Which of those map design is the most elegant?

Cast your vote:

• Design one

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Design two

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Design three

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Design four

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Blame Thande

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
The title says all. During my (minor) practice with alternate cartography I used four main designs. Now I want to focus on a single design and perfect it. Tell me what do you think about each of those maps. Which one is pretty, which is functional?

1) Bright colors. Different color for each nation. Full nation names in the map key. Capitals marked and signed on the map.

Upload.PNG

2) Light, but not intense colors. Different color for each block of nations. Full nations names on the map, with different font for each block. No capitals.

0.JPG

3) Gray or semi-intense colors. Different color for each significant nation, gray for all other, colored borders for blocks of nations. Full nation names on the map or abbreviation. No capitals.

Upload.PNG

4) Shades of one goldish color. Random color for each nation. Short nation names on the map. Capitals marked, but no signed.

Upload.PNG

And in 2 there isn't ,uch of Bohemia in Bohemia...
Their population must have been relocated, along with the country. ;)

Extra questions:
- Do you prefer highly decorative fonts, like those on 1 and 4 or simple ones?
- Is the color coded map key instantly readable and clear?

Extra answers:

- I prefer fancy fonts to normal Arial/Verdana/Times New Roman any day. If they had Viner Hand on here, I'd use that for all my posts! (And get yelled at.)
- The first map's key is great, because it makes sure not to clog up the screen with info, especially with all the fiddly countries on that map.

Extra questions:
- Do you prefer highly decorative fonts, like those on 1 and 4 or simple ones?
- Is the color coded map key instantly readable and clear?

Simple fonts. Use you creativity in writing, not in making headaches.
-Not to me, I have to switch my gaze back and forth.

This is not Hard Rock or Heavy Metal. Less is better. Look in atlas.

To me, three is ugly as sin, while one connotes a futuristic elegance reminiscent of the 1950s version of the future, thanks in large part to the fonts, bright colors, and clean lines of the borders.

Map no. 4 looks like it came from an 19th-century atlas, nt that that's a bad thing.

3 & 4 are both good maps. Map no. 1 is a little too... MS-Painty, what with all the assorted bright colors and all. Although, of course, the text is in an excellent font.

Last edited: