'Twas a Famous Victory

The Battle of Bleinham was a massive English victory over the French during the War of Spanish Succession. What if the French somehow managed to win? Would they win the overall war? If they did, how would it effect European history? Would "the Pyrenees no longer exist"?

The Battle of Bleinham was a massive English victory over the French during the War of Spanish Succession. What if the French somehow managed to win? Would they win the overall war? If they did, how would it effect European history? Would "the Pyrenees no longer exist"?

The armies were basically equal. It was leadership that did it for the Allies (who were as was aways the case right up to 1815 mostly Germans with plenty of Dutch): they had Marlborough and Eugene co-operating and the French had two mediocre marshalls and the elector of Bavaria disagreeing. If we were to somehow give the allies a divided and so-so command, and the French a united and skilled one, I see no reason why the cards shouldn't have fallen the other way.

How quickly the war will end would depend on how decisive the victory is, but it will certainly swing things toward France there way. If an allied army is still in existence, there might be fight in the still, but if Vienna is exposed peace will be made quickly. I'd imagine a similar sort of peace: Bourbon Spain, but with important parts of her empire carved up. The partition will be more advantageous to her and France, however. This will mainfest in Italy, most likely, perhaps with Spain keeping her southern possesions and France getting the northern ones. I don't think France could win so decisively as to get "Belgium": nobody ever did in the 18th century. The Pyrenees will almost certainly still exist, as even during the was the idea of all Bourbons acting as one had been shown as alarmism, never mind four years after it when Spain went to war with France... a Bourbon Spain brought about in this manner would be less revanchist, but I'm not sure what alliances that would lead her to make. She might focus on the colonies and ally against Britain.

Butterflies will be huge. British politics are completely changed by an early end to the war and no Tory treason. I'm sure there are other political butterflies. An earlier end means that everybody will be able to start mucking around in the Great Northern War earlier too. There are probably big effects on America.

No Blenheim Palace. :(

Last edited:

Well i'm not to sure but Bleinham was a last ditch attempt to protect Vienna, so the city would come under seige

Well i'm not to sure but Bleinham was a last ditch attempt to protect Vienna, so the city would come under seige

When you're in Swabia and your target is in Lower Austria, you haven't reahced the last ditch yet. If the French win as decisively as the Allies OTL, Vienna could be menaced (if Vienna being besieged was a possibility, Austria would probably just make peace), but if an allied army continues to exist, things might not be so clean-cut. The French, after all, recovered very well from Blenheim.