Enrique IV of Castile and Leon and Blanca of Navarre have a happy marriage

Enrique, son of John II of Castile and Maria of Aragon, married Blanche of Navarre. They had no children, so he divorced her and married Juana of Portugal.

Juana gave birth to a daughter who was suspected to be an illegitimate child and this led to a succession war, but what if the marriage was happy and the couple already had children?

Maria (b. 1443-?)

Juan (b. 1446-?)

Blanca (b. 1449-?)

Enrique (b. 1452-?)

Charles of Viana may not have died to prevent Castile from claiming the crown of Navarre

I'm not sure if King Juan II would marry Isabella of Portugal here

AFAIK Enrique and Blanca had a decent marriage. Even after the annulment. After all, she named him "lieutenant-general of the kingdom" regardless of the fact they were no longer married.

If Blanca stays in Castile and has children then she doesn't end up imprisoned and poisoned by her father and husband. On the other hand this butterflies away Isabella I of Castile's reign.

Infanta Blanca might become the queen of England as she would be in the right age to wed Edward IV.

AFAIK Enrique and Blanca had a decent marriage. Even after the annulment. After all, she named him "lieutenant-general of the kingdom" regardless of the fact they were no longer married.

I mean they have kids

I try to ask about all possible influences their children have had on history

Infanta Blanca might become the queen of England as she would be in the right age to wed Edward IV.
So is Infanta Maria. It could be either of them. Or even the OTL Isabella of Castile, since she won't be marrying Ferdinand of Aragon here.

But yes, this butterflies Spain's unification, and therefore probably the Conquest of Granada, etc.

The kingdom of Granada was already a walking corpse at that time. It was more a question of when than if Castile would conquest it.
The unification of Spain would took another form, but probably still happens. Practically all its kingdoms wanted it and their royals kept marriying between them.

Last edited:
The kingdom of Granada was already a walking corpse at that time. It was more a question of when tham if Castile would conquest it.
The question if it would go as successful as it did in 1492. Or would it be a slower and more long drawn out process that cost Castile more?
The unification of Spain would took another form, but probably still happens. Practically all its kingdoms wanted it and their royals kept marriying between them.
Also would it be as a good union as Isabel and Ferdinand was?

The question if it would go as successful as it did in 1492. Or would it be a slower and more long drawn out process that cost Castile more?
Probably about the same, the difference in power is too great to suppose anything else.
Also would it be as a good union as Isabel and Ferdinand was?
That's anybody's gess. Could be worse, could be better. There could be even a union between Castile and Portugal first.
In any case, if it spares Castile from the grasp of the Habsburgs, that's a plus in my book.

The kingdom of Granada was already a walking corpse at that time. It was more a question of when than if Castile would conquest it.
Walking corpse? Perhaps. But outright conquest is far from certain. It was only in 1489 OTL that it did. Before that, the Aragonese and Castilian kings played factions off against one another. IIRC Boabdil made the mistake of pissing one of his viziers off in 1486. Fernando el Catolico went to work and by 1489 the vizier was willing to jump ship. The reason it was fatal for Boabdil was because said vizier controlled the passes/valleys that were the ramparts of the emirate.

In the 1440s/1450s, the two rival clans competing for the Granadan throne were still very much a thing. And there was the rivalry in Morocco as well (by the 1480s, the rival clan was down to a single member, who happened to be married to the Moroccan sultan). Plus, Abu Hasan and Enrique IV got along very well IIRC. And another member of the Granadan ruling family was even educated/raised at Enrique's court, served in his army*.

*This was one of Isabel la Catolica's charges against her brother, that he fraternized with Moors and Muslims. Some isabellinos even suggested there was more than just fraternizing going on. They used it as an excuse to force Enrique to disband the king's Moorish Guard (who only took orders from the king) thus leaving him open for a palace coup

*This was one of Isabel la Catolica's charges against her brother, that he fraternized with Moors and Muslims. Some isabellinos even suggested there was more than just fraternizing going on. They used it as an excuse to force Enrique to disband the king's Moorish Guard (who only took orders from the king) thus leaving him open for a palace coup
Which wouldn't happen if he has two healthy sons. I agree, I wonder whether the Moors might hang on a little longer here, even if the peninsula unites under someone other than Ferdinand and Isabella.