Good really good the only thing that seemed off is this
Theodoric leads the Ostrogoths (reinforced by Thracian Goths, Bulgars and even defecting Roman soldiers) to victory against an army led by John the Scythian in the Battle of Traianopolis. The overall situation is compounded by the Sassanid Empire ravaging settlements on the Roman side of the border
I mean the sassanids in 498 are well almost bankrupt kavad in this year or next year is marching an army of hephthalites to iran to regain his thorne same action that caused him to be in debt to them and adding as how they where very powerful one of khavad main reason for the anastasian war was thar he paid of the debt via raiding this would not apply to Jamasp or the sasanid nobility .

Good really good the only thing that seemed off is this

I mean the sassanids in 498 are well almost bankrupt kavad in this year or next year is marching an army of hephthalites to iran to regain his thorne same action that caused him to be in debt to them and adding as how they where very powerful one of khavad main reason for the anastasian war was thar he paid of the debt via raiding this would not apply to Jamasp or the sasanid nobility .
Good catch, thank you for mentioning that. I edited that section in AD 498, keeping the focus on Theodoric. I think I will have to focus on the relations between the Sassanids and Eastern Romans ITTL, but I need to do some research on them first in order to figure out how they would fit into this alternate history. I doubt they'll matter much to the WRE and Western Europe in the 500s AD, but the ERE is under different management and I think it could be interesting to consider how things might be different compared to the OTL.

Last edited:
Good catch, thank you for mentioning that. I edited that section, keeping the focus on Theodoric. I think I will have to focus on the relations between the Sassanids and Eastern Romans ITTL, but I need to do some research on them first in order to figure out how they would fit into this alternate history. I doubt they'll matter much to the WRE and Western Europe in the 500s AD, but the ERE is under different management and I think it could be interesting to consider how things might be different compared to the OTL.
Well the 5th century was the longest period of peace with 2 brief very short wars between Rome and Persia each had to deal with their own respective problems sasanid persia was not good in the late 5th century and the hephthalites where essentially the power there and while defeated by sukra they are still really powerful as seen by kavad using them to get the throne
The anastasian war despite being short and minor it's was kinda like ww1 in the senses that It would lead to the events and future wars of the Byzantines and Persians
The anastasian war led to the Byzantine distrust of Persia and they began to violate previous treaties this is why they constructed dara which pissed off the persians
When Justin wanted to adopt khosrow I the court feared that it was a trick and the begining of a secret plot by the persians to take him in ( results of the anastian war speaking ) and made thar whole barberian adoption thing justinian didn't support khosrow when his brother tried to claim power and it all culminated with the Byzantine sasanid war of 602 that as we know brought nothing to both empires
And in 25 years the Muslims destroyed the sasanid empire and severly limited the ere
So yeah it was a huge butterfly that led to many more things

Timeline (Part 5-B)
PART 5-B (AD 500 to AD 510)

Eastern Roman Empire / Ostrogoths

By Leontius’ death the Eastern Roman Empire is in a crisis. The presence of the Ostrogoths in Macedonia is intolerable to Constantinople; as such, the Imperial Court pressures their new ruler, Emperor Olybrius, to expel the invaders from a core region of the Eastern Empire. Being a scion of the Theodosian dynasty and a member of the senatorial aristocracy affords Olybrius more good will from the Roman ruling class than his immediate predecessors ever received, but even he knows that his hold on power, likely his very survival, will be influenced by the war with the Ostrogoths. He appoints John the Hunchback, the general who defeated John the Scythian, to lead Imperial forces as Magister Militum per Thracias.

Although John is an able military leader, Theodoric the Amal is also a proven warrior who has defeated the armies of the Eastern Empire as well as other Germanic and Gothic tribes on multiple occasions. Fortunately for John, Theodoric’s forces are divided when the magister militum leads his army into Macedonia. The king sent his relative, Sidimund, with an army to subjugate the southern provinces of Epirus Veus, Thessalia, and Achaea preferably through diplomacy and force when necessary.

Arriving in the province Macedonia I, John’s army swiftly captures Serrae and Philippi, almost putting the Romans in striking distance of Thessalonica, Theodoric’s chosen capital. Although the city has the defenses and supplies to withstand a siege long enough for Sidimund to return from Achaea, Theodoric is confident enough in his abilities to defeat the Hunchback’s forces. However, those closest to him suspect that the king’s time in Macedonia has fed his ego as he increasingly styles himself as a successor of Alexander the Great.

The cities that John’s army took are reclaimed by Theodoric, who forces the Imperial army out of Macedonia I. The Ostrogoths begin an aggressive campaign into Thracia as Theodoric believes he can force Constantinople to agree to another settlement in order to save their capital diocese from further destruction. His army sacks Nicopolis and burns down Philippopolis, but their momentum is halted at Hadrianopolis where John’s army gains their first major victory with the aid of the Excubitores. Whereas their counterparts, the Sholae Palatinae, have deteriorated into a ceremonial force fit for parade-ground formations, the Excubitores are renowned as elite units despite numbering around three-hundred strong. The entire regiment is deployed from the capital (which is still defended by the Scholae) under the leadership of Justin (Flavius Justinus), the Comes Excubitorum.

Theodoric’s initial success is reversed by his defeat at Hadrianopolis, resulting in the Ostrogoths’ retreat to Macedonia with John and Justin in pursuit. Theodoric sacrifices his hold on Thessalonica to regroup with his people who have had greater success establishing a foothold in the diocese of Daciae, abandoning his dreams of ruling a Gothic empire centered in Alexander’s homeland. Sigimund follows his relative’s example by retreating north, and the liberation of Greece is effectively realized.

Humbled by defeat, Theodoric sends an envoy to Constantinople with an overture for peace. He offers to relinquish his claim on the Macedonia diocese in exchange for the right to permanently settle his people in Daciae as official Foederati, creating a vassal state between the Romans and the Gepids as well as other Germanic tribes north of the lower Danube. Olybrius is in favor of the proposed agreement but they encounter strong resistance from the Roman Court who are supported by the Emperor’s mother. Anicia Juliana’s pro-Roman views have only grown stronger since her son’s accession, and she balks at the idea of giving Roman land away to “barbarian interlopers” which she views as the policy that all but destroyed the Western Empire.

Areobindus takes the side of his wife, fearing that Theodoric will betray them at the earliest opportunity, but Olybrius overrules both of them. The Eastern Empire’s coffers can more than manage without the mountainous regions of Daciae, and allowing the Ostrogoths to guard the lower Danube provinces relieves pressure on the Imperial Army. The settlement is finalized by AD 503.

1603845531787.png

D · N · O L Y B R I V S · P · F · A V G V S T V S
Emperor of the Romans (East)

The eastern Romans and Ostrogoths remain at peace until Amalaberge, Empress of the Western Empire, convinces Theodoric to break his truce with Constantinople. After effectively usurping the West through her son Gordian IV, Amalaberge was confronted by Olybrius’ emissaries who demanded that their master’s lawful colleague, Romulus Augustus, be released from the Castellum Lucullanum. Although Amalaberge maintained the official stance that her husband and son ruled the Western Empire, no one was fooled by this legal fiction. While the Eastern Court had grown to accept Romulus’ reign despite his rise to power through rebellion, they would not tolerate leaving Italy in the hands of a barbarian-born woman regardless of her station as a Roman empress.

Amalaberge retaliates by undermining the Eastern Empire’s relationship with the Ostrogoths, using her correspondence with Theodoric to reignite his ambition to rule over a de facto independent Gothic kingdom. Although she maintains the majority of her son’s army in Italy to maintain her hold on power, she does send to him a force of Heruli, Scirii and other Germanic nations that have been settled in Italy. This relatively small force is supplemented by an army of Rugians, whose king, Fridericus II, is Amalaberge’s grandson as well as Theodoric’s relative through his other grandmother Gisa (wife of King Feletheus).

After negotiating a truce with the Gepids, Theodoric returns to Macedonia in AD 506, though not to settle there as he once intended. Now he wishes to avenge the humiliation that he suffered by ravaging as much of the diocese that the Eastern Empire places so much value upon. While the Ostrogoths maintained their side of the agreement for three years, John the Hunchback’s army remained in Macedonia as a countermeasure against such betrayal. This time, however, his army is crushed on the battlefield. It is not simply another defeat; his forces are annihilated and John dies in the fighting, leaving most of the Macedonia diocese vulnerable to invasion.

The various barbarians in his army hold nothing back as their king allows them to burn and pillage the settlements in their path, including Heraclea, Edessa, Beroea, and even Alexander’s birthplace of Pella. The following Sack of Thessalonica is particularly barbaric. Chalcedonian churches and monasteries, as well as palaces and villas, are looted and destroyed. They slaughter thousands of Romans and non-Romans alike, and force almost as much into slavery. The fall of Thessalonica has a psychological and economic impact on the Eastern Empire; by then it was the second largest city in the East and considered second only to Constantinople.

Olybrius is humiliated by Theodoric’s betrayal and levies a new army led by Theocritus, his Comes Domesticorum, to retaliate against the Ostrogoths. As a general, Theocritus turns out to be nowhere close to Theodoric’s caliber, and the majority of his soldiers are conscripted Thracian and Illyrian peasants supported by a minority of veterans. They are wiped out by the battle-hardened warriors led by a vengeful Gothic king. Theocritus flees back to Constantinople, leaving his men to die, and is put to death as a failure and a coward. Olybrius also executes Armantius, his chamberlain who advised sending Theocritus against Theodoric.

Theodoric unleashes his wrath on Thracia before Olybrius can summon reinforcements from Anatolia. He does not give into the impulse of trying to conquer Constantinople, instead resorting to his usual strategy of plundering the countryside. Their pillaging continues for several months until Justin, who was rewarded with the late Flavius Illus’ post as magister militum per Orientum, returns with an army of more experienced soldiers. Despite expectations on both sides, Olybrius hesitates to accept battle as he is convinced that another major defeat will mean the end of his reign. He uses Justin’s army as a threat instead. This time it is the Emperor who makes an overture of peace to the Ostrogoths, whose king agrees under the condition that Constantinople continues to recognize his rule over the Daciae diocese and pays thousands of pounds in gold and silver on a yearly basis.

1603845925121.png

The Gothic Wars devastated the the Thracian and Macedonian provinces of the Eastern Roman Empire.
Theodoric the Goth, as he was later called, embodied the barbarian stereotype for generations of Romans, even though he was raised in Constantinople.

Olybrius resorts to propaganda to salvage his reputation, arguing that he has “defeated” Theodoric and saved the provinces of Macedonia from further Gothic attacks. Despite remaining in power through the influence of his parents, Areobindus and Anicia Juliana, Olybrius is irreparably damaged to the whole of the Roman world. Contemporary and future scholars compare him to Honorius, and regard the Sack of Thessalonica as comparable to the Sack of Rome in AD 410.

Theodoric returns to his new capital, Naissus (birthplace of Constantine the Great), with the wealth of Macedonia that he plundered over the years. While he has gained the reputation of a bloodthirsty barbarian, he is to an extent assimilated into Roman culture due to his upbringing in Constantinople, albeit as a political hostage. He uses his newfound wealth to initiate a building program throughout his kingdom, restoring aqueduct, preserving ancient monuments and constructing new palaces and churches. While he favors Arianism, he begins to temper his treatment of the Chalcedonian population in his realm, exercising a degree of restraint that he had all but lost in the Gothic Wars. In gratitude to Amalaberge, he allows her brother Thela to return to Ravenna. He also binds himself even closer to the Western Empire by proposing a marriage between Geleswintha, one of his illegitimate daughters by an Illyrian concubine, and Gordian IV. Amalaberge agrees despite the protests of the Western Court, and the union produces a daughter, Gordia, in AD 509.

Amalaberge’s death in AD 510 threatens Theodoric’s influence with the Western Empire. Using his connection with Gordian IV, his son-in-law as a pretext, he sends his sword-bearer Theudis to oversee his interests in Ravenna. Magister Officiorum Boëthius allows Theudis to join the Imperial Court to maintain strong relations with the Ostrogoths, especially as the Pope’s faction in Rome moves to secure Romulus Augustus as their figurehead.

1603846579100.png

Although Theodoric was mainly remembered for his military exploits, he was also a patron of Roman and Christian art.
During his reign, he commissioned the Basilica of the Holy Emperor Constantine in his new capital of Naissus.

Last edited:
I am surprised that Olybrius hasn't yet had to face any major internal crises despite the Sack and the inaction afterwards. Better men had to face far worse, for much less.
Also I see that the Emperor's personal auctoritas has risen beyond that of his parents. Good for him.

Also how are the finances of the Eastern court right now? What with having to raise armies from the scratch and the tribute being paid to the Amal (and the Sassanids iirc?).

Note: Part 5-C will be the next update focusing on Western Europe (Roman Gaul, Visigoths, Burgundians and Franks) and Africa (Vandal Kingdom, Berbers) with mentions here and there about their relations with the Western or Eastern Empires. It will also cover the time period from AD 500 to AD 510 like the last two updates. Future updates will go forward into AD 511 and so on.

I am surprised that Olybrius hasn't yet had to face any major internal crises despite the Sack and the inaction afterwards. Better men had to face far worse, for much less.
Also I see that the Emperor's personal auctoritas has risen beyond that of his parents. Good for him.

Also how are the finances of the Eastern court right now? What with having to raise armies from the scratch and the tribute being paid to the Amal (and the Sassanids iirc?).
Olybrius' reign was rather successful at first, defeating Theodoric in the first phase of the Gothic Wars. It's only by AD 506 that things take a turn for the worse. As a result his reign is less secure by AD 510 than it was several years before, and I would imagine that, descendant of Theodosius or not, there are people who would like to see him go. But then again there would be those who need to keep him in power as their fortunes and lives are tethered to his fate. Honorius is by most accounts one of the least capable emperors in Roman history, but he lasted for decades. I'm not saying that would be the case with Olybrius, but it's still possible.

As for the Eastern Roman economy, I would say it's not great compared to what it was in OTL AD 510, which is a more stable year than the version of TTL, but I don't think it's catastrophic yet either. The Eastern Empire suffered disasters before (Adrianople), paid a fortune to keep Attila at bay, and endured civil wars over the throne and external threats from the Sassanids. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't until the Plague of Justinian and the Arab conquests that the Byzantine economy fell into stagnation and decline.

Last edited:
As for the Eastern Roman economy, I would say it's not great compared to what it was in OTL AD 510, which is a more stable year than the version of TTL, but I don't think it's catastrophic yet either. The Eastern Empire suffered disasters before (Adrianople), paid a fortune to keep Attila at bay, and endured civil wars over the throne and external threats from the Sassanids. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't until the Plague of Justinian and the Arab conquests that the Byzantine economy fell into stagnation and decline.
Considering the relatively calm borders with the Sassanids, most of the Eastern Empire from Egypt to Anatolia would most likely be doing just fine in the economic department. At this point, the Romans can still more or less control the entirely of the Eastern Mediterranian.

I don’t think they’re planning on selling this idea.
you misunderstood what i meant if you look at the bottom of the page you will see an area that says thread marks if you open it you will see an line of story posts that are linked for easy reading

you misunderstood what i meant if you look at the bottom of the page you will see an area that says thread marks if you open it you will see an line of story posts that are linked for easy reading
😑
I am well aware of what you meant. I was making a joke about your misspelling hence the bolded word, I’ve been around the internet and forums long enough that I know how things work. Clearly I’ll have remember place a laughing smiley afterwards in future.

😑
I am well aware of what you meant. I was making a joke about your misspelling hence the bolded word, I’ve been around the internet and forums long enough that I know how things work. Clearly I’ll have remember place a laughing smiley afterwards in future.

ah right and sorry i did not get your joke i did not know you were kidding/joking

Timeline (Part 5-C)
PART 5-C (AD 500 to AD 510)
Western Europe
  • Gesalec, king of the Visigoths in Gaul, gains a peace treaty with the Gallo-Roman domain ruled by the usurper Aurelian II in order to focus on his civil war with Theodoric III, who proclaimed himself king in Hispania.

• Sigismund succeeds his uncle, Chilperic II, as king of the Burgundians. Although Sigismund is the son of the late Gundobad, who attempted fratricide in order to take over the whole kingdom, Chilperic lacks a male heir to inherit his throne. Having effectively adopted Sigismund after Gundobad’s death, he allows his would-be killer’s son to succeed him.

• Chroma, sister of Clotilde, marries the new king, Sigismund, in accordance with her late father’s will. The royal marriage secures Sigismund’s status as Chilperic’s successor, and the fact that he is a former Arian-turned-Catholic convert makes him an ideal match to Chroma, who, like her sister, leans towards the orthodox persuasion of Chalcedonian Christianity and against Arianism.

• Aurelian II transfers the Gallo-Roman capital from Noviodunum to Paris (Civitas Parisiorum), where he courts the favor of the Gallo-Roman clergy by building churches and abbeys. He also restores to the churches the valuables that were pillaged by Clovis when the Franks were pillaging Gaul. By doing this, he gains favor not only with the Catholic community in Gaul, but also the Holy See of Rome which holds increasing sway with the Western Imperial Court.

• Victrorina, daughter of Romulus Augustus and Amalaberge, and wife of the Frankish king Clovis, gives birth to a son in AD 502. Despite Clovis’ objections, she gives him a Catholic baptism under the name Constantine (Constantinus). Their marriage produces more children over the decade:
    • Basina (b. AD 504), a daughter named after Clovis’ mother
    • Meroveus (b. AD 507), a son named after Clovis’ grandfather (Latinized version)
    • Chlodovechus (b. AD 510), a son named after his father Clovis (Latinized version)

• Gesalec’s army makes progress by capturing Caesaraugusta, capital of Tarraconensis. Although much of the province remains under the control of Theodoric III, the valuable coastal cities of Barcino, Tarraco, and Dertosa are exposed to attack.

• Aurelian II breaks his treaty of non-aggression with the Visigothic king Gesalec, intnding to re-conquer the lost Roman diocese of Septem Provinicae (Viennensis) while the Visigoths in Gaul are distracted by a civil war with their kinsmen in Hispania. His army captures Burdigala and Segodunum to the south, putting the Gallo-Roman forces in striking distance of the Visigoths’ Gallic capital Tolosa.

• Gesalec fails to return to Tolosa in time to prevent its fall to Aurelian II. Having made it as far as Narbo by the time his capital falls, he establishes the city as his new seat of power to secure the Septimania and Provence as the last remaining Visigothic territories in Gaul.

• Clovis breaks his treaty of non-aggression with Aurelian II by invading the Roman territory in northern Gaul, ostensibly to support the claim of his wife’s family to the region as the ruling Imperial house of the Western Empire. He captures Durocortorum, Samarobriva, and Rotomagus before laying siege to the capital Paris.

• After Paris falls, he has his eldest son proclaimed Emperor Constantine IV in opposition to the usurper Aurelian II. Victorina sends messengers to her mother and brother, Amalaberge and Gordian IV, asking for Ravenna to recognize her and Clovis’ son as a co-emperor in the West. As Constantine is too young to rule in his own right, Clovis and Victorina establish a regency to govern in his place, effectively making the occupied Gallo-Roman territory a vassal state of the Frankish Kingdom.

• Amalaberge dies before her grandson Constantine IV can be confirmed as a legitimate co-emperor in the West. The political situation is too uncertain in the wake of her death, with the Imperial Court at Ravenna taking control of Gordian IV while the Papacy in Rome brings Romulus Augustus under its protection as a counterbalance to the Imperial capital. The issue of Constantine’s Imperial legitimacy falls into abeyance.

• Aurelian II negotiates a new treaty with Gesalec to re-focus his attention on the north as Clovis’s army marches on Aurelianum. Neither Aurelian II nor Gesalec expect the other to honor the treaty for long. However, both are too preoccupied with other enemies (Clovis for Aurelian II; Theodoric III for Gesalec) to continue fighting each other for the time being.
Africa
  • Relations between the Vandals and the Eastern Empire become more stabilized through the accession of Hilderic, who, in addition to his Theodosian lineage, favors the Chalcedonian faith of his Roman mother.

• After his Roman cousin, Olybrius, ascends to the Imperial throne in Constantinople, the two descendants of Theodosius the Great seek to bind the Roman and Vandal nations a little closer by betrothing Hilderic’s son, Valentinian, to Proba, a daughter of Olybrius.

• Despite the Eastern Court’s reservations about a potential future Emperor who is part Vandal, the match is supported by Olybrius’ mother, Anicia Juliana, who looks on Hilderic favorably due to their shared Roman heritage, family relation, and mutual support for Catholic orthodoxy against Arian heresy.

• Serena, the mother of Valentinian, also supports her son’s betrothal to an eastern Roman princess, not only because it strengthens her family’s hold on power, but also to gain a substantial dowry in the sum of roughly 2,000 pounds’ worth of gold.

• At age ten, Valentinian is sent to live with his future wife and her family in Constantinople. Despite the improved relations between the Vandals and Romans, he is as much a hostage as he is an honored guest of the Imperial Court. His presence in Roman capital is meant to ensure that the Vandals remain faithful to their treaty with the Eastern Empire, which precludes trade or any type of relationship with Theodoric the Amal and his Ostrogoths.

• While Valentinian is still expected to accede the Vandal throne, Wisimar is increasingly promoted as heir presumptive in his older brother’s absence. A faction of influential Vandals at court invest in him to secure the kingdom’s future, believing they could be subjugated by the Eastern Empire if Valentinian becomes Emperor of the Romans and King of the Vandals.

• Hilderic institutes an unprecedented policy of religious toleration towards the Catholic Church in the Vandal Kingdom. He favors the faith of his Roman heritage over that of his Vandal side, even though the Germanic subjects, in particular the Vandal ruling elite, are entrenched in Arianism. He is a converted Catholic by the time of his accession, but he also avoids making it public on the counsel of his wife, Serena, who wishes to keep the Vandal nobility in line.

• They take small steps at first, recalling exiled bishops and restoring church property. While Arian representatives protest the king’s actions, they are supported by the Romano-African lay elite who see the part-Roman and part-Vandal monarch as their champion.

• As time passes, Hilderic grows more bold in expressing his religious leanings. He rescinds his predecessors’ royal edicts prohibiting the Chalcedonian clergy from holding assemblies or carrying out baptisms and ordinations. More Nicene/Chalcedonian churches are reopened, and the ones that had been converted for Arian use are restored to the Catholic Church by royal decree.

• Ionnes, a native of mixed Roman-Berber heritage from Utica, rises to a position of authority in the Vandal army through his affair with the queen Serena. Unaware of his wife’s infidelity, Hilderic, who has little interest in the military, is influenced by Serena to promote Ionnes over his own nephew Hoamer. Ionnes proves to be a talented commander, achieving victory in the field against the Berber tribes in Byzacena. He forces the capitulation of several tribes, including the Christian Frexenses. Antalas, son of the Frexenses chieftain Guenfan, is one of the hostages who are taken to Carthage to ensure that the Berbers in Byzacena remain pacified.

1604017594985.png

1604021071033.png

AD 510 (MAP & KEY)

Last edited:
Characters (AD 510)
CHARACTERS (AD 510)
1604044279734.png

ROMULUS AUGUSTUS
Although he is still officially the Emperor of the Romans in the West, Romulus Augustus has lived effectively under house arrest in the Castellum Lucullanum while his son, Gordian IV, has taken his place as a figurehead of the Imperial Court and his own wife Amalaberge. In the absence of palace intrigue and court politics, Romulus grows to embrace a new lifestyle. His virtual imprisonment isolated him apart from the guards who were loyal to the Empress alone, and approved visitors who posed no threat from a political or military standpoint. Over several years Romulus becomes increasingly influenced by Christian theologians Romanus of Subiaco and Benedict of Nursia. Despite identifying as a lifelong Christian, Romulus had yet to be baptized though it was common practice to wait until later in life. Having grown to believe his misfortunes to be the result of his upbringing in a sinful environment, Romulus embraces the role of a catechumen in his pursuit of purification. Amalaberge's death liberates Romulus from the Castellum, and under Pope Leo II's protection he is taken to Rome where the Emperor requests to be baptized in the waters of the Tiber River.

1604046951087.png

DAMIANE OF CAERE
The daughter of wealthy Roman parents, Damiane was born in Caere and raised in Rome. At a young age she had to flee the Eternal City along with her mother and brothers when civil war broke out between Romulus Augustus and Amalaberge. Her father supported the Emperor, and was consequently put to death after Rome fell to Amalaberge's forces. Damiane's family was stripped of its wealth, their estates seized by Imperial authority, and her brothers were hunted and executed. Only Damiane and her mother spared on account of being women, but they were left destitute and forced to live on the streets of Neapolis. With so many enemies and their families, however, Damiane was forgotten by the Empress' regime as she was allowed to work in the nearby Castellum Lucullanum where she met the imprisoned Emperor Romulus Augustus. Despite Romulus' newfound piety and conservatism, he became increasingly infatuated with Damiane whom he found to be a kind young woman as virtuous as she was beautiful. No one in the Castellum is aware of how close they truly are; those closest to Romulus believe he intentionally held back his affections to protect Damiane, knowing that the Castellum had her spies as well as guards. But when Amalaberge dies and Romulus is taken to Rome, he brings Damiane with him. No one thinks anything of this plainly dressed girl, and assume she is a mere concubine or play thing that belongs to the Emperor.​

Last edited:
Man to be emperor and hapeless while your crazy barbarian wife is ruling your empire sucks. Especially if your daughters are taking after your wife and plotting.

It is great to see such an high quality late antiquity timeline, the Romans are as fascinating as ever. There was one I noticed while reading this however...
The city’s treasury is used to raise an army loyal to the Emperor, who takes up residence in the Palace of Domitian on Palpatine Hill.
Guess this was supposed to be Palatine Hill, unless Romulus Augustus can shoot lightning out of his hands, in which case the name is very appropriate.

Update: Part 6 is almost done. It'll probably be ready later today.

Man to be emperor and hapeless while your crazy barbarian wife is ruling your empire sucks. Especially if your daughters are taking after your wife and plotting.
Yeah he does seem to be in way over his head, not unlike his younger OTL counterpart. The Imperial family is definitely my favorite aspect of this timeline, and I'm looking for more ways to involve them in future updates.

It is great to see such an high quality late antiquity timeline, the Romans are as fascinating as ever.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy the next update.

Guess this was supposed to be Palatine Hill, unless Romulus Augustus can shoot lightning out of his hands, in which case the name is very appropriate.
Haha thanks for catching that.