Iran reverting to Zoroastrianism

With the Islamic conquests of crumbling Sassanid Iran in the mid 7th century, every other religion present in Iran, including the erstwhile state and most widespread religion of Zoroastrianism, all entered a terminal decline, more or less (Nestorianism made gains for a short while, but eventually followed the trend), with mass conversions or exodus being the norm.

Was there any point in time where it was possible for Zoroastrianism to make a comeback, where it at least reached a plurality of adherents in Iran?

By Iran, I mean the Iranian plateau itself, alongside modern day Azerbaijan, Southern Turkmenistan and Khuzestan. Core Iran, as I see it.

Last edited:
With the Islamic conquests of crumbling Sassanid Iran in the mid 7th century, every other religion present in Iran, including the erstwhile state and most widespread religion of Zoroastrianism, all entered a terminal decline, more or less (Nestorianism made gains for a short while, but eventually followed the trend).

Was there any point in time where it was possible for Zoroastrianism to make a comeback, where it at least reached a plurality of adherents in Iran?

By Iran, I mean the Iranian plateau itself, alongside modern day Azerbaijan, Southern Turkmenistan and Khuzestan. Core Iran, as I see it.

The best time to to something like that is as early after the Islamic conquests as possible. After the 11th century, it might just be too late.

The best time to to something like that is as early after the Islamic conquests as possible. After the 11th century, it might just be too late.
Would by any chance, after the 11th century, the people at large become disillusioned with Islam and seek alternatives? What can be such a trigger, if possible?

Also by the 11th century, Zoroastrian proportion had become precipitously low. How can there be a turns around in such a case?

Would by any chance, after the 11th century, the people at large become disillusioned with Islam and seek alternatives? What can be such a trigger, if possible?

Also by the 11th century, Zoroastrian proportion had become precipitously low. How can there be a turns around in such a case?
The only thing I can think of is "the Mongols" - the Il-khanate for some reason decides to adopt Zoroastrianism rather than Islam. IDK why they would do that, though

Before then, maybe the Abbasids crash and burn early?

With the Islamic conquests of crumbling Sassanid Iran in the mid 7th century, every other religion present in Iran, including the erstwhile state and most widespread religion of Zoroastrianism, all entered a terminal decline, more or less (Nestorianism made gains for a short while, but eventually followed the trend), with mass conversions or exodus being the norm.

Nope, once the za become linked to Iranian royalty,that marked his fate

Uh, maybe if a crusade like, burns down mecca and Medina? Bjt that's a whole other question

Uh, maybe if a crusade like, burns down mecca and Medina? Bjt that's a whole other question
Wouldn't the burning just radicalize Islamic adherents? How would that even lead to people abandoning that religion?
If we suppose they do that, wouldn't the people be attracted towards Christianity if anything? And even that would be a Levantine phenomenon more like.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is "the Mongols" - the Il-khanate for some reason decides to adopt Zoroastrianism rather than Islam. IDK why they would do that, though

Before then, maybe the Abbasids crash and burn early?
Okay. But the Mongols were fairly tolerant of other religions as well, I find it unlikely that they would become so zealous as to alter the religious fabric of the areas they rule.

Even if the Abbasids collapse earlier (what year would you suggest?), it wouldn't necessarily cause the people to change their faith (for those who have converted), and after all the administrative and military power would still be in the hands of Islamic potentates. And those won't be easy to overthrow.

Okay. But the Mongols were fairly tolerant of other religions as well, I find it unlikely that they would become so zealous as to alter the religious fabric of the areas they rule.
Depends on the Khan probably, I know a lot of Catholic Christians were crossing their fingers at the idea of Hulegu converting to Christianity and liberating Jerusalem for the true faith, but that never happened for obvious reasons.

More likely that Iranic polytheism become prominent. Zoroastrianism was the state ideology of the Sassanid royal family. It isn’t actually the ideology of most regular people. Mazdakism and polytheism are more likely; Mazdaki ideas persisted in Iran after the Islamic conquests in the form of the Khurramiyya and other Shi’a sects. Zoroastrianism did not.

Unless the Sassanids and their pre-Islam worldviews suddenly revive themselves, which is very unlikely, there isn’t a big chance that Iran would become Zoroastrian even if some former Sassanid noble managed to take back Iran.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the burning just radicalize Islamic adherents? How would that even lead to people abandoning that religion?
If we suppose they do that, wouldn't the people be attracted towards Christianity if anything? And even that would be a Levantine phenomenon more like.
My thinking was that destroying the center of the Islamic world would damage the credibility, so to speak, but you have a point.

After 1900, some time after the 2020s, have Iran's mostly atheist population support a nationalist military coup at the expense of Shia institutions and persecution against other religions.

Two points, I think. One is to have a Khurramite revolution than an Abbasid revolution replace the Umayyads. The Umayyads refused to convert the population to Islam because Islam, existing as a religious community like christianity but unlike Christinianty also being the political system meant, converts essentially became elite and even with Islam's association with Arabs and Arab tribalism acting as a barrier, it could only do so much. The Abbasids then essentially converted to their cause the early Khurramites (essentially, Zoroastrians influenced by Christianity and then even more strongly, influenced by Islam), with a want to rise to power, in doing that they became Muslim even if not completely believing in the ideas of religion, think of it like how forced converts have the external identity but not the beliefs, except here they may also have the internal identity.

If some Zoroastrian could have rallied this population instead, they could have done something as impressive and it isn't even out of the question as after the Abbasids assassinated Abu Muslim, alot of Zoroastrians and Khurramites revolted. These were regional, some essentially just brigdents, a side effect of being largely none elite so not having that wider vision. If say, the Zoroastrian rulers in Tabaristan that would do pretty well later on during the Abbasid collapse could ride on this, maybe they could have done something.

Last edited:
Probably won't do much. Some Shi'a sacked mecca and the stole and destroyed the black stone(stitched back together with silver now) didn't do much. Shi'a didn't even become more popular, they just got further labelling as evil heretics.

But there was some superstition among heretical rebels in the Zagaros and Azerbaijan that a daughter of Abu Muslim, their Casius Belli was in Eastern Rome and that the end of the world(or something, think something like JC's second coming) would come when a descendant of her's returns with an army. I could imagine if Eastern Rome had its renaissance and military reforms somehow happen earlier (maybe Leo's softer Iconoclast dynasty remains in power by gaining more victories) and they're able to make grand campaigns into the Caliphate sometime when this superstition was peak, they may gain some unexpected but devoted allies by playing into it.

Last edited:
More likely that Iranic polytheism become prominent. Zoroastrianism was the state ideology of the Sassanid royal family. It isn’t actually the ideology of most regular people. Mazdakism and polytheism are more likely; Mazdaki ideas persisted in Iran after the Islamic conquests in the form of the Khurramiyya and other Shi’a sects. Zoroastrianism did not.

Unless the Sassanids and their pre-Islam worldviews suddenly revive themselves, which is very unlikely, there isn’t a big chance that Iran would become Zoroastrian even if some former Sassanid noble managed to take back Iran.
Sassanid Official Zoroastrianism differed from what was in the provinces but by the time of the Sassanids and after, Zoroastrianism was the main religion by far(taking this form Nativist prophets of Iran book). Ahura Mazda was the Top God and Zarathustra his prophet. Mazdakism as a sect in itself was also dead but... Mazdakism was an expression of one of those regional varieties so, a religion with echos of it, like some of the various Khuramiya sects or maybe even a Neo-Mazdakism could emerge.

Some very interesting points.

Yes Abbasids were primarily Persian backed, with the bureaucratic elements of the nascent Caliphate, mostly Zoroastrian converts grasping at power. But would they even abandon a prospective chance of greater power to back their closet co-religionists, just for a prospective restoration of Iranian statehood? Where they might even be branded traitors and result in loss of their own life?

Even if a Mazdayan noble might bind these brigands into a cohesive force, he can't do so for long without the support of these administrative classes which in want of more power have abandoned their erstwhile faith. This might just lead to eventual collapse of any such rebellion, even if it can be drawn out for long.

However, those people might back a restorationist rebellion if certain guarantees are made in regards to power sharing arrangements. Though a wholesale defection might not be possible as the opportunities in the enormous Caliphate were simply too good to pass up. And still, the Bavandids of Tabarestan are still no heavyweights to carve out a hefty chunk of Iran, let alone all of it, they simply lack the resources to do so in the span of one rebellion. Remember that their greatest advantage was the Alborz Mountains' defensive terrain. It will be the work of generations for them, but it might just be possible.