Rear Admiral Sir Horace Hood survives the Battle of Jutland

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
As I was working on some more of my naval fiction stories recently, I was once more sidetracked (as one inevitably happens to be) by reading again about Rear Admiral Sir Horace Hood who was lost when HMS Invincible blew up at Jutland.

Looking through his career history, he appears to have been a dynamic, skilled leader with a promising future ahead of him. If Invincible had not blown up, or if he had somehow survived her destruction, what might his naval path developed into down the line? It's quite an interesting question, particularly what sort of influence he may have in the interwar years and what sort of ultimate position he may have achieved. He would probably have retired before the outbreak of the Second World War, but it's by no means certain given Admiral of the Fleet Ernle Chatfield was just three years younger and retired in 1951.

Assuming he retains the vigour he was known for and good health, shall we speculate?

Sargon

Assuming the ship is still list, but he survived, would that cripple his promotions? Or would it be seen as just bad luck? Not a scholar, so unsure if he was reckless/ Beatty can blame him somehow as Good rushed in to help out.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
If Invincible survives, she was later credited with the killing shot on Lutzow, and - given the quality of her shooting thanks to the ranges at Scapa Flow - she may well have inflicted further damage on one or more of Hipper's surviving battlecruisers. This can only add to Hood's credit andmark him out as the coming man, although not sure he would leap ahead of Pakenham as C-in-C Battlecruiser Fleet when Beatty moves upwards.

I don't know if much would have happened. I think there's a bit of a mythology built up around Hood because he died. I mean, did look at the officer who did survive - Dannreuther. An interesting story and he got some promotions afterwards, but he was retired well before WW2.

If Invincible survives, she was later credited with the killing shot on Lutzow, and - given the quality of her shooting thanks to the ranges at Scapa Flow - she may well have inflicted further damage on one or more of Hipper's surviving battlecruisers.

It's not just the quality of 3BCS shooting we have to consider, but the tactical situation. Invincible was hit because a patch of mist cleared which exposed her to fire from Lutzow and Derfflinger - until then ISG was aiming at nothing but muzzle flashes (and, unsurprisingly, not bothering 3BCS in the slightest). After her destruction Inflexible and Indomitable had to turn away from the enemy (who had themselves turned away as part of the first Gefechtskehrtwendung) to avoid the wreck before going in pursuit, and were then recalled by Beatty. If that mist doesn't clear (the most likely PoD), then a) Inflexible and Indomitable would continue uninterrupted firing on, and hitting, Seydlitz and Derfflinger respectively, neither of which were good shape, and b) Beatty might have been more inclined to let the action continue in the absence of yet another battlecruiser exploding on his watch, or Hood might have decided that he was still technically part of the Grand Fleet, not the BCF, and therefore not subject to orders from VAC BCF to run away. The result of a), as you say, stands a good chance of inflicting fatal damage on at least two more German battlecruisers. If either of b) happen then there's a good chance that either 3BCS or the entire BCF encounter ISG near stationary while Derfflinger is trying to clear her torpedo nets. Hood might also spot and report the turn away, leading to an earlier turn south or even westward of south by the Grand Fleet, leading to an earlier second contact between the main fleets. That one change, apparently small, at least has the potential to change the entire outcome of the battle.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
I don't know if much would have happened. I think there's a bit of a mythology built up around Hood because he died. I mean, did look at the officer who did survive - Dannreuther. An interesting story and he got some promotions afterwards, but he was retired well before WW2.
Dannreuther wasn't an Admiral at Jutland, so the comparison really doesn't work.

I do agree that, as with so many prominent men & women who died before their time, there is a tendency to look through rose-tinted glasses at what they could have done, rather than conjure up the mistakes they would invariably have made. Would we think the same of Evans-Thomas or Jerram if they had been killed at Jutland?

It is named for an earlier Hood. The family had been breeding admirals for centuries.
Well, yes, but would they still name it that if Horace Hood hadn't recently died? I think it was a good opportunity, with the widow and all being there for the ceremony...

Well, yes, but would they still name it that if Horace Hood hadn't recently died? I think it was a good opportunity, with the widow and all being there for the ceremony...

The Admiral class of 4 battlecruisers were designed in 1915-1916, and were set to be named Hood, Anson, Howe and Rodney. The order for the first 3 were placed on May 31st (the day Jutland took place), and Rodney 2 weeks later.

Since Hood was named after Admiral Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount Hood (1724-1816), so it's doubtful the name would have been changed.

Last edited:

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor

Dannreuther wasn't an Admiral at Jutland, so the comparison really doesn't work.

I do agree that, as with so many prominent men & women who died before their time, there is a tendency to look through rose-tinted glasses at what they could have done, rather than conjure up the mistakes they would invariably have made. Would we think the same of Evans-Thomas or Jerram if they had been killed at Jutland?

Indeed, and that's quite right to point out. We could say that Hood achieves little and fades away amongst the mass of Admirals in the RN at the time. That's perfectly possible, as is an accident crippling or killing him either a short time after his OTL death or some years later. TLs could be written about those, but they would either be short or not very interesting.

In terms of AH, it's not impossible that he could have achieved something, just as much as he might have achieved nothing or very little. That's what this thread and what might have been or not have been is about really as things could go in many ways.

It's not just the quality of 3BCS shooting we have to consider, but the tactical situation. Invincible was hit because a patch of mist cleared which exposed her to fire from Lutzow and Derfflinger - until then ISG was aiming at nothing but muzzle flashes (and, unsurprisingly, not bothering 3BCS in the slightest). After her destruction Inflexible and Indomitable had to turn away from the enemy (who had themselves turned away as part of the first Gefechtskehrtwendung) to avoid the wreck before going in pursuit, and were then recalled by Beatty. If that mist doesn't clear (the most likely PoD), then a) Inflexible and Indomitable would continue uninterrupted firing on, and hitting, Seydlitz and Derfflinger respectively, neither of which were good shape, and b) Beatty might have been more inclined to let the action continue in the absence of yet another battlecruiser exploding on his watch, or Hood might have decided that he was still technically part of the Grand Fleet, not the BCF, and therefore not subject to orders from VAC BCF to run away. The result of a), as you say, stands a good chance of inflicting fatal damage on at least two more German battlecruisers. If either of b) happen then there's a good chance that either 3BCS or the entire BCF encounter ISG near stationary while Derfflinger is trying to clear her torpedo nets. Hood might also spot and report the turn away, leading to an earlier turn south or even westward of south by the Grand Fleet, leading to an earlier second contact between the main fleets. That one change, apparently small, at least has the potential to change the entire outcome of the battle.

And this is one where there are very interesting outcomes. Thanks for posting this.

The Admiral class of 4 battlecruisers were designed in 1915-1916, and were set to be named Hood, Anson, Howe and Rodney. The order for the first 3 were placed on May 31st (the day Jutland took place), and Rodney 2 weeks later.

Since Hood was named after Admiral Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount Hood (1724-1816), so it's doubtful the name would have been changed.

That is indeed the case. I always find it fascinating about that order being on the day the Battle of Jutland took place. Almost portentous.

Sargon

Last edited:

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor

IIRC Horace Hood's widow launched the Hood.