The eagle's left head

Rhodes, June 1320
The Menteshe being wrecked again isn't good for that state indeed, hopefully we'd see them fall under the rule of the despotate.
Athens, September 17th, 1320
Ooh would we see the Duchy of Athens fall under the control of the Vatatzes? Hopefully that's what happens, it's such a nice way to end the war alongside all the lands Robert agreed to give them in Sicily.

Tbf I hope after Robert dies the despotate conquers palmero and presents it as a fiat accompli to Joanna.
Thessaloniki, October 1320
Hmm how would this go? Idk about who Manuel is at all...

Last edited:
Nice lovely update and lovely timeline in general
Thanks a lot!
While I don't know the Menteshe Beyilik military strength and economical capacity, I'd suppose that the after two consecutive Naval defeats that, at very least, the Bey would be forced to spent some time recovering from the loses in ships and sailors. Also, would appear that another civil war/succession crisis may be looming over the Empire.
Aydin and Menteshe are two different separate states. It was Aydin that was defeated by the Knights in 1319, Menteshe that made the 1320 attack.
He certainly had been recruiting Muslim corsairs to his cause but yeah the bey for now have to held back from further attacks. Two naval defeats aren’t that easy to shake off.

Also ngl hoping andronikos the third get to be emperor soon and kick his Shitlord granddad out
Separate beys but at the moment both suffered significant setbacks. Then OTL both had also suffered significant setbacks.
The Menteshe being wrecked again isn't good for that state indeed, hopefully we'd see them fall under the rule of the despotate.
I'm not certain why Menteshe keeps getting mistaken for Aydin...
Ooh would we see the Duchy of Athens fall under the control of the Vatatzes? Hopefully that's what happens, it's such a nice way to end the war alongside all the lands Robert agreed to give them in Sicily.
The duchy is too big to go down in a single campaign. On the other hand it may well soon be a duchy of Athens without Athens. After all the despots have naval supremacy. If Philanthropenos lands marines and fortifies Piraeus for example it would be a bitch to dislodge for the Catalans. Of course for the Catalans the bigger problem may well be that the veteran army terrorizing the Balkans for the past 15 years just got massacred by the Sicilians and the knights. That's a lot of hard to replace people gone...
Tbf I hope after Robert dies the despotate conquers palmero and presents it as a fiat accompli to Joanna.

Hmm how would this go? Idk about who Manuel at all...
Manuel got murdered ostensibly by accident by future Andronikos III retainers in 1320...

The duchy is too big to go down in a single campaign. On the other hand it may well soon be a duchy of Athens without Athens. After all the despots have naval supremacy. If Philanthropenos lands marines and fortifies Piraeus for example it would be a bitch to dislodge for the Catalans. Of course for the Catalans the bigger problem may well be that the veteran army terrorizing the Balkans for the past 15 years just got massacred by the Sicilians and the knights. That's a lot of hard to replace people gone...
The last part is rather telling. The greater part of the cavalry escaped, while the infantry was massacred. That means that the Catalans are left with less than 3,500 cavalry, with turkish mercenaries being around 1,500. The Turks and the Catalans have more or less the same force now. The mercenaries do not fight for the glory of the House of Barcelona, but for loot and coin. I doubt they will be willing to fight for a losing cause. Especially when the enemy is Alexios Philanthropenos. In OTL he had retained his fame after being blinded and 30 years of inactivity. In contrast, in TTL he has defeated every single army he faced. Will the mercenaries fight against him to the bitter end? If I were a betting man, I would bet that the Turks will defect either to Philanthropenos or to the Empire - and the Catalans won't be able to do much.

How can they replace so many losses? Frederick is not in a position to send that many men east - he would be vulnerable to Ioannis curb stomping him. The Aragonese are making preparations to invade Sardinia. James won't give up his life-long dream in order to replenish the Catalan Company in Greece.

By the way, does Alfonso control Karystos as in OTL?

Moreover, it is worth exploring the possibility that a small part of the catalan cavalry would be of thessalian origin. If so, these men cannot be trusted after such crushing defeat. In general, the whole population cannot be trusted after such defeat. Can the <2,000 cavalrymen deal with revolting peasants when they have a much larger army at their heels?

Without their infantry, how can they survive the coming campaign when they face a combined-arms field army of light cavalry, heavy cavalry and pikemen? The countryside is hostile, so they have to find refuge in their main castles. But Alexios has a much larger army and I would bet also a mob of angry peasants - he did the same in Morea. He can afford to blockade or outright siege e.g. both the Acropolis of Athens and Thebes at the same time.

In general, I doubt Philanthropenos will give them a couple of years of peace to consolidate again their position.

I'm not certain why Menteshe keeps getting mistaken for Aydin...
Sorry speed reading doesn't really help lol.
Moreover, it is worth exploring the possibility that a small part of the catalan cavalry would be of thessalian origin. If so, these men cannot be trusted after such crushing defeat. In general, the whole population cannot be trusted after such defeat. Can the <2,000 cavalrymen deal with revolting peasants when they have a much larger army at their heels?
Yeah I don't see the Duchy standing on its own for long, even if most of it is controlled by someone else like Serbia.

The last part is rather telling. The greater part of the cavalry escaped, while the infantry was massacred. That means that the Catalans are left with less than 3,500 cavalry, with turkish mercenaries being around 1,500. The Turks and the Catalans have more or less the same force now. The mercenaries do not fight for the glory of the House of Barcelona, but for loot and coin. I doubt they will be willing to fight for a losing cause. Especially when the enemy is Alexios Philanthropenos. In OTL he had retained his fame after being blinded and 30 years of inactivity. In contrast, in TTL he has defeated every single army he faced. Will the mercenaries fight against him to the bitter end? If I were a betting man, I would bet that the Turks will defect either to Philanthropenos or to the Empire - and the Catalans won't be able to do much.
At the time of the OTL battle of Cephessus the surviving Catalans numbered 4,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry. With between 1,000 and 2,500 depending on sources additional cavalry being Turks. TTL Catalans have parceled out fiefs for about 4,000 infantry and 1,600 cavalry. So of the 3,500 cavalry Alfonso has around 1,000 would had been Catalans. Around 2,000 should have been Turkish cavalry. Post Corinth, the old core of Catalans has been decimated. Recruiting Greeks is likely... problematic.

How can they replace so many losses? Frederick is not in a position to send that many men east - he would be vulnerable to Ioannis curb stomping him. The Aragonese are making preparations to invade Sardinia. James won't give up his life-long dream in order to replenish the Catalan Company in Greece.
There is also the minor issue about who controls the seas and who does not. And that Italy is at war on a large scale. So getting Latin mercenaries in large numbers seems problematic. Your other options are only Turks and maybe Serbs.
By the way, does Alfonso control Karystos as in OTL?
While left open likely not. This would be getting in conflict with Venice as well and the Catalans TTL were focusing on Thessaly for the mmost part.
At a quick calculation maybe 500 should be locals. The Turkish mercenaries OTL refused to settle on the Duchy so at least some of the fiefs should had gone to ex Thessalians, that wasn't uncommon. After all that's how the Christian Sipahis came to being OTL.

Without their infantry, how can they survive the coming campaign when they face a combined-arms field army of light cavalry, heavy cavalry and pikemen? The countryside is hostile, so they have to find refuge in their main castles. But Alexios has a much larger army and I would bet also a mob of angry peasants - he did the same in Morea. He can afford to blockade or outright siege e.g. both the Acropolis of Athens and Thebes at the same time.

In general, I doubt Philanthropenos will give them a couple of years of peace to consolidate again their position.
The main problem is of course the fortresses. One notes Philanthropenos immediately went after Athens. Piraeus was unfortified, capturing and fortifying it should be an obvious move. The Acropolis is a tough nut to crack, the harvest should be in by September so the garrison should be well stocked but without relief it will be starved out sooner or later.

Your other options are only Turks and maybe Serbs.
Mayyyybe... I don't think it would be too hard figuring why the Serbs would be willing to oblige Alfonso.

EDIT : And thus how Alfonso could be in for yet another round, despite yet another "crippling" disaster. That would advance a "few" years the Serbs' southwards advance into Greece perhaps, would it not?

Last edited:
So of the 3,500 cavalry Alfonso has around 1,000 would had been Catalans. Around 2,000 should have been Turkish cavalry. Post Corinth, the old core of Catalans has been decimated. Recruiting Greeks is likely... problematic.
That development on its own can produce a great deal of political instability, even if there was no invading army.

Your other options are only Turks and maybe Serbs.
Mayyyybe... I don't think it would be too hard figuring why the Serbs would be willing to oblige Alfonso.
There is the issue that Andronikos has first to agree for a substantial host of potentially hostile Serbians to cross Macedonia in order to reach the duchy. While I wouldn't put it past of that far-sighted statesman, I think he has reasons to be paranoid. Both the Despotate and Serbia are hostile powers and Adrianne is in Sicily, so there is no chance to capture her and use her as a bargaining chip for Milutin's good behavior. Moreover, two senior members of the upper aristocracy have defected to the Despotate. He is in a very weak position and he still remembers that the Catalans almost destroyed his empire. Who can guarantee that the Serbians will cross in peace to help the Catalans and they won't find the opportunity to capture Macedonia for their own after they pass through the line of border fortifications?

At a quick calculation maybe 500 should be locals. The Turkish mercenaries OTL refused to settle on the Duchy so at least some of the fiefs should had gone to ex Thessalians, that wasn't uncommon. After all that's how the Christian Sipahis came to being OTL.
And considering the history of Thessaly in the 13th and 14th centuries, they wouldn't be particularly loyal to the Catalans.

The main problem is of course the fortresses. One notes Philanthropenos immediately went after Athens. Piraeus was unfortified, capturing and fortifying it should be an obvious move. The Acropolis is a tough nut to crack, the harvest should be in by September so the garrison should be well stocked but without relief it will be starved out sooner or later.
That makes perfect sense.

I doubt that the garrisons left behind would be numerous - since the field army was perhaps the maximum the Catalans could field. So we are talking about small garrisons that can hold a castle but not much more than that.

Alexios has another asset for his campaign: his galleys crews. I may be wrong but I think he should have 800-1200 marines at hand. These men can blockade the Acropolis without having to divert his field army to such endeavor. At the same time, his rowers can fortify the Kastella hill in Piraeus.

Philanthropenos has the manpower to strike at the heart of the duchy: Boeotia.

Worth noting is that Athens, if placds under siege, doesn't have as much reason to hold out as one might think.

Typically the objective of resisting a siege is to hold out until relief either from your own rulers or an ally drives the besieging army off.

Can the garrison of the city expect any kind of relief? Their own ruler has lost his army that cannot realistically be rebuilt in the near future, and his overseas patrons are unlikely to dispatch any kind of strength so far from home. Both of the Turkish powers that might have had reason to send mercenaries have just suffered defeats themselves, and anyone in that region that has been paying attention knows that if their army is composed entirely of Turkish mercenaries they will struggle to send those mercenaries home once the war is done.

The garrison commander has no reason to expect anyone but Serbia would intervene on the Catalans' behalf, and the likelihood of a Serbian army managing to be raised, organized and to cross the territory of multiple wary powers in time to break a siege is very low.

I would honestly be surprised if Athens put up more than token resistance to extract some concessions from the Despotate, unless a new wave of Catalans materialize somehow.

Who can guarantee that the Serbians will cross in peace to help the Catalans and they won't find the opportunity to capture Macedonia for their own after they pass through the line of border fortifications?
Conversely, is Andronikos even able to refuse said passage to a furious Milutin ? Considering how many issues and threats he faces from as many directions, that would be picking one of two evils.

Then if I'm not mistaken, Milutin is due to face the ripper soon ITTL. I would not be surprised if in the narrative, he dies on that campaign and thus the Serbs bail out on Alfonso just at the moment he is on verge of winning big against Philanthropenos, in a snatch defeat from victory's jaws moment.

Then if I'm not mistaken, Milutin is due to face the ripper soon ITTL. I would not be surprised if in the narrative, he dies on that campaign and thus the Serbs bail out on Alfonso just at the moment he is on verge of winning big against Philanthropenos, in a snatch defeat from victory's jaws moment.
Or if so, could be possible that his OTL demise would be accelerated ITTL due to the hardships of the campaign.

Vince

Monthly Donor
Conversely, is Andronikos even able to refuse said passage to a furious Milutin ? Considering how many issues and threats he faces from as many directions, that would be picking one of two evils.

Speaking of other issues, has the Empire lost most of Asia Minor by this point?

Another reason I doubt the ability of Milutin to send a large expedition so far away from Serbia was the internal instability during the end of his rule:

Removing his rebellious eldest son Stephen and nephew Vladislav as potential heirs to the crown, in the last years of his life King Uroš Milutin began to prepare his younger son Konstantin for future ruler.65 However, at the time of the king’s death on October 29, 1321, the question of a successor was not definitively resolved. Turmoil in the country, which began even during Milutin’s illness and ruthless struggle for Serbian crown between half-brothers Stephen and Konstantin, ended in defeat and murder of the latter and the crowning of Stephen III Dečanski on January 6, 1322, enabled Vladislav II to escape from imprisonment.
Source: http://rih.iib.ac.rs/298/1/AKrstic, King Vladislav II Nemanjic, Banatica 26.pdf

It seems that he was both ill and struggling to secure his succession as he saw fit.

Speaking of other issues, has the Empire lost most of Asia Minor by this point?
The conquest of Anatolia is continuing pretty much on schedule, if not very slightly faster, the entirety of Smyrna has fallen for example.
Another reason I doubt the ability of Milutin to send a large expedition so far away from Serbia was the internal instability during the end of his rule:
His death did bring civil war for certain...
Source: http://rih.iib.ac.rs/298/1/AKrstic, King Vladislav II Nemanjic, Banatica 26.pdf

It seems that he was both ill and struggling to secure his succession as he saw fit.
An actual campaign by either Milutin or any of his sons is out of the question. Mercenaries for pay is something else though.

@Lascaris who controls now Malta, Enna and Lefkada ? Also who is receiving the tunisian tribute, Frederick, Robert or Ioannis ?
Malta is Sicilian. Enna was taken by the despotate in 1319. Leukada is part of the despotate, only Corfu and Cythera are out of its control at the momennt. The Tunisian tribute goes to Sicily.

Part 43
Constantinople, March 25th, 1321

Andronikos II, proclaimed his grandson Manuel, the younger son of the late Michael IX co-emperor in the place of his recently deceased father. It was a decisive act by the old emperor effectively making Manuel instead of his elder brother Andronikos heir to the empire. How the elder prince, banished to the governorship of Adrianople after the fiasco between Theodore Lascaris and Adrienne would react remained to be seen.

Piraeus, April 10th, 1321

Theodore Doukas Lascaris, hopped off the ship. Two years away from Greece had been enough. He couldn't complain of course that his uncle had been idle during his absence. His victory in Corinth spoke of itself. Here in Piraeus Alexios had very practically start repairing what remained if the ancient walls around the port, giving himself a fortified base with access to the sea.

Adrianople, April 19th, 1321

Prince Andronikos proclaimed himself emperor on Easter day, rising in revolt against his grandfather. If the elder Andronikos wanted to disinherit his elder grandson he was not going to take it lying down. He would be immediately joined in the revolt by his friend Theodore Synadenos.

Athens, April 25th, 1321

Alexios Philanthropenos marched north. Rizokastro, the fortress around the foot of the Acropolis was still holding out but the rest of Attica had switched sides to the Lascarids, neither the peasantry nor the handful of local Greek lords had any reason to stay loyal to the Catalans. Alexios would march into Boeotia with the bulk of the army, while Theodore would continue the siege.

Mount Parnassos, May 1321

News traveled slow but did travel and often got exaggerated on their way. Thus that the Franks had been crushed by a fellow Greek army back in fall had reached the mountain villages, and most of their new Catalan overlords failing to come back to their fiefs for the winter had been noticed. The mountaineers hadn't failed to add two and two together and come up with five. Then the tax farmers had come with even harsher demands than usual, Alfonso needed money and supplies to keep fighting, as much as he could get his hands on. The first refusals to pay and attacks on the tax farmers had brought the garrison of Salona out. But this only managed to make things worse. Soon the mountains were in revolt against the Catalans.

Athens, May 25th, 1321

The Acropolis of Athens finally surrendered to Theodore Lascaris. It was about time, the fortress had held out for nine months and he could not remain idle in front of it. The empire had fallen in civil war, Kantakouzenos had left to join his friend Andronikos in Adrianople as soon as the news had reached Athens, bringing along with him money and promises of further help from Theodore, who did not forget who was and who was not his friend in the imperial court. Theodore would soon move north to join his uncle in the siege of Thebes while Adrienne took up residence in the former ducal palace in the Acropolis and Parthenon, as church of the Holy Virgin of Athens returned back to the Greek rite after a century in Frankish hands.

Constantinople, June 6th, 1321

As civil wars went this one appeared to have ended fast. The elder Andronikos had been forced to recognize the younger Andronikos as co-emperor and give him rule of Macedonia and Thrace. But it should be obvious that the new situation with three different emperors ruling together was unstable while even the split of authority was questionable, Thessaloniki for example nominally fell with Macedonia to Andronikos III but her governor Constantine, was siding with his father Andronikos II against his nephew. But at least for the moment the fighting was over.

Larisa, June 1321

Alfonso Fabrique reviewed his gathered army. Four thousand men had escaped last year's debacle at Corinth. His own Catalans were thirteen hundred infantry and seven hundred cavalry. Another four hundred cavalrymen were locals mostly Thessalians who had given their fealty back during the conquest of Thessaly in exchange for keeping their lands. Which in effect meant that nearly half the fiefs of the duchy were lying empty as their holders lay dead in the fields outside Corinth. Bringing out older men and younger sons of the fallen men had allowed him to recruit another twelve hundred infantry and two hundred cavalry but these were a mix of 15 and 16 year olds, men in their fifties or worse Greeks, and could Greeks be trusted after last year? But he needed every man he could get his hands on so he couldn't be picky.

Getting many more Turkish mercenaries had been impossible, since Leo Kalothetos had shown up with a fleet outside Demetrias and blockaded the port and the Venetian bailli of Negreponte had closed the straits to armed ships, ostensibly an act of neutrality in truth aiming at the Catalans. Venice may not be entirely happy with Lascarid expansion but did good business with them while it was not on the best terms with the house of Barcelona. Thus he had turned to Serbia. King Milutin was in no position to campaign himself, he had just concluded a war with Hungary over Belgrade and was increasingly ill, but had allowed Alfonso to recruit about four hundred heavy cavalry and two hundred infantry as mercenaries he had not forgotten being gravely insulted by Theodore. Neither had despot Constantine the governor of Thessaloniki who had been forced to let Adrienne go at sword's point back at the time, thus he had let the Serbs cross to Thessaly. Which gave him an army of about six thousand men, half of them horse to try to break the siege of Thebes...

Off Genoa, July 1321

King Frederick had sailed in person at the head of a fleet of forty Sicilian galleys to come to the aid of Matteo Visconti in his siege of Genoa. He had been taking a major gamble but one arguably worth it. If Genoa fell to Visconti it would mean bringing it back on the Ghibelline cause. And along with with Genoa would come her navy. The combined Genoese-Sicilian fleet would have every prospect of seizing command back of the sea from the Angevins and Lascarids, if it worked. Robert of Anjou would not let it work though as 83 Angevin galleys chased the Sicilian away. The Sicilians were chased away. Pope John XXII would not be amused by the episode though excommunicating Frederick once more and placing Sicily under a new interdict.

Aliartos, July 18th, 1321

Alexios Philanthropenos had seized Aliartos with four thousand infantry and two thousand cavalry as soon as the news of Alfonso advancing to the relief of Thebes had come while another thousand men maintained the blockade of Thebes. Now it was up to Alfonso to decide if he would risk an attack taking advantage of his superior cavalry numbers or not. In truth he did not have much of an option if he wanted to relieve Thebes. The Serbs led the charge driving off the lighter armed Greek cavalry only to be stopped cold by the Achaean infantry. Then the pike blocks moved forward and the Achaean heavy horse charged in turn. The Catalans retreated leaving over a thousand men on the field for less than a third as many Sicilians.

Thebes, August 27th, 1321

The castle garrison had fought on for forty more days after the battle of Aliartos. After no relief had come it had surrendered the castle, being allowed to leave with its arms. Philanthropenos and Theodore would march against Livadeia three days later with the main body of the army while a thousand men under Andronikos Asen would move through the mountains to join the Parnassus rebels at Arachova.

Mytiline, October 1321

Martino Zaccaria had succeeded his uncle as lord of Phokaia. He had managed to take control of Smyrna only for the bey of Aydin to capture both the city and the fortress. But Martino was an ambitious capable man. With the empire split he had taken his chances leading five hundred Latin mercenaries and seven ships to Lesbos seizing first Mytiline and then the rest of the islands. Andronikos II and Manuel II taken by surprise would fail to offer an immediate response. Then they would not be in position to offer one...

Constantinople, December 1321

Syrgiannes Palaiologos had sided with Andronikos III initially. Then he had clashed with Ioannis Kantakouzenos and fled to Constantinople where Andronikos II made him magas doux, commander of the imperial navy. It would had been more impressive had Andronikos not disbanded the fleet back in the 1280s, despite a halfhearted attempt to rebuild it the previous year. But either way Syrgiannes had convinced Manuel and the elder Andronikos to resume the civil war.

Thebes, August 27th, 1321
Boeotia is a great acquisition. Even during catalan times, Thebes exported silk through Livadostrata at the Corinthian Gulf.

The Catalans retreated leaving over a thousand men on the field for less than a third as many Sicilians.
This is quite heavy defeat. Leaving more than 16% of the total force as dead, would mean that there are also lot of wounded, some of which will perish as well. These are not sustainable losses, especially since the manpower pool is limited.

Thessaly is populous with a lot of fiefs. But it has gone through a period of instability and several incursions very recently. Thessaly is rich in land, but poor in coin. At the same time, the Despotate can blockade the Pagasetic Gulf, or at least make trade precarious with increased pirate activity. I doubt the local magnates will be overly thrilled with the possibility of providing increased taxes to Alfonso and the latter has not other alternatives to procure coin. Is Stefanos Gavriilopoulos still around ?