Sketch of a Roman colony in North America

Lucius Julius Mento [invented name] is general in Britannia. He receives private word that his brother Sextus is going to try for the purple rising in revolt on the other side of the Empire, so he stops the tribute flowing from Britannia. He also gets his legion ready for action, ready to help his brother when the latter's army approaches Rome.

Unfortunately for the family, the revolt is quickly put down.

Lucius receives word of the failure, and takes action. He knows HE can't succeed in revolt, and he knows that as soon as the Emperor gets around to cleaning up loose ends, he's going to be executed. He sends polite refusals for 'requests' that he return to Rome. Instead, he gathers up the tribute that he had held back.

He figures the emperor won't invade until spring, and so uses the late fall and early winter to prepare. He requisitions local ships, and has more built. These are of the Veneti type that can actually (more or less) deal with the Atlantic. [Said ships were still being built some more than 3 centuries after the ships Caesar described: http://museums.gov.gg/romanship[URL]http://museums.gov.gg/romanship)[/URL]

He announces to his people that his ancestor Venus appeared to him in a dream and told him to sail west to the Hesperides, and conquer new land for Rome. [1) Most of the rank and file don't know he's a traitor to Rome, or at least the current emperor, and his closest officers know - and are afraid for their lives too.] [2) speculation by later historians range from 'he heard rumours of a land out west' to 'well, island chains like the Canaries, Hebrides, etc., were known, so he may have thought SOMETHING had to be out there' to 'I've got no clue if anything's out there, but I'd rather die heroically than be beheaded in disgrace']

So he loads up his ships with livestock and grain, a handful of civilians (smiths, miners, a couple of local farmers and the like), his staff and their families, if they were in Britain, and as many soldiers as he can (let's say 2-4 centuries).

They set sail across the Atlantic. Something like half the ships are lost on the crossing, and some of the survivors are scattered. But a nucleus which contains a century of soldiers, and at least one male and female of horses, cows and sheep survive. The survivors plant their seeds, and largely live on fish until their crops come up. They also erect palisades as fortification for defence.
They make contact with local tribes, forming alliances with some and together conquering some of their neighbours.

This early in time, the locals will be hunter-gardeners, with Chenopodium crops, but probably not the Three Sisters of maize/beans/squash.

Friendly tribes marry off daughters to the newcomers, and conquered tribes provide women as slaves.

Iron ores, even if in small quantities, are wide enough spread (including ochre which the locals will already use for decoration), that making iron tools will not be difficult. Miners can spend a few years with friendly guides looking for other ores, like copper and lead/silver.

Roman discipline holds, the town survives and grows. Possibly they find survivors from a scattered ship or two, and incorporate them into their growing state.

By the second generation, the population is over half native, genetically, between local wives and concubines for the overwhelmingly male Romans on the one hand, and locals who join (better tools, better crops, protection from enemy tribes. Lots of reasons to join up.)

Language is Latin, but there is a growing discrepancy between the official, Classical Latin of the officer (soon to be labelled Senatorial) class and written documents, and the general population whose speech is more creolized with every generation.

The ships used for crossing were well worn on arrival, and repairing them took second priority to survival. Building small boats and ships for fishing, for instance, was much more important. It might even be that Lucius, or one of his officers, arranged an 'accidental' fire or other damage to reduce the chances of word getting back to Rome too early. Not that he's too worried. The crossing was bad enough he doubts that Rome will divert the effort needed to conquer his established colony.

The usual Roman progress ensues. We're attacked by our neighbours, so we conquer them and absorb them into our system. Then THEIR neighbours attack, rinse and repeat.

Between their 1) iron tools, 2) social discipline and 3) domestic animals (wool, leather, meat, beasts of burden, draft animals, and manure for fields), the Roman colony has major advantages over local societies, and grows in numbers and in area.

Over the centuries, New Rome expands from its initial foothold to cover a sizable chunk of the North American seaboard, and portions inland.

Again, over the centuries, occasionally explorers, malcontents or 'loyal Romans' try to cross the Atlantic back to Europe, but the loss of ocean going ships (coastal shipping is the most this colony needs) means that such attempts are even less successful than the original colonization.

Contact is maintained, very, very intermittently. Europe knows of Nova Roma, and vice versa, but they can't really interact much.

When the Old World Christianizes, a couple of missionary bishops are sent out to proselytize Nova Roma. That gives slightly more incentive to maintain contact, but even the New World Christians drift theologically from the Papacy, and then the incentive for contact decreases.

When sea faring tech gets good enough (similar to Columbus's caravels) more contact opens up, but the New Romans are populous enough, and have good enough tech, that they can't simply be taken over like OTL's colonization of the New World.

From what regions will the settlers come from proportionally? Is it possible that a 'roman' colony in North America could be Celtic speaking?

From what regions will the settlers come from proportionally? Is it possible that a 'roman' colony in North America could be Celtic speaking?
The ruling class and military, the majority of the colonists, would be Latin speaking, so no.

Sure, technical vocabulary in mining and boat building, say, would be loaded with British loan words, and, of course there will be LOTS of local loan words (from whatever Algonkian language the locals speak) for plants and animals and placenames.

My guess is the basic language might look a lot like modern Italian in structure, but loaded with loan words (like French is with Frankish, or like Romanian is with Slavic and even Hungarian).

Grammatical gender is going to be affected. Unlike existing Romance languages, you're not likely to keep masculine and feminine, with neuter folded in to masculine.

Since the native grammatical 'genders' are animate and inanimate, either masculine and feminine merge, as an animate, leaving neuter for inanimate, or, more likely grammatical gender just disappears, as it has in modern English.

----
Sea voyages are going to be difficult enough that you're not going to get any significant amount of further settlers.

I like it, but there is something I think has been ignored - the reaction of those centuries who survive when they realise they're either not going home, or that they've been duped. Heck, their reaction to the brutality of the voyage.

Further, where are they landing? There is a LOT of eastern seaboard, and the locations they are likely to land in do matter to the success of the colony. But I can see that being handled by artistic license reasonably plausibly.

However, some changes to when they'd land - at least changes that'd make sense to me.

1) They inevitably build a standard fort. Sure it is basically a palisade, but it is far more likely than just throwing one up, and it'd be more secure than most locations in the area as a result of its trenches and guards. Turns out being a military operation has its advantages.

2) None of the early days really makes it fair to call it a growing "state" it isn't even a city-state. It's a potentially coastal fort that more likely than not will pull a repeat of the Rape of the Sabines, primarily because if they're going to stay, they're going to figure out they need lots of children, and the balance of "peacefully acquired" to "men of the tribe slaughtered, and then they're all kidnapped" will be much higher.

3) That fort they have will either have to move to a better location for agriculture too, and that I expect will be a weird blend of barracks, latifundia, and local practice, and that'll determine the survivability of the civilians.

I think that you can't really take the basic sketch beyond the "survivors" unless you've basically created a (relatively) colossal second generation to really start things going, and I can only see that happening by the Romans being exceptionally aggressive in acquiring brides, and to be frank - prostitutes. Roman monogamy makes the likelyhood of multiple marriages unlikely, but I could see Lucius ordering women to be taken to fill a "state-run" brothel - which would more accurately be described as sex-slavery.

My biggest question, and considering the brutality of the early days this may seem odd, is "What are the people using as currency?" The soldiers are stranded and are still promised land as payment, sure - but what will be used as pay/currency for people they rule? If it is gold coinage - where is it coming from? The Romans come from a world very much like that, and without an answer I fear you're looking at a balance of barter-for-service, and barter-for-protection.

Honestly, I think Lucius isn't likely to survive the early days, without some extremely good manoeuvring simply because he needs to answer all these questions, and that won't be easy to effectively build a settlement with absolutely no support.

I like it, but there is something I think has been ignored - the reaction of those centuries who survive when they realise they're either not going home, or that they've been duped. Heck, their reaction to the brutality of the voyage.
Lucius said upfront that they were establishing a new colony. And, in any case, I believe legionaries tended to settle where they mustered out, so they wouldn't really expect to be sent back to Italy or Syria or wherever they came from.
Common soldiers are at least as likely to be as loyal to their general as to an Emperor they have never seen. Even if it leaks out that the Julii Mentones were planning on seeking the purple, I don't think the average soldier's going to care

The miners and .other impressed Britons? The impressment will have been pretty straight forward. You're coming or you die, say. They'll grumble a lot, but what can they do.
Impressed sailors, otoh, might well try to go back, which is why those ships might just burn. accidentally, honest, gov.

Further, where are they landing? There is a LOT of eastern seaboard, and the locations they are likely to land in do matter to the success of the colony. But I can see that being handled by artistic license reasonably plausibly.
For the purposes of this sketch, it doesn't matter. Almost anywhere between Nova Scotia and Virginia should be fine. Sure, some places will have better access to specific ores and the like, but there are very many places that would do.
2) None of the early days really makes it fair to call it a growing "state" it isn't even a city-state. It's a potentially coastal fort that more likely than not will pull a repeat of the Rape of the Sabines, primarily because if they're going to stay, they're going to figure out they need lots of children, and the balance of "peacefully acquired" to "men of the tribe slaughtered, and then they're all kidnapped" will be much higher.
Well, village state, to start with.... True enough. But they're Romans with all the massive arrogance and chauvinism that implies. I imagine their population will double every generation or so, like the US colonists did by natural increase.

Assume a couple of hundred Romans. Assume, over the next few years that many local women and slaves added. You're now at 4-500 people. Assume that doubles every 25 years, that's 6400 after a century, 400,000 after two, over 6 million by three...

While 'Rape of the Sabine Women' is a distinct possibility, especially if first contact goes bad, it's also not necessary.
The local tribe, if friendly, will beg to marry off their daughters for access to iron tools. Ever try chopping down a tree with stone axes?
Even more, they'll step up raiding their local enemies for slaves to sell to the Romans. Again for iron tools.

"What are the people using as currency?" The soldiers are stranded and are still promised land as payment, sure - but what will be used as pay/currency for people they rule? If it is gold coinage - where is it coming from?
Well, for the first years, it's all command economy. But one if the things mentioned in the sketch was looking for ores. They should be able to find copper maybe by 5 years in, again possibly small deposits would suffice at first. They can use that for copper coinage at first. Eventually, surely by the end of the first generation, they'll have found silver ores, which should give them silver for coinage and probably lead for lots of domestic uses.
Gold, I admit, is rather unlikely for several generations. They might end up trading south for it.