Nickelodeon's equivalent of Adult Swim: An What If.

Basically a successor thread to this thread:

What if Nickelodeon came up with a tamer and more tween/teen-oriented equivalent of Cartoon Network's famous Adult Swim block.

The idea also popped up from some stuff from @TheFaultsofAlts as well as this idea from another forum I frequent, the Anime Superhero Forums:

And some ideas of mine.

So.......

Yeah.

Summoning some good friends of mine....

@TheFaultsofAlts @UNIVERSAL.EXE @Tacomaster @ExowareMasses @Nivek @The Gamer Sunflower

Begin discussion!

Well, it would probably be similar to Nick@Nite, but without all the sitcoms.

I'd say Glenn Martin DDS would be a great show for this block.

I've been summoned. Here's what I think would happen.

First, it would be named "Nicktoons@Nite", because this was still when the Nicktoons banner meant something.

Second, it could initially run once a week, replacing Nick@Nite for that particular evening.

Third, assuming that a 2003 launch is plausible, given its inspiration, this could be the lineup at first:

9:00: The Ren and Stimpy Show (reruns)
9:30: Rocko's Modern Life (reruns)
10:00: As Told by Ginger (New home and eventually, new episodes!)
10:30: Invader Zim (Soon-to-be a NT@N exclusive.)
11:00: The Patakis (A Hey Arnold! spinoff that was overdue.)
11:30: Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon
12:00: Beavis and Butthead
12:30: Daria
1:00: Gary the Rat
1:30: Stripperella
2:00: South Park
2:30: Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist
3:00: TV Funhouse
3:30: Queer Duck
4:00: Hey Monie!
4:30: Reruns of 9-10:30

I'm sure I missed a few examples, but for the cutoff point of 2002-2003, I think I made as good of a lineup out of Paramount's adult animated shows as I could have done.

Basically a successor thread to this thread:

What if Nickelodeon came up with a tamer and more tween/teen-oriented equivalent of Cartoon Network's famous Adult Swim block.

The idea also popped up from some stuff from @TheFaultsofAlts as well as this idea from another forum I frequent, the Anime Superhero Forums:

And some ideas of mine.

So.......

Yeah.

@TheFaultsofAlts @UNIVERSAL.EXE @Tacomaster @ExowareMasses @Nivek @The Gamer Sunflower

Begin discussion!
As said in the previous thread, if started soon enough, it could become the new home of all MTV animations productions and creative when MTV decided to abandon animation, being the same Conglomerated make sense an easy move, Megas XLR , Undergrads and Downtown.

Last edited:
Well, it would probably be similar to Nick@Nite, but without all the sitcoms.

I'd say Glenn Martin DDS would be a great show for this block.
Yeah, considering that show was a attempt to compete with [as]
I've been summoned. Here's what I think would happen.

First, it would be named "Nicktoons@Nite", because this was still when the Nicktoons banner meant something.
1: That's exactly why I called you here.
2: Amen my guy, back when Nickelodeon actually cared.
3: But even then, I doubt they'd just out and about call it "Nicktoons@Nite". Maybe a more "cooler to the demographic" and separate name.

Maybe "Nick On The Edge"(yes, I got that from that ASF post)?

Or even N-Gage(assuming Nokia hasn't taken that name yet)?

Maybe "Nexus"?
Second, it could initially run once a week, replacing Nick@Nite for that particular evening.
Well, while that would work, I doubt it would run for the whole night at first as they would probably only air it for a few hours before expanding it.

Maybe Friday nights?
Third, assuming that a 2003 launch is plausible, given its inspiration, this could be the lineup at first:
Why 2003?
9:00: The Ren and Stimpy Show (reruns)
9:30: Rocko's Modern Life (reruns)
10:00: As Told by Ginger (New home and eventually, new episodes!)
10:30: Invader Zim (Soon-to-be a NT@N exclusive.)
11:00: The Patakis (A Hey Arnold! spinoff that was overdue.)
11:30: Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon
12:00: Beavis and Butthead
12:30: Daria
1:00: Gary the Rat
1:30: Stripperella
2:00: South Park
2:30: Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist
3:00: TV Funhouse
3:30: Queer Duck
4:00: Hey Monie!
4:30: Reruns of 9-10:30
Well, while this is a good lineup, most of these they would NOT even think of airing, even during a late-night slot, and would possibly come under hot fire for unless they were to pull a CN/AS type situation, which they did in 2004 IOTL.

The block wouldn't likely even start until 10PM and only run until Midnight or 1AM considering this is untested.

I don't even know what Hey Monies! and Queer Duck is, and only thing I've heard of from TV Funhouse is that it was once a segment in Saturday Night Live.
I'm sure I missed a few examples, but for the cutoff point of 2002-2003, I think I made as good of a lineup out of Paramount's adult animated shows as I could have done.
Well, while this was unrealistic, this was a good lineup if the BS&P was suddenly loosened across-the-board.

But more realistically, this would probably be it's lineup at launch:
  • Invader Zim
  • As Told By Ginger
  • The Patakis
  • Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
  • Clone High
  • The Ren and Stimpy Show
2 shows from Nick, a planned spin-off, a mature cartoon based off a popular superhero, a new show that would become a cult classic and reruns of a cult classic from Nick themselves to promote the infamous reboot over on male-orinted sister channel Spike.

I think it's a nice launch lineup that's a bit more realistic.

Then over time, we could build up the lineup.
As said in the previous thread, if started soon enough, it could become the new home of all MTV animations productions and creative when MTV decided to abandon animation, being the same Conglomerated make sense an easy move, Megas XLR , Undergrads and Downtown.
You know what, while that is a good idea, it would sadly be too late by the time this block launches to put Megas XLR on it considering that it would have already been in production on Cartoon Network.

I don't think most of the cartoons were even enough for weekdays. Here's a potential Sun-Thurs launch schedule, for 2003:
  • 9 PM: Invader Zim (including premieres of season 2, bringing it up to 27 episodes, just above the minimum daily 26)
  • 9:30 PM: Rocko's Modern Life
  • 10 PM: Ren and Stimpy (ORIGINAL)
  • 10:30 PM: Daria
And then N@N follows afterwards. I also think that, since unlike CN, Nick was always a kids channel and prided itself on even its "adult" programming being family friendly, I don't think they'd even CONSIDER MA programs. Even their TV-14 shows might have to be comparitively light.

1: That's exactly why I called you here.
2: Amen my guy, back when Nickelodeon actually cared.
3: But even then, I doubt they'd just out and about call it "Nicktoons@Nite". Maybe a more "cooler to the demographic" and separate name.
On the one hand, thank you.

On the other hand, a cooler name would be a better choice.

Maybe "Nexus"?
Any of those names could work very well.
Well, while that would work, I doubt it would run for the whole night at first as they would probably only air it for a few hours before expanding it.
That does make sense in retrospect.
Maybe Friday nights?
That could work.
Why 2003?
Because by that point, Adult Swim would have been a proven hit with both Sundays and Saturdays aimed at two separate demographics.
Well, while this is a good lineup, most of these they would NOT even think of airing, even during a late-night slot, and would possibly come under hot fire for unless they were to pull a CN/AS type situation, which they did in 2004 IOTL.
Yeah, you're right.
The block wouldn't likely even start until 10PM and only run until Midnight or 1AM considering this is untested.
Understandably so.
I don't even know what Hey Monies! and Queer Duck is, and only thing I've heard of from TV Funhouse is that it was once a segment in Saturday Night Live.
The former two are obscure 2000's adult animated series, and Queer Duck was originally a webseries. TV Funhouse got its own series on Comedy Central around this time, though.
Well, while this was unrealistic, this was a good lineup if the BS&P was suddenly loosened across-the-board.
Thank you. I also wanted to use as much of the Paramount-owned animated library for 14+ as I could.
But more realistically, this would probably be it's lineup at launch:
  • Invader Zim
  • As Told By Ginger
  • The Patakis
  • Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
  • Clone High
  • The Ren and Stimpy Show
2 shows from Nick, a planned spin-off, a mature cartoon based off a popular superhero, a new show that would become a cult classic and reruns of a cult classic from Nick themselves to promote the infamous reboot over on male-orinted sister channel Spike.
You know, the only one of these I don't see the point of is having Spider-Man on this block, due to it not being A.) a Nickelodeon IP, or B.) an original concept that could find a better home on a bigger network like Nick. But I do see the appeal of having a Marvel series on Nickelodeon.
I think it's a nice launch lineup that's a bit more realistic.
I can see that.
Then over time, we could build up the lineup.
Sure!

I don't think most of the cartoons were even enough for weekdays. Here's a potential Sun-Thurs launch schedule, for 2003:
  • 9 PM: Invader Zim (including premieres of season 2, bringing it up to 27 episodes, just above the minimum daily 26)
I wasn't considering a weekday strip at launch, but for a Mon-Thurs lineup, it's really good.
And then N@N follows afterwards. I also think that, since unlike CN, Nick was always a kids channel and prided itself on even its "adult" programming being family friendly, I don't think they'd even CONSIDER MA programs. Even their TV-14 shows might have to be comparitively light.
Fair enough.

I misread the title of this thread as "Napoleon's equivalent of Adult Swim" and thought that this thread was about speculating what Adult Swim would look like in a Napoleonic victory timeline LMFAO

Last edited:
Right.
You know, that's actually a good lineup.
And then N@N follows afterwards.
Well, of course N@N would be afterwards.
I also think that, since unlike CN, Nick was always a kids channel and prided itself on even its "adult" programming being family friendly, I don't think they'd even CONSIDER MA programs. Even their TV-14 shows might have to be comparitively light.
OF COURSE THE CONTENT WOULDN'T BE THAT EDGY.

And considering what CN could've gotten away with, and even with what Nick could've gotten away with had they relaunched into a more YTV-esque direction, I think they could try some light 14 shows.
On the one hand, thank you.
You're welcome.
On the other hand, a cooler name would be a better choice.
Well, what did you have in mind?
Any of those names could work very well.
Thanks.
That does make sense in retrospect.

That could work.
Yeah.
Because by that point, Adult Swim would have been a proven hit with both Sundays and Saturdays aimed at two separate demographics.
Oh. Gotcha!
Yeah, you're right.

Understandably so.

The former two are obscure 2000's adult animated series, and Queer Duck was originally a webseries. TV Funhouse got its own series on Comedy Central around this time, though.

Thank you. I also wanted to use as much of the Paramount-owned animated library for 14+ as I could.
Oh. Ok.

How long did TV Funhouse last?
You know, the only one of these I don't see the point of is having Spider-Man on this block, due to it not being A.) a Nickelodeon IP, or B.) an original concept that could find a better home on a bigger network like Nick. But I do see the appeal of having a Marvel series on Nickelodeon.
Well, I did that because the show aired on MTV IOTL so I figured why not..
I can see that.

Sure!
Ok.
I wasn't considering a weekday strip at launch, but for a Mon-Thurs lineup, it's really good.

Fair enough.
Yeah.

That lineup is nice.
I misread the title of this thread as "Napoleon's equivalent of Adult Swim" and thought that this thread was about speculating what Adult Swim would look like in a Napoleonic victory timeline LMFAO
What?

Well, I could kinda see where you came from given how Nickelodeon is spelled....

But I appreciate the extra view of my thread though!

Begin discussion!

Maybe "Nexus"?
Or...how about:
NShift logo.png

It's essentially stands for Nightshift (referencing its timeslot), while also being spoken as simply "N-shift" (a la N-Gage).​

Any thoughts?

2004: Expansion.

After the success of the nighttime animation block, Nickelodeon announced a expansion of the block to Saturday nights, primarily to compete with Cartoon Network's Toonami and Adult Swim Action blocks, while these were aired after Nick's Saturday night live-action block, it still counted.

Monday-Thursday:
9:00PM: Invader Zim
9:30PM: As Told By Ginger
10:00PM: Ren and Stimpy
10:30PM: Clone High

Friday:
10PM: As Told By Ginger
10:30PM: The Patakis
11PM: The New Ren and Stimpy(NOT EVEN CLOSE TO RESEMBLING THAT ADULT PARTY CRAP, but rather more like the original series, but a bit more mature)
11:30PM: Clone High

Saturday:
10PM: Invader Zim
10:30PM: Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
11PM: s-CRY-ed
11:30PM: Saiyuki

That's right, anime comes to the block, and I moved IZ and SM:TNAS to Saturdays to give the new block some boost, and because they wouldn't fit as much on Fridays anymore.

Note that come Fall after s-CRY-ed ends, Saiyuki moves up to its old slot and D.N. Angel premieres at 11:30, meanwhile, Megas XLR ITTL would air on SLAM! and Super Milk Chan would air on either MTV2 or Comedy Central.

Remember Oh Yeah Cartoons? The thing that we got Fairly Odd Parents and Chalk Zone from. Cartoon Network had some equivalent where they got Evil Con Crane and Billy and Mandy. Anyways, if we get another one or two shows from Oh Yeah Cartoon... Come to think of it actually, how much content did Adult Swim and Toonami originally produce on their own? Might be Nickelodeon just bought up the syndication rights for something Cartoon Network would otherwise get.