Finally some religious fundamentalism that doesn't basically amount to crazy evil christians 4.0.
Abrahamic terror is played out "uhhh follow my god or I'll literally kill you dude (and then you're gonna go to hell forever)". Buddhism can hit you with that "you're not even alive bro, you're just a chain of causal events, a Rube Goldberg machine that thinks it has consciousness, now put on this suicide belt."

A sticking point is that Buddhism doesn't really have a universally agreed on depiction of how the laity and clerics lived at the start of the faith which later generations should recreate in full (and declare anyone who doesn't adhere to that an apostate marked for death). Instead it has a lot of different chronologies and recommended approaches to salvation from the different sects, some of which are open to disagreement and some aren't. But what they do agree on, mostly, is that eventually Buddhism will enter an age of great decay, but at the same time great heroes of old will be reborn to personally begin the tradition anew, which gives anyone who can portray themselves as those redeemers (or militarily preparing the ground for their arrival) a lot of latitude in how they want to interpret the many Buddhist traditions. But there's a lot of potential here for a sort of Al-Qaeda/ISIS split, one group that's trying to remain provisional and open to difference (within strict limits), and another that's run out of patience and is going for broke.

Looking forward to strung out Dutch Hippies turning into monks-militant.

Maybe eduism's basic premise is exported and adapted to other parts of the world with different religious and cultural contexts?
I think we're past the point of conscious premises and more looking for methods that will keep people on the job no matter how crazy things get-- basically, how does Eduism justify violence, rather than its deep thoughts about human nature or governance.

A people who won't ever go to space have no reason to be inspired by Ancient Aliens Space Race Illuminism. If they're poor they may prefer something that dignifies their poverty, like being the one group of people in the world not seduced by riches, who see through the scam. "Gold, Glory, and God" verses "Everything burns." Imagine how bad it feels in this world to accept a US dollar and use it as currency, knowing it's still worth something. It would probably feel good to set them on fire.

No money for these guys, they're just in it for the violence. All proceeds go directly to detonating a dirty bomb in as many world capitals as possible. The Zen of North Korea. The Tantric portent of a beheading, captured on those newfangled VHS tapes and smuggled into NUSA-- "Gee whiz, these Llamas are something else!"

Secular and/or atheistic terrorism could be added too, just to even things out. IOTL a lot of terrorism in the mid-to-late 20th century, before Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden, was out of non-religious causes.
Yeah, just some lone wolf stuff. Madness abstracted from all principle. The investigators can reheat the case for thirty years and they'll answer every question except "why".

Last edited:
Finally some religious fundamentalism that doesn't basically amount to crazy evil christians 4.0.

Maybe eduism's basic premise is exported and adapted to other parts of the world with different religious and cultural contexts?

Secular and/or atheistic terrorism could be added too, just to even things out. IOTL a lot of terrorism in the mid-to-late 20th century, before Al-Qaeda and Bin Laden, was out of non-religious causes.
I'm still eagerly awaiting Egoism. A combination of dead-ender Beutelists and Eduists, having adopted the Illuminist "Every Man A God!" principle and taken it to its logical extreme. If any form of mass organization is inherently totalitarian, after all, then a whole movement made up of alienated lone-wolf terrorists would be the only "logical" evolution of those movements.

I'm still eagerly awaiting Egoism. A combination of dead-ender Beutelists and Eduists, having adopted the Illuminist "Every Man A God!" principle and taken it to its logical extreme. If any form of mass organization is inherently totalitarian, after all, then a whole movement made up of alienated lone-wolf terrorists would be the only "logical" evolution of those movements.
Utashe Moment

That's what I think Russia will loop itself into once the kookyness gets way too overboard. Some sort of weird hyper-rationalist ultra-libertarian "ideology" (more like anti-ideology in a conceptual sense, they will genuinely have no beliefs whatsoever, none at all). If the cold darkness of the vacuum was a political system, basically.

Okay tbh I saw these posters in a New Age shop and I just want to see "the Moon Landing was fake" lead directly into a rabbit hole of awakening your Chakra body to join the Builder Race

I mean these guys literally put Qanon on their map, the New Age-Internet madness crossover hit me like a brick when I saw a real artifact of it out in the wild for 30 bucks

Last edited:
A sticking point is that Buddhism doesn't really have a universally agreed on depiction of how the laity and clerics lived at the start of the faith which later generations should recreate in full (and declare anyone who doesn't adhere to that an apostate marked for death). Instead it has a lot of different chronologies and recommended approaches to salvation from the different sects, some of which are open to disagreement and some aren't. But what they do agree on, mostly, is that eventually Buddhism will enter an age of great decay, but at the same time great heroes of old will be reborn to personally begin the tradition anew, which gives anyone who can portray themselves as those redeemers (or militarily preparing the ground for their arrival) a lot of latitude in how they want to interpret the many Buddhist traditions. But there's a lot of potential here for a sort of Al-Qaeda/ISIS split, one group that's trying to remain provisional and open to difference (within strict limits), and another that's run out of patience and is going for broke.

Looking forward to strung out Dutch Hippies turning into monks-militant.
Man, Mainland South East Asia is going to get wild.

Does the Tibet belong to the Dutch colonial empire? In the maps it has a somewhat close color dutch dominated Asia, but it's pretty far from the "core" colonies. Same with Nepal.

Toy Peacemakers in the Happy Meals, perfect. Maybe a little plane with a bomb that drops out of a door. And it can all be made out of small choking-hazard parts and coated in lead paint because consumer safety is a priority in ORRA hell
I see Sammy trying to widen his empire and ending beating Mustapha when he rejects his offer to buy his gas station.

Man, Mainland South East Asia is going to get wild.
I hope that rather than just adding a player to the world stage, they take another's place. Because things have advanced too far and there's not enough benevolent helpers for everyone to reinvent the wheel-- instead it might be best to take over the personnel, institutions, knowledge, and resources formerly dedicated to another cause. So like a collapse of MacArthur's army in China but the drafting of stranded Japanese (who might still treat the symbols of the pagan past with a cautious reverence, but who can now be given the "context" of the scraps they've preserved), sort of like the Iraqi insurgency and then ISIS growing by taking in the ammo dumps Saddam left all over the country, and the personnel of the dissolved army and intelligence services.

Basically if anyone new comes out and does something I'd like to know who they were before, to have confidence they'll be able to accomplish anything at all. Like maybe some old Supercaths turn up in SEA, having taken some ratline to French Africa or even through the Illuminists. Or "Manchurian Candidate" Americans who accept the argument that America needs to pay for what it's done to Asia and the world generally, or think Buddhism might be a way out of Fundie/Wormist killpeopleism

Al Qaeda and ISIS "affiliates", for example, are usually not grown from seeds planted by the parent org-- they're usually totally separate organizations that have adopted the name for branding purposes, and might not even be that dependent on the center for personnel, money, and strategy (it could even be the center that takes handouts from them). But as long as they all contribute to the brand they can present a common face to recruits and enemies, at least until the differences become too wide. So a whole lot of different groups across Southeast and East Asia who don't even have that much in common could spend some time as "affiliates" of someone with more resources.

Some level of nuke-proofing could be done by refusing to take cities (merely encircling them and making them complicit in their own half-siege), at least until you know no one's coming with a bomb or several. Stay spread out and all that.

Does the Tibet belong to the Dutch colonial empire? In the maps it has a somewhat close color dutch dominated Asia, but it's pretty far from the "core" colonies. Same with Nepal.
It's probably just a Dutch ambassador with a small Burmese army as security, with delusions of controlling India and China by damming the tributaries of their rivers or something.

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Al Qaeda and ISIS "affiliates", for example, are usually not grown from seeds planted by the parent org-- they're usually totally separate organizations that have adopted the name for branding purposes, and might not even be that dependent on the center for personnel, money, and strategy (it could even be the center that takes handouts from them). But as long as they all contribute to the brand they can present a common face to recruits and enemies, at least until the differences become too wide. So a whole lot of different groups across Southeast and East Asia who don't even have that much in common could spend some time as "affiliates" of someone with more resources.
Why not have these groups emerge as French/(increasingly as anthrax/chemical pollution destroys France) Indian-backed rebel movements against the Dutch-in-exile and accept roupis and training in base camps Les Imalaias in exchange for not attacking India, Hindu-Buddhist conflict having been far back enough that "supporting Indic (Dharmic really) civilization" can be passed as a rationale

Hindu-Buddhist conflict having been far back enough that "supporting Indic (Dharmic really) civilization" can be passed as a rationale
Having this go the Pakistan-Afghanistan route and finally end in Buddhists plotting against India would be funny

"To the gallant people of Siam"

52630203675_20582f5e25_b.jpg

New Canaan's #1 cocaine-free cigarette brand.

52630309000_5a7f4f4eb9_z.jpg

Last edited:
Destiny Road, take me home
To the place I belong
New Canaan, desert mama
Take me home, Destiny Road
I think if you replaced "Destiny" with "Dest'ny" and used "To New Canaan..." it would preserve the meter. To preserve the rhyme it would probably be something like "To New Canaan, always stayin'" or something like that 🤔