AHC: if Nintendo went multiplatform instead of SEGA but Sega stays in Console Market?

This question hypothetically asks if Nintendo went Multiplatform instead of SEGA.

Assuming Sega stays in the console market and Nintendo becomes Multiplatform Developer, What would Nintendo make first Video game for which Consoles? Sega or Sony?

How would Nintendo fans react to an Multiplatform Nintendo in a very different timeline?

This question hypothetically asks if Nintendo went Multiplatform instead of SEGA.

Assuming Sega stays in the console market and Nintendo becomes Multiplatform Developer, What would Nintendo make first Video game for which Consoles? Sega or Sony?

How would Nintendo fans react to an Multiplatform Nintendo in a very different timeline?
The real question is... Would Microsoft still enter the console market with Nintendo no longer in the console scene and Sega still making consoles?

Last edited:
The real question is... Would Microsoft still enter the console market with Nintendo no longer in the console scene and Sega still making consoles?
It depends. I assume you mean Microsoft still enter the Console market with Nintendo no longer in the console scene and Sega still making consoles, what would Nintendo do to release the first game for PS2, Xbox, Sega Dreamcast?

I suppose Sega was able to knock out Nintendo in both console and handheld market, who's the new enemy for Sega to challenge in Console and Handheld market?

Last edited:
Since Nintendo is now a multiplatform developer ITTL, would they see a decrease in quality control around the mid-2000s, possibly leading to a ATL Mario equivalent of Sonic '06?

Microsoft would still buy Rare at least in a Nintendo firesale, maybe they stick to software and decided to only be a published?

Everyone Knows that the N64 sold below expectations in Japan(around 5 million units compared to the Saturn's 6 mil and the ps1's staggering 19 mil) so if we wanted Nintendo to become a multiplatform dev/publisher around the same time Sega did in otl, the N64 would probably have to sell even worse in Japan and it would have to sell less than the Saturn in America and Europe. For the handheld side however, I'll get to that later . As for what system Nintendo would develop for when they stop making consoles, for me, they definitely would not start developing stuff for Sony(aka the PS2) out of a grudge, they would consider making stuff for Dreamcast, but then comes in Microsoft with the Xbox, we all know that Microsoft tried to purchase Nintendo in otl and they got laughed at, but ITTL, with Nintendo financially strained, they still would not be bought out, but instead become sort of second party developer for the Xbox for a year or two. So stuff like Luigi's mansion and other launch titles for the GameCube by Nintendo, would be Xbox launch titles, with later titles like Metroid prime and the big boy, Mario sunshine, would be Xbox exclusives. Now for the handheld of Nintendo, for me, they would still make the GBA, with help from Microsoft, making the original Xbox and GBA brother and sister consoles like the GameCube and GBA was in otl. That's all that I can come up with. Could make for a cool timeline.

I think for this to happen, Sega would have to not focus on all the add ons for the Genesis (Sega CD, 32X) and not release the Nomad, and instead focus on the games and pushing the existing hardware to its potential. Sega, IIRC, led Nintendo from around the time Sonic launched in 1991 until about 1994. If they can maintain the lead, or at the very least come out of the 16 bit era neck and neck, they'd be in a good position to outpace Nintendo in the 32/64 bit era. This of course would also require Sega to not rush the launch of the Saturn, which along with it being hard to develop games for, hurt them.

Everyone Knows that the N64 sold below expectations in Japan(around 5 million units compared to the Saturn's 6 mil and the ps1's staggering 19 mil) so if we wanted Nintendo to become a multiplatform dev/publisher around the same time Sega did in otl, the N64 would probably have to sell even worse in Japan and it would have to sell less than the Saturn in America and Europe. For the handheld side however, I'll get to that later . As for what system Nintendo would develop for when they stop making consoles, for me, they definitely would not start developing stuff for Sony(aka the PS2) out of a grudge, they would consider making stuff for Dreamcast, but then comes in Microsoft with the Xbox, we all know that Microsoft tried to purchase Nintendo in otl and they got laughed at, but ITTL, with Nintendo financially strained, they still would not be bought out, but instead become sort of second party developer for the Xbox for a year or two. So stuff like Luigi's mansion and other launch titles for the GameCube by Nintendo, would be Xbox launch titles, with later titles like Metroid prime and the big boy, Mario sunshine, would be Xbox exclusives. Now for the handheld of Nintendo, for me, they would still make the GBA, with help from Microsoft, making the original Xbox and GBA brother and sister consoles like the GameCube and GBA was in otl. That's all that I can come up with. Could make for a cool timeline.
That’s a great idea. Can you make it a timeline too?