Expressions of Interest Regarding NZ Maori Timeline?

Hi there AHers,

I haven't been very active lately (and yes, I will contribute to my flagship TL, Stars & Sickles, soon enough), and will be pretty busy for a while with university and volunteering commitments, but I was thinking of embarking on a Of Rajahs and Hornbills-style TL set in Aotearoa/New Zealand.

The idea would be that it would focus on the development of the United Tribes of New Zealand, which was essentially a British protectorate in the North Island of New Zealand, but which was supplanted by the British with the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840 (the United Tribes had been formed in 1835).

IOTL, the British settlers essentially ignored the guarantees that the British Crown seem to have earnestly wanted to implant in New Zealand, with a recognition of Maori sovereignty and the likes, but put it under a protectorate to prevent France from taking control. The actions of the settlers eroded away the various Maori iwi's (tribes') sovereignty and has had a hugely detrimental effect on the wellbeing of Maori, who (like the aboriginal peoples of places such as Canada) are over-represented in statistics relating to crime, drug and alcohol abuse, and suicide.

The idea is to create a predominantly-Maori nation in Aotearoa, but which manages to take influences from Europe and benefit as much as possible. Things won't be perfect, and it wouldn't be "pulling a Meiji" as they'd never get to Japanese status as a great power, but it would be an interesting sociological enterprise.

Living in New Zealand, I have access to a lot of sources, although I'm not hugely familiar with them. But a TL about the subject would definitely stimulate my interest in researching the relevant information.

So, any interest?

Yeah, that would be interesting, a plausible colonialism-era indigenous nation in New Zealand, but how would you stop European settlement? I'd read it.

Yeah, that would be interesting, a plausible colonialism-era indigenous nation in New Zealand, but how would you stop European settlement? I'd read it.

There's a number of butterflies that could be used to prevent large-scale European settlement. After all, in 1830, only five years before the establishment of the United Tribes, there were less than 1000 Europeans in NZ. The British colonisation was done as the result of the annexation of New Zealand, the actions of certain individual figures (such as Wakefield) and promotion of settlement in Britain. This stuff could be easily diverted, or prevented altogether. Especially if Aotearoa is under the legal authority of a confederal indigenous nation.

There will of course be a European presence, and Europeans will probably be disproportionately wealthy/powerful in it, but it is surprisingly easy to avoid European settlement en masse.

I would be interested. That said, as it may be a bit of precise knowledge, maybe it would ask for some infodump on the start about Maori society, but it could be really interesting on social and regional narratives.