Save one Historical Microstate

If you had to save a Microstate in history, which one would you want to save?

• Couto Misto

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Republic of Cospaia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • State of Jaxa

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Lucca

• Republic of Indian Stream

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Neutral Moresnet/Amikejo

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Republic of Senarica

• Republic of Ragusa

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Byzantine Constantinople (1453)*

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • Republic of Paulava

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post below)

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
Microstates are an oddity in the world. Not to be confused with Micronations, Microstates are internationally recognized and sovereign nations, that are tiny. There's been many Microstates in history, most of which get swallowed up by their larger neighbors.

If you had to save one Microstate in history, which one would you want to save and have survive to the modern day?

The list of Historical Microstates includes:
  1. Couto Misto
  2. Republic of Cospaia
  3. State of Jaxa
  4. Lucca
  5. Republic of Indian Stream
  6. Neutral Moresnet/Amikejo
  7. Republic of Senarica
  8. Republic of Ragusa
  9. Byzantine Constantinople (1453)*
  10. Republic of Paulava
  11. Other (Post below)

*Sidenote: Counting Constantinople in 1453 as a microstate, excluding it's control in Morea and Bulgaria, and just the city itself.

Neutral Moresnet, since its survival implies a world without the Great War and all that came after.
Seconding this :)
I remember making a post in one of the map threads last year, suggesting that Kelmis in Moresnet would be a good location for an international conference center, dedicated solely to the resolution of border disputes ;)

*cue music*

So take me back to Constantinople, no, you can't go back to Constantinople, been a long time gone, Constantinople, why did Constantinople get the works? That's nobody's business but the Turks!

Whilst I'm writing notes for a surviving post 1453 Constantinople that gets restored, I do somewhat love the idea of it as a microstate. I'm not sure *HOW* unless you have something happen to the Ottomans and a sort of S.European/Anatolian/E.European power balance that it can sit at the heart of (perhaps a Karamanese Sultanate of Rum, Uber-Hungary, Poland-Lithuania (then Russia) balance of power with Constantinople as an agreed neutral ground? Or perhaps something closer to the Papacy with a brief restoration before a decline to a largely symbolic role? Tbh, I love the idea of a Constantinople that doesn't really have its own power, but takes a very HRE/Papal-esque role in Europe and Anatolia. Not powerful in its own right, but its the only authority anyone in the region would defer to - not because it has its own power, but because "its the rules" and not doing so legitimises regional opponents.

Microstates are an oddity in the world. Not to be confused with Micronations, Microstates are internationally recognized and sovereign nations, that are tiny. There's been many Microstates in history, most of which get swallowed up by their larger neighbors.

If you had to save one Microstate in history, which one would you want to save and have survive to the modern day?

The list of Historical Microstates includes:
  1. Couto Misto
  2. Republic of Cospaia
  3. State of Jaxa
  4. Lucca
  5. Republic of Indian Stream
  6. Neutral Moresnet/Amikejo
  7. Republic of Senarica
  8. Republic of Ragusa
  9. Byzantine Constantinople (1453)*
  10. Republic of Paulava
  11. Other (Post below)

*Sidenote: Counting Constantinople in 1453 as a microstate, excluding it's control in Morea and Bulgaria, and just the city itself.
I always learn something from your posts. Of this list, I was only familiar with 2. I think the Republic of Senarica would be an excellent setting for a play or a novel.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Couto Misto would probably be the easiest
it's so incredibly tiny that the only thing it has to do to survive is not draw attention to itself