Terror in Littleton: How a tragedy shaped a nation

What a dystopian TL. That's all I can say.

I bet every kid and teen is cursing the names of Eric and Dylan fpotr bringing this unto the nation.
Either that or they become "symbols of resistance" against the evil authorities since little attention will be paid to their backstory
Like the Che Guevara for the school shooters

kholieken

Banned
Eh, these policy appear to have actual public support. legislature enact laws, police and teacher initiate prosecution, judge and jury convict. I think vast majority of children is unaffected, those affected is who are "different" in temperament, taste, music, etc. Most Americans wouldn't be bothered by these.

Eh, these policy appear to have actual public support. legislature enact laws, police and teacher initiate prosecution, judge and jury convict. I think vast majority of children is unaffected, those affected is who are "different" in temperament, taste, music, etc. Most Americans wouldn't be bothered by these.
I'm different in a lot of ways...................

S##t................

Well how about this. What if children and teen just start decide to drop out of society and form homeless groups/encampments. Putting strain on everybody that depends on the system. Some might go sicko mode because an atmosphere like this will make the already seething hatred white hot. What if some kid gets disowned and thrown out of the house because of their rebellious nature. So they come back kill the parents, steal the money and burns the house down. And it's not just the kid's either, nutty whack jobs or anyone with an axe to grind against society may be inspired and start their own vengeance. Terrorism upon crackdowns, upon terrorism until the US becomes a third world country.

Is it possible it could be like the show Kid's Next Door if more realistic and very very violent.

Last edited:
Well how about this. What if children and teen just start decide to drop out of society and form homeless groups/encampments. Putting strain on everybody that depends on the system. Some might go sicko mode because an atmosphere like this will make the already seething hatred white hot. What if some kid gets disowned and thrown out of the house because of their rebellious nature. So they come back kill the parents, steal the money and burns the house down. And it's not just the kid's either, nutty whack jobs or anyone with an axe to grind against society may be inspired and start their own vengeance. Terrorism upon crackdowns, upon terrorism until the US becomes a third world country.

Is it possible it could be like the show Kid's Next Door if more realistic and very very violent.

That is NOT a TL I wanna live in......

But I'd imagine that these "homeless groups" would grow quickly, but the US becoming a third world country is just unbelievable.......

That is NOT a TL I wanna live in......

But I'd imagine that these "homeless groups" would grow quickly, but the US becoming a third world country is just unbelievable.......
Well maybe a third world country status is not the right word, but young people actively resisting participating in society and revenge tactics? Further down the line the adults will become weaker and more frail due to the complications associated with aging or other medical problems. The young will become the new adults and become stronger than them. I wonder how they would react knowing that they might have screwed up the country's future because when they are forced to give the keys to kingdom to the next generation, they might just break it and make them choke on it.

And what about adult crime? Like those who are already adults when the incident happen? If the kid's are getting the book beaten to death in them, I can only dread what would happen with the current prison population (adults)

Funny you mention the mental state. Just this morning, I had another scary thought - what about juveniles getting sent to a psychiatric facility instead of prison?

There seems to be a misconception here in the USA that a criminal found not guilty by reason of insanity is getting off easy. They are NOT! There are criminals incarcerated in secure psychiatric hospitals (having security measures rivaling prisons) even today that would have been released ages ago had they been convicted of criminal charges.

More unscrupulous prosecutors and judges could even decide to put juvenile offenders in a psychiatric hospital rather than have them "getting off easy" with just a few years in juvie prison. A teenager convicted under zero tolerance laws might spend only 2-5 years in a juvenile prison but spend double or triple that time in a psycho ward at the very least...with the possibility that they will NEVER leave at all.

And what about adult crime? Like those who are already adults when the incident happen? If the kid's are getting the book beaten to death in them, I can only dread what would happen with the current prison population (adults)
What about the potential fallout on society of having a bunch of young adults who already have serious criminal records thanks to all the overzealous enforcement and prosecution of school misbehavior?

American society tends to look down very heavily on those with (felony) criminal records, so we're almost certainly going to have tens of thousands of 20-somethings who are released from jail (or at least pleaded guilty to their alleged crimes to avoid jail time), have nowhere to go since their families don't want to put up with their violent/anti-social behavior, and are going to have severe trouble getting even the most menial jobs (much less any other higher-paying career opportunities) because they won't pass the background checks. That's going to potentially cascade into other societal problems, including homelessness, crime, drug use, prostitution/sex trafficking, and more. America come 2010 ITTL might not look too pretty, especially for the adults who got caught in the hypercharged criminal justice system . . .

What about the potential fallout on society of having a bunch of young adults who already have serious criminal records thanks to all the overzealous enforcement and prosecution of school misbehavior?

American society tends to look down very heavily on those with (felony) criminal records, so we're almost certainly going to have tens of thousands of 20-somethings who are released from jail (or at least pleaded guilty to their alleged crimes to avoid jail time), have nowhere to go since their families don't want to put up with their violent/anti-social behavior, and are going to have severe trouble getting even the most menial jobs (much less any other higher-paying career opportunities) because they won't pass the background checks. That's going to potentially cascade into other societal problems, including homelessness, crime, drug use, prostitution/sex trafficking, and more. America come 2010 ITTL might not look too pretty, especially for the adults who got caught in the hypercharged criminal justice system . . .
Politians and rich and influential people: *Smugass tone.* This doesn’t affect me at all!

ITTL, I bet the hate against those of the Boomer Generation will be more common, more pronounced and more accepted by the younger generation.

kholieken

Banned
While harsher penalties and aggressive enforcement would affect millions of children negatively, it possible US school would improve as whole. East Asia school is much more disciplined than american standard. Private school often much better than public school simply because they can expel disruptive student. Many student lives could be improved by having bully / violent student aggressively targeted by teacher. Overpolicing and Underpolicing can both be bad for student. School treated children problem more seriously would have positive and negative result.

Since other types of media is involved, what does this mean for animation, specifically since we were at the peak of the action cartoon, adult cartoons were becoming mainstream and anime was the "it" thing?

Good question, I haven't studied how the animation industry might be affected specifically, so if you have some specific examples in mind then let me know and I would be happy to get back to you on it.

What a dystopian TL. That's all I can say.

I bet every kid and teen is cursing the names of Eric and Dylan fpotr bringing this unto the nation.

Them and every politician who signed off on the atrocious legislation (which I'd like to remind everyone nearly passed OTL and failed only because of gun control measures) and the school teachers and administrators, police, judges, and others who happily went along with it.

I could see a mass emigration from the US to say, Canada or even Japan.
I think as soon as either me or my folks could afford it, we'd move out of the country..........

Unless moving to another country is banned ITTL...........

It wouldn't be banned, no. As I pointed out before though some of the same zero tolerance policies were adopted by non-American countries (the Anglosphere especially), and while it wouldn't be as severe in implementation or scope there will be bleedthrough when it comes to prosecuting juveniles too. Canada would actually be the country that has the most changes ITTL thanks to proximity to America (and later events we'll get into).

ITTL, there's a very real chance that Deuteronomy 21:18-21 will become law in the United States.

I hope this is humorous exaggeration because that'd be too bleak, lol!

At this point they’re just a thin line away from reopening the Manzanar concentration camp.

Sadly the conditions I described are nearly identical to OTL conditions in many juvenile detention centers across the US. The only difference is the scope and scale.

It's true that most students are not going to be expelled or arrested, and that this won't impact everyone. The damage will still be unfortunately large and wide reaching.

we're almost certainly going to have tens of thousands of 20-somethings who are released from jail (or at least pleaded guilty to their alleged crimes to avoid jail time), have nowhere to go since their families don't want to put up with their violent/anti-social behavior,

I think you'd be surprised at how many families of felons would gladly reaccept them, even in America. Otherwise the rest of your post is pretty much on point.

While harsher penalties and aggressive enforcement would affect millions of children negatively, it possible US school would improve as whole. East Asia school is much more disciplined than american standard. Private school often much better than public school simply because they can expel disruptive student. Many student lives could be improved by having bully / violent student aggressively targeted by teacher. Overpolicing and Underpolicing can both be bad for student. School treated children problem more seriously would have positive and negative result.

I don't know how East Asian schools function but I will say it's sadly naive to assume that bullies would always be expelled, even under very punitive policies. Many schools would gladly look the other way, especially if the bully is someone the school values (like a star athlete).

Good question, I haven't studied how the animation industry might be affected specifically, so if you have some specific examples in mind then let me know and I would be happy to get back to you on it.
I'm talking about the Toonami, the action cartoons, the anime like Pokemon, DBZ, Gundam, Evangelion, Ranma and stuff like, the adult cartoons, Adult Swim, Saturday Morning cartoons, television as a whole.