Pope Pius II has better health

I have only recently discovered Pius II and find him an intriguing figure. He died at Ancona in 1464. He had been waiting for a Venetian fleet to arrive to transport a crusader army he intended to lead in person against the Turks. When they did arrive he was very sick and died two days later.

So WI he was not sick and did lead the crusade? Is it doomed due to internal political tensions? If it goes really bad is their any chance that he is captured by the Ottomans?

Or is there a chance that he can achieve at least limited success? Does this establish a precedent for the Papacy? Is there any chance he could meet Vlad the Impaler in person??

You're interested in a pope whose early poetry makes 50 shades of grey look like a children's book.

He has no military authority or experience, so the chances he will lead the army to victory is ASB, more than likely he would either end up dead on the battle or captured by the Turks, both events lead to the same conclusion, the Turks, demanding a high ransom for him/his body's release.

If the Papal state, doesn't pay for him, the Turks would see it as them casting him away as a nobody, which they will use to their advantage, most likely for just propaganda uses, or the Papal State, pays the high ransom, giving Pius the respect of the Catholic Church but will end up giving the Turks money, which, again, they will use to their advantage, by buying advanced weapons, ships or mercenaries.

You're interested in a pope whose early poetry makes 50 shades of grey look like a children's book.

He has no military authority or experience, so the chances he will lead the army to victory is ASB, more than likely he would either end up dead on the battle or captured by the Turks, both events lead to the same conclusion, the Turks, demanding a high ransom for him/his body's release.

If the Papal state, doesn't pay for him, the Turks would see it as them casting him away as a nobody, which they will use to their advantage, most likely for just propaganda uses, or the Papal State, pays the high ransom, giving Pius the respect of the Catholic Church but will end up giving the Turks money, which, again, they will use to their advantage, by buying advanced weapons, ships or mercenaries.

Yeah I knew about this guy's pre-Papal risque writings. I do wonder if he is captured or killed if it will effect the image of the Papacy going forward.

Yeah I knew about this guy's pre-Papal risque writings. I do wonder if he is captured or killed if it will effect the image of the Papacy going forward.

Well the Papal conclave, will not be called 1464. The tenth Crusade would push it back to around 1670.
The Conclave capitulation, would be more right wing and supportive of the next pope being more militant, maybe by having the conclave elected a General rather then a bishop?

I have only recently discovered Pius II and find him an intriguing figure. He died at Ancona in 1464. He had been waiting for a Venetian fleet to arrive to transport a crusader army he intended to lead in person against the Turks. When they did arrive he was very sick and died two days later.

So WI he was not sick and did lead the crusade? Is it doomed due to internal political tensions? If it goes really bad is their any chance that he is captured by the Ottomans?

Or is there a chance that he can achieve at least limited success? Does this establish a precedent for the Papacy? Is there any chance he could meet Vlad the Impaler in person??

From what I have read, it is believed that Vlad the Impaler was imprisoned by Matthias Corvinus from 1462 to roughly 1466. Unless the pope can convince Corvinus to release Vlad, then the chances of them meeting are highly unlikely.