchise back to 2016 so it has more time to develop.

Sonic adventure 2
changes I would make to it make metal sonic the vilian that dies instead of shadow causing shadow to be the main vilian of every sonic game going forward
pros it causes a movie adaptation of the game to be put into active development with Stephen Norrington slated to direct and it gains a huge amount of success of the sonic games and it remains a critical darling
cons it means that there is an after credits of the better version of sonic 06 that features elice and shadow getting it on
Sonic Adventure 2 was first released on the Dreamcast, making it too early.

Gameography? Is that even a real word? I guess it inwant to make sonic's game timeline better, I'd make sonic unleashed the new 2006 anniversary game, merge sonic 06 and sonic generations into one game sense they both involve time travel, and push the sonic boom franchise back to 2016 so it has more time to develop.
Yes, "gameography" is a real word.

I think Adventure 2 has a solid story, perhaps the best in the series, so I wouldnt change anything

Metal also has a solid game already in Heroes, not saying both titles couldnt be improved upon gaming wise but their story is good

Besides basic takes like "Xtreme shouldnt have been cancelled"(see Sonic Ztreme) "06 shouldnt been released unfinished"(see Project 06) and "the Werehog was a silly idea" there isnt much really to say

The Storybooks series was great but deserved a better gameplay instead of being more like a Sonic Mobile game for the console, same for Chronicles and Sonic 4(tho really Mania was the actual Sonic 4 and should've marketed as such)

Shadow the Hedgehog could have been much better under another (indie?) developer and with a different story(see Lisa)

Oh and also scrap Sonic Boom(the game, not the Opening or the show or the fangame, all of these are great) & Sonic Forces altogether, please

Bring Frontiers earlier in the timeline and just add First Bump & Infinite's theme to it if need be
(maybe the character creator too, I dont care much about it but it was fun, just keep it out of the story itself)
And it would've exceeded everyone's expectations just like it did IOTL

Overall though I think Sega should have stopped pandering to game magazines long ago, specially IGN with it's "too much water" shittakes that doesnt even pretend that they dont hate Sonic

Sega, or more specifically - Sonic - has a loyal and passionate fanbase that is willing to follow them through & through no matter the game and how much the franchise suffered, if Sega paid more attention to them instead of the magazines(and to be fair they have been doing this now to a great success, see Mania & the Sonic Movie) they would have been in a much better shape

It's probably not at all controversial to say that Sonic the Hedgehog has had a pretty rough time of it since Sega left the console market. That's not to say every game he's been in from 2002 on has been bad, but the blue blur's definitely had a lot of rough patches, with plenty of his games being polarizing, disappointing, widely mocked, or just plain broken. Why this is so continues to be debated, and it's doubtful that there's a single unifying answer, but the fact remains.

Your challenge is to significantly improve Sonic's gameography from 2002 onwards.
We use the term titles than gameography, game library is also valid but thanks for the link.

Here’s my ideas.:
  • Sega has Shadow the Hedgehog stay dead after Sonic Adventure 2, which means Sonic Heroes will be altered slightly and the Shadow the Hedgehog game will be butterflied away. As for Sonic 06? Well, it’s too complicated to be improved or worsened, so I say it’s replaced with a completely different and far better game.
  • Sega brings back Fang the Sniper, Bean the Dynamite, Bark the Polar Bear (with the first three being part of Team Hooligan), Mighty the Armadillo, Ray the Flying Squirrel, and creates two more original characters for Sonic Heroes to fulfill the six-team plan Sega had once.
  • Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure can be kept in, but a third Sonic Rush game is made in place of the DS Sonic Colors game (although elements of the DS version do get added into the Wii version).
  • The Meta era may or may not happen.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 remains a mobile-only game known as “Sonic the Hedgehog Portable”.
  • More spin-offs starring other characters, like for example, Blaze the Cat! She’s basically the Sol Dimension equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog. You can do more ideas with her (and on a side-note, Eggman Nega remains as Dr. Eggman’s Sol Dimension counterpart rather than future descendant, which that future descendant idea sounds really strange).
Now how do these ideas sound?

Deleted member 177304

I must confess that I'm not a Sonic fan at all, so I might be way off, but my suggestion would be for the Sonic games to stick closely to the design of the classic games, with each new entry essentially being a glorified graphical update. While this approach might seem lazy (because it is), it's worked wonders for Nintendo and it's properties, and the Sonic fanbase is certainly dedicated enough to accept this.

I must confess that I'm not a Sonic fan at all, so I might be way off, but my suggestion would be for the Sonic games to stick closely to the design of the classic games, with each new entry essentially being a glorified graphical update. While this approach might seem lazy (because it is), it's worked wonders for Nintendo and it's properties, and the Sonic fanbase is certainly dedicated enough to accept this.
It shows you don't know videogame at all. Nintendo only pulled it once with the NSMB series but the sales collapse as people realize how lazy Nintendo was with it

Deleted member 177304

It shows you don't know videogame at all. Nintendo only pulled it once with the NSMB series but the sales collapse as people realize how lazy Nintendo was with it
Are you sure? Because from what I could glean all the NSMB games sold well and were well praised, with only NSMB 2 receiving some mild criticism, and if I may be frank, every major Nintendo game franchise has had the exact same gameography more or less since the 80s, and yet almost all of them are massive hits to this day. To return to the main topic at hand, Sega taking a page out of Nintendo's book would probably help avert the Sonic franchise's many rough patches.

I think it was Sega's ambitious approach when it came to storytelling that made Sonic great
I do prefer the modern fantasy aspect of stages from the Classic & Advance games over "just Sonic in the real world" that we see in the Adventure series and such, but I do think the character design changes were top notch

Ultimately I think Sonic got undermined not by Sega "doing what Nintendo'nt" but because they kept using unpolished ideas and releasing unrefined products which resulted in games that otherwise could've been great becoming yet another tragic note in the franchise requiring fan game designers to patch them up long after the damage was already done

Evey time Sega released a clearly finished product with it's ideas well implemented it did great and the game wasnt held back at all by their vision and innovation

The problem is that rather than learning to be more responsible, what Sega and critics of the series took from it was that being ambitious was bad and it should instead just do what Nintendo did, which got us to Sonic Lost World, Rise of Lyrics and the poor atempts at self depricating MCU-level humour, while also "playing safe" by sucking up to said critics who more often than not outright hated the series

I wonder a lot if Sonic's reputation for bad video games was a result of Sonic '06's disastrous development and failed expectations to meet the hype. I'm not a massive Sonic fan but I feel like it's around that point that the series probably gained it's infamy for mediocrity, though Sega never managing to release a finished and/or refined game for several years after that certainly did not help. Actually looking into its development history was quite interesting. After the mixed reception of Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, Sega wanted to revive the franchise with a more cinematic, darker version of Sonic, so they cut a deal with Microsoft in late 2004 in order to release a game for the Xbox 360 around the 2006 holiday season. However, in spring 2006, Yuji Naka, along with 10 other members of the development team, left Sega in order to found their own studio, Prope. At the same time, the Wii's hardware specs were revealed and the Sonic '06 team realized that it would not be powerful enough to run the game at it's current state. Sega decides to split the already lackluster crew in half in order to work on a completely different Sonic game, Sonic and the Secret Rings, just so that they can have something released for the Wii. With a skeleton crew working on new hardware with an entirely new engine, the game released as a buggy and unfinished mess and became known as the worst Sonic game ever released.

I want to do more than just "Sega just finishes every Sonic game and makes them good," so how about this as a PoD: Yuji Naka thinks to start his own company but decides against it, at least until Sonic '06 has finished development. Later in development, he manages to convince Sega that splitting the team in order to make a Sonic game for the Wii would be a bad decision, citing how close the game is to release as well as the rather small development team. Sega agrees and as such Sonic and the Secret Rings is never released. Come November 2006, Sonic '06 is properly developed and releases to massive critical and commercial success. While in OTL Sonic '06 garnered infamy as the worst Sonic game ever made, in this ATL Sonic '06 is credited as the game that revived the Sonic franchise that matched the ambitious goals it set out with back in 2004. With the massive commercial success of Sonic '06, Sega is able to give the Sonic team a much higher budget for any future Sonic games they develop.

I'm not an expert in game development or Sonic so if anything seems entirely unrealistic feel free to criticize :p

Honestly, it did seem like it was a combination of not enough time put in some of the projects or consideration of ideas. I never grew up with SEGA consoles and my first introduction to the Sonic games was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and the GBA games. So I do not know how well my opinions would work here, so here is what I think with what could be done:

Sonic Heroes: Cut the length of the stage levels. I remember that they'd often take a fair bit of time and well, you are playing as multiple characters so I get everyone usage there, but oof, the stages can feel like a chore. Preferably, make up the lost time with one or two exta levels. I understand that would probably take more time, but well, try to simplify it to not make it as much of a burden. Beyond that... it's a solid game I think.

Shadow the Hedgehog: Honestly, this game is pretty so-so. While slightly convoluted, I don't think it was that bad in consideration in giving Shadow his own game. That said, this game probably did take alot of time away from what could've gone for Sonic 06. So honestly, shelving this game for the time being would work best for the franchise as a whole. Though that said, given how Sonic 06 is perceived, it's unsure if it will break out of the limbo.

Sonic & the Secret Rings: Like Shadow the Hedgehog, shelve it for the time being. If we want to make Sonic 06 the best game, we need all hands on deck for it. I don't think should be a difficult decision. Besides it being shelved, I don't think it needs much else.

Sonic 06/Sonic Revoluton: Keep Yuji Naka to try to keep the game consistent and have this be his final game for SEGA. With Shadow and Secret Rings shelved for the time being, this could spare more developers and time to make the game good and keep it in time for the 15th anniversary release. Now, how much this would change the game... I don't know. The extra time and manpower could definitely scrub most if not all the bugs. Additionally, they may be able to give the characters more dynamic posing and animation in cutscenes so they don't come off as stiff, which is something I think would be brought up. Alternately, I am thinking some of the design choices of the shelved games would play in. Like using the models already made in say Shadow the Hedgehog and so on if they made it that far in development. Heck, Shadow's sections may be more like the gunplay of his would-be game rather than just the vehicles here.

Now, we can be fairly certain most of the bugs would be scrubbed and likely also that the animations and expressions (including voice acting) would be alot livier. But the game would still not be perfect. Given how they were trying to go for a "realistic" vibe based on how Batman Begins was doing and capturing that epic feel, we'd still have the story all over the place. A convoluted and strange messy story. Shadow's story would likely be simplified since Shadow the Hedgehog is shelved and maybe it was answered that Mephiles was the one who saved Shadow for his own ends? Blaze's inclusion may or may not happen, though she could be replaced by say Cream.

Ultimately, with two games being shelved yet having enough assets that could be used, this should allow for the game to be finished on time for the 15th anniversary. Especially since the team would not be split up. Of course, there is the danger of time so SEGA may have to bite the bullet and do a Sweet 16th anniversary, but I don't think that'd be necessary if Secret Rings and Shadow are both shelved and thus could lead to a release on the Wii.

Overall, the game would be alot better in mechanics, but still be this strange hallmark storywise. It would likely be a financial success while perhaps being like a 7/10 or 8/10. Naka's departure would still leave the series in trying to move forward and the story being messy (if not as much as OTL) would reflect on that along with tone.

Sonic Unleashed/Sonic World Adventure: Sonic Unleashed was defined by the troubles of 06 and here it'd be no different. That said, 06 not being rushed would mean they likely wouldn't be as drastic in some of the changes. Given how Tails would be included, I would predict that game would go and focus as Sonic and Tails as the playable characters and stick with its original title of Sonic World Adventure. That said, they may still wanna seperate it from the Adventure games, but still keep the World aspect. So could be like Sonic World Quest or something among those lines.

So replace the Werehog stages with stages over for Tails. Perhaps borrow a couple elements from Sonic Adventure 2 and have him blast stuff, just with the arm cannon from Sonic Battle. Besides that... I think the game would be able to do pretty well for itself honestly there. A back to basics approach of Sonic and Tails stopping Eggman's scheme. Could keep the Light/Dark Gaia stuff, if just tweaked to note the lack of Werehog.

Sonic Colors: I don't see much changes here except over for expanding gameplay to include options for Tails with his differing usage of the Wisps or perhaps it'd be Sonic and Tails together. It would probably be the most alike as OTL and allow for alot of fun.

Sonic Generations: Honestly, I could see it to where it is Modern Sonic + Tails and Classic Sonic + Tails. It would sitll be a fun celeberation of the past and present over with everyone involved. That said, with less troubles from Sonic 06, I would see this being the turning point over with fans now wanting to see characters like Knuckles and Amy along with the others become playable again, especially seeing everyone here.

After this... I'm kinda at a loss on how things would go. We may still get Sonic and the Black Knight later than OTL if Secret Rings comes out still, if just later.

Sonic Lost World would potentially be pretty different. The team would have more incentive to change things and be innovative, so likely see Knuckles and Amy return. We would also likely see the desire for the Mario Galaxy styled sort of gameplay. However, it's a matter of time and effort since the game was mixed there (from what I read, the parkour on the Wii U was kind of a mess, but the 3DS handled it better). Honestly, I could see the game being still pretty mid, but not as much. It'd be one of those games that would get a remasteriing over for the Switch and do alot better there. Hell, I could see Sonic Lost World Ultimate lets call it include Knuckles and Amy if it didn't for the original Wii U version, thus redeeming the game even more.

Sonic Forces would probably bring more of the supporting cast to play with like Shadow, Rouge, Omega and so on over if they can find the best way to do so. I don't think it'd be difficult though. Additionally, since 06 was not a dumpster fire, Sonic Team wouldn't feel like they have to include the Wisps every so often and that would change up game stuff here.

I would think by this point we would definitely see Knuckles return here if not in Lost World along with alot of the other playable characters. The details I don't know how it would go, but they may take elements from Sonic Heroes or the Adventure games and try to refine them. Perhaps a pair system? But probably no Wisps or Classic Sonic, so it would definitely see the foray of everyone there. Likely a different story to a degree since the Phantom Ruby wouldn't need to connect with Forces.

One idea could be the six teams idea they wanted to do with Sonic Heroes (as stated by @MegaToon1234 ) and with Heroes potentially being here than OTL, would be fun to expand on the idea with more power and more characters. We could see the return of Fang, Bark and Bean there, perhaps as a team of bounty hunters/rivals to the Chaotix as a 5th team. For a 6th team, well we have Mighty and Ray there, but unsure who could fill in the void. Granted, if we wanted to go full retro, then maybe modernize Honey the Cat, which would fit really well for the retro vibe. Honestly, we could have a 7th team as DLC of Blaze, Silver and another outsider (maybe Shade the Echinda if things did not end up so messily there with Sonic Chronicles).

As for spin-offs... harder to say. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 may likely still be troublesome if made, the team may not be as pressured to make it. We may still get Sonic Mania out of the desire for a bunch of the older characters to come back and the desire for more characters there could lead to something with Amy included there along with Mighty and Ray. And then there are things off the wall like Sonic Chronicles.

Cut the length of the stage levels
I do actually like their length
While I understand how it may feel like a chore for some, specially if you're trying to speedrun it, Im very into exploring so the stages being that large and having so much to do in them was always something very pleasant to me, felt like a true adventure
Maybe the checkpoints could have been distributed better though so that you dont restart way far back in the stage whenever you accidentaly die
Shadow the Hedgehog: Honestly, this game is pretty so-so. While slightly convoluted, I don't think it was that bad in consideration in giving Shadow his own game. That said, this game probably did take alot of time away from what could've gone for Sonic 06. So honestly, shelving this game for the time being would work best for the franchise as a whole. Though that said, given how Sonic 06 is perceived, it's unsure if it will break out of the limbo
Or just let another studio develope it under Sega supervision like with Mania, Shadow the Hedgehog was always supposed to be a more dark-looking Sonic game with unique features so it'd only make sense to give the project to someone who already makes games like that and if it still goes bad Sega can avoid responsability
That'd let them focus on 06 like you said
Sonic & the Secret Rings: Like Shadow the Hedgehog, shelve it for the time being. If we want to make Sonic 06 the best game, we need all hands on deck for it. I don't think should be a difficult decision. Besides it being shelved, I don't think it needs much else.
Or keep it a mobile game like Sonic 4 was also intended to be, the one-direction gameplay makes it ideal for that and as game for smartphones I think it would have been regarded as pretty epic
Sonic World Adventure.
I'd keep that title in Japan, in the West I think Sonic Unleashed builds more hype

On the Werehog, I think if Sonic got a form more like Darkspine in the game both look-wise and gameplay wise I think it would have been more well received alongside the night stages, which I think would have been better as an non-obligatory alternative to the day stages in finishing the game and(in case you opt to go through the day stages) something extra you can play for 100% completion after already finishing the game

Perhaps say Sonic reawakened it after Secret Rings if it came first or if Secret Rings came later say the World Rings allowed him to tap into the form again against Erazor Djinn

I would keep Tails playable though, thats a great idea and I agree 100% with you on that

I do actually like their length
While I understand how it may feel like a chore for some, specially if you're trying to speedrun it, Im very into exploring so the stages being that large and having so much to do in them was always something very pleasant to me, felt like a true adventure
Maybe the checkpoints could have been distributed better though so that you dont restart way far back in the stage whenever you accidentaly die
I didnt have much trouble with the lengths myself, but I am trying to think of the general audience because these stages could be long, especially if approaching 10 minutes or something.
Or just let another studio develope it under Sega supervision like with Mania, Shadow the Hedgehog was always supposed to be a more dark-looking Sonic game with unique features so it'd only make sense to give the project to someone who already makes games like that and if it still goes bad Sega can avoid responsability
That'd let them focus on 06 like you said
Who were you thinking?

Or keep it a mobile game like Sonic 4 was also intended to be, the one-direction gameplay makes it ideal for that and as game for smartphones I think it would have been regarded as pretty epic
I mean... Secret Rings came out in 2007, so there's that to consider with what sort of mobile game it could be.
I'd keep that title in Japan, in the West I think Sonic Unleashed builds more hype

On the Werehog, I think if Sonic got a form more like Darkspine in the game both look-wise and gameplay wise I think it would have been more well received alongside the night stages, which I think would have been better as an non-obligatory alternative to the day stages in finishing the game and(in case you opt to go through the day stages) something extra you can play for 100% completion after already finishing the game

Perhaps say Sonic reawakened it after Secret Rings if it came first or if Secret Rings came later say the World Rings allowed him to tap into the form again against Erazor Djinn

I would keep Tails playable though, thats a great idea and I agree 100% with you on that
Honestly, having two forms of Sonic plus Tails would be a bit much and what would be the point of Darkspine if he played similarly over to Sonic in this case?

Honestly, having two forms of Sonic plus Tails would be a bit much and what would be the point of Darkspine if he played similarly over to Sonic in this case?
I dont think he would play like Sonic, his gameplay in his fight with the final boss of Secret Rings was very different from Sonic's gameplay in that game and even more so in Unleashed

It would still be brawl-focused, just not slow down like the Werehog gameplay
As for multiple characters, I think the game could easily handle it considering how many characters its predecessors(06 in particular) and successors(Generations and such) handled

It'd be only three gaming-wise while lorewise it would just be Sonic & Tails with Sonic having a new form which isnt that different from Super Sonic being playable in Colours or Forces alongside Tails
I mean... Secret Rings came out in 2007, so there's that to consider with what sort of mobile game it could be.
True!
I didnt have much trouble with the lengths myself, but I am trying to think of the general audience because these stages could be long, especially if approaching 10 minutes or something
Also very true, good point
Who were you thinking?
No company in particular, just brainstormed about some of the last "edge" games released that I paid attention(the Resident Evil franchise, LISA as I've mentioned before and Limbo) and I think Shadow the Hedgehog had potential to be just as great if handled with care by a production that focused on it(rather than dividing it's attention with another game like 06) and was already experienced with that genre

I dont think he would play like Sonic, his gameplay in his fight with the final boss of Secret Rings was very different from Sonic's gameplay in that game and even more so in Unleashed

It would still be brawl-focused, just not slow down like the Werehog gameplay
As for multiple characters, I think the game could easily handle it considering how many characters its predecessors(06 in particular) and successors(Generations and such) handled

It'd be only three gaming-wise while lorewise it would just be Sonic & Tails with Sonic having a new form which isnt that different from Super Sonic being playable in Colours or Forces alongside Tails
True though Super Sonic was a bonus treat unlike this other form. And honestly, if it was brawl-focused, now I'm thinking of Knuckles being included here XD. But I don't see how that'd make sense unless Eggman's plan also shattered the Master Emerald and seperated it.

Wait, this sounds like a pretty good idea too...
True!

Also very true, good point
Yeah, we have to think about general concensus and what the most amount of people would enjoy. As with Sonic and Secret Rings, probably would pad out a release schedule with Black Knight.

No company in particular, just brainstormed about some of the last "edge" games released that I paid attention(the Resident Evil franchise, LISA as I've mentioned before and Limbo) and I think Shadow the Hedgehog had potential to be just as great if handled with care by a production that focused on it(rather than dividing it's attention with another game like 06) and was already experienced with that genre
I think the issue there was because how it messed up what we already had with Shadow's origin and the multitude of storylines and so on. Spinning it off would not have exactly fixed those problems fans would've had,

True though Super Sonic was a bonus treat unlike this other form. And honestly, if it was brawl-focused, now I'm thinking of Knuckles being included here XD. But I don't see how that'd make sense unless Eggman's plan also shattered the Master Emerald and seperated it.

Wait, this sounds like a pretty good idea too...
It does sound awesome!
up what we already had with Shadow's origin and the multitude of storylines and so on. Spinning it off would not have exactly fixed those problems fans would've had
True, I was only thinking of the gameplay
I think lorewise it aouldybe better off to scrap the Black Arms having anything to do with Shadow's origins whatsoever, like you could still have Gerald be aware of their existence and have built the Eclipse Cannon originally to protect Earth from them but none of that "Shadow was made with alien DNA" sillines
Though you could also have Black Doom try to gaslight Shadow into thinking he's his real dad due to his knowledge of Gerald just like Eggman tried to make Shadow believe he was one of his android replicas of the real thing

It does sound awesome!
Honestly, replacing the werehog than with Knuckles would work and include Tails and it 'd be quite a game if the story fits.

True, I was only thinking of the gameplay
I think lorewise it aouldybe better off to scrap the Black Arms having anything to do with Shadow's origins whatsoever, like you could still have Gerald be aware of their existence and have built the Eclipse Cannon originally to protect Earth from them but none of that "Shadow was made with alien DNA" sillines
Though you could also have Black Doom try to gaslight Shadow into thinking he's his real dad due to his knowledge of Gerald just like Eggman tried to make Shadow believe he was one of his android replicas of the real thing
Honestly, it does sorta make sense. After all, how the hell did we go from the Biolizard over to Shadow in such a short period of time then?

The execution could've been done better I will admit there, but it wasn't a completely bad idea. Other odd ideas was the GUN commander being friends with Maria, which I thought was weird with how he could then view GUN as the good guys everything that has happened and so on. As for who rescued Shadow, I suggested Mephiles, but that would require also some change to Sonic 06?

Then again, it could be his super form protected him from the fall.