Why do we say England and not Saxony?

The Germanic people who invaded the British Isles during the 5th century are normally referred to as the Anglo-Saxons, or just the Saxons for short. The term "Saxons" seems to have been used by most of their contemporaries (hence Welsh Seison, Scottish Gaelic Sassenach), and the country ended up being united by the kingdom of the West Saxons. Yet despite this, England's modern name comes from the Angles rather than the Saxons. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is?

As a bonus question, what might the country be called nowadays if it had been named after the Saxons? I know the -sex element in names like Middlesex, Essex, etc., comes from the Saxons, so the undifferentiated "Saxon land" would end up as Sexland? (Stop sniggering in the back.)

The Germanic people who invaded the British Isles during the 5th century are normally referred to as the Anglo-Saxons, or just the Saxons for short. The term "Saxons" seems to have been used by most of their contemporaries (hence Welsh Seison, Scottish Gaelic Sassenach), and the country ended up being united by the kingdom of the West Saxons. Yet despite this, England's modern name comes from the Angles rather than the Saxons. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is?

As a bonus question, what might the country be called nowadays if it had been named after the Saxons? I know the -sex element in names like Middlesex, Essex, etc., comes from the Saxons, so the undifferentiated "Saxon land" would end up as Sexland? (Stop sniggering in the back.)
Saxony was another state, wasn't it, in Germany?

I think it’s because prior to Wessex, Mercia and Northumbria - angle kingdoms, had been the most prestigious of the Germanic kingdoms in Britain. Thus the Angle title and identity was more prestigious than the Saxon one for a ruler of both, even if they themselves were Saxons.

It’s probably comparable to how the Swede identity and title became superior to the Geat one in Sweden, though both were officially kept in that example.

The name of some place is sometimes decided by one or two people who created titles for themselves. Or by people writing chronicles or official letters to Rome to receive some kind of Papal and international recognition.

Names should have a nice Latin meaning : Saxonia, Sassonia...

What @Atterdag sad, plus i think it was a conscious political move by the west saxon kings to integrate the angle/anglo-danish realms. This is the same reason why Alfred coined "anglo-saxon" in the first place, and why Aethelstan patronized the Northumbrian cult of St Cuthbert

What POD could ensure the reverse became true?
Replace the Mercian supremacy with a Saxon kingdom of choice (Hwicce possibly, though I'm not 100% if it was Saxon, if so have it pull the uno reverse card on Penda). Alternatively, and a bit cheeky, reverse the Anglo-Saxons migrations so that the Saxons end up in otl Angle land and Angles in otl Saxon land.

Last edited:
What POD could ensure the reverse became true?
Several options spring to mind:

- Make Wessex stronger pre-Viking invasion, or at least more prestigious (e.g., by having TTL's *Bede come from and work in Wessex rather than Northumbria).

- Have *Mercia and/or *Northumbria founded by Saxons rather than Angles.

Very anticlimacticly, it may also have something to do with how we say "Anglo-Saxon" instead of Saxo-Angle".

And if you're going to shorten Anglo-Saxon to a single word, most people are going to go with the first element.

I was under the impression at it being a political choice as the Saxon kingdoms to the South created a united Anglo-Saxon identity using the name "England" as a way to bring in the Angles in the North, or at least giving themselves a claim to their lands through that.

Then again I can't recall where I read that so it might be completely fabricated