Henry VIII's 1536 jousting accident fatal, Anne miscarries in shock at the news

cex

Banned
24th January 1536: Henry's neck is broken/chest is crushed by his falling forse during his jousting accident.

25th January 1536: After lingering on for another day, Anne receives the news that he has died and in shock, miscarries their son. Upon hearing that the King is dead with no male heir, Suffolk and Mary's partisans who had been gathering nearby since the King's accident storm Hunsford and jailbreak Mary, no doubt aided by a peasant mob lynching a Boleyn-Howard convoy, having been convinced by Suffolk that the Great Concubine is about to kill the beloved late Queen's daughter...

Last edited:
How would Henry VIII have been remembered had he died in January 1536 instead of January 1547?

Unfortunately, probably still somewhat fondly. Anne and Cromwell would get the blame for all of his actions post Great Matter.

cex

Banned
Unfortunately, probably still somewhat fondly. Anne and Cromwell would get the blame for all of his actions post Great Matter.
Once Catholicism has been restored to the British Isles under James and Mary, how would Henry's brief Anglican interlude of the 1530s and futile search for a son be remembered?
That, and also Mary would need to ensure her father is remembered fondly, as she gets her legitimacy from him
In January 1536, how easy would Mary's job of turning the clock back on the Church of England be?

Once Catholicism has been restored to the British Isles under James and Mary, how would Henry's brief Anglican interlude of the 1530s and futile search for a son be remembered?

The king's mistress leading him astray and driving him into schism?

I don't think Mary would execute Anne - she might execute Thomas and George Boleyn though, if they try to rebel in Elizabeth's name. Anne, I think, would be smart enough to try and get on Mary's good side but Mary is almost certainly going to keep her under house arrest and strict surveillance. Personally I could see her forcing at least Elizabeth into a convent, possibly Anne as well if the situation seems suitable for it.

Personally I could see her forcing at least Elizabeth into a convent, possibly Anne as well if the situation seems suitable for it.

I think worse and better. Mary was always a good sister. She would separate Elizabeth from Anne, show her sister affection and control her tutors in the hopes of raising Elizabeth as a good Catholic girl with deep affection for her sister the Queen and her nieces and nephews and convinced of her own bastardry.

The convent can always be a back up plan.

In January 1536, how easy would Mary's job of turning the clock back on the Church of England be?
Very easy, the liturgical reforms which embedded Protestant beliefs in the country at large haven't happened yet, and Anne's very unpopular with the general public for (as they see it) leading Henry to abandon his true wife.

A thought occurs -- Catherine's only been dead a few weeks, so perhaps people would view Henry's death and Anne's miscarriage as divine punishment for their infidelity and heresy?

I think worse and better. Mary was always a good sister. She would separate Elizabeth from Anne, show her sister affection and control her tutors in the hopes of raising Elizabeth as a good Catholic girl with deep affection for her sister the Queen and her nieces and nephews and convinced of her own bastardry.

The convent can always be a back up plan.
Well it's not that I think mary would have a bad relationship or no relationship with elizabeth if she want to a convent...she would visit frequently and stay updated on elizabeth's development and probably even invite her to court (could nuns come to court? i imagine so) once she was older. But i also think that mary wouldn't want to take any chances on her half sister leaving behind descendants who could potentially cause problems for mary and/or her descendants.

cex

Banned
Probably James V of Scotland or Louis of Portugal, Duke of Beja (brother of John III of Portugal and brother-in-law and cousin of Charles V).
There's also Reginald Pole and Sigismund Augustus, IIRC.
Very easy, the liturgical reforms which embedded Protestant beliefs in the country at large haven't happened yet, and Anne's very unpopular with the general public for (as they see it) leading Henry to abandon his true wife.

A thought occurs -- Catherine's only been dead a few weeks, so perhaps people would view Henry's death and Anne's miscarriage as divine punishment for their infidelity and heresy?
What would the long-term social and political ramifications of a Catholic British Isles under James and Mary be?

Yet both Henry and Elizabeth considered marrying either them or close family - even if they have sisters as wives, that doesn't mean they have to get along
England can have an alliance with Sweden or Denmark, but they must pick one or the other because if the English are friendly with the danes then the swedes will view them as enemies and vice versa
There's also Reginald Pole and Sigismund Augustus, IIRC.
neither are very realistic imho, and sigismund augustus was never ever considered for mary