Why is Muhammad a common Muslim name, but Jesus not a common Christian name?

Indeed. It's pretty common in Spanish speaking countries. But not anywhere else.

Historically, Jesus and, to some extent Mary, were considered too holy for profane human use. In Ireland, Mary as a given name is reasonably modern, for instance.

In early modern French you get weird male names like Jean-Marie....

Certainly true about Jesus, but Mary?

Mary/Marie/Maria/etc is super common across Europe. I would guess that it’s probably been historically the most common female name (and Joseph probably the most common male name).

Mary/Marie/Maria/etc is super common across Europe. I would guess that it’s probably been historically the most common female name (and Joseph probably the most common male name).
yeah jose ( ie joseph is really common)

Theory: Islam first took off, obviously, among the Arabs. I understand that Mohammad wasn’t an uncommon Arab name in the time before Islam. So if you already know some Mohammads, you got an uncle Mohammad, whatever, it wouldn’t seem too strange to give that name to your kid. Meanwhile, Christianity rose to prominence and power not on the strength of the Jewish population, but with Greek and Latin converts. Some dude in Italy or Anatolia probably has never heard the name Yeshua in any context other than as the son of God, and so may have been more hesitant to use it as a common name.

I always thought that in Italy "Gesù" was forbidden by the law, but turns out I was wrong. It just a long-standing tradition, apparently. Although I do think most officers in the Anagrafe (the place where parents go registering their newborn kids) would object, and, up to some twenty years ago, had the effective power to forbid parents given a certain name to their kids should they wish so (based on the law, of course).

I thought that Muhammad was a common name because it was required but now I'm not sure. It's probably very obvious to practicing Muslims but Google wasn't very helpful.
Eh, not really. You can be named Conny McWalnut of House Peanut but still a muslim.

The reason why most muslim have their name contain 'Muhammad' is that the meaning of it is "the praiseworthy".

And the people believe that name play a part to shape someone. Exp; if that person name "Hound", and people keep call his name by that throughout the life, he might become one.

So, a muslim have put his son's name "Muhammad" alongside other name because he hoped that the sons became more like Him, hopefully.

But that i can tell as a muslim myself.

Perhaps it has to do with the Catholic/Protestant split. Not sure but I don't see the name Jesus in many historically Protestant countries all that much.

Also, Muhammad for Muslims was the prophet and messenger of God, which Christians recognize many to have been, like Elijah, Jeremiah, John the Baptist, Nathan, etc, and these are names that you see in Christian countries at times. Jesus meanwhile for Christians is the Son of God, and that is a pretty big distinction. To name your kid Jesus in a culture where it isn't common is a pretty conspicuous thing to do.

I agree with you about Mary, but I think John has historically been more popular than Joseph, though I could be wrong. Which brings us back to John the Baptist and John the brother of Jesus, etc...

“It is the responsibility of every father to choose a good name for his child."
"Whoever gets four sons, and he has not named even one after me has been cruel on me"
- Muhammad

As I understand, it's a religious/cultural tradition to name at least one of your sons after the Prophet.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
According to Wikipedia, the phenomenon is pretty easy to explain: Mohammed was a pretty common name among Arabs (given that the historical Mohammed is "just" considered a prophet and not God, there wasn't any stigma resting on the name), and that, during Al-Andalud and the Reconquista, influenced Christian practices.

In Norway the name Maria seems to have become popular quite recently (particularly in the 1980s and 1990s), although the variety Marie was more popular 100 years earlier. Unfortunately I do not have any statistics for before 1880. There are less than 100 persons with the name Jesus, probably immigrants. Personally I have never met anyone with this name. Maria, on the other hand is quite common. My oldest niece (born 1995) is named Maria.

maria.png
marie.png

Philip

Donor
The 'real' Jesus would probably go by 'Jess' or 'Jessie', which still is a pretty common name.

The name Jesse comes from Jesse the father of David. The names Jesus and Jesse are not directly related.

Which brings us back to John the Baptist and John the brother of Jesus

Jesus's brothers were, traditionally, James, Joseph/Joses, Jude and Simon. You are probably thinking of the apostle John.