WI: Earlier 90s Japanese Sonic anime instead of AoStH and SatAM?

So, what if Sega of America never approached DiC to make a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon for Saturday mornings, which would eventually split and evolve into Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, with the other half evolving into the cult favourite simply titled Sonic the Hedgehog (or retrospectively known as Sonic SatAM), but instead Sega of Japan got an anime studio to produce not a multi-part OVA, but rather a earlier full-fledged Sonic anime series, with SoJ imaginably seeing potential in a Sonic anime boosting sales of the games, as well as exposing more Japanese people to the world of Sonic? What anime studio would tackle Sonic? How would it, likely to a moderate or even small extent, though correct me if I didn't imagine more realistically, affect the series going forward, especially with its creator, Naoto Ohshima, who was inspired by OTL's SatAM? Maybe a earlier 90s Sonic anime could be a helping contribution to the increasing Western popularity of Japanese anime in the 90s, with Sonic's then-current status as a respectable icon of pop culture possibly also making matters better? The legendary internet meme from the late-2000s of Dr. Robotnik saying "PINGAS" will most certainly be butterflied away, for the worse, but perhaps something memeworthy could be spawned from this 90s Sonic anime instead, though likely not to the greater impact that "PINGAS" had on the comedic subculture of the interwebs that is memes as a whole?

Last edited:
So, what if Sega of America never approached DiC to make a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon for Saturday mornings, which would eventually split and evolve into Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, with the other half evolving into the cult favourite simply titled Sonic the Hedgehog (or retrospectively known as Sonic SatAM), but instead Sega of Japan got an anime studio to produce not a multi-part OVA, but rather a earlier full-fledged Sonic anime series, with SoJ imaginably seeing potential in a Sonic anime boosting sales of the games, as well as exposing more Japanese people to the world of Sonic? What anime studio would tackle Sonic? How would it, likely to a moderate or even small extent, though correct me if I didn't imagine more realistically, affect the series going forward, especially with its creator, Naoto Ohshima, who was inspired by OTL's SatAM? Maybe a earlier 90s Sonic anime could be a helping contribution to the increasing Western popularity of Japanese anime in the 90s, with Sonic's then-current status as a respectable icon of pop culture possibly also making matters better? The legendary internet meme from the late-2000s of Dr. Robotnik saying "PINGAS" will most certainly be butterflied away, for the worse, but perhaps something memeworthy could be spawned from this 90s Sonic anime instead, though likely not to the greater impact that "PINGAS" had on the comedic subculture of the interwebs that is memes as a whole?
Okay to give my Thoughts on this I got two things that came to my mind first.

1. This would more than likely be earlier version of Sonic x just without the boat Load of characters made in the 2000s somewhere just going to be stuck with Sonic eggman Maybe tails and
    images.jpeg
    These guy's I can totally see whoever makes this anime Just Looking at this image and going "Okay hedgehogs are afraid of crocodiles right? So he's going to be Sonic's enemy And the monkey looks like he would be a friend of Sonic? So he's an ally" So we could potentially see vector the crocodile become like an rival to Sonic and this might have the effect of butterflying away knuckles so that would suck But them's the brakes.
  2. Who would be the studio to make it in the first Place? I know this is going to sound really stupid but studio gainax They are at this point in time Still a relatively young company and would be willing to work on anything to keep the lights on So imagine a scenario where this again to an extended kind of young anime studio gets giving the opportunity to work on the new Hip IP made by the rising star in the game's industry Sega They would have to be foolish to not take that opportunity and this could potentially have beneficial effects For Gainax if the show turns out to be a big hit either in Japan or in the State's He could potentially begin a positive and friendly relationship between the two companies And who knows Maybe this could lead to Sega funding neon Genesis and in the process potentially giving Sega a foothold in the anime industry just a thought.

Okay to give my Thoughts on this I got two things that came to my mind first.

1. This would more than likely be earlier version of Sonic x just without the boat Load of characters made in the 2000s somewhere just going to be stuck with Sonic eggman Maybe tails and View attachment 890379 These guy's I can totally see whoever makes this anime Just Looking at this image and going "Okay hedgehogs are afraid of crocodiles right? So he's going to be Sonic's enemy And the monkey looks like he would be a friend of Sonic? So he's an ally" So we could potentially see vector the crocodile become like an rival to Sonic and this might have the effect of butterflying away knuckles so that would suck But them's the brakes.
  2. Who would be the studio to make it in the first Place? I know this is going to sound really stupid but studio gainax They are at this point in time Still a relatively young company and would be willing to work on anything to keep the lights on So imagine a scenario where this again to an extended kind of young anime studio gets giving the opportunity to work on the new Hip IP made by the rising star in the game's industry Sega They would have to be foolish to not take that opportunity and this could potentially have beneficial effects For Gainax if the show turns out to be a big hit either in Japan or in the State's He could potentially begin a positive and friendly relationship between the two companies And who knows Maybe this could lead to Sega funding neon Genesis and in the process potentially giving Sega a foothold in the anime industry just a thought.
Now that you've said it, I actually think Gainax isn't a unlikely option for a earlier Sonic anime, though in the case that said anime does flop in Japan given Sonic's obscurity over there, it could only add salt to Gainax's financial wound, so either Evangelion could be more of a close-called saving grace for them, or even worse, Gainax could potentially go out of business, with Evangelion either being stillborn or ending up at another anime studio.

Now that you've said it, I actually think Gainax isn't a unlikely option for a earlier Sonic anime, though in the case that said anime does flop in Japan given Sonic's obscurity over there, it could only add salt to Gainax's financial wound, so either Evangelion could be more of a close-called saving grace for them, or even worse, Gainax could potentially go out of business, with Evangelion either being stillborn or ending up at another anime studio.
Given the fact that Sega would probably be willing to help shoulder the cost and the Fact That Sega of America would want to bring the show over to America to help keep the momentum of the games going. and Help With making Sonic a multimedia icon There's a great chance that gainax could make back their money via Licensing to American TV networks. And this could also have the added effective of potentially making Japanese animation of more popular thing in American Earlier.

Who would be the studio to make it in the first Place?
Given the fact that Sega would probably be willing to help shoulder the cost and the Fact That Sega of America would want to bring the show over to America to help keep the momentum of the games going. and Help With making Sonic a multimedia icon There's a great chance that gainax could make back their money via Licensing to American TV networks. And this could also have the added effective of potentially making Japanese animation of more popular thing in American Earlier.
TMS, Gainax(SEGA TRIED TO BUY THEM HARD IN THE 90'S...AND THAT WAS PRE EVANGELION), OLM, etc,

And as mr redstone said, the anime would be done for the USA and foreign market but done in japan so they keep their canon...and that might impact the games and marketing in the USA too

Depends on when in the early 90s, however. Cause who knows, depending on which scenarists they hire maybe the Anime would come up with arc sand characters that ITTL appeared later in the games, like Metal Sonic, Amy, the Echidna civilisation, Chaos, Shadow, the ARK, etc...

You have a point there, my bud. The success of the Sonic anime in the West could actually keep Gainax financially stable now that you've made a point.

Surprise, they tried at least since Alisa Dragoon, and once again when SEGA was expanding mid 90s,
I want a source for this. Man, imagine that happening.

On main topic, Sonic as a franchise has traditionally (quite I famously) struggled in Japan, with him being a very Western-appealing character even in his default form before Sega of America made their corrections. A longer lasting Sonic anime would require Sonic being a bigger hit in his native land.

On main topic, Sonic as a franchise has traditionally (quite I famously) struggled in Japan, with him being a very Western-appealing character even in his default form before Sega of America made their corrections. A longer lasting Sonic anime would require Sonic being a bigger hit in his native land.
Or putting the horse before the cart? Making the anime to promote sonic in Japan? Again sonic bad luck in Japan seems the Megadrive was not that popular and when the Saturn was...it never got a real sonic game..the irony

Or putting the horse before the cart? Making the anime to promote sonic in Japan? Again sonic bad luck in Japan seems the Megadrive was not that popular and when the Saturn was...it never got a real sonic game..the irony
Maybe this could work. I still can't find a source for Sega-Gainax thing you mentioned.

Maybe this could work. I still can't find a source for Sega-Gainax thing you mentioned.
It was an off hand comment by a former gainax artist,was mentioned in untold story of japanese developers, people forgot gainax did used to make videogames, that is why Sega wanted it

It has to be before Eva, Eva sucess saved gainax,ittl might even make more bold so wouldn't need Sega for funding
Right.
Yeah....Sega just.....they're something alright.
It was an off hand comment by a former gainax artist,was mentioned in untold story of japanese developers, people forgot gainax did used to make videogames, that is why Sega wanted it
Oh..........Gainax used to make videogames?

Oh..........Gainax used to make videogames?
Yeah, quite a few. Princess Maker is one of their most notable video games (and a basis for a few games in the Evangelion franchise, even).

In terms of what kind of anime this Sonic anime would be... There's plenty to go off. There was a Sonic manga for a while, maybe some elements make their way from there?

In what ways? Maybe Sega doesn't botch the Mega Drive in Japan so that it becomes a stronger fighter against Nintendo's Super Famicom and NEC's PC Engine? Maybe Sega decides to tweak Sonic during development so that he appeals more to his home country? Any other ways that Sonic could become a more recognizable icon in his native country of Japan?

Last edited:
In what ways? Maybe Sega doesn't botch the Mega Drive in Japan so that it becomes a stronger fighter against Nintendo's Super Famicom and NEC's PC Engine? Maybe Sega decides to tweak Sonic during development so that he appeals more to his home country? Any other ways that Sonic could become a more recognizable icon in his native country of Japan?
Yeah, quite a few. Princess Maker is one of their most notable video games (and a basis for a few games in the Evangelion franchise, even).

In terms of what kind of anime this Sonic anime would be... There's plenty to go off. There was a Sonic manga for a while, maybe some elements make their way from there?
That works!