The Flag of Odin

December 12, 353 A germanic Priest and chief by the name of Aethulf receives a vision. He decides to unite the Germanic tribes under one banner. The Flag of Woden. He decides that because of the massive amounts of Germans converting from the path of the Gods to this jesus religion that he must bring back interest in the Gods he must write down the traditions and where necessary and instructed by his visions from Woden change the practices. Once he does that he must infiltrate and take over the Roman empire. (The Roman empire has declined but not yet to the point where the Germans cannot continue the legacy of Rome) He realizes that people who were not warriors could not go to or enjoy paradise so he meditates and consults the Gods on this. He sees Thor in a vision who tells him that there is only paradise for those who earn it. He learns of the Anti-Gods led by Loki. He learns of Loki and Woden's eternal conflict and he learns of the afterlife. He learns that the Cosmos is a living being who makes up all the infinite worlds that exist and is all powerful. He realizes the universal hierarchy is as shown.

Cosmos: infinitely powerful and makes up everything in a class by himself he can be compared with the greek Chaos and Christian God

Odin/Loki: blood brothers each the most powerful of their Godly brotherhood the Aesir and Ond-Aesir

Aesir/Ond-Aesir All the Germanic and Greek Gods gods each follows the commands of either Loki or Odin

Other Gods pretty much gods from other religion classified as lower gods
Spirits/Demons
Pontifex Maximus -highest priest
Pontifex
Human

The Afterlife

There are two places to go in the afterlife Den Salige Verden or Den Forbandede Verden. Den Salige Verden is like heaven except once you are bored or want to be reborn you are reborn. Den Forbandede Verden was more like a prison as once you have served your sentence you are reborn. The Gods Do not control the underworld except Hel and Hades and mostly Cosmos.

He calls this religion Vores Tro

July 12, 358 The faith has taken off in Saxony however still has a pitiful number of adherents. Julian has become emperor and has requested Germanic tribe's help against the Sassanid. They have Agreed in exchange for Parts of the western empire. Julian agrees to give them Hispania Italy and north africa, However these are Arian Christian tribes and are not led by Aethulf. The land is still Roman but now majority german

Map of Roman empire by 365 Julian's defeat and vassalization of the Sassanid Empire.

Edit sorry for the lack of the map here it is

Red romans
drak red German tribes
blue- grey sassanid vassal state
grey german tribes in roman territories.

upload_2018-5-17_15-21-33.png

Last edited:
Im going to give a religious map now
religious map 400
upload_2018-5-17_15-34-34.png

Red - Roman Polytheism
Dark red German Polytheism
Blue Vores tro
Grey zoroastrianism
purple Christianity
Note
in the east Polytheism is the majority because that is where Julian's reforms were focused but in the west Christianity is. This will play an important role in the future

March 3, 395 The first Emperor of the Julian Dynasty converts to christianity after splitting the empire permanantly. He takes the west and his pagan brother julian 2 takes the east. He also is a terrible military leader and ends up losing gaul and northern italy to the franks.

An excerpt from the battle of the Rhine the battle that resulted in the roman loss of gaul and Germania interior.

There were 100,000 Roman soldiers against a 200,000 strong german army.

German Leader Aethulf
"Hear our enemies and remember the sacrifices Odin made for us." "He hung himself on the great tree Yggdrasil to Give us knowlege, he created war for us to thrive" We will fight these Romans and take back gaul." "For Odin and the Gods"

Army
"For Odin"

Roman commander John Acilia
These German unbaptized barbarians have come to fight us the soldiers of Christ. Through Christ's strength we shall overcome these pagani and tear their heads off. Then they will burn in hell as we are honored in heaven for bringing down the unbelievers.
The German army crossed over the frozen elbe river burning the fortaments and outflanking their enemy.
They at first sent bait, a cavalry 10,000 strong who at sight of the roman army fled on their horses the army chased them into a thick forest which 150,000 german troops surronded and massacred. They took John Acilia captive.

Headquarters and throne room in the palace of Aethulf
John "You will die unbelievers and suffer in hell, and I no matter what you do to me shall be rewarded in paradise"
Aethulf "Shut up, you are only alive because I need you. "
John "I will listen to your demands once you accept our lord, Christ and agree to join the roman empire."
Aethulf "No you are to first convert and accept Vores tro and Odin then I may allow you to live."
John " My allegiance is to firstly Christ then the Emperor Jove, not to you and the demons you worship."
Aethulf " Yes yes you are right I should accept christ so tell me what is your religion your government your secrets, your technology and maybe then you will have convinced me to accept Christ.
John " Most of our nation's scientists have fled or are protected by the emperor as they are pagani." "They question God's world and hold the bible as false." I have on numerous occasions asked my Emperor why he keeps them alive and the texts of science preserved." He has said the when it is 1135 after the creation of our glorious mother city rome he will burn and kill them and all the texts." "So now you accept Christ."
Aethulf " No , kill him"
"Wait says his high commander and advisor Harald" I think we should keep him alive so we can take rome's technology and philosophy for ourselves."
Aethulf "Right as always Harald I shall do as you say"

Last edited:

Philip

Donor
John " Most of our nation's scientists have fled or are protected by the emperor as they are pagani." "They question God's world and hold the bible as false." I have on numerous occasions asked my Emperor why he keeps them alive and the texts of science preserved." He has said the when it is 400 the year of the lord he will burn and kill them and all the texts."

You should read some 4th/5th Century Christian texts before continuing. None of this dialog sounds remotely representative of their mindset.

The Anno Domini system was not invented for another 130 years.

I'm afraid that the Roman "Julii Brutii" gens never existed. If you mean the Junii Brutii, then i'm afraid your character cannot exist either, since these went extinct before the reign of Octavian.
I'm also afraid that the name "Brutus" would have negative conotations after then, especially considering that one Brutus famously murdered the most politically successful member of the Julia family.
A cavalry detachment of 30.000 is by no means "small", either. John Sobieski's cavalry charge at the Battle of Vienna in 1683 included slightly less than what you put there, and it is still considered the largest cavalry charge of any Modern Age battle.

Last edited:
okay i will fix that and btw this is the entire extent of the new Emperor/Prophet Aethulf's army he used every single cavalryman as it was necessary to take Gaul and Germania interior.

I think more research would be useful here, the idea is interesting, but the execution could use a lot of work. Odin would not be used by Germanic pagans outside Scandinavia, would be known as either Wotan or Wodan, same with Thor, so you going to have to do more research on Germanic Paganism. I don't see how you can create Germanic paganism as a strict reverse Christianity.

First and foremost a lot of paganistic faiths never really wrote down their myths, legends, and practices there has to be a major change in society before the creation of a new religion. Second Norse Paganism, in particular, is not interchangeable with any other faith from what I can tell, so I do not think you can just cut and paste Valhalla or even as an alternate form of heaven as it as is.

Also writing a narrative timeline as your first timeline is hard, you have to capture the feel of the period you are writing, and you might want to work on your spelling and grammar.

I'm sorry in case i upset you here, but... i don't think you should be making a TL this early into your tenure as a member of the board. :(
Making a TL requires research, or at least some savvy. Otherwise, it just won't catch people's interest. I think you should instead stick around, participate in more discussions about the subjects you're interested in, and gradually get more knowlege before foraying into your first TL.

Only if the Gods actively intervene. Abrahamic mythology make many claims in divine intervention which are not confirmed by archeological evidence. Timelines involving Christianity, Judaism or Islam are not placed in ASB.

I have yet to see a timeline inspired by a change in a divine revelation. But I suppose you raise a valid point. Seems to me I can manipulate any past character with divine intervention claims though. That's a flood gate.

Philip

Donor
I have yet to see a timeline inspired by a change in a divine revelation.

Give Riding the Eternal Blue Sky a try.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/riding-the-eternal-blue-sky.154505/
But I suppose you raise a valid point. Seems to me I can manipulate any past character with divine intervention claims though. That's a flood gate.

Given the number of people in history that claim to have been divinely inspired, I think that gate has been open for a while.