England wins the Hundred Years' War

What if England conquers France in the 14th or early 15th century? I'm no expert on the period, but here are my basic postulates.

- Provided it can hold together, the United Kingdom of England-France would be the toughest kid on the block by far. It would be one big mama. I can foresee almost all-European alliances against this monster.

- No Wars of Roses. The English nobles wouldn't decimate each other in internecine struggles. This means the English merchant class remains relatively much weaker. The industrial revolution and capitalism may be delayed for a whole while unless saved by butterflies.

Discuss! PS: there must be previous goes at this. Can anyone link me to them, please? Search isn't working. :eek:

It wouldn't last. England and France are equally powerful so one could not permenantly dominate the other. And where would the seat of government be? If Henry V had lived longer, he could surely have held the union together throughout his reign. But this union would be extremely vunerable to rebellion as there would be few potential monarchs who could control both the English and French nobles simulataneously. Henry's successors would not be able to live off his prestige indefinately.
I think that the English/French union would not last long after Henry's death. Also, anyone who comes to rule this 'empire', far from being the 'toughest kid on the block' would be far too busy trying to hold their fragile and unstable realm together rather than waging war on other states.

I admit I've always wanted to see Joan fight Henry. There's evidence she was an actual tactician and not simply a morale booster and I've read the trial record. She was pretty sharp.

I know this is a scenario long before the Hundred Years War, but perhaps the Angevin Plantagenet King Richard I, instead of going on Crusade, prepares to invade of King Philip II Augustus' domains when he's on his way to the Levant.

I know this is a scenario long before the Hundred Years War, but perhaps the Angevin Plantagenet King Richard I, instead of going on Crusade, prepares to invade of King Philip II Augustus' domains when he's on his way to the Levant.

Well it would earn him an excommunication for horrendously abusing the Peace of God and his declaration of Crusade purely to get one-up on Philip, but it could otherwise lead to some great successes - Richard certainly had the military ability to really make ground in a war. It would be interesting to see what would happen though, especially as in the Angevin Empire scenario, the French domains have considerably more independence. Conceivably in an Angevin Empire which inherits or somehow takes the French crown, the Angevin domains of Aquitaine, Maine, Anjou, Poitou, Normandy etc (the "originals") might be relieved of their French vassalage and be equal partners to the English and French crowns, albeit with weaker dignities (King > Duke/Count) which would make for an interesting federation of states.

My real worry for these situations however is that it shatters the Balance of Power idea far too early - England can just dominate Europe, and unless it consciously avoids war or lets itself disintegrate into many successor states, it will grow in power purely through having too many good chances to expand. In my opinion, one state dominating Europe tends to make the future of Europe considerably more boring. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Well it would earn him an excommunication for horrendously abusing the Peace of God and his declaration of Crusade purely to get one-up on Philip, but it could otherwise lead to some great successes - Richard certainly had the military ability to really make ground in a war. It would be interesting to see what would happen though, especially as in the Angevin Empire scenario, the French domains have considerably more independence. Conceivably in an Angevin Empire which inherits or somehow takes the French crown, the Angevin domains of Aquitaine, Maine, Anjou, Poitou, Normandy etc (the "originals") might be relieved of their French vassalage and be equal partners to the English and French crowns, albeit with weaker dignities (King > Duke/Count) which would make for an interesting federation of states.

My real worry for these situations however is that it shatters the Balance of Power idea far too early - England can just dominate Europe, and unless it consciously avoids war or lets itself disintegrate into many successor states, it will grow in power purely through having too many good chances to expand. In my opinion, one state dominating Europe tends to make the future of Europe considerably more boring. Just my opinion, of course.
You really think England could have dominated Europe when they couldn't even rule their own island?

Faeelin

Banned
Well it would earn him an excommunication for horrendously abusing the Peace of God and his declaration of Crusade purely to get one-up on Philip, but it could otherwise lead to some great successes - Richard certainly had the military ability to really make ground in a war.

Did he? I don't see any real sign of that...

You really think England could have dominated Europe when they couldn't even rule their own island?

England in the 12th Century was ruled by a French-speaking nobility with lands on both sides of the Channel. If the so-called "Angevin Empire" was that, than it was practically a French realm. If Richard I disregarded Crusading for conquering France, then seizure of Capetian territories including Paris itself would go some way to confirming the French character of the Plantagenet realms. Richard's family were from Anjou, and he viewed himself as a Frenchmen. If he conquered Capetian France, there is little doubt that the seat of power of the Plantegenet realms would be initially placed in Paris, although whether or not the dynastic federation of kingdoms and dukedoms that was the Angevin Empire stays intact through the ages is a seperate matter.

The scenario of Henry V surviving long after 1422 would probably see him having to contend with various uprisings led by the regional French nobility. Henry is thoroughly English in mindset, and his centre of power was across the water.

What if England conquers France in the 14th or early 15th century? I'm no expert on the period, but here are my basic postulates.

- Provided it can hold together, the United Kingdom of England-France would be the toughest kid on the block by far. It would be one big mama. I can foresee almost all-European alliances against this monster.

- No Wars of Roses. The English nobles wouldn't decimate each other in internecine struggles. This means the English merchant class remains relatively much weaker. The industrial revolution and capitalism may be delayed for a whole while unless saved by butterflies.

Discuss! PS: there must be previous goes at this. Can anyone link me to them, please? Search isn't working. :eek:

Provided that such a kingdom manages to stay stable and in the long-run even creates some kind of AngloFrenchness identity it can indeed become a formidable rival to anyone else in Europe.

Stock answer number 14:
Seat of power soon moves to Paris as a early united France becomes ever richer. Eventually English interests take more of a back seat to French interests meaning the English are a constant thorn in the side of the monarchy. The English revolt against French rule every five minutes. Eventually someone would probally see them as a good cause to support so as to weaken France. As a weakened France would be at the top of most of Europe's agenda here; this is pre-Habsburg and Ottoman ascendancy so France has no compettion if it gets its act together early AND dominates England.

The Angevin Empire seems a more realistic option for an Anglo-French Union. The national identities and rivalries had not yet hardened around the turn of the 13th century. Henry II & Richard I were seen as Norman and lived in Aquitaine.

'England' is also in a far stronger position on the continent in the late 1100s, owning more of France than the Capetian Kings, whoes own lands were dominated by very large and independent-minded dukedoms (Flanders and Burgundy were both keen turncoats during Richard's French campaigns).

Also in 1159 you had the very tenuous situation whereby by Louis VII gave his daughters hand in marriage to Henry II son, Henry the Younger, making him for a time the heir the Capetian throne (I imagine his courtiers face-palmed). Eventually his second wife, with a habit for producing daughters died and third times a charm he got a son. Louis VII was very much a respected King for his piouty and charity but had little head for geopolitics or finances and say wife no.2 Catherine stays around another decade birthing girls, the aging Louis might become a target for his feudal vassals, who looking on the Angevin Empire and the dashing Henry the Younger might see which way the wind is blowing.

However, his great chivalry aside Henry Jnr. was very vain and easily led by his barons leading to civil war with his father and younger brother Richard Lionheart. However Henry II was lenient and even when his son died in 1183 during a second rebellion aged 28 (dysentry I think), he was aghast.

Now stretching my limited knowledge. Lets say the Louis remains without a male heir until around 1170-1175, not impossible. The Dukes are becoming anxious and old Louis certainly can't ignore Henry II's persistant border jaunts. Same time Henry II is very aware of his son's impatience over ruling no lands. Things may come to a head and in order to hold his position Louis might call for war. The Angevin Empire was never all too peaceful a place even before the Civil War, so an apparent oppurtunity may arise- he was very keen to take back western Normandy for instance.

With surprise on his side and local superiority, the French might make good inroads but with the mighty coffers of Anjou, Aquitaine and England to call on Henry II can hire all the muscle he needs, he also has little Lionheart to call on, a capable general since 16 and Henry the Younger, always one for a cavalry charge.

After one or two decisive field battles, the French could be reeling and the Dukes will be looking for escape plans. Deals are struck with Flanders and Burgundy, probably keeping their liberal autonomy and cue the Seige of Paris. Louis is dead or in exile, Henry the Younger is crowned Henri IIer of France, giving very little real power but effectively the decent provincial fief he sort, while leaving his father (now techincally his vassal) still in control of his kingdom until his death in the 1180s when England and France unite. Done! :D

However what will become of such an Empire is very uncertain. A bold, warrior and jouster yes, but the now Henry III(II) was a lazy guy happy to go to tournaments and drink while others ran the country. Might suit him and his brother Richard (who seemed happy to rule a decent fief himself) but he'll be dealing with Navarre, Toulouse, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and his new French Dukes as all possible flashpoints for the vast state.

If Henry follows through with his relaxed approach and is lucky I can see the Angevin Empire, if it holds, slipping into a Holy Roman style ultra-loose confederation within a generation or two. Hell dare I wank this any further and suggest a possible ATL-Magna Carta coming out of the deal?

This is the 12th Century we're talking about, not the 20th or even the 18th. The English didn't "rule their own island" because they hadn't felt the desire to get involved in far weaker countries' affairs, in the short time since England had established itself. But the Angevin Empire wasn't an English military conquest, it was a coming together of a kingdom and several sub-states of various sizes by virtue of Personal Union. The Angevin Empire didn't hold together for (the admittedly fairly short) time it existed because the English had garrisons there to keep it in line. It held together because every part of the Empire recognised the same monarch, even if through vassal rulers at times (Henry II's rule etc). Nationalism had not formed yet. Having the King of England rule your state did not constitute a national shame and cause the desire to overthrow a "foreign tyrant" to the Angevins. In fact, I've just read a book on the Angevin Empire, and government officials from Anjou, Maine and Normandy regularly appealed to the English to send officials to take part in their government, largely because local or even French (in general) people were seen to be too biased/involved in two-sided arguments or too bribable to be good administrators. What's more, the trade via sea-lanes was far more valuable than cross-border trade, and the Norman and Gascon middle classes preferred union with England because it was more profitable in encouraged trade. Heck, in 1450, at the start of the last English campaign to save the Duchy of Aquitaine, the English landed because the Gascon middle classes sent a plea for the English to overthrow the new French government there and restore English rule. If Richard were to attack a largely undefended Kingdom of France in Philip Augustus' absence, any land he might gain in a peace treaty would not consider itself to be enslaved territory, it would do what every piece of land switching ownership in that period did. It would shrug its shoulders collectively, the local lords would pledge allegiance to their new ruler, and the people would continue considering themselves subjects of the King of France, via Richard as a vassal of the same King. They wouldn't be a trouble to pacify, because with no French nationalism, and with the land still technically being a French fief, they wouldn't consider their new ruler to be a travesty to their own honour and dignity. It wouldn't require any supernatural power from the English to hold down more territories, it would merely require Richard and his successors to be good Kings and not blow it by losing all their land to the Kings of France again, as IRL. If the Angevins continued to be successful then it would likely be a matter of time until the Kingdom itself would become theirs - a Kingdom with the vast majority in the hands of a single vassal usually finds that vassal coming to exert full control over the King until he either makes a mistake causing the loss of his crown, or a marriage alliance unites the two families. In such a circumstance, a united England-France would unquestionably be Europe's strongest country, and so the English, through the assistance of, rather than in spite of, the French could conceivably dominate Europe. I don't see why there needs to be this assumption that if England has land on the continent, it does so as the foreign occupier. At every point until the end of the HYW, English lands in France were held as territories in union with England, and were garrisoned by loyal French troops, not the English.

Richard's family were from Anjou, and he viewed himself as a Frenchmen.

I largely agree with and thank you for your comment, Lysandros, but I don't agree with this bit. Richard didn't view himself as a Frenchman. He was brought up staunchly Aquitanian, and though as Duke of Aquitaine he came to disregard and diametrically oppose the otherwise ingrained Gascon concept of a weak Duke with fully autonomous and self-controlling vassals with no Ducal authority outside of three coastal cities, he otherwise saw Aquitaine as his heartland. Aquitaine's French status he viewed as purely incidental, and remember in this era, the south of France viewed itself almost as a separate entity from northern France, being the Langue d'Oc. Aquitaine resented Parisian incursions, and viewed itself with as much pride and independence almost as England from France. Under other conditions, it could have exerted as much independent spirit as Brittany, except that a weak Ducal rule and powerful vassal families tended to sabotage attempts to defend against royal invasions, and Aquitaine so frequently found itself in the royal domain anyway. If Richard - somehow - were to gain the throne of France he would likely remember his Aquitaine values, not to mention the fact that the Angevin Empire was a union of equals as much as anything, and it would shape his rule. If his successors shared his values, conceivably Aquitaine and Normandy would be freed from their French vassalage and would become equal partners to France and England, a la the Kingdom of Poland being equal to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. During the Angevin Empire, the Angevin domains really did exert a will to be fully autonomous and viewed as entities themselves, rather than just parts of France.

The Angevin Empire seems a more realistic option for an Anglo-French Union. <snip>

I like your ideas, Jape, and essentially fully agree with them, though I'm not sure the Angevin Empire would become "ultra-lose". There would be a problem initially with Henry II wanting to give his sons each their own lands, but from the ideas I read about in my book, it seems this was an idea which after Henry's death all involved came to realise the foolishness of. While Henry's sons won't be willing to give up their land, if (somehow) they either die off or their power is broken, I'd expect each of the lands to eventually either become like the French Dukes of the 1500s - independent in their own domains but tied infallably to the monarch, largely without the power to go their own way alone - or more likely I expect them to (somehow) be recollected to the royal demesne. But after this, ultra-lose I'm not so sure about. The HRE essentially happened because a literal plethora of miniature state rulers sprang up and then wholly failed to be contained by a succession of weak Kings who couldn't exert control. The Angevin Empire doesn't have that plethora of sub-rulers, nor the inheritance law to facilitate it, and essentially most of the union is under the direct control of the King himself. In such a system, more likely it would be like the UK with its Assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The King would provide direction, and while each state would go its own way on the finer points of the law and in which exact system it is administered, the King's control of politics, foreign policy, economics and such is going to prevent the constituent parts drifting. But yeah, otherwise I think I fully agree with you.

Hmm, the problem is that France had a much higher population than England. The English were kicking the French this way and that through much of the Hundred Years war, but ultimately once the French got their act together they had much more resources and man-power to throw at the English forces.

Hmm, the problem is that France had a much higher population than England. The English were kicking the French this way and that through much of the Hundred Years war, but ultimately once the French got their act together they had much more resources and man-power to throw at the English forces.

A popular misconception (resources, I can't question the manpower factor). The French did not have better resources than the English. The simple fact is that France had some shockingly poor/inefficient taxation services, and huge chunks of the country, such as Aquitaine, used their priviledge of autonomy to literally be able to opt out of taxes. This meant that the King could only properly tax about 3/5 of the country, and what he could tax, he didn't have the number of tax collectors to tax. Consequently, large parts of the royal demesne refused to pay their taxes and couldn't be threatened into doing so. In addition, the south of France was a comparatively poor, agricultural area, not exactly beneficial to heavy taxation. France's income during its most generous years was about the same as England's. This meant that, though the French Kings could summon hundreds of thousands of levies, they couldn't pay for them. The French considered themselves lucky when they could raise twice as many soldiers as England. If you look at the list of Anglo-French battles in this era, the French rarely had more than 30,000 soldiers, a number which the English sometimes matched. The French weren't able to fix this disparity (and not for want of trying) until the 17th Century, by which time England was no longer a continental threat.