Tokyo politically separate from rest of Japan

Tokyo city has like a tenth of the population of Japan, and its metropolitan area is three times the size of the city or so. There have been anime and other fiction where Tokyo is separated from the rest of the country by supernatural means.

But what if the city was politically separated, probably as a consequence of World War II? Could the city be self-sufficient or otherwise be supplied by whatever political entity exists outside of Japan? How would both polities persist in such a situation?

For the record, this is where I got the idea from, but I could I imagine this sort of thing might also happen in other anime

I don't know what that is, I just assumed a lot of anime and Japanese media had kooky things happening to Tokyo in the same way stuff always happens to New York in American fiction.

I don't know what that is, I just assumed a lot of anime and Japanese media had kooky things happening to Tokyo in the same way stuff always happens to New York in American fiction.
With the double think is also japanese DC but as whiny politician are chiyoda is barely mentioned