IOTL, despite Hillary's considerable abilities, her life is so tied to Bill that it's basically impossible to chart out a course of what she would do in alternate circumstances. She obviously had political ambitions, but her platform as AG's wife is likely much more limiting than first lady of a state (or the country). I suspect that a run for a congressional seat in Illinois is the most logical starting point.

As for Bill Clinton, other people have said it before, but I really think he deserves strong consideration as a future president. I've said it before, but I truly believe that he's the single most talented politician since FDR (you could knock him on legislation, but a lot of his failures in the first two years+after 1994 were down to bad luck and trends not breaking his way; every other category, he clears). He just has such a breathtaking combination of intelligence, charisma, self-reflection, and flexibility, whether you like him or not (I'm meh on him). You'd basically have to have events conspire against him to strangle his ambitions in the crib or have a mega-scandal (bigger than Paula Jones, Whitewater, Lewinsky... so pretty goddamn big) knock him off, because if he can begin from a remotely competitive position, he's going to charm his way to the top no matter what.

Last edited:

Deleted member 145219

The rust belt is unavoidable, damage done (much as happened in most industrial countries) because plant wasn't renewed early enough and now they have overseas competition they can't compete with. The Unions might end up stronger but that's mostly if they manage to clean their own houses. Certainly the "relationship" with the Mob needs to be dealt with (especially if the Five families decline as they did OTL) and the Pocket liners have to go in favour of people who actually care about the membership.
Maybe in Jimmy Two, companies could be incentivized to modernize plants that can be modernized, as well as build new plants. Without someone as hawkish as Volcker at the Fed, maybe the worst the High interest rates and the 1982 Recession can be avoided.

Maybe, for example, US Steel could build their proposed greenfield plant east of Conneaut Ohio?
IOTL, despite Hillary's considerable abilities, her life is so tied to Bill that it's basically impossible to chart out a course of what she would do in alternate circumstances. She obviously had political ambitions, but her platform as AG's wife is likely much more limiting than first lady of a state (or the country). I suspect that a run for a congressional seat in Illinois is the most logical starting point.

As for Bill Clinton, other people have said it before, but I really think he deserves strong consideration as a future president. I've said it before, but I truly believe that he's the single most talented politician since FDR (you could knock him on legislation, but a lot of his failures in the first two years+after 1994 were down to bad luck and trends not breaking his way; every other category, he clears). He just has such a breathtaking combination of intelligence, charisma, self-reflection, and flexibility, whether you like him or not (I'm meh on him). You'd basically have to have events conspire against him to strangle his ambitions in the crib or have a mega-scandal (bigger than Paula Jones, Whitewater, Lewinsky... so pretty goddamn big) knock him off, because if he can begin from a remotely competitive position, he's going to charm his way to the top no matter what.
I think he's a strong prospect to become President in Jimmy Two. And you are right. He was an incredibly talented politician and campaign strategist. Unfortunately, his personal baggage, and outsider status, really held back his Presidency.

The rust belt is unavoidable, damage done (much as happened in most industrial countries) because plant wasn't renewed early enough and now they have overseas competition they can't compete with.
While certainly some damage is already done, the absence of the Reagan tax cuts is going to make a major macroeconomic difference. Interest rates should be lower (especially once the Volker disinflation is done) which should make the value of the dollar cheaper, making American manufacturers much more able to compete with foreign ones.

To quote from Brad Delong's masterful Slouching Towards Utopia: An Economic History of the Twentieth Century:
For more than half of the 1980s the US dollar was substantially overvalued as the US budget deficit sucked in capital from outside and raised the exchange rate. When a domestic industry’s costs are greater than the prices at which foreign firms can sell, the market is sending the domestic industry a signal that it should shrink: foreigners are producing with more relative efficiency, and the resources used in the domestic industry would be put to better use in some other sector, where domestic producers have more of a comparative advantage. This was the signal that the market system sent to all US manufacturing industries in the 1980s: that they should cut back on investment and shrink. In this case, it was a false signal—sent not by the market’s interpretation of the logic of comparative advantage but by the extraordinary short-run demand of cash to borrow from the US government. But firms responded nevertheless. The US sectors producing tradable goods shrank. And some of the ground lost would never be recovered. The Reagan tax cuts hammered manufacturing in the Midwest, starting the creation of what is now known as the “Rust Belt.”

Deleted member 145219

Regarding Bill Clinton, I'm hoping that Carter can become a positive role model for Clinton and help mold him into a better person than he was in OTL. Maybe even becoming a father figure. I do think a lot of Bill Clinton's personality flaws came from his bad home situation.

Regarding Bill Clinton, I'm hoping that Carter can become a positive role model for Clinton and help mold him into a better person than he was in OTL. Maybe even becoming a father figure. I do think a lot of Bill Clinton's personality flaws came from his bad home situation.
I mean Bill Clinton is already 35 a little too late for that sorta thing

UPJsEG5.png

Happy 99th Birthday, President Carter
~ October 1st ~

It didn't look like we'd get to this milestone. Seven months ago, President Carter entered hospice care, and I began to reflect on his legacy and what it might mean for our story. I was so sad that day, assuming that we were just days or even hours away from losing the most decent man to lead our country. I started typing out my thoughts for that day, but then... time kept going. Jimmy, like always, defied the odds.

It has been so heartwarming to see the outpouring of love for President Carter over the last few weeks as the Carter Center has prepared for this big day. So, let's add this timeline's author and readership to the chorus of those declaring Happy Birthday President Carter! Our world has been blessed to have him as a leader for all that is good, and we have been lucky as a nation to enjoy these extra months with him.

Best wishes to our longest-living president!

As for this story, it will continue soon as the great White Whale of Democratic politics continues to elude Jimmy, Teddy, and Tip...

Happy birthday Jimmy Carter. You have shown so much kindness in your many, many achievements since leaving office. Rather than sit on a corporate board, Carter has continually attempted to make the world a better place, bit by bit. Enjoy this celebration with your wife and the rest of your family 😄😀🙌

UPJsEG5.png

Happy 99th Birthday, President Carter
~ October 1st ~

It didn't look like we'd get to this milestone. Seven months ago, President Carter entered hospice care, and I began to reflect on his legacy and what it might mean for our story. I was so sad that day, assuming that we were just days or even hours away from losing the most decent man to lead our country. I started typing out my thoughts for that day, but then... time kept going. Jimmy, like always, defied the odds.

It has been so heartwarming to see the outpouring of love for President Carter over the last few weeks as the Carter Center has prepared for this big day. So, let's add this timeline's author and readership to the chorus of those declaring Happy Birthday President Carter! Our world has been blessed to have him as a leader for all that is good, and we have been lucky as a nation to enjoy these extra months with him.

Best wishes to our longest-living president!

As for this story, it will continue soon as the great White Whale of Democratic politics continues to elude Jimmy, Teddy, and Tip...
Happy Birthday, Jimmy!