Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

I mean no offense, but I really wish people would top trying to make DUKE a thing. When talking about this period, just saying British Empire is accurate enough.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
There can be little doubt that the Japanese offensive in both Malaya and Burma, have failed and that other than local counter attacks, the Japanese are going to be on the defensive in the Far East, from now on. With the Mediterranean region having become for the time being a minor concern, as until the decision is made to either invade Sicily/Italy, or occupy them after a change of government. The British don’t need anywhere as large a military presence in the region , as they did IOTL, the Vichy French forces in the Levent and North Africa are in no position to conduct operations against the British. While the Italians themselves will be concentrating on trying to defend Sicily and the Italian mainland against a possible British Invasion, while coming under steadily increasing air attacks. Franco in Spain is trying to work out how he can reduce his commitments to Adolf and Benito, and improve his relationship with both Britain and America. In the Far East it’s time to rotate units that have been in combat, and then pause for the duration of the present Monsoon, while building up strength and offensive capabilities. Hopefully this will be the only Monsoon that the British forces have to observe a pause for, as by the time the next Monsoon occurs the British will be in a situation where they can continue to fight through the Monsoon. While the situation in the Mediterranean will have resolved itself, and the French forces outside France , both in the Mediterranean and throughout the rest of Africa, will have switched sides to the Free French, and join the Allied cause. And the various minor amphibious actions will have both pushed the Italians and Germans back to the European mainland, and started a series of raids against Southern France, Italy, Greece and Yugoslavia, causing the Germans and Italy to deploy increasing numbers of forces into defending the extensive shoreline. As the increasing pressure on the Germans from the Soviets, requires them to either withdraw forces from the South and hand over more responsibility to the Italians, Hungarians and Romanians. Or deprive their forces in Russia of much needed reinforcements, along with depriving their forces in Northern France of the resources, equipment and personnel, they need to prepare for the inevitable Anglo American invasion.

RR.

Hmm with the Free French I wonder how this quiet period for them relatively speaking will effect them I mean more training and kit for them and the Poles will be a plus without the strain of OTL. Though politically and diplomatically I can see this quitenperiod being a bit more awkward.

How long will it be before some Mosquitoes become available? I don’t know if they’d be sent ITTL but I’d hope they would be. The Mossie was just about the best bomber/strike aircraft of the war .

How long will it be before some Mosquitoes become available? I don’t know if they’d be sent ITTL but I’d hope they would be. The Mossie was just about the best bomber/strike aircraft of the war .
Nothing short of a jet could keep up with them.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor

Mosquitoes were found to be a major problem in the Far East, as the glue used to bind the layers of wood together that they were made of, both degraded in the damp heat, and being glued together with casein based glue a natural product which made them highly susceptible to mould. So I doubt that they will be used in the region, until the problems have been resolved.

RR.

1 April 1942. Singapore.

Lieutenant General Alan Cunningham, with his staff, listened to the latest update from Lieutenant-General Ivan Mackay (GOC II Australian Corps). Japanese resistance was firming up, it seemed that reinforcements, probably 2nd Infantry Division, had arrived in northern Malaya. The Japanese troops were fresh, while the Australians were fast running out of steam. The desire to knock the Japanese back past Jitra to the Thai border was realistically not feasible, in Mackay’s opinion. Cunningham listened to various staff reports, especially the Quartermaster General, and finally agreed that Mackay’s men had done as much as humanly possible for the moment.
Ahh...it looks like the Japanese troops from the recently concluded Phillipines offensive had been transferred there...that being said, with an increased presence of the Allied navy at the South China Sea...perhaps the Japanese supply situation could be in the edge of the precarious position..
Lieutenant General Lewis Heath (GOC III Indian Corps) agreed to move his three Divisions up to Alor Star to allow the Australians to move back for a rest and refit. Once in position Cunningham asked Heath to give an assessment of the chances of attacking the Japanese, or whether to dig in until after the monsoon rains. The next Durban-Malaya Convoy (DM 4) had departed South Africa and was expected to arrive in the next week or so. This convoy would bring all of 51st (Highland Division) and part of 1st Division. WS 17, had just departed Glasgow and Liverpool with the rest of 1st Division and 4th Division, so they could expect DM 5 in mid-May, completing V Corps.
as we can see here...the division that IIRC were allocated to home defence (after suffering some losses at the battle of France) IOTL are on their way to Malaya,
It would take time for V Corps to become ready, which would mean it would be after the Monsoon anyway before Cunningham’s 12th Army was complete and ready to go.
which hopefully when the time comes, would be enough to push the Japanese from the entirety of the Malay Peninsular...although I do wonder by that point how far would the troops in Burma has advance in Thailand...
In addition to V Corps, Cunningham was happy to confirm that part of the Australian 1st Armoured Division were about to leave Australia for Malaya. The first echelon had sailed and their first task would be to set up their depots alongside the Royal Armoured Corps’ in Johor. The 1st Australian Armoured Brigade (1st AAB) would follow, equipped with Stuart M3 Light tanks. 2nd AAB was now fully equipped with Grant M3 Medium tanks, but weren’t yet ready for deployment. 4th Motor Brigade (formerly 4th Cavalry Brigade [6th, 7th and 14th Light Horse]), like 2nd AAB weren’t ready for overseas operations.
And we have more troops being reallocated from their home region now we have less of a threat of an enemy attack at home....
Lt-Gen Cunningham then asked for an update from Brigadier Michael Hedderwick, CO of the Malaya Tank Brigade (4th, 7th & 11th Bn RTR). Hedderwick noted that 7th Bn RTR were still forward supporting Australian II Corps, and were in a poor state regarding serviceability of the tanks and the tiredness of the men. 11th Bn RTR, the first tank Battalion in Malaya had now been refreshed and rested, it was back at full strength and 4th Bn RTR, having arrived in January, were finishing an exercise to test their readiness to become operational. Another Tank Brigade was due to arrive to join V Corps, and hopefully there would be enough spare Matilda II tanks aboard DM 4 to bring 7th Bn RTR back up to strength. 11th Bn RTR had worked well with the Indian III Corps previously, if a tank battalion was to be attached to Indian III Corps would be ready, willing and able. Hedderwick expressed the anxiety that normally a Tank Brigade would provide one Battalion (58 tanks) to each of the Divisions in the Corps. Until 11th Bn RTR was back and restored, then Hedderwick could only offer two Battalions to Lt-Gen Heath. Heath was delighted, previously he’d only had one, double that was a real advantage, even if three would have been perfect.
And hopefully with the amount of troops that will be in Malaya...there would be much troops that are able tp be rotated..
Air Vice Marshall Pulford then gave his assessment of the situation of the war in the air. The reinforcements for the RAF that had arrived in DM3 were beginning to become operational. While listening to the army’s update, Pulford had pressed for the seizure of the airfield of Alor Star to enable it to be brought back into service.
Had to agree...especially since the distance from Jitra to Alor Star is like from Croydon to the City of Londonm
With the information given he accepted that the chances were that it would be too close to the front line to be of much use. Pulford was happy to report that Sungei Patani and some of the landing fields around Butterworth were operational. Squadrons of Hurricanes, Tomahawks and Bristol Blenheims were now based at Sungei Patani, giving the aircraft and their crews more time above the front line and able to reach some of the Thai airfields used by the Japanese. The establishment of a robust radar and early warning system was the next priority to be completed, and was on course to be so.
Forgot that Sungai Petani had an airstrip..and it looks like the airstrip had been upgraded for it have somethings they never had at all at any point IOTL...no comment about the future of the Sungai Petani airstrip sine I don't know really know that much about that particular airstrip.
The Blenheim bombers had given a great service, but were becoming more and more obsolescent. The Desert Air Force was meant to be receiving Martin Baltimores, but they would carry on with the older Marylands in the meantime. The Baltimores were now being earmarked for India and Malaya, with No 223 Squadron RAF being an Operational Training Unit working in India. No 52 and 55 RAF and No 454 and 459 Squadrons RAAF, withdrawn from the Middle East were currently training on the Lend Lease aircraft. These four squadrons would be based in Malaya, arriving sometime in May/June, to provide 12th Army with reconnaissance/bomber support. More squadrons would transition in due course and support General Alexander’s command.

Pulford was able to report that Bristol Beauforts and Beaufighters were increasingly active. The Beauforts were acting in the maritime reconnaissance/torpedo bombing role, while the Beaufighters were a mixture of night fighters and long-range fighters. The arrival of two squadrons of Wellingtons, now based in Singapore, with two more to follow, at long last gave the RAF the kind of offensive bombing capability that it desperately needed. All in all, Pulford was quite upbeat about the situation in his area of command. He did note that Spitfires had finally been shipped out of England and were operational on Malta. It was his greatest desire to see the arrival of these fighters in Malaya, but, he admitted, he wouldn’t hold his breath!
Well it would take a miracle for the Spitfire to even have see action at Malaya...and the Spitfire are overkill for the Japanese...
Another Malayan update has been done

Mosquitoes were found to be a major problem in the Far East, as the glue used to bind the layers of wood together that they were made of, both degraded in the damp heat, and being glued together with casein based glue a natural product which made them highly susceptible to mould. So I doubt that they will be used in the region, until the problems have been resolved.

RR.
Hello,

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
Hello,

The date in the T/L is at present April 42 and while I don’t know what date de Havilland switched from using the casein natural glue to the artificial urea-formaldehyde Airolite. I however given that the Mosquito only entered service in November 1940, I doubt that the problems with the natural glue and its replacement with an artificial glue had taken place as yet.

RR.

Spits are not overkill...but they would be able to go Toe to Toe with Zeros and best them in a way Hurricanes never could. Eric Brown said the A6M was the finest fighter in the world in 1942. But a Spitfire has some advantages over it still then. The zero's huge advantage is range, they can pop up anywhere and loiter, but that's not the war Japan is now fighting. It's early summer 42 back in Blighty and the RAF is desperate to get MkIXs into servive numbers to face the Fw190. . It would "take a miracle"? Well there has been one, No Germans in NA. OTL interim MKVIIIs and other were sent to Malta and NA. Why not now send them , or Vs to where the action is. Hurricanes aren't the sitting ducks that Brewsters were but are really struggling against a Zero/ Oscar. Zoom and Boom is hard to implement when you don't have much Zoom. Even a Spit V has advantages at altitude over the Zero/ Oscar. OTL the distances involved in Island hopping and no forward bases to operate off made deploying Spits impractical. Now though with the Thai/Malaya border and airfields in much closer proximity - it can be the finest intercepter that it is born to be. Keep the new ones for FW190s and send a squadron (or two, or three) to Malaysia. RAF Radar too to coordinate ..and you have Zippos over SE Asia a lot earlier than the Tukey shoot OTL. Most likely opponent is the Oscar - The Army Zero - Ki43. Very similar to Zero and more than a match for a Hurricane. But I'd rather be in a V or better yet VIII/ IX.

Hello,

Err the article is paywalled though I could check the archives...
hmm...the Wikipedia page does mention some of the problems (fuselage shrinkage due to humidity is one of the problem...)
and I do found a weird anecdote that said the glue itself could be eaten by bugs..
The date in the T/L is at present April 42 and while I don’t know what date de Havilland switched from using the casein natural glue to the artificial urea-formaldehyde Airolite. I however given that the Mosquito only entered service in November 1940, I doubt that the problems with the natural glue and its replacement with an artificial glue had taken place as yet.

RR.
The change was made in 1943 if the anecdote was true...hopefully the change could be made earlier ITTL...

RR.
Aerolite was developed prior to the Mosquito. I had trouble finding the exact date it replaced casein but best guess would be in 1942. It was more a question of developing a faster curing version of Aerolite than Aerolite itself.

Probably best to break the Japanese and if possible get the Thai's out of the war and then move into Indochina. All things that can be done with secondary or older forces. Then in Europe take a year to build up (probably with a few experimental landings on easy targets but not the full blown Italian campaign) and massage France and possibly Italy to change sides/rise when they launch a hammer and anvil attack from East and West in 1944.

That gives a year for rest and refit and also without the steamroller coming the other way Normandy could find itself properly opposed.
Stalin is going to be putting the screws on, though, wanting to see action somewhere European, so he's not left fighting the entire land war in Europe on his own.

Stalin is going to be putting the screws on, though, wanting to see action somewhere European, so he's not left fighting the entire land war in Europe on his own.
TBH will Stalin have the same flex he had OTL? Britian isn't in the same dire straights as it was OTL and its pushing back in the east and has beaten the Germans and Italians in Africa so I imagine their will be push back until they are good and ready.

DUKE makes perfect sense if your talking about any combination of British and/or Empire forces with Dutch forces.

As soon as you add American involvement ABDA becomes the term to use.

DUKE does make sense in certain circumstances to make sure that the reader knows that American forces are not involved and as such that will inform how decisions are made and who by.