DBWI: Edward, Prince of Wales didn't die in 1920

A bit obscure I know, but what if Edward, Prince of Wales (the eldest born of George V of Britain) didn't die at age 26 in 1920?

A bit obscure I know, but what if Edward, Prince of Wales (the eldest born of George V of Britain) didn't die at age 26 in 1920?

He marries an available daughter of a Peer (the supply of German princesses having dried up), has a few kids, and a mistress or two, becomes King when George V does in 1933, reigns until the late 70s or early 80s.

What else do you think would happen?

He might be one of the more fondly remembered kings among the rank-and-file, given his frequent visits to the front line.

Kind of a racist arse to Aborigines, though.

Given that he was quite headstrong there MIGHT be a problem about whom he wants to marry but the Windsors put duty first so it won't be an insurmountable problem for the establishment to sort out.

Would he be Edward VIII? Everone called him David. Also he could have called himself George VI to honour his father, George was one of his names.

Would he be Edward VIII? Everone called him David. Also he could have called himself George VI to honour his father, George was one of his names.
He was invested as Edward, Prince of Wales, so I'd imagine so.

One minor side-effect would be that there's be a lot fewer places in Kenya named "Prince Edward [insert here]" (OOC: Prince Edward was touring bits and bobs of the British Empire between 1919 and 1935).

He was invested as Edward, Prince of Wales, so I'd imagine so.

One minor side-effect would be that there's be a lot fewer places in Kenya named "Prince Edward [insert here]" (OOC: Prince Edward was touring bits and bobs of the British Empire between 1919 and 1935).

You just reminded me, this would butterfly HMS Prince Edward sinking Tirpitz during The Second Great War.

Yowza!

Suppose the First World War did not occur.
Suppose King George V had not had the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha changed to the House of Windsor.
Prince Edward marries Princess Caroline Matilda of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg. She is the daughter of Duke Friedrich Ferdinand and his wife, Karoline Mathilde.