What if oil...

There was a story on Yahoo today. The link to the story is... http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040519/nyw186_1.html. It's about turning AgroWaste into Oil. The What If here is what happens when this tech becomes comonplace, and they can produce oil at $15-$20 a barrel? The US produces enough AgroWaste that can be turned into oil, to more than cover what we import, and this tech can also convert other wastes, except radioactives, into oil, even sewage.

What effects will this have on the world?

What is this tech became available commercially 10 years ago?

Tucker Dwynn said:
There was a story on Yahoo today. The link to the story is... http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040519/nyw186_1.html. It's about turning AgroWaste into Oil. The What If here is what happens when this tech becomes comonplace, and they can produce oil at $15-$20 a barrel? The US produces enough AgroWaste that can be turned into oil, to more than cover what we import, and this tech can also convert other wastes, except radioactives, into oil, even sewage.

We may not have gone to war with Iraq in the 90's or even now. It would suddenly become patriotic to be "wasteful". With cheap oil to turn into fuel, we would have no need for fuel efficient vehicles. There may be more pollution of the air and water instead of less. There may be a decrease in the amount of landfill space needed.

Torqumada

Hmm. So we would just let a dictator invade a neighboring nation, kill is own people, etc. Oil is cheap so we abdicate any moral responsibility to caring for our fellow man?

David S Poepoe said:
Hmm. So we would just let a dictator invade a neighboring nation, kill is own people, etc. Oil is cheap so we abdicate any moral responsibility to caring for our fellow man?

I would hope not. But seeing history unfolding as it did, I have to expect yes.

David S Poepoe said:

We've done it before. How many times have we intervened in African violence or violence in places like Timor in the last 50 years? Very little, but then again, they don't have a resource vital to American interests there. I don't agree with it, but we have done it. Anyway, the major reason that Hussein gave for invading Kuwait was oil. If it were so cheap, he may not have done that himself.

Torqumada

Tucker Dwynn said:

It makes for a nice surprise for the gulf states, doesn't it? "Enjoy the cash while it lasts..." They might react by raising the prices as high as they can go for the few years remaining. But then, they already seem to be doing that.

I could see the oil companies going into conniptions over this, some frantically adopting it for their new huge refinery complexes while others either refuse to acknowledge its potential or go Polyanna ("we are *not* out of business. There is still the need for petrochemical products. Yes, plastic bags are us!")

I'm sure you could write a great spy thriller over this. Western governments might just be neutral in their attitude (especially those without much agro-waste production), but I'm pretty sure the Saudis, Kuwaitis and UAE will not like it one bit. Their annual revenues can buy a lot of sabotage, assassination, fake science 'impact analysis' and hush money. On the other hand the Israelis will probably love it - not only can they make oil out of their orange peels and grape skins (while the Jordan water lasts), some their biggest ideological enemies are facing economic collapse...

Bad news for big chunks sub-Saharan Africa. Nigeria's economy is f***ed. The Chad's brightest hope and the Sudan's best chance for peace just went 'thbthbth'. Unless someone manages to effectively harness the other mineral resources for nationbuilding and spreading wealth, prospects are pretty bleak (when you look at places like Sierra Leone or the Congo, mineral resources seem to be more of a curse on their owners, anyway). OTOH, more countries might come to decisde that instead of looking to exploit the 'big bonanza', they could take a leaf out of Ghana's or Tanzania's book.

Oh, and Norway joins the EU - now. Or as soon as they realise how small the market for aquafarmed salmon is if that's all the exports you have left :).

I guess Scottish nationalism goes a little quieter, too, once the seductive 'We want our own oil revenues to stay here' slogan fades.

We can get a couple extra feelgood slogans: "American farmers run the world's SUVs", "Support US agriculture: fill up today", "Minnesota: Growing America's Fuel" Most of Kansas' cornfields could be designated part of the strategic fuel reserve. Recycling becomes patriotic, and the Republicans are now all for it.

Also, didn't the machine process animal and human waste as well? Maybe flush toilets will be taxed out of existence once people realise how far they could drive on one...

Two questions: A:How much energy does it take to get oil from trash? B:How much energy does that oil yield? If B<A, then it just won't work.

David S Poepoe said:

Does anybody honestly believe that we invaded Iraq in 2003 because Saddam was "killing his own people?" Saddam was relatively "tame" so far as that goes...there are a good number of African dictators who killed far more than Saddam ever did, and we never even considered invading them. Not to mention Pol Pot, who killed over a million...about four times what Saddam is thought to have killed.

This whole "we invaded Iraq because Saddam was a brutal dictator" thing is simply an after-the-fact justification which the Bush Administration has been pushing after it failed to find WMDs in Iraq. It has no basis in reality.

Your right. There are repressive regimes that we should invade and take out. We should use our superior military capabilities to bring peace and stability where ever we can. Either that or we just pass toothless UN Resolutions and allow deadlines to come and go.

I read an article in Discover magazine that says the machine produces 85% of the gas it needs to run itself. So It does take a little outside energy, but thats just the gas. It also produces oil (the largest economic portion), namptha, other chemicals, and carbon. It can also kill off the Prions from Mad Cow Disease, so it also fights waste.
The oil companies might like it also, becuase it can cleanly process the refinery wastes (tars, heavy oils, etc).
And becuase it runs on stuff that would normally be waste, it has a net benefit.

It also amounts to a way to have a decentralized oil production system. And garbage dumps would have to be declared historic sites.

Redbeard

Banned
robertp6165 said:
Does anybody honestly believe that we invaded Iraq in 2003 because Saddam was "killing his own people?" Saddam was relatively "tame" so far as that goes...there are a good number of African dictators who killed far more than Saddam ever did, and we never even considered invading them. Not to mention Pol Pot, who killed over a million...about four times what Saddam is thought to have killed.

This whole "we invaded Iraq because Saddam was a brutal dictator" thing is simply an after-the-fact justification which the Bush Administration has been pushing after it failed to find WMDs in Iraq. It has no basis in reality.

Actually I doubt you can find an African dictaor responsible for that many dead among his own people. Saddam's actions against Marsh Arabs and Kurds were nothing short of genocide, and combined with losses in Iraq-Iran war probably is counted in hundreds of thousands. Believeing that OIF was started over Iraqi oil is ridicilous. Iraqi oil was largely away from the world market and that market did OK. And believing that the absense of WMD found after the invasion is proof of absense of WMD is the zenith of naivety. Saddam has used WMD, also against his own people, and had plenty of time to get rid of evidence. And hadn't the coalition invaded it would have been no problem to produce new weapons in very short time - Saddam is/was the WMD - and as the Iraqis themselves wasn't capable of geting rid of Saddam, somebody else had to - God bless America!

Pol Pot and his likes actually was the target of a bloody war, but in vain mainly due to incredibly naive peaceniks! Pacifists are probably the world record holders in responsibility for dead people! Thank God the Vietnamese wasn't troubled by pacifist worries. If they had been, Pol Pot and his followers would have been killing on to this day.

But when we some day don't need Arab oil any longer, it sure will be even less funny to be Arab. Once you have been in a Cadilac a camel somehow looses its attraction. Perhaps they could learn something about hard work and growing fruit and vegetables in the dessert from the Israelis?

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard said:
Actually I doubt you can find an African dictaor responsible for that many dead among his own people.

The high estimate for the number of murders at the hands of Saddam's regime is about 290,000 (and these figures are disputed, as will be discussed below). Some African dictators definitely did kill as many as Saddam. Others killed less, but were equally evil and should have warranted intervention if "removing brutal dictators" is a legitimate reason to invade another country. A few examples...

1) you may recall that the rulers of Rwanda killed about 500,000 people back in the late 1990s. They had killed a further 200,000 or so back in the 1970s, as I recall. We did nothing.
2) Mengistu of Ethiopia killed over a million people during the late 1970s and early 1980s, either directly or by interfering with delivery of food supplies during a drought, causing a famine in his own country. We did nothing, except raise money for food that Mengistu confiscated and gave to his own supporters while allowing the population at large to starve.
3) Almost as bad was Idi Amin (who is thought to have killed over 100,000 Ugandans in the late 1970s). Amin killed so many people so rapidly that there were actually power outages in the capital city which resulted when the bodies of Amin's victims (which were thrown into Lake Victoria) got caught in the hydroelectric dam supplying power for the city. They would just accumulate there until the water supply for the turbines would stop flowing, and would have to be cleared out to get power going again. Again, we did nothing.
4) Emperor Bokassa of the Central African Empire was a cannibal who fed the bodies of political prisoners to friends, family and foreign dignitaries at his coronation ceremony. In another infamous case, he also had a group of school girls beaten to death because they wouldn't wear school uniforms, then kept many of the bodies for his own larders (and as food for his pet crocodiles). And these are just a couple of examples. He was eventually removed by outside intervention, but not full scale invasion...it was a special forces operation carried out by the French Foreign Legion (who says those French don't have balls?). The United States did nothing.
5) Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe is well on his way to duplicating the deed of Ethiopia's Mengistu in creating a famine in his own country which is aimed at eliminating political opposition. He also has had a lot of his political opponents murdered in more traditional ways. Strangely, nobody is talking about military intervention in Zimbabwe.
6) The Islamic regime in the Sudan is engaging in genocide against Christian and animist tribesmen in the southern part of the country. Estimates of the dead range in the hundreds of thousands, even as much as a million. Not only genocide, but they are actually taking people and selling them into slavery! A human slave costs the equivalent of $50.00 in Sudan. A goat sells for the same price. Again, I don't see anybody proposing...to the strains of The Battle Hymn of the Republic...an Operation Sudanese Freedom.

And there are other examples that could be cited. The point is, though, that the United States did not feel the need to remove any of these brutal dictators. What was different or unique in Iraq that caused us to move there?

Redbeard said:
Saddam's actions against Marsh Arabs and Kurds were nothing short of genocide, and combined with losses in Iraq-Iran war probably is counted in hundreds of thousands.

You are kind of comparing apples to oranges here. Deaths caused by warfare are not really the same thing as people murdered for political purposes by a repressive regime. When we talk about the people murdered by Hitler, for example...to whom Saddam is often compared...we don't count in all the people (soldier and civilian alike) who died as a result of military operations. To lump in those deaths with the actual murders committed by the regime for purposes of inflating the body count is a bit much.

And the numbers that are frequently quoted for actual murders committed by Saddam's regime are in dispute. The highest estimate...about 290,000...is simply based on the number of people who are claimed to be "missing and unaccounted for" by Human Rights Watch, a private organization based in the United States which has 2 observers in Iraq. Many of these people may be alive and living in exile, or alive inside Iraq even. We don't know. It may be that high, but then again, it may not.

http://www.antiwar.com/rep/laughland18.html

Redbeard said:
Believeing that OIF was started over Iraqi oil is ridicilous. Iraqi oil was largely away from the world market and that market did OK.

I agree with that. I don't think it was about oil. I think that Bush got hold of some bad intelligence about WMDs and supposed links between Saddam and al-Qaeda, and was pushed to a bad decision by neo-con hawks whose agenda has been to remove Saddam from power since at least the mid-1990s.

Redbeard said:
And believing that the absense of WMD found after the invasion is proof of absense of WMD is the zenith of naivety. Saddam has used WMD, also against his own people, and had plenty of time to get rid of evidence.

If Saddam "got rid of the evidence," then he was, by definition, in compliance with the UN resolutions which Bush used to justify invading Iraq. The only way to "get rid of the evidence" was to destroy the WMDs and dismantle and destroy his facilities for making more. I don't deny at all that Saddam had WMDs in the 1980s, and possibly even into the early 1990s. But I think the UN inspectors were a good bit more successful than Bush et al gave them credit for.

Redbeard said:
And hadn't the coalition invaded it would have been no problem to produce new weapons in very short time

Not without production facilities...of which no evidence has been found in Iraq.

Redbeard said:
Saddam is/was the WMD - and as the Iraqis themselves wasn't capable of geting rid of Saddam, somebody else had to - God bless America!

I too am glad to see Saddam gone. I personally think we should have done it in 1991. But we didn't invade in 2003 because he was a "brutal dictator." That was an afterthought.

Redbeard said:
Pol Pot and his likes actually was the target of a bloody war, but in vain mainly due to incredibly naive peaceniks!

If you are talking about the anti-war protestors during the Vietnam War, to a certain extent I agree. But poor American policy and strategy had a lot to do with the loss, too.

Redbeard said:
Pacifists are probably the world record holders in responsibility for dead people!

I am not a pacifist. I recall a discussion with some of my liberal friends back in college, when we were discussing the Sandinita/Contra conflict in Nicaragua. The liberals were complaining about Reagan's support of the Contras. My response was..."Yeah. I think we ought to just invade the place and be done with it." Needless to say, my liberal friends were not amused. :D My problem with Iraq is not that we we invaded...my problem is with the Bush administration lying about why we did it, and all the flag-waving "patriots" who believe every word he says and accuse you of "treason" if you don't agree. Which is, sad to say, all too prevalent in America today.

Redbeard said:
Thank God the Vietnamese wasn't troubled by pacifist worries. If they had been, Pol Pot and his followers would have been killing on to this day.

Well, the Vietnamese themselves were not motivated by humanitarian motives. They had ideological differences with Pol Pot (who was a Chinese puppet) and wanted to control Cambodia for strategic reasons. When they got there and found what Pol Pot was doing, of course, they made all the political hay out of that they could. But the Vietnamese communists are a pretty bloody-handed lot too. Maybe not a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but somewhat similar.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Cambodia was an American-created disaster that the COMMUNIST Vietnamese eventually solved. Funny thing history, full of irony

Grey Wolf