If published AH books had first been posted here on AH.com

Let's have some fun. Imagine that some of the most popular and well-known published alternate history stories, from Turtledove, Stirling, or anyone else, had first made their debut here on AlternateHistory.com (ignoring the obvious snafu that this site wouldn't even exist if said authors hadn't been published; we're using our imagination here!). Most of us on this site appreciate the good stories given to us in published AH, but at the same time, it's certainly true that this site tends to judge stories and timelines by a different standard than most publishers.

Therefore, if most of the stories we know from published AH had not originally been published, but had been anonomously posted on this website, in their original form with the same plots and changes, how would the good people of AH.com have reacted to them? Which ones would have won the coveted Turtledove awards, which ones would have been ripped to shreds as ASB, and which ones would've resulted in the authors getting a one-way ticket to Ban City?

I first thought of this idea when I imagined what it would've been like if S.M. Stirling had first posted his stories on this site. Could you imagine how The Domination would've been received originally posted on this site? It'd probably go down as one of the most controversial TLs in its history; some people would like it as an amazing dystopia, but this would be matched by some people expressing suspicion that Stirling secretly supports the idea behind the Draka society and accusing him of being a closted "glory to the Anglo-Saxon race!" white supremacist slavery apologist. In turn, ATL AH.com poster Stirling would get all defensive and cause a heated flame war at being accused over such a thing, get kicked at the very least after insulting other users during said war, and, if things get too far, possibly banned.

If he gets far enough to post the Peshawar Lancers, that'd raise the red flags even more, with people wondering if he were some hardcore British Empire imperialist who wanted to whitewash colonialism, while expressing serious doubts over the Russians being made into "blood for the blood god" Satanic cannibals.

And don't even get me started on Robert Conroy. He strikes me as that kind of poster who starts TLs on ideas that many people will initially get intrigued about and subscribe to immediately ("Finally, a good Trent War TL!" "Been waiting to see an Operation Downfall TL done right."), will watch with interest in the first parts of the TL...and quickly get dissapointed when situations that everyone knows should be surefire military disasters for the United States (British entry into the ACW over Trent; Operation Olympic being initiated; a more effective Pearl Harbor attack; etc.) somehow magically end in a deus ex machina/sheer dumb luck turn of events and an "America, FUCK YEAH!" ending where everything works out great for the U.S.

With "Fatherland" comments revolve around "Germans couldn't pull such victories" and pointing out why. Some might say OTL Berlin was well done and obviously researched.

ATL stories that would be read by the general public, or anyone, and sell are not posted here - frankly, a lot of the stuff just wouldn't get published. This site is a niche in a niche market. No matter how much we gripe about it there are better spinner of stories and tellers of tales than frequent this site. There are a lot that would throw a terrific storyline under the wheels of 'realism', when all we do is deal with fiction and refuse to admit it.

I think the bulk of us fall into some category between amateur writer and armchair academic.

Deleted member 6086

With "Fatherland" comments revolve around "Germans couldn't pull such victories" and pointing out why. Some might say OTL Berlin was well done and obviously researched.

Great book, damn plausibility.

Ugo Bellagamba

-"Republican Apopist" and "Alexander Strategy" would have certainly be put from the beggining in ASB as it involes aliens inspiring Napoleon to proclaim himself Pharaoh and conquering a good bunch of the world.

Still hailed in this category.

-"Tancred" would have been put in Pre-1900 as well researched POD, and an original one being around one character and not a country.
Probably a Turtledove there.

Johan Heliot

"La Lune seule le sait". Again an ASB, with an emperor and aliens.
Probably that the biological-punk as an alternative to steampunk would have made it liked, but too focused on character (Jules Verne) to be an actual TL.

Jacques Boireau

"Saracenic Chronicles" and "Children of Ibn Kaldhun". A Turtledove possible there, for an amazing TL about Arabs conquering southern Gaul and provoking the appearance of a different occitan culture.

Deleted member 6086

Well, I always said that Fatherland's PODs are not ASB, just very unlikely. However as focus is on 1960s Germany one can overlook that.

I loved Xavier's quip that his son's dog was the only thing in Berlin without a uniform.

Stirling would get banned over the Drakaverse I think. He was here a while ago actually and got banned for advocating genocide of Muslims.

I loved Xavier's quip that his son's dog was the only thing in Berlin without a uniform.

Actually it was "in the house". But my overall best quote was "We're not all made to be heroes, Zavi. There have to be people like me, so people like you can look so clever." Used that quote from time to time.

And don't even get me started on Robert Conroy. He strikes me as that kind of poster who starts TLs on ideas that many people will initially get intrigued about and subscribe to immediately ("Finally, a good Trent War TL!" "Been waiting to see an Operation Downfall TL done right."), will watch with interest in the first parts of the TL...and quickly get dissapointed when situations that everyone knows should be surefire military disasters for the United States (British entry into the ACW over Trent; Operation Olympic being initiated; a more effective Pearl Harbor attack; etc.) somehow magically end in a deus ex machina/sheer dumb luck turn of events and an "America, FUCK YEAH!" ending where everything works out great for the U.S.
I absolutely hate this ridiculous standard on AH.com. If the Brits are involved, they win. :rolleyes:

Assuming that the British would have devoted their entire armed force to the conflict. Which they never would have done.
I say that with the USA fighting a two-front war, a huge blockade (IOTL the American blockade of the CSA was pretty rocky and thin, with the Royal Navy and French Navy against them, their navy would've been obliterated), large-ish numbers of forces on multiple fronts from both the French and British (say the west in southern California, Maine, Great Lakes, Eastern Seaboard e.g. DC, Minnesota), support of Native American rebels and no invasion of the Mississippi - the Confederacy is going to win the Civil War.

Stonewall

Banned
I think the board would approve of Britannia's Fist, it's a pretty solid UK-in-the-ACW story with a different POD than Trent. Worldwar would probably be one of the more popular ASBs.