AHC New York City a State and Capital of USA

I am in London. I wonder if there could be a Mayor/ Governor covering not only the existing City but more of Long Island, Westchester County and parts of New Jersey.

What would it be like?

New York city was the capital when Washington was sworn in as president. It was decided when the constitution was drafted that no state would host the permanent capital. So, NYC would have been turned into a federal district, The District of Franklin maybe. Its government would look like the District of Columbia. A mayor who would be treated as a Mayor/Governor and a City Council/ State Assembly. I can see the boroughs being treated as counties. It would be under Federal jurisdiction meaning that Congress could overrule the local government if needed.

New York city was the capital when Washington was sworn in as president. It was decided when the constitution was drafted that no state would host the permanent capital. So, NYC would have been turned into a federal district, The District of Franklin maybe. Its government would look like the District of Columbia. A mayor who would be treated as a Mayor/Governor and a City Council/ State Assembly. I can see the boroughs being treated as counties. It would be under Federal jurisdiction meaning that Congress could overrule the local government if needed.
New York City in those days was basically just a piece of southern Manhattan.

At best, the New York DF would be New York County.

Don't forget, Washington DC's metro area spills way outside of DC.

Last edited: