No Red Sultan

johnreiter

Banned
What if Murad V of the Ottoman Empire defeated the coup attempt in 1876, and executed Abdul Hamid? How much more would the Ottoman Empire have modernized? How would this change their involvement in World War 1?

Last edited:
What if Murad V of the Ottoman Empire defeated the coup attempt in 1876, and executed Abdul Hamid? How much more would the Ottoman EMpire have modernized? How would this change their involvement in World War 1?
World War One probably doesn't happen in the way we know given everything that happened in the Balkans from 1876 to 1914.

Im wondering if even if he survived the 1876 coup, would he be able to win the 10th Russo-Turkish War the following year, and if not, can he survive the next almost inevitable coup attempt?.

My immediate thought is, Abdul Hamid and his brother were (supposedly) on the same political wavelength and were generally pro-modernization. Abdul Hamid changed his viewpoints as a result of the upcoming Russo-Turkish War. Whereas Murad V's reign was marked by declining mental health and alcoholism. I have a feeling a failed coup by his brother followed by the ATL 76-78 Russo-Turkish War will make for a short and unproductive reign no matter what.

johnreiter

Banned
My immediate thought is, Abdul Hamid and his brother were (supposedly) on the same political wavelength and were generally pro-modernization. Abdul Hamid changed his viewpoints as a result of the upcoming Russo-Turkish War. Whereas Murad V's reign was marked by declining mental health and alcoholism. I have a feeling a failed coup by his brother followed by the ATL 76-78 Russo-Turkish War will make for a short and unproductive reign no matter what.
I was thinking that, if he remained in power, he would be too weak to dissolve Parliament like his brother did. Therefore, the Ottoman Empire would remain under parliamentary rule, even if the Sultan turned against modernization