Star Trek at 40-What it means to you.

I know its a couple days early but since Star Trek will be turning 40 on September 8th I figured we could use a thread where Trekkers,Trekkies and all others who have had a passing interest in the saga during the past 40 years can post their thoughts,feelings and hopes for Star Trek now and in the future.

Let the Adventure Continue !

I know its a couple days early but since Star Trek will be turning 40 on September 8th I figured we could use a thread where Trekkers,Trekkies and all others who have had a passing interest in the saga during the past 40 years can post their thoughts,feelings and hopes for Star Trek now and in the future.

Unfortunately, if they keep prducing crap like Enterprise (UPN-TV), on the misplaced notion that if you put something with a Klingon, the occasional Orion slave girl, or an out-of-work model claiming to be a Vulcan, people will immediately watch. Just remember that half the reason people remember Star Trek:Voyager (UPN-TV) was the ability of Gerri Ryan to find new ways to wear next to nothing as "Seven of Nine". Without her, the franchise would have died faster....

HelloLegend

Banned

Star Trek MEANT (past tense) a lot to me UNTIL
Brannon Braga and Rick Berman started messing with the formula.

Since I'm 41, I can I feel a bit nostalgic about everything related to the serie. Enjoyed it most with the original serie and later with the New Generation. The movies, on the other hand, were not that good.

Chris

Banned
Since I'm 41, I can I feel a bit nostalgic about everything related to the serie. Enjoyed it most with the original serie and later with the New Generation. The movies, on the other hand, were not that good.

I used to love it. Now only a handful of eps keep my attention.

Chris

HelloLegend

Banned
Unfortunately, if they keep prducing crap like Enterprise (UPN-TV), on the misplaced notion that if you put something with a Klingon, the occasional Orion slave girl, or an out-of-work model claiming to be a Vulcan, people will immediately watch. Just remember that half the reason people remember Star Trek:Voyager (UPN-TV) was the ability of Gerri Ryan to find new ways to wear next to nothing as "Seven of Nine". Without her, the franchise would have died faster....

We used different words to describe the same idea.

MrP

Banned
I remember being terribly disappointed that Miss Ryan wasn't as adventurous as her politician husband was. It's strange that The Telegraph tells one about people's private lives to such a degree . . .

TOS....Hilarious.
Its really weird how all the modern series take themselves so seriously and try and cover future politics and all that in a seirous way.
TOS however was just a sub-Dr.Who monster and moral message of the week, undefined world type thing :D

Susano

Banned
Terrible, terrible concept, background universe and serie build-up. Understandable for the 60s, maybe, but it never should have survived past that. Has a bad influence on sci-fi even nowadays.

I used to watch it some, and thus if I am knowledgeable on some things ST thats not in contradiction to this opinion ;) - but over the years, I came to realise more and more how terrible it is if you contrast it with other SF.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
All SF is welcome to me, even if it is not that great, or the stories are not ones that I like. I'll watch anything me :p

TOS for me is the best as I grew up with it, and the vibrant primary colours and camaraderie between Kirk, Spock and McCoy are timeless for me.

TNG was pretty good, it got better and better. Always liked the interaction between Data and Geordi. Wish Dr Pulaski had stayed on in some capacity though.

DS9 had some great characters, and liked the concept...just wished they had made more out of the Dominion War...I mean where was the damn Enterprise? Flagship of the fleet, and not present in battles...could have done better guys, and could have had more battles too! Apart from that, damn good.

Voyager is the one I like almost as much as TOS, and not because of Seven. Finally, a female captain who kicks arse, and a fantastically smug Doctor. And an Asian-American in a much bigger role than George Takei's Sulu, something that I was wanting a lot more of. Thanks for that guys.

Enterprise...got mixed feelings about this one. I could accept it as AH due to the events in First Contact, and what Zefram Cochrane saw there. However, the whole Xindi thing was somewhat unnecessary I thought. Emphasis on Earth's relations with the Romulans and events of the Romulan War would have been nice. Less emphasis on the Klingons, definitely no Borg, and more utilisation of other TOS races. No meeting of races only later encountered by TNG etc. The good things: liked Phlox and Hoshi, wish more had been done with Hoshi though, liked the final season where it got back to it's roots with the mirror universe, Gorn, Tellarites and other stuff. Should have been more of that. Shran and the Andorians were done well. Didn't like Trip's death, it was a very poor way to write out a character, and thought the last episode was a cop out. Overall, the series had some really great bits, but was a wasted opportunity, and could have been so much more.

Star Trek: Animated Series, pretty damn good, and they were free to illustrate things that could not be easily done with special effects at the time. Wish Chekov had been in it though.

All the movies are fine, with the exception of V, which apparently did not get made the way Shatner wanted it to be made, as the studio had other ideas, and cut a lot of stuff out. They also made certain the ending was not what Shatner intended by not providing enough funds to finish it properly. The book shows what could have happened on screen, and is a pretty good read.

Sargon

Well, I love TNG and DS9, and I've even got a grudging affection for TOS. With Voyager, I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't make more out of the concept, and I think that the series went on about 1-2 seasons too long. I just found Enterprise really disappointing, and it seemed more like some generic sci-fi series than Star Trek. Right now, I think the best thing for the series would be to hold off on making new shows and movies, and concentrate on the novels. Pocket Books has finally got some decent editors, and a lot of the stuff published in the last six years has been pretty good. It worked for Star Wars, and it might work for Star Trek too.

Are you dissing Orion Slave Girls and Jeri Ryan?:mad:

Holy George Lucas!

From: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2003246750_startrek07.html

Starting Sept. 16, CBS Paramount Domestic Television will begin airing the 79 original "Star Trek" episodes in syndication — remastered in high-definition and with new CGI special effects that update space-ship exteriors, space battles, galaxy shots seen through the Enterprise view screen, and the endearingly cheap-looking alien planet backdrops. They're even re-recording the theme song with a new vocalist. So does Greedo shoot at Solo first? Oh, wait ...

Apparently the first episode shown with the new effects will be "Balance of Terror"