Sports What Ifs.

What about: Senna lives, Schumacher dies?
When we answered differently, depend how senna lives, let's say the crash happen but he survived and is fine, the spook hope like otl improved security measures so senna might get into racing maybe 10 years more, maybe longer, Schumacher depend when? his otl 2010 scare? his ski accident? or early, again if he die in his prime expect to see even more secuirity scrutiny and measures in F1.

When we answered differently, depend how senna lives, let's say the crash happen but he survived and is fine, the spook hope like otl improved security measures so senna might get into racing maybe 10 years more, maybe longer, Schumacher depend when? his otl 2010 scare? his ski accident? or early, again if he die in his prime expect to see even more secuirity scrutiny and measures in F1.

I was thinking about a mirror version of Senna's 1994 incident, with Schumacher losing his life there instead of Senna.

I was thinking about a mirror version of Senna's 1994 incident, with Schumacher losing his life there instead of Senna.
As say before the year is vital, as would change things, as say before if Senna lives and Schumacher dies the later death might be the cataclysm to improved security even more. The rest a tragery for the sport and several title are now wide open.

I say as the biggest loser here are the steelers as they loss big ben meaning their 2004 is doomed, unless they got matt schaub or something, regardless they would be in prime position to get either Alex smith or aaron rodgers.

Without steelers both palmer and eli if the ravens trade for him, would be in prime position in 2004-2005 playoffs, and palmer would never get his torn acl, So good for him even if he never become a Cardinal.

Back to eli, how his career would be in baltimore?.

Agreed. Pittsburgh would probably be bad enough to get A-Rod. However, if they passed on him, and if they don't end up with Brees the next year in FA, they may have to draft someone like Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart in 06. If it's Cutler, they may have a chance to win a ring with that D. If it's Leinart, they are in big trouble.

As for Eli, I think that he would have had a fairly good career in Baltimore, especially if TO is forced to be a Raven by the NFL, and Lewis and Ogden do a good job of keeping him in line (as well as maybe Reed and Suggs). He probably has as many or more SB rings.

Agreed. Pittsburgh would probably be bad enough to get A-Rod. However, if they passed on him, and if they don't end up with Brees the next year in FA, they may have to draft someone like Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart in 06. If it's Cutler, they may have a chance to win a ring with that D. If it's Leinart, they are in big trouble.

As for Eli, I think that he would have had a fairly good career in Baltimore, especially if TO is forced to be a Raven by the NFL, and Lewis and Ogden do a good job of keeping him in line (as well as maybe Reed and Suggs). He probably has as many or more SB rings.
As say before depens a lot of things but pittsburg future without Big Uncle Ben or Rivers(or matt schaub if they think in get it) will be difficult, and not to offend Tommy Maddox, Again those are interesting choices(and much i would want to shove the mega bust leinhart was fur us cardinals in any other team) but pittsburg is more of the sidelines in the Eli story in the AFC North.

Wonder how Ravens-Patriots rilvaty would be, and later Manning vs Manning in the AFC, as you say, i can imagine eli in 07 or 08 doing a superbowl run either destroying pats perfect season in the AFC playoffs and facing big-ben giants and maybe us Cardinals(or big ben again) in 08, umm maybe in 06 Eli destroy his bro chances of a ring before falling to rivers? the possibilities are endless, worthy a tl itself.

Last edited:

I can't see them being bad enough to draft at or near #1. They made two AFC championship games with Kordell Stewart, and they were 15-1 with a rookie quarterback. Most likely the defense plus the Bus keeps them respectable. People also forget Eli was turrible, just turrible, his first three seasons.

Most likely outcome is the Steelers can't quite get over the hump.

I can't see them being bad enough to draft at or near #1. They made two AFC championship games with Kordell Stewart, and they were 15-1 with a rookie quarterback. Most likely the defense plus the Bus keeps them respectable. People also forget Eli was turrible, just turrible, his first three seasons.

Most likely outcome is the Steelers can't quite get over the hump.

A-Rod fell to the Packers at pick 24 in the 05 draft, so the Steelers didn't need the #1 overall pick to get him. Also, they were 6-10 in 2003, and didn't figure to do much better in 2004 until Ben came in and carried that team (The Bus was about washed-up by that point).

What about: Senna lives, Schumacher dies?

At Imola in 94? I had Ratzenberger and Hill dying in my The Man from Sao Paulo, (rebooting this summer). ITTL, Senna living continued the pressure on investigating Benetton's traction control. Schumacher dying instead of Hill ot Senna IOTL would've curtailed the investigation, as Schumi by '93 with Prost retired, Mansell in IndyCar, Hakkinen stuck with Peugeot, Hill as a de facto tailgunner, and Ferrari in the doldrums, MSC was the #1 challenger, and you'd still see the massive overhauls in safety.

On the flipside, winning '94 in a walk, possibly the two after that, so the end of '96 would put Senna ahead of everyone in WDC's, wins, and poles, but Senna likely would've been burned out enough, (he was slowly getting there IOTL) to leave F1 at the end of his Williams contract, or do a year at Ferrari before doing something like IndyCar or endurance racing.

In The Man From Sao Paulo, Ratzenberger and Hill dying shift the focus to safety as well, but ITTL, he left McLaren after winning his third title when he found out Honda was leaving at the end of '92, going to Williams while Patrese went to McLaren. Dealing with the capabilities of the FW14/15 generation firsthand alerts Senna to the reality that it will be too dominant to last long, and suggests to Head and Newey to start looking at a parallel project for the day the electronic aids are banned. By 94, Williams is ready, but Senna's stress on safety has Williams at a weight disadvantage, (well, parity, with the traction control at Benetton), and a points system that has ties to the current format and most recent before, and let's just say I have the points already tallied, and it's very close at the end.

Following yesterday's events at Augusta, this might be an interesting one to think about...

[Chicago, IL] Sergio Garcia won the USPGA Championship at Medinah Country Club, beating Tiger Woods in a playoff with a birdie at the first playoff hole. The 19-year-old Spaniard came from five shots behind with seven holes to play as Woods imploded down the stretch. Garcia's swashbuckling play, highlighted by his eyes-closed recovery shot from the roots of a tree on the 16th and sprint up the fairway to see the result, was a stark contrast to Woods' struggles over the last few holes, with bogeys at 12, 16 and 17 (*) and a double bogey at the 13th

(*) The potential PoD - Woods missed the green at the par 3 17th and hit a relatively poor chip, but made the 8-footer for par, then made a regulation par at the 18th to win by 1.

So news about Tony http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-become-a-cardinal-if-he-followed-the-money/ so tony wanted illionis friends rather money, but for all bird watchers @Colonel Zoidberg @Blue Hurricane @AltSptHst he would be? he would sit behind the innefective mccown and we would get still Larry but again... would Tony take us as far as general warner?

The Cards might have had a few more chances and maybe could have had a stronger showing in 2015. I don't know if they could have pulled it off in 2008 but maybe a different year with no QB questions.

The Cards might have had a few more chances and maybe could have had a stronger showing in 2015. I don't know if they could have pulled it off in 2008 but maybe a different year with no QB questions.
the best of this...we don't draft matt leinhart, meaning we could pursue a RB, another WR(Santonio Holmes is still in the board) or a OL Defensive pick, so we avoid that bullet even if might not get the magic of general warner...08 we might get till eagles, depend, 11, 13,14 and even 15 would be special years. but again not matt leinhart means not wasted pick, loss warner but that is a sacrifice....

the best of this...we don't draft matt leinhart, meaning we could pursue a RB, another WR(Santonio Holmes is still in the board) or a OL Defensive pick, so we avoid that bullet even if might not get the magic of general warner...08 we might get till eagles, depend, 11, 13,14 and even 15 would be special years. but again not matt leinhart means not wasted pick, loss warner but that is a sacrifice....

For '08 I more was thinking about the Cards getting through the NFC playoffs, but with Santonio for Romo to throw to, that team wins it if they make it that far.

Here's another NFL What if that I just thought of that doesn't get enough attention: What if Dan Marino didn't get hurt in Cleveland in 1993?

Here's another NFL What if that I just thought of that doesn't get enough attention: What if Dan Marino didn't get hurt in Cleveland in 1993?
Dolphins without Marino were 9-2 at thanksgiving, with him they might get 13-3 and snatch first see and displace bills to wildcard, kicking broncos or steeler out of it, marino might avoid bills getting their four superbowl but would he beat the cowboys? is possible a close win or loss and regardless give an amazing performance.

Dolphins without Marino were 9-2 at thanksgiving, with him they might get 13-3 and snatch first see and displace bills to wildcard, kicking broncos or steeler out of it, marino might avoid bills getting their four superbowl but would he beat the cowboys? is possible a close win or loss and regardless give an amazing performance.

With Marino, I see them winning the next three games against the Giants, Steelers (a loss that would turn out to be their playoff death knell), and the Bills to go 12-2 and wrap up the AFC East. Then, after a lackluster effort at SD that they mail in (they rest Marino and other starters for the majority of the game), they win at NE in Week 17 to go 13-3 and clinch the home field in the AFC.

As a result, here is the AFC Seeding: 1. Dolphins 2. Oilers 3. Chiefs 4. Bills 5. Raiders 6. Broncos

In the WC Round, the Raiders upset the Bills (the weather would have been 10 degrees warmer the week before in Buffalo), and the Chiefs beat the Broncos.

Then, in the next round, the Dolphins would have hosted the Raiders, and the Oilers still host the Chiefs. That results in a KC-Mia AFC Title (Montana vs. Marino), which Miami wins.

I also think that the Dolphins would have defeated the Cowboys because Aikman wasn't quite himself in that game (from concussions). As a result, Shula retires with another ring and the all-time wins record, and Marino gets the monkey off his back. Also, with little playing time, the Lions don't throw large sums of money at Scott Mitchell, and he remains Marino's backup for another year (at least).

I also think that the Dolphins would have defeated the Cowboys because Aikman wasn't quite himself in that game (from concussions). As a result, Shula retires with another ring and the all-time wins record, and Marino gets the monkey off his back.
And everybody goes home happy, marino got his ring, the bills avoid the 0-4 embarasment at superbowl and nothing of value was lost, quite an happy ending @Colonel Zoidberg isn't it?

What if Doug Flutie started over Rob Johnson and there was no Music City Miracle?

What if Flutie then leads the Bills over the Rams in the Superbowl?

And everybody goes home happy, marino got his ring, the bills avoid the 0-4 embarasment at superbowl and nothing of value was lost, quite an happy ending @Colonel Zoidberg isn't it?

Indeed. 13-3 is optimistic but doable. The Giants and Steelers were close losses, and assuming they beat the Bills they have it made. I think the Dolphins would have beaten the Raiders or Bills, either one, at home in the playoffs, and they always had KC's number, so they get the Cowboys, who were off their game in the first half IOTL and could end up down as much as 21-6. They'll never come back from that, especially against a team that beat them in the snow on Thanksgiving, so Marino gets a ring and Aikman has to wait for two.

The big question is this - if Marino is himself in '94, can the Dolphins repeat?