Challenge: Austria-Hungary-Serbia triple monarchy

I was inspired by the "How should Austria handle its Serbia problem" thread to ask this question:

is there any way, post 1900 or even post 1880, for Serbia to be an equal dominion of the Hapsburgs to Austria and Hungary?

Bonus if Serbia is a willing participant...

Much weaker Russia, or at least a Russia not obssessed with Pan-Slavism.

And being part of Austria-Serbia-Hungary wouldn't be too bad. They would have pretty good control over their internal politics. But unless the Turks went through a revival and tromped pretty closeby, I can't think of anything.

In my opinion, the simplest would be for AH to move quickly, annex it, and give it equal status to Hungary if they seem about to revolt.

Maybe throw in Bosnia and Croatia to form a South Slavic component of the empire, sort of a rump Yugoslavia. Of course, it'll probably be Serb dominated like Hungry was magyar dominated or Austro-Bohemia german dominated.

There was talk in 1913/14 that Franz Ferdinand wanted to make it a triple monarchy.

So how about Uncle Joseph dies in 1914, Ferdinand doesnt go to Serbia, lives, becomes Emperor and then creates Triple Crown Monarchy as soon as he assumes throne.

There was talk in 1913/14 that Franz Ferdinand wanted to make it a triple monarchy.

So how about Uncle Joseph dies in 1914, Ferdinand doesnt go to Serbia, lives, becomes Emperor and then creates Triple Crown Monarchy as soon as he assumes throne.

Unlikely since the Hungarians were not going to permit the elevation of another nationality to the same status as themselves. The Hungarians insisted upon a promise from the Imperial Government in OTL 1914 that there would be no annexation of Serbian territory.

I think the best oppurtunities are pre-1890: 1. There was some offer by the King of Serbia to sell his kingdom to the Austrians to settle his debts. The Austrians refused. (At least thats what I've heard somewhere). 2. The Austrians and Russians wholeheartedly agree on dividing the Balkans between themselves and Serbia ends up in Austria's sphere of influence.

Bright day
Well if this was not after 1900, we could say that Austrians don't waste Eugen's victories... But then there would be question why Serbia and not any other more prestigious kingdom.

Thande

Donor
Bright day
Well if this was not after 1900, we could say that Austrians don't waste Eugen's victories... But then there would be question why Serbia and not any other more prestigious kingdom.
Bohemia, in other words? ;)

I thought Franz Ferdinand wanted sort of a triple monarchy, but I was under the impressions that it was with the Bosnians...
And if there is a triple monarchy, mightn't Hungary be a little peeved?

It was with the Yugoslavians - Serbians, Croatians, Bosnians and Slovenians together.
And yes, Hungary would have SUCH a peeve...

Bright day

The Austrians could have lost Bohemia to Bavaria if they had tried to keep and expand their gains from the Austro-Turkish war that ended in 1718. In this case they would have had more Serbs than they did in OTL but a lot fewer Czechs.
Problems in this case would have been the Serbians' Orthodox faith and the partitions of Poland , which would have brought a significant number of Catholic Poles into the empire if those still had happened .

Bohemia, in other words? ;)

Hey! There is Dalmatia too...

But yes. Third largest ethnicity, most educated, over half of imperial industry... and OTL FJ even refused to get crowned Czech king (so you can say that Czechia was under military ocupation from 2.12. 1848 ;))

Thande

Donor
Hey! There is Dalmatia too...

But yes. Third largest ethnicity, most educated, over half of imperial industry... and OTL FJ even refused to get crowned Czech king (so you can say that Czechia was under military ocupation from 2.12. 1848 ;))
I've been considering this for a timeline I'm planning and may actually do at some point :rolleyes:

I was wondering if it were possible to have a triple monarchy of Austria, Hungary and some sort of 'Panslavia' which would include both Bohemia and the Balkan regions, but I suspect that's not very likely.

I'm inclined towards some sort of Danubian federation instead as a result of an alternative 1848.