Austria get new territories after WWII

Valdemar II

Banned
How can we get Austria to gain/regain new territories after WWI. Mostly I'm thinking about them gaining Tyrol, but maybe also Slovenia and all the territories Italy gained after WWI.

Susano

Banned
If Italy does not switch sides in 1943, then that is very much a possibility, I would say, what with Austrias ironic and quite frankly pathetic playing of the victim card after WW2.

How can we get Austria to gain/regain new territories after WWI. Mostly I'm thinking about them gaining Tyrol, but maybe also Slovenia and all the territories Italy gained after WWI.

The only way I can see is if Austria is an actual victim of Nazi (and Italian) agressian instead of a willing participant of the Anschluss. Although Slovenia might be possible if it is clear that the rest Yugoslavia becomes part of the Russian sphere of influence, while Austria is part of the American sphere and Slovenia is liberated by the western allies (although an independent Slovenia is probably more likely).

Valdemar II

Banned
If Italy does not switch sides in 1943, then that is very much a possibility, I would say, what with Austrias ironic and quite frankly pathetic playing of the victim card after WW2.

Silly Susano, everybody know that Hitler was German and Mozart was Austrian:p

Valdemar II

Banned
The only way I can see is if Austria is an actual victim of Nazi (and Italian) agressian instead of a willing participant of the Anschluss. Although Slovenia might be possible if it is clear that the rest Yugoslavia becomes part of the Russian sphere of influence, while Austria is part of the American sphere and Slovenia is liberated by the western allies (although an independent Slovenia is probably more likely).

Maybe if Stalin sees that he can't dominate Yugoslavia earlier and fear they will become a westen ally, and tries to strengthen neutral Austria to make a big hole in the potential allied defence in a poential WWIII (just as he supported a united and neutral Austria in OTL for the same reason).

Maybe if Stalin sees that he can't dominate Yugoslavia earlier and fear they will become a westen ally, and tries to strengthen neutral Austria to make a big hole in the potential allied defence in a poential WWIII (just as he supported a united and neutral Austria in OTL for the same reason).
The problem with that is that if Stalin can't dominate Yugoslavia, how will he be able to give Slovenia to Austria.

Valdemar II

Banned
The problem with that is that if Stalin can't dominate Yugoslavia, how will he be able to give Slovenia to Austria.

Make a deal with allies, and when Germany surrender much of Slovenia was in German hands, if they by the surrender is kept to keep order in Slovenia, South Tyrol and Triest, Austria can get it after the peace deal (maybe it placed under English occupation, while South Tyrol is put under French occupation.)

Id say if the Italians dont change sides, its very likely for Austria to get South Tirol and Slovenia, but hardly Istria and Rijeka (liberated by the Partisans).

If the Austrians had actively resisted the Anschluss instead of 'bending over and taking it', the Allies would have treated the Austrians as victims. Maybe they could have a chunk of Bavaria :D

If the Austrians had actively resisted the Anschluss instead of 'bending over and taking it', the Allies would have treated the Austrians as victims. Maybe they could have a chunk of Bavaria :D

What Susano alludes to is the world of difference that seperates "bending over and taking it" and "whooping ecstatically whilst waving a flag and showering flowers on the "conqueror"."

There's still some pretty absurd revisionism around: I recently saw the claim that Hitler was an "honorary German" because he "loved the German state and hated the Austrian one". This is, in a 30s context, a bit like saying that I hate Scotland because I love the British state.

I'm not sure how Austria would get anything, since I think they "voted" for union with the Reich. They should just be thankful the Soviets didn't turn them into the Democratic People's Republic of Austria.

Deleted member 1487

I'm not sure how Austria would get anything, since I think they "voted" for union with the Reich. They should just be thankful the Soviets didn't turn them into the Democratic People's Republic of Austria.

They never had the chance. The Austrian dictator called for a plebiscite, but the Germans invaded before it could be held. The Austrian military did not resist and the Austrian leader was put in a concentration camp until 1945. So while they never did vote to be annexed, they did not really do anything to stop it. Mussolini was the only power willing to stand up for Austria, which he did in 1936, but that really had to do with limiting German recovery and keeping Austria a satellite fascist state. By 1938 the game had changed and the allies wasn't willing to fight over Austria (well, France was kind of, but Britain did not support them, so it happened).

They never had the chance. The Austrian dictator called for a plebiscite, but the Germans invaded before it could be held. The Austrian military did not resist and the Austrian leader was put in a concentration camp until 1945. So while they never did vote to be annexed, they did not really do anything to stop it. Mussolini was the only power willing to stand up for Austria, which he did in 1936, but that really had to do with limiting German recovery and keeping Austria a satellite fascist state. By 1938 the game had changed and the allies wasn't willing to fight over Austria (well, France was kind of, but Britain did not support them, so it happened).

Hence why vote was in "parentheses".

Deleted member 1487

An Austria with South Tyrol and Slovenia is going to be significantly bigger (at least by 1.5 million or so) and wealthier, but it going to have some troubles with minority rights. Depending on what else it gets, the country might have decent access to the Mediterranean, which then increases their wealth that much more, limits Italy really not at all, and increases their independence of Germany economically in the modern era.

A country today of about 9 million people, of whom 1 million are immigrants, I could see Austria being a much more attractive spot for Eastern European immigration (which it is already). The Slovenian area is likely to attract the majority of refugees from the ex-Yugoslavia, though Vienna is still going to be quite popular. Today the nation styles itself the crossroad of Europe between East and West, which would probably be more true if Slovenia is part of country; it would likely increase the nation's involvement economically and politically in the Balkans, as the Slavic citizens are going to be a vital asset in negotiating and connecting with leaders throughout the region.