Plausibility of Catholic Collapse During Reformation

I’m generally ignorant of the Protestant Reformation and subsequent events, but I’ve been wondering about the plausibility of the Catholic Church collapsing as a coherent entity. Basically was it ever possible for the Reformation to completely supplant Catholicism throughout Western/Central Europe, even it happened a couple centuries down the line? Is it possible for the organized Catholic Church (Vatican, priest hierarchy) to disappear at some point after the Reformation?

I’m generally ignorant of the Protestant Reformation and subsequent events, but I’ve been wondering about the plausibility of the Catholic Church collapsing as a coherent entity. Basically was it ever possible for the Reformation to completely supplant Catholicism throughout Western/Central Europe, even it happened a couple centuries down the line? Is it possible for the organized Catholic Church (Vatican, priest hierarchy) to disappear at some point after the Reformation?
The only way I could see this happening if ALL the monarchs in Europe had pulled a Henry VIII- setting
up a church for their own countries completely independent of anyone else, and/or seizing all of the
Church’s lands & properties in their countries. This simply wasn’t going to happen.

a Pope (... or more, competing popes), making even more of a mess of it, specially up through the 15th century so it's still actively disputed by the time reformation rolls around, could possibly push towards a more decentralized Church, but whether it would raise to the point where the Catholic Church could be said to have disappeared I highly doubt. Specially since enough nations still have enough of an interest to prop up a organized church at least within their own domains, so they'll be Catholic in all but perhaps name.

Last edited:
Martin Luther of course, didn't want to split Christianity, he just wanted to fully reform the Catholic church- I think in the scenario that he does, it'll still be the Catholic church with its head in rome, but having undergone reforms comparable in scale with the Gregorian reforms