Nation On A Hill: A Timeline by Xanthoc

Prologue
"Allow me to tell you all a tale. I'm sure it's one we all know; but in times such as these, old tales have a way of being relevant. Isn't that what the good book is, after all? Old tales to help us through rough times?

"Now let me take you back. Back a long, long, long time ago. When our ancestors first crossed the mighty ocean to this, our Promised Land, though we may speak of times of plenty, when the Lord showed mercy and favor, that was not always the case, nor was it consistent. But let us look to Proverbs: 'If you falter in times of trouble, how little is your strength!' It was this that kept them going as it will us.

a53ba2a2ea30916be5315ccb91f00f1b.jpg

"But even when it was hard, God was with our ancestors. When the crops failed, He was with them, blessing them on their hunts. When the cattle died, He was with them, speeding on the next ship with strong winds, bringing new colonists and supplies! When the weather wore upon them, He was with them, guiding the storms to pass after they brought waters of life to those once fallow fields! And when the savage heathens brought down war to the land? When they killed sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives?

a69d2c799302430a32839a4c4469405d.jpg

"That's right! He was with them, just as He is with us now! It was He who wept for our soldiers, He who could only stay His hand for so long. After all, each and every man is God's child, and He wept as those who had come from a land of tyranny and degeneracy were slaughtered by those who, when offered His hand, swatted it away and proved themselves prodigal sons. And so, though our Lord seeks not to harm when He can, who lets the great mechanisms of our globe operate freely, in the beautiful design He created, He reached out His arm and smited them!"

native-americans-disease-granger.jpg

"He smited the heathens! Not with miraculous fire or magical lightning, no. We who have come to understand God by understanding the world know that He works through the means He created. And it was He who brought the plagues down on those heathens! His hand brought the minivites that ravaged their bodies; and yes, while some of our own grew sick, God in His wisdom knew that our ancestors' bodies would be able to fight off the infection, while the heathens were culled.

"And now God does the same. But the means of God are now us, our soldiers, our weapons! His Wrath, unlocked and in our control! We do His work, to save ourselves and our people from heathen enemies! And just as God had the Israelites slaughter the Canaanites, though they were defeated, just as God had our ancestors slaughter the natives, though they were defeated, we will do the same! When our foes have been fought back to the gates of their cities, we will march on, claiming not only righteous justice for the crimes they have committed, but we will do as needed by God to ensure that our enemies will never be able to fight us again!

angry-god.jpg

"And as this happens they will look upon us! They will look upon our shadow and feel terror, just as those innocent souls in our great cities felt terror! And our allies will look upon us as well, and will see our strength, our resolve, and our faith! And when this war is done and over, the world, all of Humanity, will look upon us! They will see us! Us! A shiny beacon of piety and knowledge, strength and compassion, passion and temperance! They will look not just upon us, but to us to be the model upon which they will prosper! For they will see how we beat back our enemy, how we healed our wounds, how we came out stronger than ever before, as God intended of us! They will see just how far that city established all those many years ago has grown. They will see us! They will see our glorious nation on a hill!"

aRKqp8U.jpg

Last edited:
Part #1: Turn and Cough

"The puritans say that God saved them from the heathens. What a ridiculous statement. The outbreak of disease amongst the Wapanook[1] peoples and their allies likely came from exposure during a raid. Dispersal likely came from the return of one such raiding party back to a village afterwards. No God needed. But then that's what they say isn't it? No God is just more God for them. Imbeciles."

- Thomas Alexander Wright, 1887 letter to his wife
--|--​

"The dawn of 1676 was a very bleak affair for the colonists. Generally there was a weariness about what we call the First Metacom War. While the previous year had held several victories for New England[2], the reprisals made by the novans[3] had demonstrated that this would not simply be a simple conflict that would see itself mopped up in a small period of time. And though the year would hold much fortune for the colonials, the war itself would not end until early in 1679, albeit the tail of the war being a far less equal affair than the body had been. When one considers that nearly all major townships in New England faced attack, including the near-destruction of both Plymouth Plantation and Hartford, and the razing of Boston, no one can say that the novans did not get their fair share of blood.

Generally, most would mark Reverend Rowlandson's Raid as a crucial turning point, and not merely because the alliterative title has made it easy for children to remember. In February, Lancaster saw a devastating raid, with the Rowlandsons' house being one of the locations where people hid, the house's fortifications being their hopeful shield. In the end, in acted more as a prison, the house catching on fire. Rowlandson and others attempted to make a run for it, but the novans were quick to attack the group.

As captured in the award winning lebild[4], The Reverend, what comes next is a well known story. It is, of course, likely not at all as perfectly befitting a kamapparat[5] as it has been portrayed in the work or in any other that has come before or after it. However, the general events are as presented: Rowlandson awoke, miraculously alive, to find his wife dead in front of him, his children missing. In late April, after weeks of tracking, and more importantly, gathering a collection of fellow widowers (and widows) from the area as raids went to other towns, and more than a few adventure-seekers and wilders[6], his raid commenced..."

- The Good Ol' Days: A History of the Colonial Americas, David Dreyfus (1964)
"Now, I'm not a religious man, and I doubt many of you are either. But when you look at the facts, you almost can't dismiss what we see when we look at the First Metacom War; smallpox, influenza, and buck fever[7] all flaring up, with concentration moving into the novan population, creating a proper epidemic, even as the colonial population only saw a few major cases. When you see the numbers, you can't help but almost think: divine intervention.

"Of course, we can't know entirely the veracity of all accounts. With the raids occurring, getting more desperate as supplies were needed and a foolish belief that the White Man might hold a cure, towns vanished nearly over night, but quite a few of these towns likely could have been victims of disease, and really we can't know. There are reports of more than a few raptured towns[8] but the prevailing theory is just that the townsfolk fled upon hearing of a novan raid inbound. But then we could say that some towns killed by disease may have been ransacked by Metacom's men after the fact. And how would we know?

"Regardless, this outbreak, given in the Wapanook language a long and difficult name I won't make you memorize, that we would translate as 'The Betrayal of the Spirits'--do memorize that term, it will be on the final assessment--changed everything. Metacom's forces became broken bands of robbers, the chain of command falling apart. As leadership died, infighting amongst tribes began, young hotheads demanding they should take the place because they were the strongest, and everyone else claiming similarly, as the elderly dying in droves removed much of any hope for simple succession based on their council. Let that be a warning to you all; don't get rid of us old people. You need us to keep you from tantruming each other to death.

"Where was I? Right, changing everything. There was also a large amount of general panic; some thought if both the old and the young were dying, it could be a sort of end of days for the tribe. Some left, joining the Hohdeno Confederation further west or hiding in the northern frontier, and some, as new findings have shown, went as far as the Lower Pneuma River. That's the Rio Espirito or Spirit River[9] for those of you who didn't grow up here. The name change, of course, along with ones like it, is something that's going to come up far later, in Sequence II of this course, which I know all but three of you are going to be doing. To those three I say...enjoy your crits[10] and good luck in whatever inferior Focus you've chosen for your collegiate career. I jest, I jest. Okay enough tangents. Now, what happened to those that didn't leave? Well, a lot of them died. Those that didn't, got a fate that some might say was worse..."

- Prof. Jefferson Reiman, HIST 2028 - "Early American History", University of New Rubicon
"In recognizing that the colonies of Connecticut, Plymouth, and Massachusetts Bay have faced damages that, while not ending their ability to remain in existence, endanger them, and given, as well, the cooperation of the colonies in their mutual defense against native incursions, which have generated mutual hardship that would naturally require further cooperation to mend, alongside that the ability of said colonies to act in a beneficial capacity for the Crown is now hindered, it is similarly recognized that necessity, both from the aforementioned causes and that generated by the possibility of new enemies arising from amongst the native tribes, dictates that the governments of said colonies integrate. Thus, it is requested by those governments to, with the consent of His Majesty, formally transform themselves into the United Colonies of New England, transferring political power to the preexisting body of the name that has functioned as a method of military cooperation..."

- A Plea of Necessity, 1679, sent by the surviving colonial governments to King Charles II, considered a founding document of New England
--|--
[1] TTL anglicization for the Wampanoag, based off of early names given to them.

[2] The author is, of course, using this term apocryphally, as the term New England, while in use, and would become in use for the United Colonies, was still not a term that the settlers would associate with at the time.

[3] "Novan" is the politically correct and popular term for natives of the Americas, deriving from the "New" (Nova) in New World, as they are inhabitants purely from that part of the world, as opposed to settlers. The term, of course, predates knowledge of human African origin and ice-bridge migration theories TTL.

[4] Film/movie. Derived from the words [REDACTED]

[5] Camera. Like lebild, derived from [REDACTED]

[6] Frontiersman, with a similar cultural connotation as OTL cowboy, used in an ahistorical manner for modern readers, the true figures being more likely to be social outcasts living outside of towns.

[7] Lyme disease.

[8] We would say "ghost town".

[9] OTL Mississippi River. Spanish Explorers named the river Rio Espirito Sancto before the French ever arrived in the area in OTL. TTL, the name catches as, for reasons that will become clear later.

[10] We would say credits, but in TTL crits is derived from "criterion", as in criteria for graduation, and in TTL the term is used by most Anglophone colleges.

Last edited:
I quite enjoyed the variety of writing styles based upon the type of document and author. I feel it made the "documents" seem more real and historical. Overall, I'm curious to see how the timeline develops. Great start!

I quite enjoyed the variety of writing styles based upon the type of document and author. I feel it made the "documents" seem more real and historical. Overall, I'm curious to see how the timeline develops. Great start!

Why thank you! I tried to get a distinct feel for each part. Although I can't take any credit for the format—which thus far I have used heavily in my Weekly Flag Challenge entries. Said credit goes to @Thande and his work Look to the West although I think I recall him mentioning his style is based off of someone else's.

Thande

Donor
Why thank you! I tried to get a distinct feel for each part. Although I can't take any credit for the format—which thus far I have used heavily in my Weekly Flag Challenge entries. Said credit goes to @Thande and his work Look to the West although I think I recall him mentioning his style is based off of someone else's.
Yes, I originally got it from @Jared 's Decades of Darkness.

"Regardless, this outbreak, given in the Wapanook language a long and difficult name I won't make you memorize, that we would translate as 'The Betrayal of the Spirits'--do memorize that term, it will be on the final assessment--changed everything. Metacom's forces became broken bands of robbers, the chain of command falling apart. As leadership died, infighting amongst tribes began, young hotheads demanding they should take the place because they were the strongest, and everyone else claiming similarly, as the elderly dying in droves removed much of any hope for simple succession based on their council. Let that be a warning to you all; don't get rid of us old people. You need us to keep you from tantruming each other to death.

- Prof. Jefferson Reiman, HIST 2028 - "Early American History", University of New Rubicon
That was classic, subscribed.

Part #2: Don't Want to Set the World on Fire
Part #2: Don't Want to Set the World on Fire

"I do miss you, darling, and not only because I love you; I woefully miss intelligent conversation. In response to your excellent analysis of the Puritans, allow me to make a slight counter: what truly makes them idiotic is that, if God truly has been controlling their history and all events that have occurred in their country, then by looking at the sheer body count, he must hate them!"

- Jacqueline Anne Wright, response letter to her husband​

--|--​

"[A dark forest, a valley just in site past the tree line. By the sun breaking over the horizon, it is only dawn. In a near clearing, Rowlandson's group gathers, some eager, some appearing hesitant]

ROWLANDSON: [Stands upon tree stump] Men! I know you are tired, I know we are here in this uncharted region, I know you want only rest. But just down in that valley, the heathen, his red hands stained redder with the blood of our wives and kin, rests in warmth while our beloveds lie cold. Now I must ask of you, is this right?

GROUP: [In unison] No!

ROWLANDSON: As I thought. Now I was and am a man of God. I have heard talk amongst us that many of you have lost faith; not in Him, of course, but in His goodness and blessings to our venture.

GROUP: [Murmuring]

ROWLANDSON: Gentleman, this is our test. Like Job before us, we suffer now, but God is still smiling upon us. Those red bastards have taken my family and my home. But they will not take my faith; I will cling to it, I will show the good Lord that my conviction is unbreakable, and in doing that I attain his blessing. For all who do not accept Christ into their hearts shall burn in Hell! But I accept Christ! I will never deny him!

WILDER: Neither will I!

GROUP: Yeah!

ROWLANDSON: Good! Hold true to your faith. For we who sin in God's name are forgiven, for we act with purpose, not with wroth or lust or greed or pride. I am not going to do this just because I held my wife's body to my heart. I am not going to do this because I found my children dead, bodies and souls desecrated with heathen rites. I do this because these actions have shown that these men deny God and his compassion and will always do so! And so God will forgive us all, nay, he will thank us! For these savages, barely even human, with their unsalvageable souls? They're going to Hell. It is their destiny, as their actions well prove. We are only quickening the trip!"

GROUP: [Chorus of agreement and righteous fury]

ROWLANDSON: Right then, now it is up to you, men! Onward! Deus Vult!"

- Excerpt, The Reverend (1950)​

"Reverend Rowlandson's Raid was, despite the creative name, a very simple affair, albeit an ultimately dramatic series of events. In the pitch of night, having gathered his forces and having had an advanced party scout out the area a few days in advance, the raid struck. Rowlandson used the region to his advantage, the raiding party crawling along the bushy shores of the gentle stream, their brown leather covered in grass, making this raid one of the earliest documented uses of tactical disguise by any force in modern history.

The men may have not been well-trained, but Rowlandson had been preparing them, filling with fiery rhetoric in the form of Helliads[1] and battlecries as they marched on. In a sense, they were at the least a well-disciplined bunch, as the journal of Prestor Williams, Rowlandson's right-hand, tells us. Williams is perhaps the only true primary source we have the events that unfolded.

As Rowlandson's men snuck past the watchmen of the novan village, a smaller detachment set off guns and lit a small fire some distance, away, drawing off several warriors who would have helped in fending off the raiders. And then, in a well-timed move, the raid truly began, with the colonials rising from the grass and shouting out "Deus Vult!" together, entering several tents and killing most of the men before they could truly awaken and react. The women and children were allowed to flee, Rowlandson looking for justice, not wanton slaughter, but the elders of the village were slain to decapitate leadership for a retaliatory move.

At this point, as Rowlandson had the remainder of the village burned up, the food stores raided to help feed his men for the long journey back to proper civilization, the watchman that had gone to investigate the fire and shots returned. Though beaten back, Rowlandson would fall, reportedly slain with a gun in one hand and a Bible in the other, killing at least three novans—two with the firing of his gun, which he had put rocks in to, and a third he bludgeoned with the handle, even as the man stabbed him.

Williams would lead the party when the fighting ended. Most would go their separate ways, their bloodlust and need for revenge satiated, while others would stay with Williams and perform other, smaller raids against the Metacoman[2] forces. Of course, given that Williams would only record his account several years after the fact, some details may be slightly hyperbolic and/or forgotten."

- Shorthand: Quick Study Summaries, American History Vol. 4​

"Damnitall! I wish I had just listened to Father. Things have gone from tough to bad to worse since I left home. I thought it would all be a grand adventure. I thought I would just go out into the wood with the good Reverend and kill me some Indians and take home some of their trinkets to sell when I got home.

No clue if I will ever see home again, however. What was I thinking? I am a merchant's boy; I could barely hold a sword or a rifle before all of this, and now I can only swinging both around blindly well enough to gut a few of the dumber Indians that are too close to me. And it isn't so much them I worry about...

"...tried to steal my journal! Fat oaf could never read a word if his life demanded it, of course, but it certainly has put me in a poor mood. Reverend says we're a band of brothers now, but half of these men are only in this because they want to kill Indians. Or they are like me and hope to bring back something valuable. The widows and widowers, few as they are, they seem to believe the Reverend when he talks about doing the will of God and all, even if he has stopped buying the words himself, but they are too inside the dark hollows of their own minds to talk or interact with the rest of us...

"Those bastards! Those Goddamn bastards! We just got here, and they stole damn near everything! Most of the guns we've gotten are gone, most of the food, all the liquor, and then left, all while the rest of us were sleeping! I hope the Devil leads those snakes to a cave full of monsters!

"...I wish the Reverend had made it. Sure, his sermons always sounded like he was talking out loud to no one, like he was trying to convince himself that God's around more than us, but everyone knew what to do with him around. You had a job, a place. Now Prestor lets anyone who licks his boot get more rations or a day off, the bastard.

And those rations are already little as is! Indians only had so much in that camp. We probably should've waited for night proper rather than attack at sundown—sure the hunters would have been back, but they would be sleeping, and their meat would be there for our taking. Still, guess things worked out.

Kent and the pricks who stole our supplies happened to get drunk and started shooting off rifles not too far away, and most of the Indians left to go check it out. Reverend wanted us to hit them then, but there was still a decent amount of light out. Jimmy, though, had the idea to cover ourselves in grass while crawling, make us harder to see. Of course, before we could actually get too close to the village, some dolt stood up and made a charge for it, which meant the rest of us had to do the same. Luckily it was just the old folks and women folk left, and we made quick work of them.

"...Only a two days to home, but I have run out of food. This area was thick with natives when I left, so I have been going at a slow crawl these last few days. However, I have yet to even find any signs of them. If they are gone, I think I can make it if I move faster, and through the night. Not that nights have held much rest as of late. I cannot get the image of the Indian woman out of my head. For a moment she looked just like my mother, begging me not to do it. With that and with how quickly that child's rock killed the Reverend, I think I had best start paying more attention in church if I get back..."

- Diary of Joshua Innsbrook, found in a family chest in 2013​

"While Boston is a great city in the modern day, it has actually been refounded twice in its history. The first and original of the three foundings was in 1630 by our ancestors! It was a major settlement in early Massachusetts Bay. Before the settlers had even actually set foot on land, however, John Winthrop, a name I'm sure most of you all know, spoke about the colony's future as a place that the world would look to, telling those who would be future founders that their settlement would be a 'city upon a hill,' or 'city on a hill' as most of us know it, as he was paraphrasing Matthew 5:14, 'You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.'

"If you'll follow me you can see this display shows when the first founded Boston was destroyed in 1676. Our curators have done painstaking research based on numerous accounts of the attack, some of which are even from future converted novans! We believe that this display shows the attack with almost 90% accuracy[3]!

"Now while the common belief is that the attack was a response to the famous Reverend Rowlandson Raid, research has shown that, in actuality, the attack on Boston had been planned for some time. Certainly, the forces of the novans were bolstered by those who had seen the aftermath of, or heard about, the Raid, and were seeking retribution. But, with King Metacom himself fighting down in what was then called Rhode Island, his allies had been wanting a proper northern strike for quite some time, as the diseases ravaging the novans meant that possible reinforcements for their leader shrunk each day. Their hope was that the attack would draw New English[4] militia northward, relieving Metacom.

"The natives actually struck in the day, in vast numbers and without warning. While they did loot several buildings, they came with torches and pitch at the ready, setting fire to much of the town—about 70% of its structures were destroyed in the blaze, and another 20% were partially damaged. A storm was the only reason the fire was at all contained.

"As black smoke rose to the sky and people fled in mass from the native horde, the Razing of Boston quickly became a rallying point for the New English people[5]. 'Remember Boston' was now a battlecry. The city would be refounded in 1680, the first to be officially created after the unification of New England, though others would soon follow.

"Now if you'll follow me this way, we can jump to the even more accurate display of the Second Razing of Boston..."

- Boston Museum of History tour, 1992​

"Much focus is given to the more northerly and easterly events of the First Metacom War. And not without reason; colonial counter-raids, the destruction of cities, bands of roaming, dying novans. Ironically, though plenty of true battles were fought elsewhere, it is those events that still capture the imagination, being more exciting and unique than the 'everyday' colonial war being raged, a war that was fought truly in what was then Rhode Island, a separate colony from those of New England, first established by outcasts of Massachusetts Bay.

More militarily-inclined people are really the only ones besides historians who know much of this region of the conflict, and that is only because of Captain Church. Luckily this is for a more than valid reason; without the swelling of his Rangers[6] and the creation of several more units under trusted men, not simply our military, but our history could be very different.

As King Metacom's forces began to lose morale as word reached them of the Betrayal of the Spirits, that infamous epidemic, some did more than simply run away to join the Hohdeno. Many, in fact, changed allegiance. If the spirits (whom were blamed for disease) were killing novans and not the White Man[7], that surely meant they were in league. Which then meant, with the White Man spouting about the supremacy of their singular deity, that the spirits had bent knee to the White Man and his God. So why shouldn't they?

This thinking was spread a great deal by Church, using previous deserters, allied novans, and the previously converted to have the message spill from friendly lips to the Metacomans. His wilders and militamen were also instrumental in helping lessen anti-novan sentiment back in New England, where they spoke of "good, trust-worthy Indians" who had "accepted the truth of God and civilization." It was the savage Indians, the ones who refused to see that their way was wrong, that were the enemy.

Of course, the lynchings in several prayer towns after the war show how not everyone agreed with this, but certainly had not the celebrated heroes of the war not been saying such rhetoric, things might have been worse.

Speaking of how things might have been worse, and getting back to the war itself, it should be certainly noted that King Metacom's depleted forces meant that Rhode Island was spared far more damage than it might have received, although ironically it was officially neutral in the conflict. The grinding down of the vague front by the Rangers and Metacomans meant that, despite being the focal point of the fighting, the colony was more intact than some of its northern counterparts, hence why it did not join the others in requesting unification. Of course, the religious divide also helped, and would prove to be worsened by proceeding events, as we all know. Truly, it is easy to say that the First Metacom War decided the fate of two nations."

- The Metacom Wars, by Lucas Prince, 1948​

"When most ships arrived in the New World, filled with hopeful new pilgrims, it was not uncommon for it to return home with a few new passengers, those whose dreams had been dashed in the American frontier, who missed the old country, or those who had business in England. This was certainly true in the 1670s especially, with the war with King Metacom seeing many dreaming wistfully of jolly old England, or at least desperately seeking an excuse to leave until things relaxed.

So when the captain of a recently arrived vessel was approached by a young girl seeking travel to Europe, he was not entirely surprised. That she asked for free passage may have been a start for him, but after hearing her story, his heart softened; with her family, from grandfather to youngest brother, dead, homestead destroyed by novan hands, and nearly all her possessions along with it, how could he deal her any more unkindness? So he allowed her to come, provided she helped clean around the ship.

If he had known what she would do, who she would become, he might have reconsidered. Perhaps even if he had only known just how all of her family had died, he would have denied her to take a single step on deck. But history is full of if's, and what happened instead is that when the girl in question set her feet on dry land once more, it would be in Old Plymouth. The claim that an old blind man at the port, once a performer in his youth, when this girl began walking up the dock, suddenly stood up and declared, 'By the pricking of my thumbs / Something wicked this way comes!' is likely entirely false. If it did happen, however, he was certainly right; Mary of Salem had arrived in England."

- Uncaught & Unsolved, test instance[8], opening monologue​

--|--​

[1] TTL term for a jeremiad, in this case a portmanteau of Hell and Illiad, given the sermons are explicit descriptions of the tribulations and events to be faced in the very physical realm of Hell.

[2] A term to refer to all the tribes under Metacom, as well as those who would fight later in his memory.

[3] Likely a gross overestimation, but this tour guide is supposed to try and impress people.

[4] New English is used inaccurately here, given the lack of unification, but given that militias had men from across the colonies, the catch-all can be forgiven.

[5] Here the grievance is worse, as even after unification few would see themselves as "New English".

[6] The Rangers (or rather units that became the precursors for the US Army Rangers) were established in OTL at this time as well, but in TTL there are far more units and so widespread use of Church's tactics.

[7] This is inaccurate, but the author assumes that people will of course know that the natives were not properly informed.

[8] We would say "pilot episode".

Last edited:
Rowlandson seems a bit overdramatic, but I'm wondering about the details of his family's deaths. Also Mary of Salem: any connection to the many Salem witch trials?

Rowlandson seems a bit overdramatic, but I'm wondering about the details of his family's deaths. Also Mary of Salem: any connection to the many Salem witch trials?

Wife died trying to escape the building with him, and his kids were taken by the natives only to die of injuries or diseass. In OTL, he died and his wife lived and was kidnapped herself, writing a book about her experiences.

As for Mary, other than being from the same town, no, or not directly at least. Partly that's because the trials haven't really happened yet; OTL it was still another twenty years or so before they reached the heights we know of today. Although I will say that TTL New England will certainly see its fair share of witch executions...

Great start, Xanthoc!
I've seen your superb writing skills in the flag challenges, so i have high expectations for this one.
But i'd like to ask... what's the PoD here? I couldn't find it.

Great start, Xanthoc!
I've seen your superb writing skills in the flag challenges, so i have high expectations for this one.
But i'd like to ask... what's the PoD here? I couldn't find it.

The outbreak of disease during King Phillip's War. No such major epidemic struck at that time; though epidemics did wittle away at native population, in TTL, due to infection being partially based on chance, there exists a colonist who is sick or is a carrier, when there is a raid on their home by natives. The disease successfully transmits, perhaps when that person is captive, and so the natives bring the sickness back home, and a new, massive epidemic hits the native tribes during the war. The ripple effects lead to more desperation which leads to more raids, which only worsens things as disease has of course also spread amongst the colonists, but they also cause more devastation across the colonies, requiring greater cooperation to survive.

Most TLs have a big event; someone important having their life go off the rails from OTL. I wanted to examine how even something so small can have large impacts, especially in such a volatile environment as colonial New England.

Last edited:
Part #3: One Nation Under God
Part #3: One Nation Under God

"I do not blame God for the evils of our world. Those are due to human nature. I blame Him for creating us as such, and for only watching as it happens, for intervening only when our pathetic and humiliating cries amuse him. For such reasons, the Church, organized religion, worship of the divine, it is all lunacy. He is not there for us we need him, and so we do not need him."

- Xander Cross[1], A World Without God

--|--​

"Even the most radical of Puritans will admit that perhaps their ancestors let their lust for vengeance get the best of them. Certainly, they will defend several contentions of the first peace with the Metacomans[2], but there is a universal agreement that the actions taken against the Wapanook and Nippenuc[3] peoples were severe, and whose consequences would prove to cause far more pain than the actions themselves avoided.

On paper, the plans of the colonists were not atypical, and indeed was not dissimilar to the conclusion of the Third Anglo-Powatan War[4], in which a leader was killed, the enemy alliance dissolved, and yet still the colonists pushed on, striking at the increasingly isolated groups. In New England this pursuit resulted in the extinction of the Wapanook, or rather the various factions that fell under their banner, with those who refused to be corralled into the 'praying towns' of the Nauset, who became the dominant native power in the region alongside the Peckwat[5], either being made to leave in exodus or being killed in acts of 'preemptive defense'.

This wanton slaughter reached the Nippenuc, who agreed to cede territory, as well as the permanent allowance of missionaries into their territories. Which meant that, within a handful of generations, the vast majority of them had been converted, and most major villages had a local reverend soon enough. The Puritans believed that in doing so, they would neutralize the group as an enemy. While this would indeed be the case for the Nippenuc, or rather the lion's share of said tribe, the examples of both would serve to inspire enough horror in other natives as to make them prefer death to surrender."

- Colonial Relations, (1952) by Thomas Reddigan​

“...The oldest recognized novan townships in New England were indeed praying towns. Now, of course, the term is a touch confusing, given the common term ‘Praying Township’ used by many New English settlements. There was even the rather comically named Praying Township of Praytown, although the city has since changed its official spelling and pronunciation to that of Prayton. However, there is a misconception that every majority novan city in New England was once a praying town. This is false.

Utopolis[6] is one of New England’s largest cities, and is still majority novan, but it was never a praying town. Many of its founders did originate from such places, yes, but the city itself, established in 1847, had no evangelizing mission. Its only churches were novan run, and its success led to numerous other places of replicated design to soon dot the landscape. Hawk’s Nest, Canaan City, Sury, Mohawk City, Kentsly, even New Ulster. All of these were built by novans and remain dominated by them to this very day.

Some suffered under the imposed guidance councils of late 19th Century, given the ethniprincipatic[7] undertones of that era's politics, but the majority were able to rebuild and recover in the following political climate. A select few, in fact, reached new heights, like Utopolis. The same cannot be said for other nations, where legal persecution and force of arms, leading to both genocide and xenocide[8], have decimated populations since the colonial period, or where tensions run high enough as to force novans to live in secluded, impoverished barbarism. And it is such facts that make certain allegations by so-called theoretical historians baseless.

The undeniable reality is that what has been decried as ‘coerced assimilation’, was perhaps the best possible outcome for the novan peoples…”

- Novans in the Modern Era, thesis by Dr. J. L. Prescott​

“‘The Erased Tribes to the East, they tell us that the White Man has forced us into remaining in a state of uneducated savagery. That we dwell in outdated garbs and practices for his amusement. That our role in his government is purely a token gesture. Clearly...they have never actually had the idea to come here themselves.’

[Laughter]

‘I want to address each of those claims. To the first claim, of our uneducated savagery, I wish to invite any the Erased to come and see our schools and universities, many attended by white students, as I can see today, due to the established infrastructure of our territories in this country, and due to years of greater stability than much of the white-ruled regions. Where is the lack of education? For we know the same sciences, be that physik, arithmology, alchimy, or lebenslehre[9]. Is it then purely that we have refused to convert to a foreign faith? Or is it our rituals, the potions we imbibe? Is that really so different from Communion? From blessings of holy water? And where is the savagery you speak of? That we still ride out with our weapons to patrol our lands, half out of tradition, half out of necessary patrolling of our lands?’

‘...Now to the second claim; that our tradition are allowed merely to amuse the White Man. This is easily dismissed; not only in legal print, given the concession of white men that our tribes were too strong to vanquish or assimilate, but with simple logic. There is no requirement that novans do anything. We wear our garbs and paint our faces and craft our tools and weapons because we want to. Because it is our way.

[Clapping, cheering]

As would the Erased had they not lost all that they were. And white men and women have even joined our tribes, marrying in, converting to our beliefs and adhering to our customs. They are and were ostracized for this, but it has been allowed. And our ways have even shaped culture and practices for this country at large! If this, freedom of dress, of worship, of tradition, truly is for us to be amusing to the White Man, then call me a jester and hand me some juggling balls!’

[Laughter, clapping]

‘And now...the third claim. That the Council of Chieftains and the required novan Delegates are but tokens of appeasement. This is a matter of debate, that I will admit, and there is no denying that was certainly the case at the time of the Council’s establishment. But today, our votes can sway the nation. Our chiefs often stand as impartial arbiters for white conflicts, and stop laws intended to harm us. And so I say, regardless of your political leanings, of what tribe you belong to, we can all agree that, in this country, we matter. And unlike the Erased, we have remained true to ourselves. We are not white men in red skin.’

[Thunderous applause]”

- Dr. Lone Pale Horse, lecture at Thethunwun[10] University, 1980​

"MINISTER: Good King! Good King! I have for you a humble plea from your subjects!

KING CHUCK JR.: Wh-what? Er, what is it they want? Nothing too radical, is it?

MINISTER: Oh well it's--my lord are you shaking?

KING CHUCK JR.: W-what? No! Of course not! I am a King! And...and I will let no Parliament turn me into a cuckold of my nation! Yes! Yes, indeed! Tell the people, that I, their sovereign, while I shall glance upon their request, shall grant it only by my own assent as their rightful ruler, with the wisdom of the kings of old, with crown and throne and power granted to me by God, with the right to rule granted by my blood and heritage and--

MINISTER: My lord, this plea comes from the Colonies, not Parliament.

KING CHUCK JR.: The colonies? Well didn't why you begin with that?! What do those continentals want?

MINISTER: Er, well, they've stopped fighting with the natives and--

KING CHUCK JR.: They did? I assume the next war will be coming next week?

MINISTER: My lord this is no jest; they wish to request a unification of their colonies, and have sent a request from each individual colony, as well as several major townships, each showcasing reasons for their agreement to this general request, as well as other requests should a bid for unification not be assented to. They have also each sent documents providing cases for why the Crown most turn away from ‘faux-popery’, but followed those up with documents saying why it's fine if you do not.

KING CHUCK JR.: My good man, if I agree to this, do I assume correctly that I would henceforth receive only one piece of paper in reference to these particular colonies?

MINISTER: Yes, my lord.

KING CHUCK JR.: Right then, ready your quill. Ready? Alright: 'Yes, go ahead. Signed King Chuck.'"

- Merry King Chuck, an 1889 satirical play​

“His Majesty, King Charles the Second, by the Grace of God, King of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, and Defender of the Faith, does grant consent to the unification of the New English colonies into a singular United Colony of New England, with their charters and borders to be merged once a unified government has been properly established.”

- The short reply to the Plea of Necessity written by King Charles II, other documents being penned by Members of Parliament​

"RESOLVED; Each of the former colonies shall henceforth be recognized as constituent provinces of New England.

RESOLVED; The boundaries of Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay during their period as separate entities shall be recognized as provincial borders.

RESOLVED; The colony of Connecticut shall be divided, with the territory of the former colony of New Haven being recognized as a separate province of the same name.

RESOLVED; The colony of Massachusetts Bay shall be divided, with the former province of Maine restored.

RESOLVED; The region of New Hampshire shall remain under the control of Massachusetts Bay[11]

RESOLVED; The government of the now recognized United Colony of New England shall be organized with a unicameral legislature, known as the National Commission, with the governors and legislatures of each province to send four commissioners to act as their representatives, with a President of the Commission to be elected by a two-thirds majority from amongst them. The power of proposal of legislation pertaining to interprovincial trade, interprovincial taxation, matters concerning treaties, matters pertaining to the United Militia, and matters pertaining to the expansion of the Colony as a whole shall be vested in the Commission, but requiring the ratification of two-thirds of the provinces.

RESOLVED; The status of the colony of Rhode Island will be discussed at a later time, upon first meeting of the New England government in the Spring of 1680.[12]"

- A Resolution Pertaining to the Unification of New England, passed by all three legislatures​

“British instability would continue, however, despite the aspirations of Charles II. Mercifully, what came next did not come in his lifetime. His passing was essentially the source, ironically, but many a poem and pithy remark were made about how utterly revolted he would have been, and how saddened. Of course, the topic would resurge again not long afterwards, in yet another mass loss of life to bloody the British Isles. The Shakespearean Resurgence would see the creation of three separate plays on the matter; one on the King’s life peppered with allusions, one about his ghost guiding Lords Waterford and Monmouth, and a third on the First Civil War that ends with a monologue by Charles II, critiquing then recent English history.

However, Charles II, up until his death, was content in the belief that, for the forseeable future, England would prevail. This is in large part due to two major feats. The first was the failure of the so-called Exclusion Bill, which sought to exclude his brother James from succession, though the movement was too small to be more than a showcase of anti-Catholic zealotry. However, it became a major concern for the crown, as the group, led by the Earl of Shaftesbury, would continue to propose such bills in Parliament. Only the first, however, had enough backing to be a threat, in many cases backed purely because of anger at the King’s dissolution of Parliament during the impeachment of Lord Danby. Those that supported the bill were eventually called Crofts, due to their backing of the James the Bastard, who had taken the surname Crofts after the Crofts baronet, and the name stuck, becoming a name used for those in opposition to the King’s totalist[13] actions, and later the primary opposition party for many years to come. The term itself became notably attached when, in heated debate about James Crofts’ legitimacy to the throne, one supporter proposed he wed Charles’ niece Mary, with the King to agree to divorce her and William of Orange; in response he and Shaftesbury were mocked as being “family to the good gentleman,” who were absolutely desperate to see him succeed as to arrange a marriage for him.

On the other side was the court party, which earned many deriding nicknames from Shaftesbury and company; Tories, Catholiers, Yorkites, and so on, but the term that became most notable, and the one that has survived to the modern day, was the one they gave themselves. And so is the history of the Abhorrers, or Abhors as we know them, who stood in abhorrence to the bill, and later to actions against the King’s will[14]. Most notably was Sir George Jeffreys, who helped create the term, and who later cemented it into the British lexicon during the war, in which he remarked “I stood in abhorrence to treason then, and I stand in abhorrence to it now.”

Perhaps what won the King the day was that, while a general anti-Catholic sentiment had existed in England for some time, it was essentially deescalating at the time of the first bill’s failure. Indeed, the power of Crofts more came from resentment of Charles’ repeated dissolutions of Parliament than anything else. Luckily, soon afterwards, an anti-Puritan craze would sweep the nation, spurred on by Abhors who accused Crofts of Cromwellian ambitions, furthered by the misspeaking of several Croft MPs, who had proposed that until Mary was with child, a regent hold power, their use of the term Lord Protector allowing for surging of scathing remarks against them. This led to Puritans leaving for New England including a few prominent English families who would use their wealth to become instrumental in the rebuilding of the colonies following the First Metacom War. Others would eventually help found Ricardia.

The second major feat of the King, which in truth helped end the Exclusion Bill entirely, was the successful pregnancy of Queen Catherine of Braganza in 1680. Succession was now sorted, the king being in seeming good health and the pregnancy seeing the birth of Prince Richard, who, while sickly, survived past infancy. Many conditional Crofts, especially those who merely disliked Charles, drifted away from the group, but there were some who, while not officially, still supported Lord Monmouth as a pretender to the throne, especially given Richard’s weak health in his youth. Likely, once Richard sat upon the throne, a man in his own right, these supporters would have faded off into obscurity, and English throne would have seen itself secure for many more years. But, instead, the year 1687 became known as the Bloody Year…”

- A Political History of the British Isles by Ian Anderso​

ToastedAvocado said:
here is my idea for a flag of a united north america

US_flag_24_stars.svg.png
SquadCmd said:
Eek. That's a little busy for my taste. I mean, the stripes aren't bad, but why 13 of them? And the stars are fine but that many with so many stripes just looks kinda excessive I guess.
lobomacho4 said:
I think it has potential, but you may have to explain what it all means to us. For instance, like Squad asked, what is the significance of 13 for the stripes? For that matter, what's the significance of 24? There are more than 24 countries in North America, although I guess the definition for where that ends and South America begins is pretty iffy.
ToastedAvocado said:
well the stripes i just sorta put on until i thought it looked good

stars are 24 for each country but with the a lot of the caribean all as 1 since its a lot of smaller countries
Tomanderson said:
If I'm being honest, "it looked good" shouldn't be the only reason why something is on a flag. It should have meaning. A flag is a symbol for a country. As for busy-ness, I agree with Squad that it is a bit on the far side, but look at pre-Reform Germany's flag and you'll see there's plenty of precedent for that in OTL.

Still, I'd up the star count for each country. The Caribbean would be livid if each nation wasn't shown in itself. And since that will clutter it more, maybe just a few stripes? But alll in all it isn't bad. Certainly not any worse than some of the ones I've made for Gaze to the East :p

ToastedAvocado said:
how is this?

USA.png ?

also made this. jus messing with stars

Flag_of_the_United_States_of_America_(1861-1863).svg.png

SquadCmd said:
Im gonna call that second one as my favorite. Still busy with the stars though.

--|--​

[1] This name will become important later

[2] The term is used as a catch-all for all tribes involved in the First Metacom War

[3] Wampnoag and Nipmuck in OTL

[4] I don’t really have explain which one this is, do I?

[5] Pequot

[6] Derived from Utopia, Thomas More’s book, namely for the idea of a native-run city that was perfect in every way. That they slapped on -polis is essentially redundant, but sounding intelligent was more of the idea

[7] This term will be important, but put in Social Darwinist or White Man’s Burden for understanding

[8] TTL genocide, murder based on ethnic grounds, is differentiated with xenocide, which is defined as murder based on cultural or ideological grounds. Science Fiction authors of TTL will use eidocide, murder based on form.

[9] OTL we would say “physics, mathematics, chemistry, and biology.”

[10] The Lakota, derived from Thítȟuŋwaŋ

[11] OTL Massachusetts Bay had control of the area, but New Hampshire’s charter was eventually recognized. TTL, control is recognized given the struggling nature of the colonies.

[12] Rhode Island was neutral in the war, but suffered heavily, as in OTL. However, they did not petition to join New England themselves, and New England is unsure if they should include them. This is going to cause headaches down the road

[13] Absolutist, or totalitarian would be good OTL synonyms.

[14] The Abhorrers are from OTL, and was indeed a name that came before the more commonly used Tory, itself derived from an Irish word for a bandit. OTL Petitioners used it to decry the Abhorrers, being ‘Catholic criminals’. Events in TTL see Abhorrer become the predominant term.

Last edited:
Slight retcon since I forgot that William and Mary were already married by 1677, and there haven't been enough effects for anything to change that. The only difference is now a Croft also wants her marriage ended, and the regency until she and William have children so that they don't have this exact same issue

NOOOOOOO! Keep New Hampshire! Keep Rhode Island! New England needs ALL its traditional divisions if it's gonna keep New Plymouth! :D

I'll be commenting more fully later, but for now wanted to beg for that AND tell you any New England timeline gets a watch, but one so entertaining gets me grinning!

PS: Chuck Junior is better than my own given nickname Chuck Two. :p

NOOOOOOO! Keep New Hampshire! Keep Rhode Island! New England needs ALL its traditional divisions if it's gonna keep New Plymouth! :D

Don't worry about Rhode Island. But what's a New Hampshire? Some kind of sandwhich? Because I only see northern Massachusetts Bay when I look on my map.

I'll be commenting more fully later, but for now wanted to beg for that AND tell you any New England timeline gets a watch, but one so entertaining gets me grinning!

Aw shucks, now Im blushing.