Just get Ed IV to lice long enough for Ed V to not need a Lord Protector. Like when he's Eighteen...
He would not absolutely need one also at the OTL date but I agree who Edward IV need to live longer to see Elizabeth of York safely married abroad and the situation about Middleham’s inheritance resolved in one way or the other

But With As Great Devotion Meet
October 1471

Soundtrack: Pierre Attaingnant - Pavane

*exterior* *Bristol* *we see Richard of Gloucester and his army attempting to take the city* *only to find the city refuse to acknowledge them* *in fact, one of the soldiers on the wall turns around and drops his trousers telling the duke of Gloucester to “kiss my arse”*
*next thing we see that soldier lying prone, with an arrow shaft protruding from his buttock*

*exterior* *Pamplona* *the Courtyard of the Cour des Comptes* *there is a vicious fight going on* *looks more like a beatdown between two gangs*

*exterior* *Valencia* *King Juan II of Aragon is out hunting with his son and younger daughter when he receives a letter* *he opens it and reads it* *frowns*
ernando, King of Sicily: what is it, father?
Juan II: there has been a fight in Pamplona.
Fernando: the Agramontese and the Beaumontese again?
Juan II: only now not only is the Marshal of Navarre[1] dead but he managed to slit the Constable of Navarre’s[2] throat before he departed this life. *we see his face twists into a scowl at the news*

*exterior* *Lancastrian court at Oxford* *a messenger in papal livery passes through the court* *cut to Prince Edward removing the archbishop’s mitre from the head of George Neville, Archbishop of York, and replacing it with a crimson galero[3]*
Thomas, 2e Baron Stanley[4]: my congratulations, Milord Warwick, on your brother’s elevation.
Warwick the Kingmaker: my gratitude, Lord Stanley.
Stanley: truly your family is to be congratulated in succeeding on reaching so high…cardinal in the family, the future queen.
Warwick: *says nothing*
Stanley: *quietly* although I would warn you that rumours could once more spread that you intend to change sides again, sir
Warwick: *glares at him* is that a threat, in your words, sir?
Stanley: no threat. One of such humble stock as myself wouldn’t dream of daring to advise someone as great as yourself. However, my brother writes me that King Edward has indicated himself…favourable…towards your daughter, the duchess of Clarence’s entreaties.
Warwick: and what has she entreated of him?
Stanley: you should ask King Edward that. That King Edward, not this King Edward- *looks at the prince of Wales*
Warwick: he is not king, yet, sir
Stanley: in short time, he will be- if the rumours are true.
Warwick: more rumour and superstition, Lord Stanley?
Stanley: there are those that say the reason the king is not here is because he has suffered an attack of his illness once more. That the news of your granddaughter’s birth broke his…sensitive…health.
Warwick: *tightly* what a ridiculous rumour.
Stanley: my apologies, Milord, I did not mean to speculate on the state of the king’s health. I simply thought it a more…likely…explanation of either his Majesty’s nor his wife’s non-attendance than the other option-
Warwick: if that is the more sensible of the two options, I can’t imagine what the discarded version was.
Stanley: the voice goes that you and the prince have…fallen out, Milord. That their Majesties’ refusing to attend this ceremony is in indication of their displeasure.
Warwick: *stares woodenly ahead*
Stanley: but, I said to myself, if Milord Warwick had reached so high, there are many jackals at court who would only relish the opportunity to tear him down. *looks pointedly at both Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire, and her son, the earl of Richmond, and then at John Beaufort, Earl of Dorset* which leaves the other option
Warwick: why should the king be present at something as simple as the elevation of my brother? King Edward was not at his enthronement at York. Was that perhaps an indication of his displeasure?[5]
Stanley: of course not, milord. I didn’t mean to imply-
Warwick: then you should know, Lord Stanley, that if rumours were to get out that you are speculating on his Majesty’s health, then have no doubt that those jackals of whom you spoke will devour you as well as I, for even entertaining the idea that the king is not in the very best of health.

*exterior* *Rome* *Pope Paul II is circling a statue of a Roman emperor like he was a hyaena in a past life* *his camerlengo, Cardinal Latino Orsini, is watching him closely*
Paul II: and they found this in the Forum?
Orsini: yes, Holiness. Alongside the column of Trajan.
Paul II: *looks at the face* it doesn’t look like Trajan
Orsini: it’s believed to be the Emperor Titus, Holiness.
Paul II: *quotes Titus* Kind Rome, that hast thoust lovingly reserved the cordial of mine age to glad my heart!
Orsini: *discreetly rolls his eyes like “these damned Venetians”*
Paul II: *snaps back into reality* we would bring all of these works together, under one roof.
Orsini: these works, Holiness?
Paul II: statues, Orsini. Rome is full of reminders of her imperial glory, and yet, nothing is done about them.
Orsini: you wish to have them brought together to be destroyed?
Paul II: no! *shocked face poking over Titus’ shoulder* I wish to preserve them for posterity. *grins* remind those Medici with their *puts on “posh” accent* Accademia who the true heirs of Rome are.
Orsini: it might be seen as sacrilegious, Holiness, for a pope to take such interest in pagan Rome. Given that many of her emperors are responsible for creating many of the church’s martyrs.
Paul II: and wasn’t Constantine a Roman emperor when he lifted our holy church from squalor? *fiercely* if Borgia were here, he’d understand this.
Orsini: but he’s in Spain, Holiness. Trying to convince the king of Castile to accept the king of Sicily as son-in-law. *side mouth as he looks at Titus* and you, Majesty, had the right idea of what to do with his sort[6] .
Paul II: Cardinal Orsini, when a man collects works of art, we do not call him an idolater but we praise his taste. That is all I wish to do. These are works of art, reminders of our history that…we have too often forgotten.
Orsini: of course sir.
Paul II: *spreads arms* do you think Titus or Marcus Aurelius would recognize Rome as she now stands? The Tiber flows through a marble wilderness?
Orsini: *silent*
Paul II: and we must see if we can do something about the Tiber
Orsini: do, Holiness?
Paul II: the flooding. The stench and the disease that follow the flooding drying out.
Orsini: *desperately trying to change the subject* the courier of the cardinal’s hat you sent to England has written with news, Holiness.
Paul II: *almost indifferent* and what news has he?
Orsini: the first is that the duchess of Burgundy has suffered a miscarriage[7]. Another boy, this one of around three and a half months, as the physicians do judge.
Paul II: *crosses himself*
Orsini: the second bit of news is that there is suspicion that King Henry’s wits have failed him once more. He was not present for either Cardinal Neville’s elevation, nor for his granddaughter’s christening on the feast of Saint Ursula[8].
Paul II: are we sure it is his wits and not something mundane as-
Orsini: he apparently keeps insisting that the Princess of Wales gave birth to a son, Holy Father.
Paul II: then England has two kings, two queens, a jack and- *sighs to the statue of Titus* if only someone would’ve left out the fool.

*fade to black*

[1] Pedro I, Marshal of Navarre, leader of the Agramontese, was murdered in the courtyard of the Cour des Comptes OTL
[2] Luiz III, Conde de Lérin (as well as Juan’s son-in-law via his bastard daughter Leonor, since 1468), both the man who murdered Pedro OTL and the leader of the Beaumontese. OTL, he died in 1508. Here, he leaves an infant son.
[3] The broad-brimmed hat of cardinals
[4] While Stanley is associated with the Yorkists, that was actually William (until after Tewkesbury). During the Readeption, Thomas, was in Lancastrian employ
[5] Actually it was. The feast that was given by the Nevilles to celebrate George’s enthronement was royal in scale, and it certainly peeved Edward off. Was just one of the many “missteps” Warwick made
[6] i.e. Marranos (Spanish Jews), referencing Titus’ siege and destruction of Jerusalem
[7] Per King Louis XI’s own correspondence, there are oblique references to Margaret of York having been ill at some point in mid-1471, with Louis suggesting that she will remain ill for a few months yet. But then around autumn 1471, he stops mentioning it. Either indicating that she was found not to be pregnant or that she had suffered a miscarriage.
[8] October 21. I went back and forth on this, since a week earlier (October 13) is the Feast of Saint Edward the Confessor (cue obvious connections), but settled on Ursula. Why? Ursula was – per tradition – an English princess

October 1471

Soundtrack: Pierre Attaingnant - Pavane

*exterior* *Bristol* *we see Richard of Gloucester and his army attempting to take the city* *only to find the city refuse to acknowledge them* *in fact, one of the soldiers on the wall turns around and drops his trousers telling the duke of Gloucester to “kiss my arse”*
*next thing we see that soldier lying prone, with an arrow shaft protruding from his buttock*

*exterior* *Pamplona* *the Courtyard of the Cour des Comptes* *there is a vicious fight going on* *looks more like a beatdown between two gangs*

*exterior* *Valencia* *King Juan II of Aragon is out hunting with his son and younger daughter when he receives a letter* *he opens it and reads it* *frowns*
ernando, King of Sicily: what is it, father?
Juan II: there has been a fight in Pamplona.
Fernando: the Agramontese and the Beaumontese again?
Juan II: only now not only is the Marshal of Navarre[1] dead but he managed to slit the Constable of Navarre’s[2] throat before he departed this life. *we see his face twists into a scowl at the news*

*exterior* *Lancastrian court at Oxford* *a messenger in papal livery passes through the court* *cut to Prince Edward removing the archbishop’s mitre from the head of George Neville, Archbishop of York, and replacing it with a crimson galero[3]*
Thomas, 2e Baron Stanley[4]: my congratulations, Milord Warwick, on your brother’s elevation.
Warwick the Kingmaker: my gratitude, Lord Stanley.
Stanley: truly your family is to be congratulated in succeeding on reaching so high…cardinal in the family, the future queen.
Warwick: *says nothing*
Stanley: *quietly* although I would warn you that rumours could once more spread that you intend to change sides again, sir
Warwick: *glares at him* is that a threat, in your words, sir?
Stanley: no threat. One of such humble stock as myself wouldn’t dream of daring to advise someone as great as yourself. However, my brother writes me that King Edward has indicated himself…favourable…towards your daughter, the duchess of Clarence’s entreaties.
Warwick: and what has she entreated of him?
Stanley: you should ask King Edward that. That King Edward, not this King Edward- *looks at the prince of Wales*
Warwick: he is not king, yet, sir
Stanley: in short time, he will be- if the rumours are true.
Warwick: more rumour and superstition, Lord Stanley?
Stanley: there are those that say the reason the king is not here is because he has suffered an attack of his illness once more. That the news of your granddaughter’s birth broke his…sensitive…health.
Warwick: *tightly* what a ridiculous rumour.
Stanley: my apologies, Milord, I did not mean to speculate on the state of the king’s health. I simply thought it a more…likely…explanation of either his Majesty’s nor his wife’s non-attendance than the other option-
Warwick: if that is the more sensible of the two options, I can’t imagine what the discarded version was.
Stanley: the voice goes that you and the prince have…fallen out, Milord. That their Majesties’ refusing to attend this ceremony is in indication of their displeasure.
Warwick: *stares woodenly ahead*
Stanley: but, I said to myself, if Milord Warwick had reached so high, there are many jackals at court who would only relish the opportunity to tear him down. *looks pointedly at both Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire, and her son, the earl of Richmond, and then at John Beaufort, Earl of Dorset* which leaves the other option
Warwick: why should the king be present at something as simple as the elevation of my brother? King Edward was not at his enthronement at York. Was that perhaps an indication of his displeasure?[5]
Stanley: of course not, milord. I didn’t mean to imply-
Warwick: then you should know, Lord Stanley, that if rumours were to get out that you are speculating on his Majesty’s health, then have no doubt that those jackals of whom you spoke will devour you as well as I, for even entertaining the idea that the king is not in the very best of health.

*exterior* *Rome* *Pope Paul II is circling a statue of a Roman emperor like he was a hyaena in a past life* *his camerlengo, Cardinal Latino Orsini, is watching him closely*
Paul II: and they found this in the Forum?
Orsini: yes, Holiness. Alongside the column of Trajan.
Paul II: *looks at the face* it doesn’t look like Trajan
Orsini: it’s believed to be the Emperor Titus, Holiness.
Paul II: *quotes Titus* Kind Rome, that hast thoust lovingly reserved the cordial of mine age to glad my heart!
Orsini: *discreetly rolls his eyes like “these damned Venetians”*
Paul II: *snaps back into reality* we would bring all of these works together, under one roof.
Orsini: these works, Holiness?
Paul II: statues, Orsini. Rome is full of reminders of her imperial glory, and yet, nothing is done about them.
Orsini: you wish to have them brought together to be destroyed?
Paul II: no! *shocked face poking over Titus’ shoulder* I wish to preserve them for posterity. *grins* remind those Medici with their *puts on “posh” accent* Accademia who the true heirs of Rome are.
Orsini: it might be seen as sacrilegious, Holiness, for a pope to take such interest in pagan Rome. Given that many of her emperors are responsible for creating many of the church’s martyrs.
Paul II: and wasn’t Constantine a Roman emperor when he lifted our holy church from squalor? *fiercely* if Borgia were here, he’d understand this.
Orsini: but he’s in Spain, Holiness. Trying to convince the king of Castile to accept the king of Sicily as son-in-law. *side mouth as he looks at Titus* and you, Majesty, had the right idea of what to do with his sort[6] .
Paul II: Cardinal Orsini, when a man collects works of art, we do not call him an idolater but we praise his taste. That is all I wish to do. These are works of art, reminders of our history that…we have too often forgotten.
Orsini: of course sir.
Paul II: *spreads arms* do you think Titus or Marcus Aurelius would recognize Rome as she now stands? The Tiber flows through a marble wilderness?
Orsini: *silent*
Paul II: and we must see if we can do something about the Tiber
Orsini: do, Holiness?
Paul II: the flooding. The stench and the disease that follow the flooding drying out.
Orsini: *desperately trying to change the subject* the courier of the cardinal’s hat you sent to England has written with news, Holiness.
Paul II: *almost indifferent* and what news has he?
Orsini: the first is that the duchess of Burgundy has suffered a miscarriage[7]. Another boy, this one of around three and a half months, as the physicians do judge.
Paul II: *crosses himself*
Orsini: the second bit of news is that there is suspicion that King Henry’s wits have failed him once more. He was not present for either Cardinal Neville’s elevation, nor for his granddaughter’s christening on the feast of Saint Ursula[8].
Paul II: are we sure it is his wits and not something mundane as-
Orsini: he apparently keeps insisting that the Princess of Wales gave birth to a son, Holy Father.
Paul II: then England has two kings, two queens, a jack and- *sighs to the statue of Titus* if only someone would’ve left out the fool.

*fade to black*

[1] Pedro I, Marshal of Navarre, leader of the Agramontese, was murdered in the courtyard of the Cour des Comptes OTL
[2] Luiz III, Conde de Lérin (as well as Juan’s son-in-law via his bastard daughter Leonor, since 1468), both the man who murdered Pedro OTL and the leader of the Beaumontese. OTL, he died in 1508. Here, he leaves an infant son.
[3] The broad-brimmed hat of cardinals
[4] While Stanley is associated with the Yorkists, that was actually William (until after Tewkesbury). During the Readeption, Thomas, was in Lancastrian employ
[5] Actually it was. The feast that was given by the Nevilles to celebrate George’s enthronement was royal in scale, and it certainly peeved Edward off. Was just one of the many “missteps” Warwick made
[6] i.e. Marranos (Spanish Jews), referencing Titus’ siege and destruction of Jerusalem
[7] Per King Louis XI’s own correspondence, there are oblique references to Margaret of York having been ill at some point in mid-1471, with Louis suggesting that she will remain ill for a few months yet. But then around autumn 1471, he stops mentioning it. Either indicating that she was found not to be pregnant or that she had suffered a miscarriage.
[8] October 21. I went back and forth on this, since a week earlier (October 13) is the Feast of Saint Edward the Confessor (cue obvious connections), but settled on Ursula. Why? Ursula was – per tradition – an English princess

truly superb chapter, the English intrigues become more and more messed up, while in Spain, we need to remind the inhabitants of Pamplona that perhaps it wasn't better to run with the bulls than to slaughter each other ?, and to end up in eternal Rome we have a funny discussion between Orsini and Paolo, with the latter explaining to a ROMAN nobleman, the importance of preserving and glorifying their history ( furthermore, Florence's time as the undisputed queen of the Renaissance is now coming to an end, because Rome is frighteningly catching up and will outclass it within a few years / a one decade ), there is an immense irony in this, especially if we consider that the Orsini and the Colonna in Otl traced back the their origins to the patrician families of antiquity : however ""Tito"" will be in excellent company, among other statues, bas-reliefs, friezes, ancient inscriptions, copies of frescoes and mosaics ( Michelangelo and his associates were tasked, over the centuries, with reproducing any drawings or bas-reliefs discovered so as to be able to display them in aristocratic and papal residences or in the Capitoline Hill, so as not to ruin the originals ) , ect ( 1 )

1 ) what's even funnier is that a good part of them could come from Monte Testaccio, created artificially from centuries of Roman rubbish ( from Augustus onwards ) up to 36 meters high, the previous site of the carnival before Paolo moved it to Lata street and also the representation of Golgotha during the Via Crucis

ps

in Otl the popes began excavations in ancient Ostia in 1800, but if Paul wants to fix the Tiber it is very likely that he will also have to get his hands on its mouth ( Ostia ) to improve the flow of water and possibly navigation, but so it is very likely that he will come across the enormous ruins of the city, with related findings

Last edited:
truly superb chapter, the English intrigues become more and more messed up
Figured who better than two of the WotR greatest OTL turncoats (Warwick turned on Henry VI, then Edward IV, Stanley turned on Richard III and then Henry Tudor) to have a convo on turning coat?
, while in Spain, we need to remind the inhabitants of Pamplona that perhaps it wasn't better to run with the bulls than to slaughter each other ?,
Its slightly more complicated than that. Since for aat least the next decade, both the Beaumont and Agramont parties are effectively leaderless. OTL, the death of the Marshal of Navarre, led to the pro-Aragonese Lerins gaining the upper hand (Queen Leonor declared the conde and her half-sister "outlaws" for their plotting/treason in 1472 OTL) paving the way for Aragon's takeover when Juan II/Francisco Febo died.
and to end up in eternal Rome we have a funny discussion between Orsini and Paolo, with the latter explaining to a ROMAN nobleman, the importance of preserving and glorifying their history ( furthermore, Florence's time as the undisputed queen of the Renaissance is now coming to an end, because Rome is frighteningly catching up and will outclass it within a few years / a one decade ), there is an immense irony in this, especially if we consider that the Orsini and the Colonna in Otl traced back the their origins to the patrician families of antiquity
I'll admit I wasn't sure exactly what the relationship between Paul and Orsini was like, so I decided to go with Paul "overcompensating"
: however ""Tito"" will be in excellent company, among other statues, bas-reliefs, friezes, ancient inscriptions, copies of frescoes and mosaics ( Michelangelo and his associates were tasked, over the centuries, with reproducing any drawings or bas-reliefs discovered so as to be able to display them in aristocratic and papal residences or in the Capitoline Hill, so as not to ruin the originals ) , ect

ps

in Otl the popes began excavations in ancient Ostia in 1800, but if Paul wants to fix the Tiber it is very likely that he will also have to get his hands on its mouth ( Ostia ) to improve the flow of water and possibly navigation, but so it is very likely that he will come across the enormous ruins of the city, with related findings
How did none of the popes touch Ostia before 1800? Don't get me wrong, it saved it from being looted in the various Italian wars, but it seems like something that would be called out as ASB

Great chapter
thank you

Figured who better than two of the WotR greatest OTL turncoats (Warwick turned on Henry VI, then Edward IV, Stanley turned on Richard III and then Henry Tudor) to have a convo on turning coat?

Its slightly more complicated than that. Since for aat least the next decade, both the Beaumont and Agramont parties are effectively leaderless. OTL, the death of the Marshal of Navarre, led to the pro-Aragonese Lerins gaining the upper hand (Queen Leonor declared the conde and her half-sister "outlaws" for their plotting/treason in 1472 OTL) paving the way for Aragon's takeover when Juan II/Francisco Febo died.

I'll admit I wasn't sure exactly what the relationship between Paul and Orsini was like, so I decided to go with Paul "overcompensating"

How did none of the popes touch Ostia before 1800? Don't get me wrong, it saved it from being looted in the various Italian wars, but it seems like something that would be called out as ASB

thank you

the popes decided not to carry out continuous and massive works in Ostia for two reasons, the first is that as a port it was totally unusable, the second is that technically the city witnessed enough papal funding, but it was occasional, especially
along via dei Romagnoli ( in front of the archaeological area ), where the medieval Renaissance village of Ostia Antica stands, since late antiquity (4th-5th century AD) the area hosted the necropolis of the Christian community of Ostia, born where the tradition placed the tombs of some martyrs. Among these, Santa Aurea stood out, a noble girl who was persecuted at the time of Emperor Claudius the Gothic (268-270 AD) and to whom a first cemetery basilica was dedicated and then restored in the 8th century.

The village became an important refuge for the remaining Ostiense population during the centuries between the 7th and 10th centuries ( 1 ), under Pope Gregory IV (827-844) it was transformed into a fortified citadel, called "Gregoriopoli", in 1400, Martin V had it built a tower surrounded by a moat guarding the Tiber, subsequently, to control the nearby salt pans and commercial traffic on the last navigable stretch of the river, Cardinal Guglielmo d'Estoutville, bishop of Ostia from 1461 to 1483, restored the walls of Gregoriopoli and built three rows of houses inside. terraced ( still inhabited ) almost at the same time the construction of a Castle began, commissioned by Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere and entrusted to the Florentine architect Baccio Pontelli, the complex includes a perimeter circuit of casemates ( firing chambers ) which connects three towers ( one of which incorporated the Martin V ), a 'ravelin' and a large surrounding moat, while the monumental staircase was decorated with polychrome frescoes with the myth of Hercules, attributed to the school of Baldassarre Peruzzi.

The siege of the Duke of Alba (1556), the flood that diverted the course of the Tiber (1557) and the slow formation of malarial swamps determined the decline of the Castle and the abandonment of the village.

The customs function of the fortress passed first to Tor Boacciana and then to Tor San Michele, the city falls into a terrible decay until precisely the 19th century, where the excavations gave new life to the city, allowing it to rise from the ashes, even if it was a very long process and it only picked up a lot of speed under Pius IX and l unification of Italy

1 ) until that time the current city of Ostia did not exist, it was divided into Ostia antica and the city of Porto, after the 10th century they were unified to obtain the modern city

Last edited:
Love the brief bit about Bristol! Now we just gotta find out that Richard can use a bow, lol
the only way to take Bristol would've been either to storm it or bribe someone inside

commissioned by Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere and entrusted to the Florentine architect Baccio Pontelli,
apparently he was only named cardinal by his uncle in the December 1471 conclave, so I wonder if he would even get a look in here?

the only way to take Bristol would've been either to storm it or bribe someone inside

apparently he was only named cardinal by his uncle in the December 1471 conclave, so I wonder if he would even get a look in here?

I honestly don't know, he could probably become a cardinal later, because in any case he had the right skills ( even if it's hard for me to say it ) or he decides to become following his propensity for life as a soldier ( after all, it wouldn't be the first time that a cardinal/cleric leads the army ) or simply remains an important bishop locally, so that he cannot do too much damage

I honestly don't know, he could probably become a cardinal later, because in any case he had the right skills ( even if it's hard for me to say it ) or he decides to become following his propensity for life as a soldier ( after all, it wouldn't be the first time that a cardinal/cleric leads the army ) or simply remains an important bishop locally, so that he cannot do too much damage
Considering his character I doubt who Giuliano will get named as bishop of Cardinal without the papacy of his uncle. Sure he was capable enough on the job but imho he missed the indispensable skillset needed for reaching positions of power

Departing Thus You’ll Hear Him Say...
October 1471

Soundtrack: Innsbruck, ich muß dich lassen

*exterior* *Bristol* *we see Richard, Duke of Gloucester leading men through the city’s postern gate* *the man waits expectantly waits for payment when Richard tells one of his men to “pay him”* *next thing we see the man slump against the wall, then leave a smear of blood*

*exterior* *title card shows Colnbrook* *King Edward IV surveys the result as he receives the Lancastrian surrender from the wounded Earl of Wiltshire*

*interior* *Oxford* *a servant brings Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire the news that she is a widow* *we see her clutch her chest, as though in pain, and stagger towards the wall where she bends over, sobbing[1]*

*interior* *Woodstock Palace* *Edward, Prince of Wales marks on the map that Bristol is now Yorkist, and that Edward has now defeated them at Brentford*
Edward: *sighing* *to a servant* send word for the Earl of Warwick that he is to take to the field.
John Beaufort, Earl of Dorset: *opens his mouth to protest*
Edward: silence, John. The earl of Warwick is to lead our forces until we are able to resume command.
Dorset: your Highness, I must pro-
Edward: our most beloved cousin, while I have no doubt to your military capabilities, you have no experience fighting against the earl of March-
Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke: nor does Milord Warwick
Edward: no...but he has fought with him. That is many times more dangerous. *aside to the audience* then we shall have proof of his treachery. *to Pembroke* I wish for you to confront the duke of Gloucester, he has landed at Bristol. He will advance to his city next. *Dorset* and I wish for you to face my brother of Clarence. He has been sent to Winchester to flank the earl of March's foray into the Thames Valley, towards us.

*cut to Innsbruck* *Emperor Friedrich and his son, Maximilian, as well as Archduke Sigismund and his wife, are turned out to receive Charles, King of Bohemia, Duc de Berri* *the king of Bohemia and Diepold Lobkowitz ride towards them* *on meeting, Berri- in black velvet and pearls- sweeps off his hat and makes a deep bow*
Berri: your Majesty.*about to kneel and kiss Friedrich’s hand*
Friedrich III: *we see Friedrich’s otherwise passive face shift slightly before he raises Berri up and kisses him on both cheeks* my king and my brother, be welcome in our dominions
Berri: it is for us a great honour to render our homage to the august emperor to whom we are so greatly indebted for this honour he has chosen to bestow upon us *offers the hat to Maximilian* we offer this as a humble gift in gratitude of such a fortuitous meeting, your Highness[2]
Maximilian: *looks at his father*
Friedrich: *clearly counting how much the pearls on the hat will fetch* *nods his agreement*
Maximilian: *looks at Charles de Berri s one might a favourite uncle*

*cut to interior* *Friedrich, Sigmund and Charles are seated at a banquet*
Berri: my felicitations, to his Highness for lately welcoming a son into the world.
Sigmund: *nods in acceptance*
Friedrich: and my condolences to your brother of Burgundy to have lost a son *looks at Maximilian and Kunigunde*
Sigmund: of course, double doleur for his Highness, given the other news of which it is best not to speak
Berri: what other news?
Sigmund: your Highness had not heard?
Berri: your face, milord makes me believe a funeral is in prospect.
Friedrich: he refers to the breaking of your betrothal to the duke of Burgundy’s daughter.
Berri: *clearly doing his best to mask his surprise* it was conditional on my acceptance of the Bohemian throne. That I was to wed King Podebrady’s daughter-
Friedrich: ah *nods* then it was you who suggested her marriage to the duke of Lorraine[3]?
Berri: no, Majesty...last I had heard, he was still engaged to my niece.
Sigmund: *credulously* so the duke of Burgundy was the one to break faith then- both with you, sir, and with your brother.
Friedrich: can anyone claim surprise? The man is brother-in-law to King Edward but has made no secret of his support for King Henry.
Berri: and now he betrothes his daughter to Queen Marguerite’s nephew-
Sigmund: and his son to her granddaughter.
Berri: then it is a granddaughter then?
Friedrich: that is what the official announcement read. Although one could see the letters were drafted when they believed it would still be a boy- at least that is what my secretary tells me. *suddenly* have you given any thought to your arrival in Prague, sir? This recent…unpleasantness with King Matthias in Hungary might suggest it would be prudent to tarry awhile.
Berri: unpleasantness?
Sigmund: most unpleasant. It has come to light in the last few weeks that there was a great conspiracy among the Hungarian nobility who planned to be rid of the king.
Berri: is that so?
Sigmund: yes. Most grave. *nods seriously* the chancellor- Cardinal Vitez- was plotting with the Queen of Poland- who, as you know, detests King Matthias- to see one of her sons on the throne.
Berri: and the king?
Friedrich: he was saved- by, of all things, a hunting accident- one of the co-conspirators mistook hearing the king had fallen from his horse for that the king was dead, and went through the streets crying “Long live King Ladislaus” or Kasimir or…whichever of her sons she planned to put on the throne of her dear departed brother. –King Matthias- who only broke his arm- had the man arrested and he proved…only too eager to name his fellow plotters.
*heavy silence hangs in the air*
Berri: I am touched by your Majesty’s concern for my well-being, but I feel that to delay my departure to Prague even a day, might give further rise to discontent among the Bohemians. After all, if a cardinal were to have been involved, even the pope blessing my crown might not be assurance enough.

*next morning* *Berri and his retinue set off*
Friedrich: what a bold idiot.
Maximilian: *still wearing the hat* Father?
Friedrich: he rides to his certain doom- but, so long as he sends the five thousand soldiers he promised before he has the misfortune to die, he will have served his purpose admirably. [4]

*fade to black*

[1] I’m sorry, I don’t buy Call-Me-Doctor Gregory’s depiction of Margaret Beaufort that she’s this cold-hearted bitch who spent her life at prayer. She may have been pious and ambitious, but her treatment of her son and grandchildren shows a far softer side.
[2] Berri announces that he would render homage, but doesn’t actually do so- which, to Friedrich’s mind, already makes him “better” than both Philippe of Burgundy (who refused to do homage in 1448 and 1455) as well as Charles the Bold. Likewise, his garb- simple, if expensive- and lack of entourage aside from Lobkowitz, is less unsettling than the Burgundians who came dressed to the nines and with a quasi-imperial cavalcade.
On Berri’s part, this “debasing” has its purpose as well. He needs to pass through Friedrich III’s lands in order to arrive in Prague, and given the accusation that the man murdered his rival/predecessor, Ladislaus the Posthumous, Berri treats him as he would Louis XI: watchful and wary.
An important thing to remember is that unlike Charles the Bold, Berri is an intrigant not arrogant- I have no delusions that he could be arrogant- but Burgundy’s arrogance was born from being an only son and a powerful ruler. Berri’s neither.
[3] Nicolas d’Anjou. While OTL, the match was only changed up due to Berri's death, given that Isabel Neville has mentioned Marguerite d'Anjou opening negotiations for Marie (should Anne have died in childbirth), I doubt Charles the Bold would pass up a better opportunity. Why Nicolas? As mentioned, he's Marguerite's nephew, while a match with Edward of Westminster's daughter is desirable, it's also an age of uncertainty in childhood (see Friedrich's own remark). Nicolas-Marie can get married within the next year.
[4] the amount of soldiers- and a Crusade against the Turk- was actually what Friedrich wanted from Charles the Bold in September 1471, when offering him a higher crown. Charles refused any higher crown except that of king of the Romans. And even encouraged Friedrich to abdicate his "more onerous" duties. Here, Charles de Berri gives Friedrich a "more naïve" alternative to both Matyas/Charles the Bold. As pointed out above, Berri doesn't have Charles' power to refuse. He simply smiles, nods and is on his way. After all, that promise gives the emperor a reason to permit his departure, since I doubt Berri's entourage is even 500 men at arms, much less 5000

Really interesting
I felt that Friedrich is the sort of cold and calculating bastard- not unlike Louis XI, actually- that would help his rivals/enemies from the frying pan into the fire if it benefited him . As for Archduke Sigmund, while he's often described as a dolt and "prematurely senile", he was Friedrich III's usual go-between with Charles the Bold, and played a major role in getting Max and Marie together by being a big supporter of the marriage OTL.

And to Sigmund's character, I find him an interesting conundrum, particularly due to the description. History is often unkind to him and saying "yes, but he sold his territories to Charles the Bold". The territories he leased were in Alsace, mostly ones that had previously been under the rule of Friedrich III's brother, Albrecht. These were the domain of robber barons and local lords that Sigmund would've wasted money and soldiers trying to clear out- since most of those barons were backed by the emperor against his cousin. Ergo, sold them to Charles the Bold, he lets the far richer and more powerful Charles clean up the area for him.

Sigmund's "lack of interest" in expansion is also shown as a lie by the fact that he bought up Elizabeth of Bregenz, Comtesse de Montfort's lands to expand his own domain. How did he buy her lands? Her son-in-law/heir was one of those infamous wastrels that abounds and put her in extreme financial difficulties. Siggie bought over her lands and paid off her debts. With money that he got from Burgundy (100000 Rhenish guilders as a start, followed by quarterly installments). He also repeatedly attempted to annex the prince-bishopric of Brixen to the Tyrolean lands, but was thwarted in this by Friedrich III and the pope in turn

In short, Siggie's sale of the lands in Alsace, buying up the Bregenz inheritance, even attempting to annex Brixen, strikes me as very similar to Friedrich III in getting others to do the heavy lifting for him because he either couldn't afford to or didn't have the army to do so.

I felt that Friedrich is the sort of cold and calculating bastard- not unlike Louis XI, actually- that would help his rivals/enemies from the frying pan into the fire if it benefited him . As for Archduke Sigmund, while he's often described as a dolt and "prematurely senile", he was Friedrich III's usual go-between with Charles the Bold, and played a major role in getting Max and Marie together by being a big supporter of the marriage OTL.

And to Sigmund's character, I find him an interesting conundrum, particularly due to the description. History is often unkind to him and saying "yes, but he sold his territories to Charles the Bold". The territories he leased were in Alsace, mostly ones that had previously been under the rule of Friedrich III's brother, Albrecht. These were the domain of robber barons and local lords that Sigmund would've wasted money and soldiers trying to clear out- since most of those barons were backed by the emperor against his cousin. Ergo, sold them to Charles the Bold, he lets the far richer and more powerful Charles clean up the area for him.

Sigmund's "lack of interest" in expansion is also shown as a lie by the fact that he bought up Elizabeth of Bregenz, Comtesse de Montfort's lands to expand his own domain. How did he buy her lands? Her son-in-law/heir was one of those infamous wastrels that abounds and put her in extreme financial difficulties. Siggie bought over her lands and paid off her debts. With money that he got from Burgundy (100000 Rhenish guilders as a start, followed by quarterly installments). He also repeatedly attempted to annex the prince-bishopric of Brixen to the Tyrolean lands, but was thwarted in this by Friedrich III and the pope in turn

In short, Siggie's sale of the lands in Alsace, buying up the Bregenz inheritance, even attempting to annex Brixen, strikes me as very similar to Friedrich III in getting others to do the heavy lifting for him because he either couldn't afford to or didn't have the army to do so.
That is interesting…

for Bressanone it was mainly the fault of Nicolò Cusano who had become bishop in that period from 1450 to 1464, who had important friendships in the Vatican... given that he was a pupil of two pontiffs ( i ncluding Nicolò V ), a personal friend of Pius II and papal legate in Germany ( as well as occasionally covering the role of Chancellor / Ambassador of Frederick III ) if for this reason many minor ecclesiastical neighbors in Swabia asked for the support of Cardinal Cusano against the attempts of the local potentates to usurp / annex them, precisely looking at his iron opposition and protection of his rights against Sigismund

Last edited: