PC: Use of personal gun shields in combat

For reference, I'm mostly thinking of the late 19th/early 20th century, from about 1880 onwards, although possibly continuing up to the present day.

A gun shield is a plate of metal attached to a machine gun, artillery piece, or similar weapon to defend the crew from small-arms fire. I was wondering whether it would be feasible to issue similar devices to individual infantrymen -- a square or rectangle of metal, big enough for a man to sit or crouch behind, with a firing-slit in it, which he could stick in the ground in order to shield himself from enemy bullets during battle.

Obviously they wouldn't provide as much protection as a trench, particularly against artillery, but they would have the advantage of being portable and quick to set up.

For reference, I'm mostly thinking of the late 19th/early 20th century, from about 1880 onwards, although possibly continuing up to the present day.

A gun shield is a plate of metal attached to a machine gun, artillery piece, or similar weapon to defend the crew from small-arms fire. I was wondering whether it would be feasible to issue similar devices to individual infantrymen -- a square or rectangle of metal, big enough for a man to sit or crouch behind, with a firing-slit in it, which he could stick in the ground in order to shield himself from enemy bullets during battle.

Obviously they wouldn't provide as much protection as a trench, particularly against artillery, but they would have the advantage of being portable and quick to set up.
Anything thick enough to be useful is too heavy to lug around.

Above article discuss this topic quite well with historical examples.