The Death of Russia - TL

He was at this point a junior officer, so presumably dead during the 2RCW or at best an officer in Lebed’s armies.
Uhm, avtually no. Guy was a commender of the Motor Rifle Division as of the 1993. In 1994 he commanded the withdrawal of the Division from Estonia to the Moscow Military District.

NSF was so insane that literally every ethnic republic realised that it is time jump from sinking boat. In OTL most republics remained loyal to Moscow since it was seen more useful or them hadn't way to pull themselves off. But ITTL them had to try. You just couldn't talk with these madmen.

Speaking of which, what is cinema like in the three rump states (Russia, Siberia, and the FEK)?
Probably heavily government subsidized just to keep any kind of Russophone culture going in the face of the demographic cataclysm of the war, the loss of influence overseas, and Ukraine and Belarus casting it aside in favor of their own languages. Domestic cinema will become a matter of national cultural preservation the way it is in a lot of European countries. Historical filmmaking will probably avoid the topics favored by the NSF governments for a while--might actually lead to a renaissance of Siberia-centric filmmaking. Something like Westerns, but set in 19th-century-and-earlier Siberia, might actually have a presence--take advantage of the dramatic scenery of the East and the man-vs-nature, small-scale stories they encourage. Historical dramas that focus on earlier history, or a whitewashed image of the westernizing Tsars (particularly in the Novgorod state, which wants to tie itself to Europe and also legitimize its monarchy)--Pyotr and Catherine. Escapism, but in the local language--the Soviet SF tradition might get some revival.

The FEK probably has rather strict decency laws about what's permitted, and government-subsidized Orthodox Christian propaganda films that make Pureflix look subtle, but there will be a thriving black market of imported Chinese and Japanese media, and Western media through those countries.

Something like Westerns, but set in 19th-century-and-earlier Siberia, might actually have a presence--take advantage of the dramatic scenery of the East and the man-vs-nature, small-scale stories they encourage.
On that note, there could also be movies influenced by Siberiade and all that ITTL that could be quite popular here.
Historical filmmaking will probably avoid the topics favored by the NSF governments for a while
Historical dramas that focus on earlier history, or a whitewashed image of the westernizing Tsars (particularly in the Novgorod state, which wants to tie itself to Europe and also legitimize its monarchy)--Pyotr and Catherine.
On that note, I could see dramas and works on the Russian Revolution to emphasize not just the Provisional Government or the Constituent Assembly being a body that was dominated by the SRs but the Komuch-led "democratic counter-revolution" or the left-wing anti-Bolshevik uprisings of the Green Armies (while they were largely peasant armies who wanted to be left alone, there were loosely aligned with the more radical elements of the SRs ideologically), the Left SR Uprising, the Tambov Rebellion, or the Kronstadt Mutiny to show the "Other Russia" (to paraphrase how Willy Brandt during his exile talked about the "Other Germany" he had never given up upon).

Last edited:
Hey @Sorairo,

Since all of us are discussing pop culture, how was the Scorpions song Wind of Change (1991) seen in 1999 (10th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall and 3 years after 4/10) vs the present day ITTL?
Is this a song Scorpions still sings in the 21st century ITTL?
I think the lyrics 'I follow the Moskva down to Gorky Park' would have some resonance to the Russian people and those who are fascinated with the ‘The Lost City of Moscow.’

Or is the song considered too 'distasteful' because of its 'naive optimism?'

Hey @Sorairo,

Since all of us are discussing pop culture, how was the Scorpions song Wind of Change (1991) seen in 1999 (10th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall and 3 years after 4/10) vs the present day ITTL?
Is this a song Scorpions still sings in the 21st century ITTL?
I think the lyrics 'I follow the Moskva down to Gorky Park' would have some resonance to the Russian people and those who are fascinated with the ‘The Lost City of Moscow.’

Or is the song considered too 'distasteful' because of its 'naive optimism?'
It has a new resonance after the millenium, since a lot of people are sure that 'Now is the end of history, since we know that extreme ideologies don't work' and are convinced that things won't chance much from the current world order.

It has a new resonance after the millenium, since a lot of people are sure that 'Now is the end of history, since we know that extreme ideologies don't work' and are convinced that things won't chance much from the current world order.
As of right now, has the Russian government made any plans to rebuild culturally significant cities such as Moscow and Saint Petersburg in the foreseeable future?
Or are they permanent exclusion zones like Berlin and Nuremberg in AANW, where the cities won't be inhabitable for hundreds of years?

The Hermitage Vault that was discovered had artifacts like the Bronze Horseman, are they currently sitting in a museum right now?
With no plans to 'return' them to Saint Petersburg?

Last edited:
As of right now, has the Russian government made any plans to rebuild culturally significant cities such as Moscow and Saint Petersburg in the foreseeable future?
Or are they permanent exclusion zones like Berlin and Nuremberg in AANW, where the cities won't be inhabitable for hundreds of years?

The Hermitage Vault that was discovered had artifacts like the Bronze Horseman, are they currently sitting in a museum right now?
With no plans to 'return' them to Saint Petersburg?
Moscow and St. Petersburg are slowly being rebuilt, but since most people have fled the cities the reconstruction is small-scale, but based on the Warsaw reconstruction. The idea is to have cities that resemble the old Moscow and St Petersburg by 2050 - radiation is mostly cleaned up.

The Hermitage vault is displayed in Pushkingrad.

Looking back, I really enjoyed the part of the story that shows an interview with Eiichiro Oda where he talks about how Nico Robin was inspired by the Russian Civil War and how she resonated with the Russian diaspora.

How we view people in the modern day does tend to affect how we depict them in media and it changes how we view them through a historical lense. It would've been easy to, during the Russian Civil War and after the nuclear strikes, depict Russians as savage brutes who deserved what happened to them.

It was great to see that some forms of media ITTL, like One Piece, did reassure Russian refugees that they aren't monsters.

That being said I do see a whole lot of resentment on the West for being the ones in control of the new world order though, especially those who've been on the short end of the stick thanks to Western colonialism.

That being said I do see a whole lot of resentment on the West for being the ones in control of the new world order though, especially those who've been on the short end of the stick thanks to Western colonialism.
I think we're going to see a lot of African countries move towards working with China in general. considering how China seems to be relatively unaffected and would be unscrupulous with who to support. China probably would be propping up a bunch of African dictatorships ittl.

And I think that's why we see the FEK, Japan and Korea all working together against China ittl. All of them (especially Korea and FEK) will be negatively affected the moment China tries to do anything on Taiwan and the such.

I think we're going to see a lot of African countries move towards working with China in general. considering how China seems to be relatively unaffected and would be unscrupulous with who to support. China probably would be propping up a bunch of African dictatorships ittl.

And I think that's why we see the FEK, Japan and Korea all working together against China ittl. All of them (especially Korea and FEK) will be negatively affected the moment China tries to do anything on Taiwan and the such.
Pink tide movements in Latin America will definitely be closer to China too. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if India also becomes more prominent as an alternative to the West.

On the flip side Russia imploding means China has to be much careful on any military advances.

For the Bosniaks, it was a total triumph, with President Izetbegović announcing on July 3rd that the Siege of Srebrenica had been lifted, thus expelling the last Serb forces from the country. In the coming months, while the world looked on in horror at events in Russia, a unitary Bosnian state was established with limited Croat language rights in traditionally Croat cantons along the Adriatic. The White Flag with the Six Golden Lilly Shield flew over the skies of a free Sarajevo, and would fly at the NATO Headquarters in Brussels before the end of the Millenium. The Republic of Bosnia would be roughly three-quarters Bozniak, with most of the remainder being Croat, and most Serbs having lost since left. Similar events would occur in Serbian Krajina, where Croat forces had celebrated the conquest of what had once been ethnically Serbian territory before fleeing in the face of the Croat advance. Serbia would decry these events as ethnic cleansing but repeated investigations by the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia would ultimately result in acquittals for all generals involved in the conflict (with low-ranking commanders occasionally being prosecuted).
One very valid grievance I see people have against NATO is the ethnic cleansing of Serbs. Even those who condemn Serbia for the Bosnian Genocide will find this indefensible or at least struggle to justify/excuse it, with even ardent NATO supporters seriously believing the organization's responsibility for it as morally unforgivable. And I imagine that whatever anti-war/anti-imperialist left comes up will make sure NATO never hears the end of this.
It was this unenviable circumstance, accused of being a traitor by the militant nationalists and an abandoner of the Serb refugees by the empathetic nationalists, that Milosevic would be forced to kill two stones and come up with what would become known as ‘Operation Lazar’ in a last-ditch attempt to save his regime.
I tried searching for this "Operation Lazar" but nothing else was explicitly mentioned of it. What was it?

Last edited:
One very valid grievance I see people have against NATO is the ethnic cleansing of Serbs. Even those who condemn Serbia for the Bosnian Genocide will find this indefensible or at least struggle to justify/excuse it. And I imagine that whatever anti-war/anti-imperialist left comes up will make sure NATO never hears the end of this.
Especially since it's pretty evident that the bias there is that the Serbs basically had it coming for "being aligned with Russia" even if this is absurd and seems more like puerile revenge "since we're too cowards to screw Russia, let's ' set an example of what awaits you if you mess with NATO' by brutalizing the Serbs".

Especially when you consider that they are basically being rewarded with admission into NATO and the EU for practicing ethnic cleansing.