WI Francis of Austria, son of Maximilian I and Mary of Burgundy, lives to adulthood?

As says the title: WI Francis, the youngest son of Maximilian and Mary, who lived only little less then four months, had survived to adulthood? How could it affect Maximilian's plans for the marriages and alliances of the Habsburgs? Also, considering how odd was Mary's death, probably it would be enough to butterfly away her accident.

I think francis would be pegged as future holy roman emperor while philip is set to inherit burgundy/the low countries. his survival could very well butterfly mary's. if things go as iotl though except for francis living to adulthood (a scenario I find unlikely but not impossible) then i could see him marrying either maria of aragon and castile (replacing the match between philip and juana, with philip marrying elsewhere and juana probably remarrying to manuel of portugal after isabel jr's death) or a jagiellon princess (probably elisabeth, the youngest child and daughter of casimir iv and elisabeth of austria).

Indeed, or maybe as a second wife to Ferdinand of Austria (assuming she hasn't remarried by then) or Louis XII if Anne of Brittany dies earlier
She can NOT marry Ferdinand of Aragon, who was father of her first late husband and will NOT marry in France. Plus negotiations for a match between her and Henry VII were started before Philip’s death

Last edited:
She can NOT marry Ferdinand of Aragon, who was father of her first late husband and will NOT marry in France. Plus negotiations for a match between her and Henry VII were started before Philip’s death
I mean a Papal Dispensation could solve the late husband issue, though I did forget about that too. Henry VII is the most likely husband for Margaret of Austria here though (and frankly I love the idea of two marrying)

I mean a Papal Dispensation could solve the late husband issue, though I did forget about that too. Henry VII is the most likely husband for Margaret of Austria here though (and frankly I love the idea of two marrying)
She was Ferdinand‘s daughter for the Church, and a wedding between them would made ZERO sense as try to guess for what reason Ferdinand remarried? A son by a new bride would inherit Aragon instead of Juana, who was married to Margaret‘s brother Philip (Ferdinand and Philip hated each other)

She was Ferdinand‘s daughter for the Church, and a wedding between them would made ZERO sense as try to guess for what reason Ferdinand remarried? A son by a new bride would inherit Aragon instead of Juana, who was married to Margaret‘s brother Philip (Ferdinand and Philip hated each other)
True, now that I think about that match would make zero sense!

I agree that margaret would want henry and eleanor to be married, but i think catherine is likely to be kept in england unless things about her dowry are settled. ferdinand will no doubt still want her to marry either of the henrys.
OTL Ferdinand (well that was more Isabella) was totally against marrying Catherine to Henry VII and ATL Henry VII would remarry to Margaret of Austria. That ATL marriage would likely push the full engagement of Henry and Eleanor before his father‘s death. Henry VII was never so convinced of a wedding between his younger son and Catherine, specially NOT with better a alternative available. Also Henry VII was NOT interested in keeping Catherine in England after breaking her engagement to young Henry. She remained exclusively because her father named her as ambassador in 1507 in the hope to be able to recover the match, that ignoring the fact who Henry VII had found a better match for his heir in Eleanor of Austria (as he had hopes who Austria/Burgundy + Castile would pay the dowry and be a worthy ally as Ferdinand of Aragon had demonstrated to not be trustworthy in either thing).
Once Isabella was dead and Ferdinand had demonstrated to NOT be reliable, Henry VII lost any interest in Catherine (either as bride or daughter-in-law)

Last edited: