WI: Castilian King killed in Aljubarrota?

In 1385, Portugal staged one of the biggest upsets in military history by defeating Castile in the Battle of Aljubarrota. However, what's not widely known is that the Castilian king was in the battle. As the Castilian Army was being destroyed, the King hurriedly left, but not before being chased by a Portuguese soldier, who attempted to capture / kill the Castilian King, however he failed and ended up dying before reaching the King.
But WI this hadn't happened and Juan I of Castile died in Portugal in 1385? How would this impact Portuguese and Castilian history?
@Kellan Sullivan @King of Danes @isabella @Viriato @Kurd Gossemer @Aluma @DrakeRlugia @raharris1973

Last edited:
For starters, Castile gets a minor king, Enrique, who was 6 at the time. We would have what happened in 1390, when Juan I died, but earlier. With the high rate of Castilian noblemen dead on the field, the regency would be not too difficult, as it could be if Juan Tellez had survived. Being a cousin of the late king would have made him suitable for the regency council. However, if the casualties are not changed, Tellez is out of the matter. Could Pedro IV of Aragon, grandfather of the new king, have a role in the regency council? If so, it may introduce some degree of unstability and scheming that may last suntil Pedro's death in 1387.

If nothing of that sort happens, little would change in this TL vs OTL.

For starters, Castile gets a minor king, Enrique, who was 6 at the time. We would have what happened in 1390, when Juan I died, but earlier. With the high rate of Castilian noblemen dead on the field, the regency would be not too difficult, as it could be if Juan Tellez had survived. Being a cousin of the late king would have made him suitable for the regency council. However, if the casualties are not changed, Tellez is out of the matter. Could Pedro IV of Aragon, grandfather of the new king, have a role in the regency council? If so, it may introduce some degree of unstability and scheming that may last suntil Pedro's death in 1387.

If nothing of that sort happens, little would change in this TL vs OTL.
Thank you. I do think that it would be harmful to Castile having its king be killed by a weaker enemy in foreign soil

With John of Trastamara dead and a minor as king could the attempt of John of Gaunt to claim the Castilian throne be successful? IOTL he invaded Castile in July 1386, maybe ITTL he could do a bit earlier?

With John of Trastamara dead and a minor as king could the attempt of John of Gaunt to claim the Castilian throne be successful? IOTL he invaded Castile in July 1386, maybe ITTL he could do a bit earlier?
The aftermath of Aljubarrota was not exactly favorable to Castille as it was; nevertheless, the Castillians pressed the English out. I could see John being favored as an adult King from a fairly military prestigious dynasty, eminently desirable after such a massive disaster (and preferable, probably, to a six year old; apart from dynastic continuity and the opportunities of a lengthy regency, that is). One of the bigger knocks against him was his promise to cede territory to Portugal in return for their military support, necessary owing to his army being substantially reduced by disease after his occupation of Galicia; if he positions himself as a staunchly pro-Spanish King and avoids such promises he may well win some support, as a guarantor of Castille's territory against any Portuguese aggression.

He would need to win over the Castilian nobility politically, rather than hoping for a military conquest. Easier with King Juan dead on the battlefield, but not easy.

Last edited:
Something to note is that Beatrice of Portugal, John of Castile's wife is now widowed. So, someone might marry her to revitalize claims against Portugal. So Portugal might not be entirely safe just yet. Perhaps the next claimant can do better, but then again Portugal defended itself well enough after the last series of Castilian invasions.

Something to note is that Beatrice of Portugal, John of Castile's wife is now widowed. So, someone might marry her to revitalize claims against Portugal. So Portugal might not be entirely safe just yet. Perhaps the next claimant can do better, but then again Portugal defended itself well enough after the last series of Castilian invasions.
Beatrice of Portugal can marry the son of John I of Portugal to settle claims.

Last edited: