Anne de Pisseleu d'Heilly
Anne
“At last I am right with God”
(Francis on Anne)

“I shall remember this final kindness until the day I die”
(Anne on Francis)

In his last years, Francis grew more and more depressed and more and more debauched. In vain he tried to drown his sorrows in wine and loose women. Through it all Anne de Pisseleu d'Heilly maintained her reign as Francis’s chief, but by no means only, mistress.

As the King lay on his deathbed he had a sudden attack of religious fervor. He summoned his mistress and a priest. On his deathbed, to the surprise of all, the King took Anne de Pisseleu d'Heilly to be his sixth and final wife. Afterward, he confessed his sins, and shortly after that, King Francis passed away.

Anne’s new status meant that the new King Henri and his wife Maria of Portugal, could not exile her from court or seize her assets as they had planned. This last brief marriage had been an enormous kindness, one that Anne would remember until the day she died.

Wasn’t it illegal to marry someone on their death bed according to the Church? Frederick II of HRE got his last marriage invalidated by the Church because he married his mistress on her death bed as a reverse last bit of kindness, and to legitimate his bastards with her.

Wasn’t it illegal to marry someone on their death bed according to the Church? Frederick II of HRE got his last marriage invalidated by the Church because he married his mistress on her death bed as a reverse last bit of kindness, and to legitimate his bastards with her.
If I remember correctly, the problem came about because Frederick had children. Francis and Anne didn’t have children, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

If I remember correctly, the problem came about because Frederick had children. Francis and Anne didn’t have children, so it shouldn’t be an issue.
Politically yes, but according to the laws of the Church, not really because of the children. Plenty of nobles have married their mistresses whom they already had children with, like John of Gaunt for example. This marriages usually lead to an attempt to legitimise the children with the mistress.

Thank you to everyone who expressed enthusiasm for continuing the timeline. I had a final so I was unable to get much work done on the family tree. However, I did work on the first of the children before I did my final. I will post that chapter now.

Louise
Louise
Francis's first child with Claude was a little girl. The young Queen had hoped to name her daughter Anne, after her recently deceased mother. However, Louise of Savoy would have none of it. Instead the girl was named Louise, for the King's mother. The one thing that Claude and her mother-in-law agreed upon was an undying love for the little girl and her siblings. She was betrothed to Charles V at one point to mend ties between her father and the Emperor. This betrothal was ended by the death of the little girl, at the age of just three. Her family was devastated.

Louise
Francis's first child with Claude was a little girl. The young Queen had hoped to name her daughter Anne, after her recently deceased mother. However, Louise of Savoy would have none of it. Instead the girl was named Louise, for the King's mother. The one thing that Claude and her mother-in-law agreed upon was an undying love for the little girl and her siblings. She was betrothed to Charles V at one point to mend ties between her father and the Emperor. This betrothal was ended by the death of the little girl, at the age of just three. Her family was devastated.
Wouldn't this be better in its own thread?