How could the Europeans pull off settling Southern Africa?

What I've thought out is having a weak France (so France wouldn't interfere) and the HRE still is an entity. Basically to prevent war and to have a colony the hre has the Netherlands to control Angola and the area around Cape town. A series of competent, dynamic and ambitious emperors then send surplus people (ittl protestents in more Catholic areas) to these colonies. These people learn how to live in Africa and create the basis in which massive expansion occurs in the 19th century.

I think the best way to weaken France is for England to not fight France. Just have the Scandinavians/natives rule England and call it a day.

What do you people think of this scenario? I'd think some people will think the settling of Southern Africa with Europeans is implausible but history is often quite insane. I'd think no one before 1500 would have thought that Spain would acquire it's American colonies. The problem with colonising Africa is often the natives offered much more resistance than the natives, the land was not good and the diseases were often brutal to Europeans. I'd think the colonists at first would face native raids and would have toughened themselves during the process. I also think having Angola/South Africa being a penal colony as much as a place for refilling would make sense and weight necessitate the people farming there. I think the diseases will not be solved, but I think an influx of people during the 19th century and advancing technology in treating diseases will cause rapid expansion and displacement of native African people groups.

Ittl South Africa would at least be quite racist and would put native Africans in concentration camps and such during the late 19th century.

AFAIK the Spanish were not interested in settling much. They were in possession of US Southwest for centuries and never settled it with more than a token population.

The best way is for the Dutch to send more settlers or for the English to establish a colony ca 1500-1550

AFAIK the Spanish were not interested in settling much. They were in possession of US Southwest for centuries and never settled it with more than a token population.

The best way is for the Dutch to send more settlers or for the English to establish a colony ca 1500-1550
I know this is a cliche at this point, but a Portuguese Cape Colony established in the 1500s would've likely led to tens of millions of Europeans or culturally-European mixed race people living in Southern Africa today, assuming the Portuguese settle even a small portion of the over half a million Portuguese emigrants from 1500-1800 there.
As for the English, I might do a No Plymouth Colony TL after my current one is done (either that or a Kalmar Union TL), and I've thought of having a Puritan-settled English Cape Colony in it.

I know this is a cliche at this point, but a Portuguese Cape Colony established in the 1500s would've likely led to tens of millions of Europeans or culturally-European mixed race people living in Southern Africa today, assuming the Portuguese settle even a small portion of the over half a million Portuguese emigrants from 1500-1800 there.
As for the English, I might do a No Plymouth Colony TL after my current one is done (either that or a Kalmar Union TL), and I've thought of having a Puritan-settled English Cape Colony in it.
That makes sense, except Angola and the Cape both have some salubrious climates for European settlement, and the Portuguese didn't much bother with a concerted settlement effort in Angola until the 20th century - which they'd had for centuries by that point. The issue with Portugal could be Brazil. I don't think they can produce the same effects in Africa while they're focusing on Brazil.

As you point out, you need a colonial power with sufficient surplus population that can't be siphoned off by other settler outlets and simultaneous projects.

That makes sense, except Angola and the Cape both have some salubrious climates for European settlement, and the Portuguese didn't much bother with a concerted settlement effort in Angola until the 20th century - which they'd had for centuries by that point. The issue with Portugal could be Brazil. I don't think they can produce the same effects in Africa while they're focusing on Brazil.

As you point out, you need a colonial power with sufficient surplus population that can't be siphoned off by other settler outlets and simultaneous projects.
I was thinking the Netherlands with a weak France and it being the emperors of the hre could funnel the surplus German populations to Angola/Cape town region (as said in the first post) would do that very well.

Having a bunch of Germans in Africa would change a lot. The settling of America would be very different though, which would be interesting.

PS: the Luxembourgs may still be the emperors of the hre ittl which is funny as hell. They could be like the dukes of the Netherlands.

Last edited: