Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

How would you define a civilization?
I society that can reliablely self perpetuate it's traditions and values with minimal drift over very long periods of time. Even when faced with large societal stressors.

Is not meant to be an all encompassing strict definition, but a loose category divider just to make things manageable.

Last edited:
AHC: a superpower Mexico
Spain is in a union with France after they win the War of Spanish Succession, and the French reforms the Spanish colonial system.

Maybe if the Spanish monarchs in the 15th-18th century had given the nobles and merchants a nice slice of power, then maybe parliament would have more say in how Spain's colonies would be designed. Perhaps with merchant influence, the Spanish would model their colonies to generate commerce and industry rather than export gold to the Spanish homeland. Take this answer with a grain of salt since I haven't learned much of Spain's colonization of the Americas.

In fact, the establishment of industry and commerce and universities in Spanish America was done. The problem was that it was conceived as a monopoly with absurd policies like if you wanted to move something from Havana to Cartagena you had to send it first to Cádiz. But of course there was rather more development than "simply exporting gold to the European homeland."

VVD0D95

Banned
Does anyone know what were Edward I's French holdings? If you have a map, that'd be perfect.
Gascony.
IMG_6067.png

I've been wondering, what is the most recent, realistic change you can make that allows Japan to create an maintain a colony anywhere in Africa?
Either a very early POD (Sengoku era maybe, no sakoku policy) or some POD where Ethiopia isn't just turning to Russia, but Japan too for modernization. This was desired by some factions in Ethiopia. Anti-imperialism was ostensibly a cornerstone of Japan's foreign policy, and in Africa they'd want to set themselves apart from European nations so they probably wouldn't annex Ethiopia, they would definitely want to carve off a port within modern Eritrea and would want Ethiopia as a defacto colony. So I could definitely see a Djibouti-esque colony for Japan in this scenario.

got an idea for a timeline based on a CK3 run

Fjölheimr: A Viking Bohemia Timeline

essentially, Vikings invade and conquer Bohemia in the late ninth century, renaming the region Fjölheimr (meaning Mountain Home in Norse) and over the centuries the kingdom is Germanized and by the 1500s Fjollhammer actually becomes the central province of Germany with Árvatn (Prague) being the capital of the HRE.

Does anyone happen to know or have a recommendation for a good Byzantine Timeline to read? Particularly one that stretches into the 1800's and beyond if possible

Does anyone happen to know or have a recommendation for a good Byzantine Timeline to read? Particularly one that stretches into the 1800's and beyond if possible
Isaac's Empire sounds like what you're looking for, I forget the authors username however so you'll have to find it yourself its been a long time since I read it.